Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
alnilam

Postin in the springtime

Goons Are Great posted:

The WHO said you can substitute toilet paper quite well. All you need is a printer and a short visit to coupons & deals.

but who will carry a printer on foot to my house amid this lockdown

ty forums poster nut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

Goons Are Great posted:

While this is an admittedly go wild about the virus stuff thread, please keep in mind that we don't want to entirely go down the road of politics - yes, I know there is good reason to do otherwise - and that this thread is mainly meant as a place to vent some frustration and post jokes about this terrible stuff.

this thread is not really exempt from the no politics rule, although like talking about closing this and banning that is probably fine. let's just not talk about politicians k

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

Not to detract from your paper towel success but as a general advice now is as good a time as ever to learn about cleaning with rags instead of paper towels. Cut up some old t shirts and ratty old towels and go nuts. Wash them regularly. We haven't used paper towels in our house in years and it's great.

In emergencies you can even do this for TP!

Just a suggestion for anyone to try out if they want, not gonna judge anyone for how they choose to clean

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

I believe in you, hydroxychloroquine!

ty forums poster nut

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

xcheopis posted:

Spoilered for whining.

Having a hard time and I'm the one working the fewest hours, with the least responsibility. Just not getting enough sleep. Found out Saturday that a friend had to move and I will never see her again. This next week is going to be a very difficult one and I hate everything except cats.

Sorry friend. It's okay, even normal, to be upset. This will not be forever.

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

It's hard to see it but things WILL get better, unfortunately they have to get pretty bad first.

Just remember in order for us to have a future, we have to do this in the here and now, so do it for the future you, who will thank you.

iirc that also happens right near one of my other favorite passages:

quote:

Friggity Frodo: What a pity Bilbo did not stab the vile creature, when he had a chance!

The Gan Man: Pity? It was Pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and Mercy: not to strike without need.

F: I do not feel any pity for Gollum. He deserves death.

G: Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give that to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.

ty forums poster nut

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

Yeah you can consider meeting friends in the out of doors, where it is easy to stand 8 ft apart and drink a beer while talking. That's what we've been doing with our neighbor pals on nice days, to stay sane. Also times are weird for everyone so nobody seems to care about drinking beers in public rn (usually a no no in most of the US)

As of today we're under an official lockdown so I don't think we can do that anymore. Oh well it's for the best.

ty forums poster nut

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

prepuce repurposed posted:

i just got back from my annual checkup and my doctor seemed genuinely stoked to be living though a real pandemic instead of all these sissy fake ones like swine and bird and h1n1

every doctor and nurse i know has a sort of weary pre-battle attitude like "I'm terrified but I must do this, I'm as ready as I'll ever be."

the hospitals are basically gearing up as if for a war

it's... not something to be stoked about

alnilam fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 24, 2020

ty forums poster nut

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

I'm sure it is highly interesting from a nerdy medical perspective but maybe don't tell ur patients how dope these times are

Yeah it's interesting but getting actually excited is ghoulish.

I'm married to a doctor and know a lot of people in the medical profession and they're all the opposite of stoked. I'm not too thrilled myself, in fact I'm really scared.

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

You might say i need a hug

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

I'm sure it is highly interesting from a nerdy medical perspective but maybe don't tell ur patients how dope these times are

on second thought it's a pretty funny post as well

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

owlhawk911 posted:

one of the most brutal forms of social distancing is the hug ban

as a big time extrovert and hug fan it has been hard on me

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

I know the focus is rightfully on ramping up "do you have it" testing but I really want you see "did you have it" antibody testing come asap

e: i guess it's closer than i thought!
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...y-idUSKBN21C1KK

alnilam fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 25, 2020

ty forums poster nut

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

Best of luck. If anyone's job can be even half done from home it should be.

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

The current fear driving the N95 craze is that the disease might in fact be airborne. It's new enough that we don't know for sure yet but it's enough of a risk that they are putting covid patients in negative pressure rooms like they would with a TB patient. Health workers are desperate for masks and bunny suits and such because in hospitals around the world that have run out of this equipment, doctors and nurses began contracting the disease at very high rates, so there's a lot of indication that they are effective (when properly used).

The suspicion of airborne transmission is also the reason for the 6 foot distance rule.

That being said, health workers are at might higher risk of exposure than you are while going to the grocery store and know how to use them more properly so yeah if you have clean N95 masks, please consider donating them to a hospital.

e: beaten

ty forums poster nut

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

xcheopis posted:

Surgical/Procedure masks are a better option for the general public, because they will help keep you from infecting others and don't slow your oxygen intake. They are also not meant to be worn all day but the consequences (limiting oxygen) are not as bad.

