Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

What can you do with these besides a stir fry
When my garden is producing eggplants like crazy I alternate between doing variations on fish fragrant eggplant (which is stir fry-ish) and [random pasta] alla Norma (roasted eggplant and tomato sauce) or alle Melanzane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Question from Debate & Discussion: if one can't find a better one, will a meat thermometer do, or will it be wildly inaccurate? I asked him to clarify if it's digital or analog
How long is a piece of string?

It's certainly possible that a cooking thermometer will be calibrated well enough, but I sure as poo poo wouldn't lay money on it. A Mk4 Thermapen is +/- 0.7 F/0.4 C when it's new, for example. Most oral thermometers at least claim a +/- 0.2 F/0.1 C accuracy (although I have no idea how many actually do, or how fast they fall out of calibration).

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Rather die than eat gluten free pasta

It's kinda wild seeing what items in every section are the nerd that doesn't get invited to the dance. Locally in frozen veg it's okra, which is nuts because okra owns. Similarly all the soft cheeses are loving gone but there's still blocks of hard cheeses.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

For the record, the run on groceries is kinda stupid because the warehouses basically have infinite food and supplies they just need you to calm the gently caress down so they can move them from the warehouses to the store. Just get enough to self isolate for two weeks.
Yeah, I almost added a comment that I hope everyone who is currently freaking out fills up their pantry/freezer soon. So all the poo poo that's currently not on shelves comes back, because there's no earthly reason for there to be shortages on most poo poo.

I normally don't really stock up on anything because I live within walking distance of one grocery store and within a mile of another, so I usually end up going to the grocery store a couple times a week. And this time last week the only thing that was completely sold out (that I noticed) was fuckin' toilet paper. As of last Friday things were starting to look slightly picked-over in the meat section and the fresh produce was mostly just plain empty except for poo poo like leafy greens. Canned veg, canned soup, and that kind of thing were down to scattered random cans on the shelves. Dried pasta and bulk rice, beans, and that kind of thing were looking low with a bunch of empty spaces on the shelves. This afternoon fresh and frozen meat was completely gone, frozen veg were completely gone (except for those lonely-rear end bags of okra), eggs were completely gone, soft cheeses were completely gone, the bakery section was completely bare, the baking section was completely bare except for a couple of packets of yeast, baking powder, and that kind of thing, canned soda was down to a couple of off-brands. But on the other hand fresh produce was low but back in stock. Like none of the produce section displays looked full like they do on an ordinary day, but I don't think there were any empty spaces. Also other perishable poo poo that presumably nobody is trying to stockpile/freeze--like fresh milk--were at more or less normal stock levels.

Hopefully as poo poo starts coming back in stock people will learn that they don't have to freak the gently caress out over groceries and it doesn't turn into a crisis manufactured by the prepper-types trying to build a dragon hoard.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

The canonical Southern approach to pork rind is to fry for a couple minutes and then bake/roast on a rack. You can bake/roast and then fry if you want a more chicharron-type thing (less like a rasher of bacon, more like puffy bag-of-pork-rinds pork rinds).

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Cream of asparagus soup. Strain after blending, or just blend?
If I was trying to get laid or hired off of my cooking I'd strain, but as apocalypse survival soup gently caress straining.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Guildenstern Mother posted:

So weirdly my grocery store was pretty ok on produce, more than plenty for all the canned goods and pasta etc, but the meat section was fuuuuuuuucked. Nothing left but party packs of chicken wings, sausage, and some of the weirder roast cuts. Does anyone know if a pork sirloin tip roast will shred easily when cooked or is this going to be a slice thing? Also can I slice off some before cooking to make tonkatsu or is that just crazypants?

This is probably the first time I've entered a grocery store and not walked out with a baguette or something similar. I'm committed to trying the artisan bread in 5 min a day trick while I'm unemployed and have a few buddies doing it along with me so we can compare notes and pretend like its human contact.
Sliced pork sirloin should work just fine for tonkatsu, just slice thin and pound like you would with a cutlet. If you're trying to make pulled pork with a sirloin roast that'll work, but it'll be drier than e.g. butt or shoulder so if you're roasting it in a pan watch it and/or use more braising liquid. If you're doing it in a slow cooker you might want to add a little more liquid but it should work out more or less the same.

