Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

owlhawk911 posted:

you are wise and i trust you

but i can't just not post

if we're gonna try and do no politics, it's got to be like. none at alllll, imo. can't be calling out particular officials but not allowed to criticize the framework they're operating in. can't be theorizing why things are so bad but only some theories. it would be kinda cool to talk about stuff with the chillest crew on the net, but i can see how that would just make things less chill which no one wants. c-spam is fun and all but they can be pretty intense. i don't have any answers here i'm just postin'

Good post. The rule gets more confusing the more we try and define it I think. We do have written permission to make jokes about Trump's verbal gaffes and capitalism now tho!

Jaded Burnout posted:

I don't. I think it went off the rails the moment someone mentioned capitalism.

I don't see anything itt calling for an end to capitalism, or railing against wealth generation here. I saw one joke about capitalism that was mild and, to me, refers to the virus situation in the US at least. Many of us here feel things were re-opened too soon for the sake of preserving the economy while we dont have universal healthcare and many dont even have insurance. Also the very real worry that a much worse second spike could cause a second lockdown and even worse damage to the economy on top of a greater death rate.

I sincerely thought you were being ironic until your follow up post, sorry

I still think this is a good discussion and am glad you are making your opinions known too :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jpeg

good_mother69

im sorry for my bad joke

sig by the great nut

Stoner Sloth

jpeg posted:

im sorry for my bad joke

ur a good poster and i enjoy your poasts and av and sig friend

(also i like all of you so hoping i didn't make anyone feel singled out, just feel strongly that we need a venting space and would be happy to offer to help keep it a good place for people that wanna post in that kinda thread)

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

so much fussin and fightin

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
I realize that BYOB is not PYF, but I think this post from their rules thread is a pretty well written explanation of their no politics rule. I think the same reasoning can be applied to our little forum.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Happy April, PYF! I'm happy to announce it's been three years, just shy of to the day, since we rolled out our new, wildly acclaimed RULE OF THE DAY: Do not post about who or what you would or wouldn't have sex with. Nobody cares. What a great three years it's been. I'm glad you've all enjoyed this rule as much as I have.

Following on the heels of that success, I'm here to present you with PYF's long-awaited second RULE OF THE DAY. Just like the first one, this is a rule that is not actually just for today, but for forever. Wow!

Before I unveil this new, hotly anticipated rule, allow me to provide a brief preface. Now is a time of enormous turmoil in many aspects of all of our lives. Everybody is stressed, worried, and uncertain of the future and what it will bring. It is a time when it is especially important we remember to be kind and respectful of one another; and if we can, be patient and understanding too. Guests and regulars alike come to PYF and other subforums like it to manage their stress by relaxing, looking at funny pictures and reading interesting stories, and having a moment's respite from the world's many, many ills, just for an hour or two.

Looking at funny pictures and reading interesting stories isn't the only way people manage their stress, though. In some subforums, sometimes it's posting things like kill all boomers and guillotine landlords and you know what? If that's what those subforums are for, then that's all right! I don't like landlords either.

But that's not what PYF is for.

The thing is, if we wanted to be in C-SPAM, we would be in C-SPAM. If people are in PYF, they are not here for performative posting; they are here for the pictures and stories and for terrible, just really bad wordplay. Sometimes, reading the performative posting that's the culture in some other subforums is just another source of stress: an omnipresent reminder of the condition of the world outside, inescapable even when what you need for a moment is to do just that. There are places for that kind of posting, but they're not here. PYF has its own identity. It doesn't need to echo someone else's.

That's why I'm excited to bring you the new PYF RULE OF THE DAY:
[nested quote] Leave C-SPAM in C-SPAM.

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

jpeg posted:

im sorry for my bad joke

Don't be! I laughed. It wasnt even anti-capitalist imo, just critical of it.

I'd say more, but it's not the place for it. It is the place for humor, and your post was that imo :)

jpeg

good_mother69

Stoner Sloth posted:

ur a good poster and i enjoy your poasts and av and sig friend

(also i like all of you so hoping i didn't make anyone feel singled out, just feel strongly that we need a venting space and would be happy to offer to help keep it a good place for people that wanna post in that kinda thread)

aw thanks you too.

for whatever it's worth (not a lot) a thread where people can complain about things with just tacit 'i feel u, that sucks man' vibes without it becoming an echo chamber woudl be cool.
cspam just moves too quickly for me

sig by the great nut

jpeg

good_mother69

but this thread is like way off topic now
bringing it back to the virus, i'm almost at 15 weeks of wfh and i miss my coworkers

sig by the great nut

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Barking Gecko posted:

I realize that BYOB is not PYF, but I think this post from their rules thread is a pretty well written explanation of their no politics rule. I think the same reasoning can be applied to our little forum.

