Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
:siren: I HAVE A PROJECT FOR ALL OF YOU :siren:

Doubtless a bunch of your Facebook friends bought a bunch of food and don’t know poo poo about cooking. They might screw up a lot of dishes or maybe get paralyzed with the fear of not knowing wtf to do with the food they bought and let it rot.

PUT A CALL OUT ON FACEBOOK for anyone who has cooking questions and offer to give them cooking guidance!

This is not the time to get angry about chicken cheese type of poo poo there is going to be plenty of chicken cheese Easy-Bake-Oven type poo poo out there! Do not turn up your noses! Help your friends learn basics, explain like they’re five!

(It’s entirely possible nobody will bite)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

quote:

I have bok choy, eggplant and some mushrooms (maitake and oyster). Just wondering what you might do with them, to see if you can spark some new ideas. xx

What can you do with these besides a stir fry

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 14, 2020

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Question from Debate & Discussion: if one can't find a better one, will a meat thermometer do, or will it be wildly inaccurate? I asked him to clarify if it's digital or analog

Nevermind, it appears that only Thermapen is reliable to 0.7°F, every other cooking thermometer is accurate to 2°F which is useless

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 15, 2020

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What can be done with:

Blanched spinach, baby carrots, mushrooms, egg whites, frozen chicken breast, broccoli

Is allergic to cheese, doesn't like cooked lemon, doesn't like shakshuka

I already suggested curry would work with most of those

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Viruses don't survive in raw milk, right? Just bacteria?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/dyg5am/japanese-people-are-reviving-a-1000-year-old-dish-because-of-coronavirus?utm_source=digg

Japanese People Are Reviving a 1,000-Year-Old Dish Because of Coronavirus

quote:

in Japan, rumors that dairy farmers could lose their jobs due to a virus-related milk surplus have caused well-meaning residents to buy more milk than they know what to do with.

As a result, people have been making a milk-based food that hasn’t really been eaten in the country for the past 1,000 years or so. The cheese-like so or su (蘇) was reportedly a luxury food from the Asuka period (538-710 AD) to the Heian period (795-1185) and is considered to be Japan’s first dairy product. At the time—and depending on which historical account you’re scrolling through—so was eaten by the aristocracy for either medicinal reasons or just as a straight-up dessert. It was also possibly given as a gift to assorted emperors.

Regardless of its purpose then, so is having a moment now, because what else are you going to do with those five extra gallons of milk? According to SoraNews24, there’s no exact recipe, but a book that was finished in 927 has a set of “governmental regulations” regarding its preparation. The general idea was to boil down approximately 18 liters (4.76 gallons) of milk until there’s only 1.8 liters (.48 gallons) left. That results in a dense dairy solid that can be sliced and eaten.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Rather die than eat gluten free pasta

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
For the record, the run on groceries is kinda stupid because the warehouses basically have infinite food and supplies they just need you to calm the gently caress down so they can move them from the warehouses to the store. Just get enough to self isolate for two weeks.

You can still get plenty of food as takeout at restaurants because it supports them from going under and minimizes your exposure. Make sure to tip because tip earners are getting hosed.

Also, everyone should stockpile a couple weeks worth of food at all times anyways because earthquakes, hurricanes, blizzards, etc.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 17, 2020

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Bake and eat like a potato chip? Use binder clips to keep it stretched flat on a cooling rack or something

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Cream of asparagus soup. Strain after blending, or just blend?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I will vouch for visiting your local ethnic market.

“They say they don’t have, but they have! Sake! Rice! Beans! AHAHAHA!”

Prepare to get stared at the same way dark skinned people do in white neighborhoods tho. If people aren’t staring at you, your grocery isn’t ethnic enough.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/03/food-safety-and-coronavirus-a-comprehensive-guide.html

Kenji: there are no documented cases of coronavirus transmission through food or food packaging

Order takeout! Support restaurants! But wash your hands after using a keypad or door handle....

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Seafood City is sort of a hardcore asian market

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay got a friend who was on her anniversary in Italy and got stuck due to the lockdown.

I made a video about how to make shakshuka. She wants to make it, but doesn’t have harissa or Gochujang. No cumin or paprika either, she says Italians apparently don’t believe in spices. I suggested she try an American or Middle eastern store and she says they’re all closed.

She has red pepper flakes. What else would go with red pepper flakes to make a ramshackle shakshuka? Olive oil, black pepper, extra garlic? Soy sauce? An anchovy fillet?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Awesome thanks SubG

It’s cool that I was almost there off the top of my head, just missing the basil and parm

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If you live in a big city and want to go to a grocery where EVERYBODY wears masks, go to a Korean grocery. gently caress yeah.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Bon Apetit shut down their office so all the hosts are recording from home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yssNu8Eynb8

Their video editors are doing a great job

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
gently caress I just made some amazing ad hoc chicken

Dropped off most of it and a stuffing waffle, modernist Mac, brussel sprouts and a color changing French 75 for a friend’s birthday

Kept one drumstick for me, so good

Cooking for friends on Facebook live is fun, you guys are all great cooks, entertain your friends

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Looks great!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Just want to point out the miracle that is the Apple. Looked in the back of my fridge and found an apple that’s been sitting there for 4-6 months, who knows how long. Still good!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://thekrazycouponlady.com/tips/money/restaurant-depot-wholesale-grocery-prices

Restaurant Depot is now open to the public! Get massive industrial portions of food at wholesale prices! See the whacky no-name brands cheap restaurants and bars use, like Senator Whiskey!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOZmnG7xc94

Made scallion pancake, but I fried it, then pulled it out and rolled it even flatter with a rolling pin, then fried it again. Got some great crunch and flaky layering

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Trip report: Restaurant Depot is open to the public now since the restaurant industry is collapsing.

https://imgur.com/a/YXSXpDY

Open 7am to 3pm, they require non-members to sign in. They are very empty since I guess most of the public hasn’t caught on yet or doesn’t want LOL huge portions.

No returns because of coronaparanoia. I accidentally bought 20 pounds of orecchiette thinking it was elbow macaroni. Oh well!

No booze sales to the public, which is unfortunate because I was curious about the bottom shelf Bar Code Brand garbage they had

A few things have regular human portions, like chocolate syrup, oats, etc but most of it’s like 6 pound cans of fruits and veggies, 20 pound bags of beans and 50 pound bags of rice or onions or potatoes

Plenty of jugs of cleaning supplies, but no Clorox wipes, no Lysol can sprays and no yeast

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
My friend in Chicago says his local one is swamped by old Greek ladies though so YMMV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I got celery, romaine and beets from a friend. What should I do with them