Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

an actual dog posted:

Beastars is out on Netflix today and it's one of the greats for real. it's about a wolf that falls in love with a rabbit while a bunch of wild poo poo happens. cute, scary, and funny. I'm gonna call it leftist because it's good.

poo poo is wildly good. I'm probably on a kick rn since I just rewatched JJBA s1-s2. An actual dog posted about it on twitter and I put it on since I'm WFH this week (so say we all) and I'm kind of blown away. Dubs are pretty good, as usual, Netflix's subs are kind of weird, imo.

Here's the intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgo9dJB_icw

if you're a dub watcher like me cause you're lazy (and in this case, it's pretty good) here's the actor list:

https://comicbook.com/anime/amp/2020/02/21/beastars-english-dub-cast-netflix/

If you dig it, there's a manga thread too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901720&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

If this thread is no needed or seen as redundant, I'd be happy to lock it;.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's fine. The other thread has grown to be more encompassing of where the manga is at as a whole, so this can be kept for Anime-exclusive discussion and whatnot.

And as always (from the Forum rules):

Wark Say posted:

On Spoilers
We live in an era where new chapters and/or episodes are announced and released with a certain set-your-watch-by-it regularity, with simulcasts and fan translations soon to follow. Once a new release has been announced and linked in its corresponding thread, discussion of its contents is free game and should not require spoiler tags. Please don’t whine to me or anyone else because you wandered into a thread on a day you knew there’d be something to talk about. If you are willing to use spoiler tags, a warning never hurts.

If a manga has an anime adaptation (which is the most common scenario) and the anime has its own thread, abstain from posting spoilers from the original manga on the anime thread.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
The dub is really good, by the way. Excellent performances all around.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I want to know how the algorithm chooses which image you get for the show on Netflix. I've seen a wide range of them in screenshots, from ones that look like an action series to like, a show about putting on a play? I guess that works lol

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i finished it. wtf. incredible.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Jack is the best boy.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Three episodes in and I have no problem with the dub.

Louis at the end of episode 3 is amazing.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

5 episodes in and this is incredibly charming.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

This is the best character cg I've seen by far on any netflix anime

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Spuckuk posted:

This is the best character cg I've seen by far on any netflix anime
It's because Studio Orange is doing the work- they did the adaptation of Land of the Lustrous which was also absolutely stellar visually.

They're very good at what they do.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Oh boy, I’m gonna watch beast stars all night tonight!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It kind of felt like I skipped some episodes of introduction or something, so that was a little jarring, but otherwise that was very silly. And also horrifying. Pretty funny that birdpeople can fly, you just need a license.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Doctor Reynolds posted:

It kind of felt like I skipped some episodes of introduction or something, so that was a little jarring, but otherwise that was very silly. And also horrifying. Pretty funny that birdpeople can fly, you just need a license.

The anime changes a few things around for pacing, but most of it isn't too important in the long run. For example - a scene where Louis pulls a gun on Bill at school when Bill finds out about Louis' past and tries to blackmail him got cut from... I think about the episode 9 mark? The first episode and the first chapter are also fairly different in how they handle the eventual reveal of Legoshi's character, and I think the anime did it a little better.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Was pretty pleased with the English dub. Jonah Scott did a real good job with Legosi.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zerilan posted:

Was pretty pleased with the English dub. Jonah Scott did a real good job with Legosi.

Yeah I was absolutely won over by the end. He nails those internal monologues.

Speaking of I never noticed how many monologues there were until now.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
Ho drat that was really good. Binged it over the last few days and it really just keeps you on your toes the whole way through. Very solid dub and really nice animation, also definitely one of the catchiest ops of the year.

I do sorta dislike the Netflix full dump though since I always really enjoy the episode to episode discussion

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Season 2 confirmed for next year.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I am not much of an anime watcher but the sheer intrigue of the premise combined with plague-driven social isolation pushed me right into watching this.

I'm a big fan! I noticed a lot of 3D models being used for the characters, but it was still beautifully animated. I can't fault the voice acting either (I started with Japanese audio, but switched a couple of episodes in)

I have a bit of a problem with the juxtaposition of sexual longing and the desire to literally kill and eat another animal. If I'm supposed to draw parallels between devouring and sexual assault as with the gang boss and his Weinstein-esque "rape" scene then it's absolutely impossible for me to find Legoshi sympathetic as a character. I'm not impressed by a character who's driving conflict, taken subtextually, is "Woe is me, I want to rape and murder real bad you guys... but I don't, and therefore am a tortured, yet chivalrous hero. That's just creepy and weird.

Now I think I'm reading too much into it. Part way through I started reading devouring as a more literal aspect of a fantastic setting. I think perhaps the intent was more to give devouring a sort of sexual assault/murder coding in order to better convey the extreme taboo of an act that never (rarely?) happens in real life. Taken that I enjoy the series, and Legoshi much more. It's still a tight rope walk, though.