It's a good rule, but I don't see anyone calling for the beheading of landlords or saying 'kill boomers' here, and don't think that's what anyone is asking for in the yob

Stoner Sloth

jpeg posted:

but this thread is like way off topic now
bringing it back to the virus, i'm almost at 15 weeks of wfh and i miss my coworkers

sorry friend, hope it gets better and you can go back soon :glomp: - friend of mine here was having the same trouble

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Stoner Sloth

jpeg posted:

for whatever it's worth (not a lot) a thread where people can complain about things with just tacit 'i feel u, that sucks man' vibes without it becoming an echo chamber woudl be cool.
cspam just moves too quickly for me

Slush Garbo posted:

It's a good rule, but I don't see anyone calling for the beheading of landlords or saying 'kill boomers' here, and don't think that's what anyone is asking for in the yob

this, and I'll shut up now and let mods have a think about things so that i'm not keeping things off topic.

hope you are all okay despite everything going on, this virus is a right fucker and i hope someone punches it right in the reproductive area!

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

Slush Garbo posted:

Those things were mentioned as examples of posting that might be acceptable in the political forums, not as examples of things that are being posted in byob.

In any case, this is byob, so I'm sure we can come up with a solution that works reasonably well for everyone, or at least leaves everyone equally dissatisfied.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Barking Gecko posted:

or at least leaves everyone equally dissatisfied.
Wait a minute I thought we weren't talking about politics! :evilbuddy:

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Wait a minute I thought we weren't talking about politics! :evilbuddy:

lmao

Escape From Noise

E: Sorry, wrong thread

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 18, 2020

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Stoner Sloth posted:

good viruses on both sides

lmao

FluffieDuckie

I’m glad to see people trying to talk this out to figure out a good solution in a positive way.

FWIW my vote would be a byop thread in cccc. We could have a sticky thread in byob titled “COME TO THIS THREAD TO TALK ABOUT POLITICS” and the only thing in there would be a link to the cccc thread. Then it would be less hidden but still separate.

The concern I have in general about a thread in byob, and to a lesser degree in cccc, is that although I’ll bet we all generally agree on the big drama things going on right now, once you open the convo up, there will be disagreements.

Calm polite disagreement can be fine and healthy. Grudge inducing screaming matches will likely bleed over to byob in general. I’d hate to endanger the community we have built here.

To that point, maybe we try byop on a trial basis and see how it goes?

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

biosterous

having it in cccc with a stickied link seems... not ideal but better than nothing

having it in cccc without a stickied link would just be trying to sweep things under the rug imo

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Stoner Sloth

biosterous posted:

having it in cccc with a stickied link seems... not ideal but better than nothing

having it in cccc without a stickied link would just be trying to sweep things under the rug imo

this, still going with my earlier vote (if there is one) but if we go the cccc route, would it be possible to make it like provisional so that if after a couple of months there isn't any trouble we consider just making it a normal part of BYOB but with a "possibly unchill stuff" warning?

still think that we should trust our community to be able to deal with it, sometimes trying to be too protective of something isn't good and stifles improvement. also just think it's worth not trying to be escapist when serious stuff is happening, better to just go with the flow a little and work with it by allowing a space for people to talk about what is on their mind and what is happening in their life - obviously that'd need careful balancing to prevent chaos but maybe that is worth it?

i dunno, throwing out suggestions here

Stoner Sloth

also if we're going to be the 'chill inclusive place' then surely that should mean giving a voice to folk who face greater exclusion than others, without active effort to give a space for people who might not be feeling comfortable right now then they tend to get pushed out

and if we do a CCCC thing are people going to want to post in it?

plus part of the reason it might seem like... dunno... dismissive or a double standard?... is that we managed to find a compromise on COVID threads despite them stressing folk out and handled that fine, why not one to dedicated to other similarly "controversial" stuff at least as a space to vent?

again just some thoughts, i'll shut up and let others talk for a change - for reals this time!!

Slumpy
a reminder that the humble beginnings of this thread was that it was a twisted metal joke

slumpy

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Slumpy posted:

a reminder that the humble beginnings of this thread was that it was a twisted metal joke

i wish it still was :(

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Areola Grande

I've got a "sweet tooth" for some more twisted metal apocalypse humor

Stoner Sloth

prepuce repurposed posted:

i wish it still was :(

this has all just been Calypso granting your wish after you won the tournament! :twisted:

alnilam

Every time someone accuses byob of "ignoring politics" or escapism or hiding their head in the sand or what have you, I find it personally insulting because I do a lot of politics irl and so do a lot of other posters here. We just keep it out of byob. Many yobbers have their head fully out of the sand and are even actively working to terraform the sand into a better shape, and claiming otherwise just because we don't talk about it here is kind of insulting. It's not like byob encompasses my entire existence.

