Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Whoah, Cuz!

I don't need no video to get hyped about the new skate game, when just hearing Cuz brings all the good vibes from the earlier ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i'm excited but won't peak until we confirm/deny Reda's involvement

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

well why not posted:

i'm excited but won't peak until we confirm/deny Reda's involvement

All the stars from the Skate-games are old farts now, just like us.
I'd be surprised if more than 1 or 2 them will make a return.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

the Tony hawk remake has some new skaters in addition to the old farts:

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/tony-hawks-pro-skater-1-2-remaster-roster-new-skaters-1234645912/

tldr:
Nyjah Huston, Leo Baker, Leticia Bufoni, Aori Nishimura, Lizzie Armanto, Shane O’Neill, Riley Hawk and Tyshawn Jones

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
SkaterXL 1.0 impressions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tphfcZmpP_Q

Wonder when Session is gonna have another update as well.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Skater XL is officially out on Steam right now!

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Transition skating still feels very finicky imo. Wish they could have implemented a gravity settings option as well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Big Scary Owl posted:

Transition skating still feels very finicky imo. Wish they could have implemented a gravity settings option as well.

Yeah, not a fan of it. It messes with the street stuff too because you hit any kind of ramp and rocket into the stratosphere with comedy zero gravity physics.

The game is generally unplayable on my ancient PC. All the betas worked okay but they put some fancy lighting on the release version of the maps and most of them render as nothing but a lens flare. I can only play on the california skatepark map. RIP radeon 7900, you did your job well. :v:

The ragdolls got weird too, but maybe it's my PC loving up the physics. But if you bail dude goes sliding across the pavement like he jumped out of a car.

Watching people play it on youtube though, the maps look fantastic.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

The game is generally unplayable on my ancient PC. All the betas worked okay but they put some fancy lighting on the release version of the maps and most of them render as nothing but a lens flare.

Yeah, I had the same issue if you set the graphics to very low, so I'm playing on low. Fortunately I'm getting good FPS overall playing on low settings, but I'm hoping they add more graphical quality options. Session has an advantage in this case, since it's made with Unreal and you can make it as potato-like as you want it with the resolution scaling options.

edit: Wonder why there's no tutorials on manuals, reverting, or grabs.

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 28, 2020

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

The challenges are the extended tutorial for different tricks.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

What's the overall take on Skater XL? It's getting rave reviews on steam but I'm not quite sold

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's the best skating simulation ever. But the "game" parts like hand holding or story is completely nonexistent. If you want something that feels a bit closer to EA Skate, Session is probably better (due to a lot more configurability, it even has a recreation of Skate's controls).

Both are extremely simulation focused though. If you want a Tony Hawk experience, you'll hate both.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
C'mon, Owl. you're the OP of the X-GAMES GAMING thread and you don't even mention the new additions to the THPS 1+2 OST including "Brazil pestered us so much we couldn't avoid adding it to the soundtrack" Charlie Brown Jr.?

https://www.ign.com/articles/tony-hawks-pro-skater-1-2-soundtrack-37-new-songs

Some cool poo poo in there like A Tribe Called Quest and Screaming Females.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

xzzy posted:

It's the best skating simulation ever. But the "game" parts like hand holding or story is completely nonexistent. If you want something that feels a bit closer to EA Skate, Session is probably better (due to a lot more configurability, it even has a recreation of Skate's controls).

Both are extremely simulation focused though. If you want a Tony Hawk experience, you'll hate both.

Sessions attempt at 'skate' controls are complete poo poo currently. Their own control scheme is about par with skater xl.

If you want sandbox skating game and you don't take Skate 3 for an answer, the Skater XL is ok skating simulator.
After 3 hours I still find the control scheme overtly complicated, but doing simple stuff is fun. And the maps are really great.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

tote up a bags posted:

What's the overall take on Skater XL? It's getting rave reviews on steam but I'm not quite sold

My take after a solid 4-5 hours on xbone: Only pay 40 dollars for this if you are the kind of person who dicked around in Skate freemode forever trying to make video clips that look like real skate footage. However if that is you, this is definitely worth buying. There's juuuuuuust enough progression from Skate when it comes to MOST animations and the control over the speed of your board flips that it justifies the games existence and the hassle of learning this new control scheme. And make no mistake it's a loving hassle. Overall it feels like a Skate beta from an alternate universe where the more procedural/physics based feel of Skate1 was still in the game and the new big "hook" for gameplay is the ability to control the speed of your board flip. Which, to be fair, really is a big deal.