Yeah surgical masks or even a doubled up bandana can do a lot to prevent your particles from infecting others, if you have it and don't know it. They keep stuff from getting out, it's the main reason they use them in surgery. They also ahve the benefit of stopping you from touching your face.

ty forums poster nut

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

my email inbox is full of emails from every business, organization, and retailer i've ever interacted with, and many i haven't. They all want me to know "how we're responding to the coronavirus crisis"

ty forums poster nut

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

Here at Trains n Planes Hobby Shop, we have always believed in quality model-building, miniature train, and RC airplane supplies at affordable prices. That's more important than ever in this time of uncertainty and health crisis. That's why we're

ty forums poster nut

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

Dead Hippie Ghost posted:

thank god this is happening during the spring and not winter. I don't think I could handle all of this if not only could I not see anybody or go anywhere with a lot of people, but also couldn't go outside (comfortably, anyway). The main thing keeping me sane is that I'm able to take a long walk with my hunny bun every day. I'm much like a dog really . Think I might double up and start going at night too, alone and just listen to music. I can only play so much animal crossing a day so it's good to break it up with some non-simulated outdoor adventures.

Yeah i absolutely cannot imagine going through this in the dead of winter. Much sympathy for the people of Hubei who had to do exactly that.

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

as originally suggested by Justin McElroy I've been singing the first verse of All Star by Smashmoth when I wash my hands

it's 20 seconds long and everybody knows it.

also anything beats singing happy birthday twice

also u can lol whilst picturing Smash Mouth himself eatin all those eggs lmao

someBODY once told me

Our local indie radio station has been doing little PSAs with memorable segments of songs that are 20 seconds. My fav has been
This is Major Tom to ground control
I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating in the most peculiar way
And the stars look very different today

Smashmouth is a pretty good one lol

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

Come on people use a dang cut up t shirt or something it's not that hard

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

Macnult posted:

down the street from my parents house is a table set up with free lunches available to anyone. very little food has gone to waste, maybe 2 or 3 bags left at the end of the day, and our community has been great with making sure itís replenished on a daily basis

today my brother and i helped my mom with making these lunches. mask on, gloves on, and even sanitizing the laundry basket beforehand

ty forums poster nut

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

That's awesome. I'm so curious to see all the retrospective studies of things like r0 changes over time, by region, by policy, etc. It's hard to estimate the moment of.

Also when antibody tests show us how much of the population had it vs how many we thought had it, I wonder what that will do to our understanding of the reproductive rate

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

Stay safe everyone including xcheopis and xcheopis' boss and xcheopis' boss's mom

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

Teflon is very useful but is also some real nasty poo poo please do not spray an aerosolized teflon on your breathing apparatus hugh malone's mom!!

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

It's okay to be sad, and scared, itt

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

I have read a few articles on how Germany is handling everything really well. GJ germany, keep it up

ty forums poster nut

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

without getting into politic, the US seems to be pulling it together in spite of some uh, poor leadership, thanks to the work of experts and the people on the ground. Could be doing a lot better but I'll be thankful for the good parts that we do have.

ty forums poster nut

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

My wife uses the one we had in our basement every day and she's a doctor. Not caring for covid patients but still, out there and getting in people's faces. The hospital, understandably, is conserving PPE for covid wards so she's stuck using our project N95 every day.

So no I don't really have great advice but having 3 to rotate between is probably pretty good. If anything i might cut the plastic bag out of the equation to let things dry and germs therefore die.

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

She is not washing it. She has not gotten much good guidance on it. She's hanging it up to dry and that's all.

Apparently she could also go get a new one from the covid ward but that would involve... going to the covid ward

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

I've always wanted a bees. When my waifu and i are settled in our new location we will bee.

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

biosterous posted:

i want to hug my folks but i can't

Same + friends

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

gently caress, sorry

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

Shpuld have bought 0.864 fewer gallons

ty forums poster nut

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

Those are awesome

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

I'm just trying to imagine getting weed at a store

ty forums poster nut

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

Kief Richards posted:

ok so it's weirdly like buying flowers at a flowershop located in an upscale bakery.

it's also literally buying flowers, in a shop in which baking occurs

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

Stoner Sloth posted:

there is literally a shop that sells flowers and upscale baked goods just near me weirdly enough

go and ask them if they have stairs in their house and then act all shifty

ty forums poster nut

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

https://youtu.be/jS5fTzMP_mg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

Postin in the springtime

Please draw your non-covid-having wife in a spacesuit with devil horns to celebrate

ty forums poster nut

«2 »