In terms of panic buying-induced shortages, locally the white people grocery stores are all pretty picked over but the local Korean grocery store isn't as bad. And I went to a local wholesale/restaurant food service place and they were both a) not packed with people and b) had full shelves. I went in looking for beef brisket and they were out of that (apparently due to St Patrick's Day) but everything else looked to be at normal stock levels. Of course they don't sell like individual steaks or anything like that, just cryopacked primals. Which might be a bit much if you're not used to dealing with that kind of thing and/or you're just cooking for yourself, but isn't a big deal if you've got a knife and some freezer space.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I was going to pressure cook it, so moisture hopefully won't be an issue. Glad to hear I can still get both my plans off the ground.
If you want more specific tips, you can definitely find recipes specifically for pressure cooker pulled pork made with pork sirloin.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I gotta go to the supermarket to stock up ahead of a rumored shelter-in-place and goddammit I wish I had more staple recipes in my head cause I can't think of what to get besides rice and beans. Plus, I'm still doing low-carb.
Eggs unless you've got something against eggs. The best by date is suuuuuper conservative, so if you go through eggs anyway don't sweat picking up more than you think you need immediately.

Cheese unless you've got something against cheese. Locally cheese got bought out of the chain supermarkets, but my local wholesale/food service supply place still had plenty.

Other dairy unless you've got something against dairy. Remember that you can freeze most dairy if you have to.

Those are fairly durable proteins if you get sick of eating beans.

Of course there are animal proteins if you can get them and you eat animal protein. Remember that you can freeze what you're not going to consume immediately. Pick up freezer storage bags and/or wax paper/parchment for storage if you aren't already set up for freezing poo poo. And again, locally at least the chain supermarkets have been bought out when I've checked in the past week or so, but the local Korean market and food service place have been at normal stock levels.

Also if you haven't I'd check my levels of other stuff: salt, sugar, butter, cooking oils, and so on.

And I don't think I ever leave a grocery store, in a time of crisis or otherwise, without picking up some garlic, onion, and whatever other common cooking veg might happen to be in season (basil unless my garden is producing, some green beans or broccoli or whatever, and so on). And about half the time I end up picking up a jar of sambal or oyster sauce or whatever because I always have a jar of something that's almost empty and I can never remember what it is and always guess wrong. The punchline here being remember the things you need for cooking that aren't the main protein or whatever.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

alnilam posted:

:hellyeah: for solid meals

I'm soaking a pound of black beans. I usually kinda improvise with some cumin and stuff and get something pretty tasty but I have never really captured the flavor of Cuban style black beans and rice. Anyone have a solid recipe, one without meat?
I don't have a recipe for a vegetarian version, but the flavour components of the non-veg version is ham hock broth, onion and bell pepper, a lot of bay plus a little cumin and oregano, and then vinegar with a pinch of sugar. Or at least that's what Cuban-American places do, I don't know what the mas cubano que tu version is.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Okay got a friend who was on her anniversary in Italy and got stuck due to the lockdown.

I made a video about how to make shakshuka. She wants to make it, but doesn’t have harissa or Gochujang. No cumin or paprika either, she says Italians apparently don’t believe in spices. I suggested she try an American or Middle eastern store and she says they’re all closed.

She has red pepper flakes. What else would go with red pepper flakes to make a ramshackle shakshuka? Olive oil, black pepper, extra garlic? Soy sauce? An anchovy fillet?
Crushed pepper, olive oil, anchovy, basil, parm is indeed the common approach to Italian shakshuka, popularly called uova in Purgatorio/eggs in Purgatory. It's a thing.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Cacio e pepe is cool, but does anyone know why it's suddenly having a moment? Not trying to question it as a choice or anything, just honestly curious why it's suddenly something everyone's making.

Anyway, another you-always-have-the-stuff pasta approach everyone should know is aglio e olio, which (as the name implies) is garlic (sliced or minced, and usually cooked until fragrant) and olive oil. Crushed red pepper is the most common embellishment.