Other quick takes:

- Using keyframes to animate the camera in replay mode is a revelation and is going to make the skate vids made from this game look great, but I was running into glitches getting the game to actually save a clip correctly. After saving and going to the "pick preview picture" it would reset all my poo poo. The clip itself stays saved but not the angles and camera placement stuff. Weird.

- Transition skating feels hosed right now but I suspect it can be learned and eventually will look right. I sense there might be a semblance of improvement over skate when it comes to coping tricks and mini-ramp play but idk. I have no idea why they wanted to feature the "Big Ramp" map right now, that poo poo sucks and I will definitely be going back to Skate when I want to play transition (specifically the art gallery DLC's added vert park which I only recently realized I had and it's sooooo good).

- The Hudland park user map is extremely well designed

- Grinds are difficult to get into, especially flip ins. The game doesn't have Skate's "sense" of when you're trying to grind something. Nose/tail slides feel and look like poo poo compared to Skate.

- I assume this is going to get free more content eventually, if I was just a Skate casual person I'd probably be mad about paying 40 dollars for what amounts to like two Skate neighborhoods.

- Steering with the triggers does not make any sense at all at first but I can see the light sometimes. It's probably for the best if both sticks are going to be for tricks. In fact I wish there was an option to not let the left stick steer because I want to stop doing it as a habit.

adhuin posted:

If you want sandbox skating game and you don't take Skate 3 for an answer, the Skater XL is ok skating simulator.
After 3 hours I still find the control scheme overtly complicated, but doing simple stuff is fun. And the maps are really great.

I'm still on the fence on whether the control scheme is needlessly complicated. To me the two things it buys you are 1) Tricks are ALWAYS the same no matter your stance, doing a kickflip is always down on rs, flick left on left stick. If you're standing fakie and do that same sequence you get a fakie kickflip and 2) the slow floaty flips/shuvs. I can't tell you if that's entirely worth blowing up the Skate Flipstick, I suspect it's not.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 29, 2020

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Anyway here's a clip

https://i.imgur.com/7YQ2DzY.mp4

I like the impact of landings, that's one thing that looks more real than Skate. The 180's/360's can also be made to look more correct too idk that this one really is but there's something about the way they're animated that's a lot better.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

- I assume this is going to get free more content eventually, if I was just a Skate casual person I'd probably be mad about paying 40 dollars for what amounts to like two Skate neighborhoods.

Even if it doesn't, if you buy it on PC there is an endless list of custom maps being constantly updated. Quality is all over the place but if new places to see is a driving factor, do not buy this on a console.

quote:

I'm still on the fence on whether the control scheme is needlessly complicated. To me the two things it buys you are 1) Tricks are ALWAYS the same no matter your stance, doing a kickflip is always down on rs, flick left on left stick. If you're standing fakie and do that same sequence you get a fakie kickflip and 2) the slow floaty flips/shuvs. I can't tell you if that's entirely worth blowing up the Skate Flipstick, I suspect it's not.

I like it a lot better. By the time Skate 3 came out there were so many flickit possibilities missing a point by a couple degrees would completely change the trick, there were just too many dang options. It feels a lot easier to reproduce a trick in XL, and if you really want to nerd out about "style" it has tweaking options like board rotation speed, manual catching with either foot, change how the board moves through the air.. you can. As someone who was never able to do a kickflip I am a million miles away from being a skater so a lot of the subtleties are completely invisible to me, but skaters that play the game are really digging on it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I only have a non-gaming laptop and I suspect this game is not optimized enough to have a good time on it, but if push comes to shove I might check it out.

