Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do we finish this season
Award the title now
No title at all
Playoff tournament
Finish the season at a later date
Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed
View Results

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think the thing that makes sense and the thing that is most likely is that all leagues and cups and everything are put on hold until they're safe to resume behind closed doors, even if that means a drastically curtailed match schedule all crammed into like four weeks. If it's safe to resume in June, do it in June. If it's safe to resume in October, do it in October. If the safe-resumption date is late enough that it cuts into next season, then negotiate a way to hold a shortened next season that everyone can agree on. But I think this is the only way to do it that's fair to everybody, because it means not messing with champions/promotion/relegation/European qualification, and it means having a format for next season that everyone agrees on after resolving this season as best possible, instead of a format for next season imposed arbitrarily by stopping the season now or voiding it and cutting the legs out from under teams like Leicester and Wolves and Liverpool and Leeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

CyberPingu posted:

Tell me how the FA saying right now that voiding the season stops people dying?

The thought of the amount of laffin I may yet get to do would certainly keep me going a bit longer

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

hadji murad posted:

but helps keep public safety and health

makes you think

So does suspending until further notice.

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CyberPingu posted:

And how does voiding the season stop that exactly?

Any attempt to not void the season will lead to games being played before it is safe to do so.

And you know this, but refuse to acknowledge it. Accepting that it's done and over is the safest course of action.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
what i think we should do is rig old trafford with high explosives and shoot slur asslix turdburgalarson with high powered sniper rifles

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

And how does voiding the season stop that exactly?

Please tell me you're not really this dumb and are playing along because if you can't see how just stopping football and thus the mass gatherings (either inside or outside a closed stadium when a match is being played or in pubs across the country) saves lives then jesus loving christ, dude.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

So does suspending until further notice.

I’m suspending this conversation until further notice, cyber dingus. Good night.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bundy posted:

Please tell me you're not really this dumb and are playing along because if you can't see how just stopping football and thus the mass gatherings (either inside or outside a closed stadium when a match is being played or in pubs across the country) saves lives then jesus loving christ, dude.

I never said it would.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

vyelkin posted:

I think the thing that makes sense and the thing that is most likely is that all leagues and cups and everything are put on hold until they're safe to resume behind closed doors, even if that means a drastically curtailed match schedule all crammed into like four weeks. If it's safe to resume in June, do it in June. If it's safe to resume in October, do it in October. If the safe-resumption date is late enough that it cuts into next season, then negotiate a way to hold a shortened next season that everyone can agree on. But I think this is the only way to do it that's fair to everybody, because it means not messing with champions/promotion/relegation/European qualification, and it means having a format for next season that everyone agrees on after resolving this season as best possible, instead of a format for next season imposed arbitrarily by stopping the season now or voiding it and cutting the legs out from under teams like Leicester and Wolves and Liverpool and Leeds.
This makes the most sense to me. If the current season does cut into the next, they could probably go to the extent of cancelling the FA Cup or League Cup to ensure there's enough time to finish the next season.

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vegetable posted:

This makes the most sense to me. If the current season does cut into the next, they could probably go to the extent of cancelling the FA Cup or League Cup to ensure there's enough time to finish the next season.

they shouldn't cancel competitions to allow for other competitions. Running out of time is running out of time.

edit, considering this is already the me responding to bad ideas thread:

loving hell

Chuff McNothing fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 13, 2020

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

I never said it would.

:what:

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
#voidtheleague

void every competition, replay it "next" season

anyone who complains gets the gently caress off people are dying response

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I never said that stopping football is all they need to do to stop people dying.

My whole point is that at this current point, on March 13th 2020, their is no reason for the FA to come out and say that all leagues are voided. As it gives them little recourse.

Postponing the leagues makes most sense as A) All play stops anyway so you are keeping the players and public safe, B) It allows them to continuously reassess the situation until it is deemed safe.

If we are still in the same situation come July/August. Then you re-assess and probably cancel everything.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Void the league is the only sensible course of action. In the meantime, a comprehensive review of VAR can be undertaken to ensure Liverpool arent the recipients of biased VAR decisions

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol that this happened right before liverpool were crowned champions

anwyay its still mathematically possible for newcastle to get into the champions league so shouldn't be excluded from considering for that

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

I never said that stopping football is all they need to do to stop people dying.

I know that. You seem under the impression that voiding the league (as in ending it) won't do anything to save lives. I'm calling you an idiot if you genuinely believe that.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I get that ideally you play all of the remaining matches, but if there isn't time for that I think it would be reasonable to play say 5 more matches to decide the season.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bundy posted:

I know that. You seem under the impression that voiding the league (as in ending it) won't do anything to save lives. I'm calling you an idiot if you genuinely believe that.

