Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This league will award a championship this year
This poll is closed.
NBA 7 7.53%
NHL 7 7.53%
MLB 31 33.33%
XFL 48 51.61%
Total: 93 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
NHL officially suspended the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Intruder posted:

It just doesn't seem like a lot of people to have to monitor. Like maybe 10-20? But I don't know much about nascar so I have no idea

Times that by 40 cars per race, add track employees and officials, safety personnel and media. Then add travel on top of all that.

Most ordinances are banning gatherings of 1000 or more people, and all those numbers add up real quick.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

EPL is conducting "emergency meetings" Friday morning.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

I am pretty sure that the players still get paid if a league voluntarily suspends operations on a temporary basis. I can't imagine any of the players associations would've been okay with things ceasing otherwise.

At least in the NHL, the players will still get their final paychecks but escrow will be clawed back. It's already been discussed a few times.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Fifty Three posted:

The XFL cancelled like 18 hours ago :confused:

Wrestlemania is still on.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The PGA has cancelled their next 3 events.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Adam Silver announced that the NBA hiatus will be at least 30 days.

That might be optimistic with the way things are going right now.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

hypothetically if they have like, one golfer, one referee (or whatever their equivalent is) and one cameraperson per hole and like maybe one camera man how many people would you really need to run a golf tournament? just stretch it out over weeks, not like anyone else is doing anything

How do you propose people get to the golf course? Passener air travel is pretty much non-existent right now, so it would have to be chartered flights with very few people and that would be prohibitively expensive. Even if you did go that route, everyone would have to be in isolation for two weeks. Even long-distance driving probably isn't going to be encouraged, and may also require isolation if crossing state lines.

So do you start excluding people from out of the country? The state? Those not in easy (say, under 2 hour) driving distance that doesn't cross any county lines? Where is that line going to be drawn?

There's a shitload more to sporting events than just the actual event itself.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Lockback posted:

Huh? Passenger flights are still going. There's still tons of flights. It'd be, like, maybe slightly harder to get people around but not all that much.

https://www.airport-ohare.com/departures.php?day=tomorrow

There are almost no people on those planes outside flight crews for the reasons that glynnenstein pointed out.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Lockback posted:

......which means it isn't a problem to get golfers/crew around....

They are still letting passengers on those flights, you realize this right?

I'm unaware of any situation where travelling to take part in/work at a golf tournament could be considered "necessary travel".

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Fine, gently caress it, I'm a horrendous human being who was wrong.

Can anyone then please explain how holding a PGA event is, in any way, shape or form, a good idea? What justification exists for holding the tournament?

Edit: Also, I'm in Canada. WE have domestic travel restrictions, I naively assumed that the US would do it as well.

grack fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

It's gonna take an athlete dying of this before any of them give a poo poo eh

I'm honestly astonished that nobody from the Lightning died after their Stanley Cup celebrations