Another note: While there are a lot of animation related things that I think are an improvement over skate, the ones that aren't are REALLL clunkers. Notably, tail/nose slides. Which basically look loving perfect in Skate and are immensely satisfying to do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Another note: While there are a lot of animation related things that I think are an improvement over skate, the ones that aren't are REALLL clunkers. Notably, tail/nose slides. Which basically look loving perfect in Skate and are immensely satisfying to do.

Agreed, nose/tail slides often look like garbage because your skater never looks like they're locked in. You just kind of hover along the edge and it looks pretty cheesy. Anyone doing one tries to hide it in the replay editor with clever angles.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Hitting a back tail on a curved surface in Skate 3 is maybe the most satisfying thing to do in all of videogames imo.

I felt like there might have been a way to make it look better by shifting the weight on one or both of the sticks but if people who played early access haven't got it down it probably isn't real.

One other thing I like about this game is when you're doing manuals you can shift the weight around on one of the sticks to make it lower/higher or just futz around on it to make it look like you're really fighting to balance.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Of course, having said all that I sneak into the game and try to do some nose slides for the first time in a couple months because I'd given up on them, and either they tweaked it a little bit or I just got used to it because they seem better.

https://i.imgur.com/KPq7lR2.gifv

I still find it hard to tweak the angle of the board in the slide, but it feels more responsive to thumbstick nudges than I remember.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

That looks real nice.

Did you use to sport the striped shirts skater on Goonskate too or was that someone else?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wasn't me! It was the oldest man looking option in the list.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I appreciate the ample variety of sweatpants available in this game.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Dias posted:

C'mon, Owl. you're the OP of the X-GAMES GAMING thread and you don't even mention the new additions to the THPS 1+2 OST including "Brazil pestered us so much we couldn't avoid adding it to the soundtrack" Charlie Brown Jr.?

https://www.ign.com/articles/tony-hawks-pro-skater-1-2-soundtrack-37-new-songs

Some cool poo poo in there like A Tribe Called Quest and Screaming Females.

Oh poo poo, nice. I think I made the OP before THPS 1+2 was officially announced so maybe that's it. I should probably update the OP further at some point.

It's nice seeing this thread not dead now too, keep the clips coming!

xzzy posted:

Even if it doesn't, if you buy it on PC there is an endless list of custom maps being constantly updated. Quality is all over the place but if new places to see is a driving factor, do not buy this on a console.

I was thinking about that as well. Wonder if there's any chance of adding a catalog of modded maps for people on consoles to download, or something like that. The maps that are available in the base game are really great however.

One thing that I hope they fix in the future too are manual catches. It looks weird how you can always manually catch the board, even if it's upside down.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Did they tone down the 5ft olllies in skaterXL? I bought the beta 6 months ago but loving hated the way it played and got a refund. from one push you'd hit 15mph and with the ridiculous ollies it felt bizarre.

Session feels a lot more grounded and I kept that, but they seem to be making much slower progress on development. I much preferred sessions take on controls too. i use a pretty heavily customized set up with some of their own new approaches and some things from skate - really appreciated them making the control scheme so modular.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 29, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I didn't play this six months ago so can't speak to how it was then, but they aren't 5 foot ollies. They did put in a change for a "high pop" ollie if you use both thumbsticks versus a single thumbstick:

https://i.imgur.com/JTA5hQB.gifv

The high pop is about waist height, the normal is about knee height.

There are bugs with the transition skating that gives way too much air and gets annoying if you do something too close to anything the game thinks might be a quarter pipe but normal street stuff won't see that too often.

Session is definitely slower and heavier, and has options to adjust it how you want. XL has to do it with 3rd party mods. So choose your favorite!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Yeah it was high Ollie only - and if you look at the shadow it's definitely hitting 4 1/2 feet, at least. It's comfortably over waist high.

I definitely prefer slow, heavy and methodical. Maybe I'll pick up xl in the future and mod the poo poo out of it.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

cubicle gangster posted:

Did they tone down the 5ft olllies in skaterXL? I bought the beta 6 months ago but loving hated the way it played and got a refund. from one push you'd hit 15mph and with the ridiculous ollies it felt bizarre.