Hmm? No my point to that was voiding and suspending at this point do the exact same thing. Voiding doesnt save more lives that suspending does.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I get that ideally you play all of the remaining matches, but if there isn't time for that I think it would be reasonable to play say 5 more matches to decide the season.

Or just call the season as it is now :shrug:

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
i think just resume the league whenever it is safeish to do so. even if that cuts into next year's season. then have a small break and start again.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Here's another thing to consider: even though the euros are all but cancelled, playing more games later means players on bigger teams are going to be playing games without a break for more than a year straight. And no, I don't really consider this pause/cancellation a break as everyone's going to be all wound up mentally for a while.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

Hmm? No my point to that was voiding and suspending at this point do the exact same thing. Voiding doesnt save more lives that suspending does.

Which brings me neatly back to when do you propose we suspend until, given how long this is projected to be a problem for, and then what regarding next season's fixtures?

CyberPingu posted:

This has far more bias in it from a Liverpool perspective then any of my suggestions do as a scouse hater. I'm pretty sure none of the league positions are mathematically decided, certainly not the ones that have actual consequences. Starting over is far more equitable than assuming that "as things stand" is "as things will be".

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CyberPingu posted:

which is exactly the same as voiding it as no positions have been confirmed yet.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bundy posted:

Which brings me neatly back to when do you propose we suspend until, given how long this is projected to be a problem for, and then what regarding next season's fixtures?

This has far more bias in it from a Liverpool perspective then any of my suggestions do as a scouse hater. I'm pretty sure none of the league positions are mathematically decided, certainly not the ones that have actual consequences. Starting over is far more equitable then assuming that as things stand is as things will be.

Its totally biased, but its just as fair as voiding. Its just fair for different teams

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
no it isn't

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Chuff McNothing posted:

which is exactly the same as voiding it as no positions have been confirmed yet.

No as you take the current table as a "finished" league table, which is just as fair as voiding, just for different teams.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
simulate the rest of the season in your preferred sporting video game (i.e. the one that pays the most for the privilege), stream it online so that fans have something to watch and sponsors have something to stick advertisements on

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Gigi Galli posted:

Here's another thing to consider: even though the euros are all but cancelled, playing more games later means players on bigger teams are going to be playing games without a break for more than a year straight. And no, I don't really consider this pause/cancellation a break as everyone's going to be all wound up mentally for a while.

it's going to suck for some players until after the world cup 2022, but i think that is up to themselves and their teams to manage. if anything has to adapt, it is the schedule.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

Its totally biased, but its just as fair as voiding. Its just fair for different teams

It's "fair" for maybe 3 teams. Voiding is fair to 91.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bundy posted:

It's "fair" for maybe 3 teams. Voiding is fair to 92.

man u fans always going on about 92

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

vyelkin posted:

man u fans always going on about 92

Now fixed typo but what?

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
id love to see the season voided, but i dont think it is the most fair

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bundy posted:

Now fixed typo but what?

It’s a weak rear end Class of 92 burn

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Bea Nanner posted:

it's going to suck for some players until after the world cup 2022, but i think that is up to themselves and their teams to manage. if anything has to adapt, it is the schedule.

Yeah I agree it's down to them and their clubs to manage, but it will be funny when the Qatar WC is full of guys who just want to take a nap. I mentioned this somewhere, but imagine whole teams of Alexis Sanchez after he had to play for like 20 months straight due to the idiocy of CONMEBOL scheduling.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

Yeah I agree it's down to them and their clubs to manage, but it will be funny when the Qatar WC is full of guys who just want to take a nap. I mentioned this somewhere, but imagine whole teams of Alexis Sanchez after he had to play for like 20 months straight due to the idiocy of CONMEBOL scheduling.

Worth remembering that Qatar 2022 is supposed to take place in November-December, so players could presumably take a summer break beforehand. Doesn't stop the fact some of them would have played like 20 months straight immediately beforehand with the Euros in 2021 though.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
i wouldnt mind seeing leagues raise the squad or loan cap for a season to help with the tight schedule

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Animal Crossing comes out next Friday. The order of the table is determined by the order in which each team completes the museum. This is fair to Liverpool IMO as obviously Milner will win.

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CyberPingu posted:

No as you take the current table as a "finished" league table, which is just as fair as voiding, just for different teams.

why would you do that when everyone has played completely incompatible seasons?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
People are dying right now and still this thread is open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Even ignoring relegation and promotion, difference in prize money for 6th vs 12th or 12th vs 17th was like £10 million last year, which is not nothing for a mid table club. Pretending like Spurs wouldn't keep sliding down the table with their current injury crisis or that Arsenal wouldn't close the season with 10 straight wins is not fair even if all it affects is prize money.