Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
xcheopis

Virus stuff is overwhelming my office. I'm a low-level doofus who isn't directly involved with clients and my boss went on leave before March, so I'm mostly affected by not receiving data and such because everyone is hyperfocused on this crisis. Which is how it should be! But I worry about my direct service co-workers and also worry because I'm on immune suppressants but can't work from home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis

Local stores have people panic buying a bunch of stuff, which I think is pretty funny. We're in earthquake/fire/mud slide/PG&E country, people, how do you not already have a couple weeks worth of food?!?

A young man at Berkeley Bowl told me people were buying up cooked chicken, which is even funnier. Their butcher ran out of turkey on Friday. All the very average bread was gone but the good stuff, in a different section of the store, was still fully stocked.

xcheopis

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

Out of sheer luck,I did a big grocery shopping right before the stores were ransacked. Went back a couple of days later to empty shelves and cashiers in masks. Very surreal.

I watched a Livestream of the Grand Princess docking at Port of Oakland. It was surreal seeing isolation tents, people in biohazard gear, and a line of ambulances less than a couple of miles from me. That last time things felt this off was after the '89 quake.

xcheopis

FluffieDuckie posted:

Attention local youth: Please tp my house

xcheopis

My job is considered "essential", so I can flagrantly ignore the 'shelter in place' order. I shall make the most of my elite status, of course.

xcheopis

Dead Hippie Ghost posted:

Stay in your peasant houses. My country need me

Planning on commandeering some cupcakes "for the good of the public".

xcheopis

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

Same. I work at the corporate headquarters and it's unsettling having whole floors empty on a weekday. However, having a floor to myself has resulted in being able to dance and around the office whenever I want and it's going to be hard to go back.
Sweet!

I can read the forums on my work computer because nearly everyone else is able to work from home or will be on conference calls all day. Take that, IT department!

xcheopis

Note to self: Singing Diamanda Galas' This Is the Law of the Plague in public is still frowned on.

See a mighty city trampled to destruction! See missiles and atom bombs powerless! See civilisation rioting with fear!

xcheopis

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

If only there was a cure being worked on for the virus.

Oh, wait- they may have found one!

https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/old-m...onavirus-study/

And here I kept mine when I was switched to xeljanz on the off chance it would be needed before expiring. Well done, me!

xcheopis

Having an online "argument" over whether traveling to houses to play d&d is a risk to others or perfectly safe "because we're all fairly healthy". Very annoyed by selfish people.

xcheopis

prepuce repurposed posted:

today I encountered a woman who believes the virus is a hoax. she happens to be the general manager of a major hotel

Lovely.

xcheopis

Spoilered for whining.

Having a hard time and I'm the one working the fewest hours, with the least responsibility. Just not getting enough sleep. Found out Saturday that a friend had to move and I will never see her again. This next week is going to be a very difficult one and I hate everything except cats.

xcheopis

Thanks. Sorry.
My work relates to healthcare for homeless people and it's been difficult. And my part is quite small.

Appreciate the support. Here is a kitten, as a token of my esteem:

Her name was Kiku-san and she hated carbon based lifeforms.

xcheopis

Some nice news for me!

Board of Supervisors posted:

At their March 17th meeting, the Board of Supervisors approved the accrual of paid administrative leave to be used at a later date, for employees who continue to work during COVID-19.

I believe this means I will have some extra leave this year, which will be quite useful!

See a mighty city trampled to destruction! See missiles and atom bombs powerless! See civilisation rioting with fear!

xcheopis

biosterous posted:

incredibly minor complaint: all the crunchy peanut butter was sold out today, of every brand. there were several varieties of smooth peanut butter though so i got a jar of that.

i guess i'm complaining that my neighbourhood is full of people with correct peanut butter preferences

I had an unfortunate reminder that I can no longer eat peanuts and I have a couple of jars of the crunchy stuff saved for earthquake/fire/mud slide/PG&E moments, so you can have them.

xcheopis

We just received a pallet of supplies to send to shelters and outreach programs. It wouldn't fit through the door of the building, nor would it have fit in the elevator or through the suite doors. So I asked the driver to plop the pallet in front of the building and called an "all hands!" to break it down and take up on hand trucks. The entire office mobilised to get this done quickly and efficiently!

All three of us. Because we're the only ones working on site today.

xcheopis fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 24, 2020

xcheopis

Polio is highly contagious. At least 98% of those infected were asymptomatic or had mild to moderate flu-like symptoms. About 1% developed some form of weakness or paralysis. Up to about 10% of that 1% wound up in iron lungs or died.