No they didn't, console players are playing the default version of the game right now too, they haven't been spoiled by the mods. Without the physics mods like the PC version, or having added them as a hardcore mode, the devs undermined any talk of this being a "simulation". The game was only a simulation when people asked for content. When people asked for simulation physics on their Discord, they would talk about how it's a game for everybody.

As bizarre as it was to rely on mods in the alpha to fix basic gameplay, we all thought they would make them "official" in some way before the release. Hopefully they figure out the cross-platform modding they been talking about the last couple of weeks. But even then, the mods break certain aspects of animations etc in the process of fixing the physics, we really need an official mode.

Honestly, these guys were completely shown up by their modding community during the alpha, I'm glad I got this for half price a long time ago, because it was the same game. A lot of the good word of mouth from PC players during the alpha was because we were playing it modded to hell, with proper physics, better graphcs, multiplayer(!) and an insane number of maps including all the THPS favourites.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 30, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The issue I see with modding XL to fix whatever one thinks has been done wrong is that all the maps have been created with the default physics settings, so if you mess with ollie height a lot of stuff becomes unskatable. So the you gotta bring the GUI up and tweak things constantly if you ever actually want to do anything.

It's far from the biggest problem in the game anyways. Nothing had been done about the glitchy as gently caress physics where you come to a dead stop in a grind when you hit a kink, or landing primo and the board sticks to a vertical surface, or your skater's hand phasing through his knee, or the low gravity transition physics, or the fact the only way to exit the game is to press escape on the keyboard even though it's otherwise 100% controller driven.

But I'm still having fun with it. :iiam:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

It's definitely gonna be fun for a lot of people, was just one of those Early Access rides.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Skater XL report. poo poo is still hard.

Babbys first skater XL video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzWj_-ETXL0

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Love the camera work, I think that's the real kicker to this......uh "game"

I spent way too long getting this close enough to right:

https://i.imgur.com/YfdZgQR.mp4

And about 30 seconds getting this right

https://i.imgur.com/9jPPNzN.mp4

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How much of that time was spent furiously deleting/re-adding keyframes because one bugged out and got the camera stuck staring at a glitched out grey screen? :v:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I've only messed with them seriously about 3 times but I haven't had any serious glitching. The problem I have is when I save a clip and it goes to the "pick a preview pic" mode it seems to completely futz up everything I did, angles and keyframes. So now I just set it up and capture with the xbox in the playback mode and just consider the saved clip a "raw" thing to be keyframed and whatnot whenever it's accessed again.

Is it possible to keyframe to another kind of camera? Like at the end with that big gap I wanted to simulate the filmer staying behind on the top part by switching to a free cam but it wasn't working the way I thought it would.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's one camera only. So master that freecam. :angel:

I had the keyframes disappear on picking the screenshot the first time I did a replay, but not after that. So it must be some silly random glitch. But I eventually decided I didn't care about saving replays so don't bother anymore.. realistically, I'm never going to go back and re-edit anything.

So like you I turn off the UI and play the clip, then save it.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
any word on multiplayer for xl?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

There's a mod for that on pc.

https://skaterxl.mod.io/xl-multiplayer

I haven't tried it yet.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Hello. I was an avid goonskater and I’m starting to get a feel for Skater XL. Like some people said, the things it doesn’t do as well as Skate are jarring. Nose/tail slides and blunts are messy. Nollie front foot flips were a favorite of mine and there doesn’t seem to be any late flip options here.

What’s the best way to capture footage on PC? I have access to a MacBook Air, so I’m guessing I can just use iMovie or whatever is on those to edit with. The lack of slow mo is a bummer, but maybe the frame rate is high enough that it won’t look to bad to slow it down after the fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Playing on windows, I have the game bar enabled. Edit replay, clear the hud, play it through then hit win+g to bring up the overlay and hit save clip in the upper left. You can hotkey it too. Saves a 60 FPS mp4 clip in Videos/Captures.