Not trying to come down on you SS as I know you are coming from a good place, but it's something I've heard before from people outside of byob and I guess my frustration with that claim is boiling over.

Stoner Sloth posted:

if we do a CCCC thing are people going to want to post in it?

That's up to the people who are asking for a place to talk about politics with their yobber crew!

Honestly cccc is a good fit. Threads that go to CCCC tend to have a crew (hence the name), and many of them were considered kind of off-topic for their home forum, but the thread itself was nice, so it got moved to cccc. Here the crew is byob regulars, the topic that is off for byob is politics. We can put a link to it next to the no politics rule in the rules thread and also temporarily make a sticky telling people about it, since people don't regularly read the rules thread.

SS would you want to IK it? Or anyone else?

ty manifisto

Goons Are Gifts

Slumpy posted:

I feel increasingly bad for hijacking it, but I also do not want to kill talk now by closing it nor create a full new thread right now. :smith:

We will tell you about what we want to do soon! Sorry for the delay, but al is currently quite busy with moving.

Queen-Of-Hearts

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Going on the record as being vehemently opposed to stashing something so important in an "out of site, out of mind" place so that people benefiting from the system don't have to feel uncomfortable.

:h: sig by Prof. Crocodile:h:
:byodame:BYOB spells: Mutually Assured Kindness:byodame:

alnilam

If byob is so much of your life that cutting politics out of it is tantamount to cutting politics out of your life, you should probably take a break from byob

There will not be a politics thread in byob proper

Slumpy
calypso is a libertarian

slumpy

Slumpy
warthog is probably a neo-liberal after all the poo poo he went through in his vietnam backstory

slumpy

alnilam

Slumpy posted:

calypso is a libertarian

He's trying to teach people a lesson by punishing them for expecting help from others

Slumpy
:uhaul: :rice: political compass alignment chart for all twisted metal characters

About 1,310,000 results (0.66 seconds)

slumpy

vanisher

Speaking of setting boundaries, working from home is corrupting my chill posting station with non-chill work stress energy. Need some tips for how to align crystals to decontaminate.

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Areola Grande

vanisher posted:

Speaking of setting boundaries, working from home is corrupting my chill posting station with non-chill work stress energy. Need some tips for how to align crystals to decontaminate.

only phone post

this is why i don't own a computer. sitting at a desk always feels like work 2 me

Slumpy
smoke weed and play counter strike

slumpy

Shifty Nipples

I shouldn't read byob early in the morning

Thanks Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Going on the record as being vehemently opposed to stashing something so important in an "out of site, out of mind" place so that people benefiting from the system don't have to feel uncomfortable.

Yeah, I'm sorry I brought up the idea. I already recanted but it was too late.

My main point here was that I personally didn't think anything crossed a line that was worthy of being admonished by the mods in the first place.

If it did, then clarification of the politics rule is needed to include "all hot-button topics" as mentioned by alnilam. And if that happens, then we shouldn't make jabs at capitalism which al said was ok, or make fun of Trump's verbal gaffes as GaG said we could.

That brings me to a larger point regarding what I see as the best thing for byob to be: a pure comedy workshop that doesnt rely on punching down (racism, sexism, prejudice, othering, etc.)or grabbing low-hanging fruit such as making fun of any sitting president. And I think that's p.much what we've got here. It makes comedy harder, and better imo

owlhawk911

Slumpy posted:

vanisher posted:

while you are working, get out a little statue or action figure and treat it like your boss. under its watchful gaze you must work because it will know if you're slacking and fire you. when it's time to chill put it away in a drawer or whatever. it can't see you anymore, now you can chill

alnilam

The no politics rule stays as it is, which includes no hot-button topics, and there will not be a politics thread within BYOB.

We could do a BYOP thread in CCCC, where people can talk politics with a yobber crew. It's unclear if many people actually want one - even the original idea-haver isn't so sure. If you want such a thing, please PM me or GaG so we can get an idea of whether it should actually be made, because if only 2-3 people are interested then there's no point.

Let's not have any further discussion of this itt, I think GaG and I have said as much as can be said and lots of people have weighed in and at this point it's clear there's some disagreement but it's not going to go anywhere. If you really must continue to discuss this, feel free to take it to PMs or QCS. Let's please get this thread back to the topic of twisted metal.

ty manifisto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owlhawk911

alnilam posted:

Let's not have any further discussion of this itt. Let's please get this thread back to the topic of twisted metal.

what does it look like i'm trying to do here boss. i demand a twisted metal/plague joke