Anyway. Outstanding teen drama/noir/gothic horror vibes coming from this dark and wacky setting. I love every character, and adore the little details of the universe like the chicken who takes immense pride in her eggs and the Biology sessions for different species. I think the culture and nuances of the setting are very well conveyed, and while I couldn't have predicted where this was all going even to it's current extent I'm absolutely hooked to see it play out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the shishigumi boss is a nightmarish serial killer who specifically targets and eats people in the creepiest way possible(the rest of the shishigumi remark on his creepy-rear end habits), legosi is a horny teenager who is trying to overcome his animal instincts that are mixing up lust with hunger so he can like this one girl

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Does the Anime in sync with the manga in that the storylines are matching up?

I hope we find out who the killer is next season.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Generally, yes. The anime removed some parts(like Louis aiming a handgun against Bill's forehead was one removed scene that a bunch of people lamented losing) As for the killer, well, if you saw the teaser at the end of this season, you probably have a good idea of what the next arc is going to be.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Riatsala posted:

I am not much of an anime watcher but the sheer intrigue of the premise combined with plague-driven social isolation pushed me right into watching this.

I'm a big fan! I noticed a lot of 3D models being used for the characters, but it was still beautifully animated. I can't fault the voice acting either (I started with Japanese audio, but switched a couple of episodes in)

I have a bit of a problem with the juxtaposition of sexual longing and the desire to literally kill and eat another animal. If I'm supposed to draw parallels between devouring and sexual assault as with the gang boss and his Weinstein-esque "rape" scene then it's absolutely impossible for me to find Legoshi sympathetic as a character. I'm not impressed by a character who's driving conflict, taken subtextually, is "Woe is me, I want to rape and murder real bad you guys... but I don't, and therefore am a tortured, yet chivalrous hero. That's just creepy and weird.

Now I think I'm reading too much into it. Part way through I started reading devouring as a more literal aspect of a fantastic setting. I think perhaps the intent was more to give devouring a sort of sexual assault/murder coding in order to better convey the extreme taboo of an act that never (rarely?) happens in real life. Taken that I enjoy the series, and Legoshi much more. It's still a tight rope walk, though.

Anyway. Outstanding teen drama/noir/gothic horror vibes coming from this dark and wacky setting. I love every character, and adore the little details of the universe like the chicken who takes immense pride in her eggs and the Biology sessions for different species. I think the culture and nuances of the setting are very well conveyed, and while I couldn't have predicted where this was all going even to it's current extent I'm absolutely hooked to see it play out.

The eating is distinct from sexual attraction (but not necessarily separate from it).

The realities that Gouhin presents to him are either:
1. It's genuine attraction because he's a teenager with a weird fetish. He's also a wolf, though. Which makes his attraction dangerous since he's still a carnivore and she's still a prey animal, regardless of their feelings for one another.

2. It's not genuine attraction. It's his misconstruing his predatory instincts choosing particular prey with infatuation.

The magazine was for Legosi to figure it out. If he could get his jollies to rabbit girls in general then he's just a wolf kid attracted to rabbit girls. Otherwise he's a predator pursuing prey.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Adder Moray posted:

The eating is distinct from sexual attraction (but not necessarily separate from it).

The realities that Gouhin presents to him are either:
1. It's genuine attraction because he's a teenager with a weird fetish. He's also a wolf, though. Which makes his attraction dangerous since he's still a carnivore and she's still a prey animal, regardless of their feelings for one another.

2. It's not genuine attraction. It's his misconstruing his predatory instincts choosing particular prey with infatuation.

The magazine was for Legosi to figure it out. If he could get his jollies to rabbit girls in general then he's just a wolf kid attracted to rabbit girls. Otherwise he's a predator pursuing prey.

That's fair, and a good point. In the grander anime outside of Legoshi there does seem to be a lot of coding linking predatory sexuality as we see it in real life and the predator/prey dynamic of the show's, though perhaps that's just a thematic extension of Legoshi's internal struggle, trying to discern between his instinctual desire to kill and eat and his affection for Haru (Hal?). In any case I adore the big dumb wolf and his teenage exploits. His and Haru's respective voice actors are especially talented and distinctive, which I really like.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Riatsala posted:

That's fair, and a good point. In the grander anime outside of Legoshi there does seem to be a lot of coding linking predatory sexuality as we see it in real life and the predator/prey dynamic of the show's, though perhaps that's just a thematic extension of Legoshi's internal struggle, trying to discern between his instinctual desire to kill and eat and his affection for Haru (Hal?).
You're not imagining it. There's a lot of interplay there. Part of it is a cultural thing. Not to act like an expert on a culture that isn't my own, but from what I have osmosed: Outside of this anime carnivore and gerbivore are ways of referring to certain types of (human) people, for example. And eating as metaphor for sex gets a lot of play.

quote:

In any case I adore the big dumb wolf and his teenage exploits. His and Haru's respective voice actors are especially talented and distinctive, which I really like.
As I have described the show in the past: It's a story about four dumb kids trying to figure themselves out while dealing with all kinds of societal pressures and influences.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Four? Wolf guy, rabbit gal, deer guy... who is the fourth? The tiger guy? Wolf gal?

