Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
Someone I care about (over 60) is on a long vacation in the US from China. He arrived in the US before the virus hit China. Unfortunately, the virus reached the US and he's staying in an area that just declared a state of emergency.

While he's allowed to stay stateside for a while form a legal perspective, his medical insurance is only covered for his expected stay.

What are his best options to not die or become financially bankrupt? If his best option is to avoid flying for as long as possible, what's the best way to get health coverage if he stays longer than originally expected (I'm concerned about denials). If he returns to China, the area is under quarantine (which seems to be effective) and he has medical coverage there.

diadem fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I'd totally go back home.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I would also just go back to China.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
In the event he incurs any medical expenses while in the US, does he have a US credit history to worry about? Would it matter if the billing was sent to collections?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
call your embassy

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

diadem posted:

Someone I care about (over 60) is on a long vacation in the US from China. He arrived in the US before the virus hit China. Unfortunately, the virus reached the US and he's staying in an area that just declared a state of emergency.

While he's allowed to stay stateside for a while form a legal perspective, his medical insurance is only covered for his expected stay.

What are his best options to not die or become financially bankrupt? If his best option is to avoid flying for as long as possible, what's the best way to get health coverage if he stays longer than originally expected (I'm concerned about denials). If he returns to China, the area is under quarantine (which seems to be effective) and he has medical coverage there.

Is there no way to get his insurance coverage extended or something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz

Buried alive posted:

Is there no way to get his insurance coverage extended or something like that?

Update: I tried with a reputable healthcare provider and they were pretty chill when i asked for an extension as if everything was just business as usual. Got approved!