Al burro is the (simpler) ancestor to alfredo sauces, consisting of cheese (typically parm) and butter. In the simplest form in equal quantities (by weight), by adding the grated cheese to the pasta with a bit of pasta water, tossing until the cheese is mostly melted, and then tossing with the butter until smooth. This classic version was embellished by first doubling the butter, then tripling it, producing the first dish known as fettuccine alfredo. Alfredo sauces with cream, thickeners, and so on all came later.

Carbonara is a goon favourite: fry some cured pork, cook some spaghetti, grate some hard cheese. When the pasta is done, throw it in the pan with the fried pork, add the cheese, crack an egg over the entire mess and toss to combine. A lot of verbiage has been devoted to which pork and cheese are the most ritualistically pure, but anything you have on hand will both work, be good, and and have as much historical precedent as more upscale versions.

One of the purity arguments involving carbonara involves the inclusion of peas. Without delving into that mess, it is worth noting that there are a whole shitload of pasta with peas recipes that are loving delicious and work perfectly with frozen peas. The basic pasta e piselli---pasta + peas + garlic + parm is good. The super traditional version involves cooking the pasta and peas together in chicken stock, using very little stock so that the pasta is ready when the stock is absorbed/evaporated and the pot is dry. This is a little finicky and I don't find the result to be worth the extra effort, but I'll throw it out there anyway. Cured pork is a common addition to pasta e piselli, and is great even if you run the risk of getting a lecture on carbonara when you make it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Lost my train of thought. The request was for nonmeat recipes, and I was going to describe carbonara and then point out that you can do basically the same thing without the pork, just adding some other fat to get the same texture/consistency. Butter is a common choice for this, which basically gives you al burro + egg.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I can't believe I just thought of the perfect answer for the thread: pasta e fagioli. Pasta and beans. Like pasta e piselli it's usually made with broth, and sometimes served as a soup-like thing instead of what in the US we think of as a `pasta dish' or whatever. But it's one of those things that's so basic that you can find a version of it everywhere and they're all different.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

That Works posted:

Gimme your best pinto beans recipes, preferably Mexican, preferably not charro.

I've made tons of beans but never cooked pintos before.
Refried beans too obvious?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Queen Victorian posted:

And a question: what is everybody growing in their quarantine victory gardens?
I garden every year, but most years I pick up at least a couple seedlings from local nurseries to either cheat (e.g. I usually get hot pepper seedlings because I have terrible luck growing them from seed myself) or to fill in for early failures. This year I'm using a lot more saved seeds from last year. Some got saved intentionally: I really liked the long bean and bitter melon cultivars I tried for the first time last year, so I saved seeds for them. And I've been propagating the same stock of potato onions for five or six years. But I also always dry the last of the pepper harvest by just pulling up the whole plant and hanging it at the end of the season, so I have a bunch of hot pepper seeds saved from last year as well.

One of the big changes is that there are always a couple of volunteers in the raised beds. Usually they get pulled up to keep poo poo organised, this year we're working around anything that shows up that we actually want to use.

Anyway, the big list so far is:

Returning perennials: rosemary, Sichuan peppercorn, figs, blackberries.

Self-sown volunteers from last year: epazote, lovage, replicator shallots, potato onions, Okinawan sweet potatoes, Malabar spinach (this stuff self-sows like an absolute motherfucker, we grow one or two vines to maturity every year and the following year there will be literally dozens of volunteers). There's also a bunch of tomatillo volunteers as well, but those are getting pulled up because a) the cultivar wasn't very good, and b) the plants got absolutely loving enormous and didn't give good yields, so gently caress that.

Maybe self-sown from last year but we'll have to wait until they're a little larger to tell: Japanese cucumber, bitter melon.

Direct sown and actually growing: sugar peas (dwarf grey sugar), Japanese bunching onions (Ishikura improved), potato onions, long beans, bitter melon, bok choy, mustard greens (komatsuna), gai lan, yu choy.

Direct sown and the jury's still out: ground cherries, Genovese basil, Thai sweet basil, holy basil.

In pots for transplantation but not transplanted yet: black krims, green Cherokees, a couple kinds of cherry tomato, Japanese eggplant, habaneros, Thai birds.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I dunno if it was here or some other thread where I mentioned that my local CSA has meat and dairy that you can add to your produce box, but their meat has been in low supply since the lockdown started. Except duck. So I've been going through a lot of duck. And so I think the defining new recipe for my quarantine so far is duck ramen.

