Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This league will award a championship this year
This poll is closed.
NBA 7 7.53%
NHL 7 7.53%
MLB 31 33.33%
XFL 48 51.61%
Total: 93 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

grack posted:

Adam Silver announced that the NBA hiatus will be at least 30 days.

That might be optimistic with the way things are going right now.

Coming back to play in empty arenas may make the most sense. The risk for players and even the majority of personnel is pretty low and some basic precautions would go a long way. Of course, this will depend on what the players feel comfortable with vs their share of the revenue recouped (though I don't know the impact of TV revenue with no games).

I can't see cramming 10,000+ people in an arena being a good idea in 30 days, but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I am willing to admit already that I was way off. I'm going to revise this to August 1st for fans in stands now, and even that still feels optimistic.

I think we'll see empty-stands/arena games first as you probably can do that with pretty maintainable risk.

Getting 10k+ people in one place is probably not going to be a good idea for a year+.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

There might be something said about the relatively small risk from getting a few hundred people to put on games in empty arenas to the advantage of providing something that will encourage people to keep quarantine for a long time. The mental health effects of the quarantine are going to become a real problem as people try to break it, and pro leagues coming back might make a real difference.

Of course some players won't want to play in that situation, I certainly wouldn't blame them, but I think you can structure a league in such a way to make the risk not much higher than it is for most people anyway.

I'm not sure what the right thing to do is, but since this is probably the way life will be for a year+ I think its important to think long term and what ways we can look for the greater good.

Packed Arenas should absolutely not happen until a vaccine + herd immunity is well established.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

grack posted:

How do you propose people get to the golf course? Passener air travel is pretty much non-existent right now, so it would have to be chartered flights with very few people and that would be prohibitively expensive.

Huh? Passenger flights are still going. There's still tons of flights. It'd be, like, maybe slightly harder to get people around but not all that much.

https://www.airport-ohare.com/departures.php?day=tomorrow

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

grack posted:

There are almost no people on those planes outside flight crews for the reasons that glynnenstein pointed out.

......which means it isn't a problem to get golfers/crew around....

They are still letting passengers on those flights, you realize this right?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

grack posted:

I'm unaware of any situation where travelling to take part in/work at a golf tournament could be considered "necessary travel".

Just gunna keep doubling down, eh?

Go look online, you can just book. There is no restriction on domestic travel. The only restrictions are for foreign travel, and honestly those restrictions are barely there (You can just go to one of 13 airports where you probably were going to fly into anyway). Foreign nationals will have a harder time, though there are exemptions.

You said you couldn't fly people in because they weren't flying planes, they are. You implied you need some sort of necessary travel permit, you don't. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not make poo poo up about restrictions and policy right now. It's really important people realize what they can or can't do. Spreading incorrect information is actively dangerous.

I don't give a poo poo or think its a particularly good idea to run golf right now but please be well informed.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

DJExile posted:

i know at least one person enjoys these posts so gently caress it imma keep going

it's saturday, watch something

It is very appreciated

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

NASCAR is opening races again, aren't they? I bet they bring fans in first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

NBA Scrimmages (glorified pre-season) is going on now!