Don't underestimate an infectious disease.

xcheopis

I'm considered essential and can't work from home. It's usually just myself and one or two others, so it's fairly quiet for me.

xcheopis

I'm doing this too. This place is a total ghost town besides the occasional grocery store hell hive

yet here I am buzzing around town mostly alone in the unstoppable EKANSMOBILE

"WIDE LANES, JERRY! "

xcheopis

Macnult posted:

Currently filing for unemployment and stuck at the "return to work" date because I have no idea when that will be, and there isn't anything listed specifically for COVID-19 stuff. Is that on my job, or on the state? Chances are I'll just call the dept. of labor tomorrow.

https://www.askamanager.org/2020/03...ou-to-know.html

xcheopis

I'm using humour to relieve my stress at work.

xcheopis

the thing i can't get my head around is this mad dash for N95 masks or just medical masks in general. It keeps appearing in the headlines here in the US, and I'm seeing more and more ppl wearing them in public.

since this virus is not airborne, it stands to reason that a mask isn't going to do poo poo. my physician co-worker agrees with this sentiment. pls correct me on this if u understand the mask quest better than i do

It is definitely spread by droplet infection.

N95 masks actually filter air, which means that while you have it on, properly sealed, you are not getting the same amount of oxygen with each breath than if you were breathing freely. They aren't meant to be worn all day.
Surgical/Procedure masks are a better option for the general public, because they will help keep you from infecting others and don't slow your oxygen intake. They are also not meant to be worn all day but the consequences (limiting oxygen) are not as bad.
Neither is a magic "I am invincible!" prophylactic against infection and too many people don't use either properly, making them useless.

xcheopis

Really tired. Been on my feet most of the day and my sciatica is being assholish about it. But I helped distribute supplies and did much needed paperwork for my coworkers and got to duck out 45 minutes early.
Now to brave the locust swarm of grocery shopping!

xcheopis

cda posted:

Sciatica sucks.

It sucks balls and not in the good way that has made me so popular with the boys.

I can't do most yoga right now.

xcheopis

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I ran away to the hinterlands for a few days and found a very well stocked grocery store and a lot of very green leaves and it helped my brain a lot.

The trees and the flower were pretty and the bees and snakes and bugs have not learned about social distancing yet.

I had to have yet another conversation with Tanuki about social distancing because he keeps forgetting. (He isn't very smart)

xcheopis

Kief Richards posted:

i am considerably worried about my best friend right now because he thinks he's got it
Oh, no!
Has he been able to talk to an advice nurse?

xcheopis

We now have hotels for housing/isolating any of the homeless population who have tested positive for the virus. It's a damned shame it's not permanent housing but at least they will be inside and getting treatment.

xcheopis

We've been able to distribute a majority of the supplies we actually received (with huge backorders!), which is great! Who knew my logistics and inventory skills would suddenly be useful?

xcheopis

Macnult posted:

if you want some uplifting news that isn’t a prank, tomorrow is my cat’s birthday. he will be 7 years old

Happy birthday catte!

xcheopis

lol

xcheopis

I'm so tired and my feet hurt. But! We had great news that one of our partner clinics is getting several hundred thousand covid tests soon AND those clients who have been tested all came back negative!

xcheopis

Aaaand, my bosses mom tested positive for covid and pneumonia. Her mom lives with her, so the household is in quarantine. :c

xcheopis

Actually stress eating, which I don't generally do. Vanilla ice cream with blackberry preserves spooned over is still awesome.

xcheopis

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

The grocery stores here aren't completely picked over. Still plenty of veg, not much in the way of meat though. Which is funny because it's something I usually don't really buy but now being home have a few things I was thinking of. Ah well. No masks available but that's alright. Just hangin' tight.Kind of bored.

The store where I normally shop is now stocking shelf-stable cartons of tofu. They still have the fresh/refrigerated stuff, too, so it's not a complete changeover.

No black beans, though.

xcheopis

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

I got black beans yesterday at the import store. I'd been looking around before but hard to find for different reasons. There's plenty of tofu here. I bought a mapo dofu kit thingy and I kind of need mince for that.
Yes, they've been a bit scarce over the past year. Ugh, now I have to see if there's a reason for that. At least there were still plenty of lentils and chickpeas about.

Things are getting bad when AskAManager uses "hellscape" in response to a question.

edit: Ah. https://www.producer.com/2019/12/me...ficult-to-fill/

xcheopis fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 7, 2020

xcheopis

Stupid disaster service workers law!

xcheopis

County of Alameda is doing pretty well! I'm in fear of the numbers that will show up from SoCal, though. Apparently most people didn't take this seriously!

xcheopis

Well, see, if you were here I could probably slip a few out of the building, since I pulled two bags out of inventory for having come open. (No, I didn't do that on purpose!)
I have a few extra surgical masks, too.

xcheopis

Very tired! But we made a lot of people very very happy with the supplies we provided, so feeling happy about that.
Now for the dreaded weekly shopping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis

Kief Richards posted:

a thing that my company is doing:

we're selling n95 masks for like ten cents above cost per piece and we sold out of all 700k in less than ten minutes today.

We're focused more on surgical masks, for clients.

«3 »