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Four? Wolf guy, rabbit gal, deer guy... who is the fourth? The tiger guy? Wolf gal?

Juno, yes. To a much lesser extent than the other three, mind, but sufficiently far enough ahead the rest for me to include her in the count.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

Does the Anime in sync with the manga in that the storylines are matching up?

I hope we find out who the killer is next season.

that’s pretty much guaranteed considering the number of chapters the first season covered

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
also yeah the love/appetite conflation isn't universally as vile as the shishigumi's boss presents it to be. the manga goes into more detail about how dangerous relationships can be between herbivores and carnivores not just because of social stigma but because the participants need to unspool their feelings from their hunger

one neat detail is that haru is definitely more "predatory" than legosi when it comes to love, aggressively leveraging her sex appeal to make others subordinate to her, while legosi himself is a flinching dork who nearly gives himself a stroke trying to ask a girl's name. characters who try to step outside of the safe and socially accepted boundaries of same-species relationships usually end up with a deeper understanding of themselves in turn, even if it can easily lead to disaster

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Pyrotoad posted:

The dub is really good, by the way. Excellent performances all around.

Huge disagreement. Louis and Haru sound good but Legosi's VA is lacking, especially in the cafeteria when he tells the two to stop fighting. The JP VA is much more forceful while the English VA is lacking. I'll have to check out more episodes but so far I am very disappointed.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Monolith. posted:

Huge disagreement. Louis and Haru sound good but Legosi's VA is lacking, especially in the cafeteria when he tells the two to stop fighting. The JP VA is much more forceful while the English VA is lacking. I'll have to check out more episodes but so far I am very disappointed.

Incidentally, that was the only scene that I thought Legosi's VA was lacking. Everywhere else, I thought they did a great job, especially in differentiating between internal and external dialogue. I liked his "Hm? Hm? HM???"s during the scene with Haru undressing better, as well as the yelp when he slams his tail. His growls were great as well.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Crazy Ferret posted:

Incidentally, that was the only scene that I thought Legosi's VA was lacking. Everywhere else, I thought they did a great job, especially in differentiating between internal and external dialogue. I liked his "Hm? Hm? HM???"s during the scene with Haru undressing better, as well as the yelp when he slams his tail. His growls were great as well.

I watched up to the night market and the introduction of panda and I think the English VA is growing on me. I do prefer Legosi's Japanese VA as it's more inline with his character and what I figure it would sound like in the manga. The tail slam scene was pretty good.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I marathoned the subbed version last weekend and the dub this weekend. Legoshi is my awkward teenage wolf son and I love him

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Star Platinum posted:

I marathoned the subbed version last weekend and the dub this weekend. Legoshi is my awkward teenage wolf son and I love him

He is just so dumb and awkward and it's wonderful.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://youtu.be/6GvvFAvLGac
https://youtu.be/oygrABAPcn8

You can pay Legosi's English VA to meme for you.

Also some of the English cast got together and recorded commentary for the first few episodes: https://youtu.be/4VIU5PUSFMo

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Season 2 cant come soon enough.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

ASSUMING YOU'RE INTO THAT KIND OF THING, Jack Saint did a great video essay on Beastars season one all about queer coding, deviancy, and how Beastars succeeds at using the anthro fantasy metaphor much more successfully in it's depictions of prejudice than, say, Zootopia

It does not spoil the manga past the plot points of the first season, although he plans a followup that addresses the entire manga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKSpEOMHvIU

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
That was a fun essay. Thoguh now he's apparently doing a whole series, which I'm here for.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Riatsala posted:

ASSUMING YOU'RE INTO THAT KIND OF THING, Jack Saint did a great video essay on Beastars season one all about queer coding, deviancy, and how Beastars succeeds at using the anthro fantasy metaphor much more successfully in it's depictions of prejudice than, say, Zootopia

It does not spoil the manga past the plot points of the first season, although he plans a followup that addresses the entire manga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKSpEOMHvIU

The thing I like about Beastars is how speculative it is though. The stuff about appetite for another being and the wires getting crossed with sex, etc doesn’t seem to map well onto human society. I basically take it face value that these are animals with higher cognition and this is what their society became as they try to balance their urges.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I don't think your perspective is counter to the thesis of the video; it does assert at least a little that Beastars is good because it's not trying to map these human issues onto a fantasy world to make a point (like Zootopia/racism), rather it embraces the fantastic and takes it to a logical and very literal conclusion. It's a show that touches on very human themes of power, sexuality, and violence, yet it can be taken at face value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
On top of doing bad memes and commentary streams, the English VAs for Legosi and Louis also wrote/sang a fansong ballad together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82GCcUbJNRs

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 13, 2020