I've been parting out the ducks fresh (instead of roasting them whole or whatever), so I end up with a `fresh' carcass that's minus the wings, legs, breast meat, and any loose flappy bits of fat and skin (which go in a separate freezer bag for later rendering/crisping/whatever). My CSA ducks come with the neck and organs, so there's another freezer bag for the organs. Maybe I'll make a forcemeat later? Anyway. For the stock I use the trimmed carcass, the wing tips and the neck.

I use a big oval roaster to roast the duck parts along with a bunch of halved shallots, all the peeled garlic from a medium-sized head, a bunch of onion greens rough chopped, around a thumb of ginger, and half an apple. Everything gets spread out so it can brown. It goes in an oven at 500 F/260 C until everything has a good amount of colour on it.

All of this then goes in the pressure cooker with around 3 litres of dashi. For the dashi it's around 15 g each of kombu and bonito flakes per litre of water, mixed together in a pot and heated to a simmer, then taken off the heat and seeped for five minutes or so, and then strain and reserve the liquid and discard the kombu and bonito.

The stock gets 45 minutes or so at high pressure in the pressure cooker, and then gets strained, cooled, and separated out into quart delitainers until I need it.

While you're at it make some tare: about 2:1 Japanese soy to mirin, add some sliced ginger, some smashed garlic, some sliced onion greens, bring to boil, reduce to simmer, simmer for a couple minutes, strain and reserve. If I'm just knocking some together for this I'll just use a couple tbsp of soy, a slice or two of ginger and a single smashed garlic clove, but you can make more and save it for later.

Then for the noodles, I've made Kenji's homemade ramen noodles, and I've also used dried soba noodles that I happened to have in the pantry. It's the apocalypse, use whatever noodles you have. If you have like angle hair or whatever, that would work fine.

Then for serving two I take one of the duck breasts (they've been coming in at around half a pound uncooked), vac seal it if I haven't already, and do that at 130 F/54 C for an hour, hour and a half (which cooks the duck breast medium-ish, so it's still loose and moist and very red...you can go up to like four hours if you like the texture firmer).

While that's going on, hard boil/soft boil/make a tea egg, or whatever to prepare the kind of egg you like in this kind of soup.

When that's almost ready, chop up some shiitakes, some onion greens (I've been using onion scapes because the garden is producing them and mmmmm onion scapes are good), and divide a head of bok choy into leaves.

Around now you want a pot of salted water going for the noodles. Throw them in whenever you need to for them to be ready when the duck breast is done searing below. Throw the bok choy in when there's only a minute, minute and a half left to blanch them.

The duck breast comes out of the puddle machine, pat dry, into a lava loving hot pan skin side down, and let that brown, brown, blacken the skin and render the fat. Probably like five minutes, depends on the duck. After a second or two, fat's going to be rendering all over the pan. Throw the shiitakes and onion greens in there so they can get nice and browed/seared while the duck's going. Pull the shiitakes and greens when they're done (I use tongs, but w/e) and then flip the duck breast for like 30 seconds on the other side.

Once the duck is done, onto the cutting board, slice it nice and thin. You want a nice thin slice of the meat, each one with a strip of the crisped-up skin on it.

Drain the noodles when they're ready, into whatever you use as a noodle bowl, duck meat gets arranged on top, shiitakes and greens on either side, egg sliced in half or whatever and added to the bowl, and the bok choy leaves in there, and then fill with the stock. Spoon some tare over the top to taste.

This has a lot of moving parts but all of them are actually dead simple and none of them require much coordination/timing/whatever until the very end, so it's actually all really easy even though it sounds fiddly as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

SubG posted:

I dunno if it was here or some other thread where I mentioned that my local CSA has meat and dairy that you can add to your produce box, but their meat has been in low supply since the lockdown started. Except duck. So I've been going through a lot of duck. And so I think the defining new recipe for my quarantine so far is duck ramen.
Quoting myself from a ways back because I posted a recipe for what's become one of my lockdown staples but didn't include any pics. Made some more duck ramen yesterday and this time took some pics so:

Duck ramen with handmade ramen noodles, bok choy and onion scapes from the garden, and duck and shiitake mushrooms from the CSA box.