Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lamuella posted:

From the Wikipedia page on Herb Abrams

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herb_Abrams

The reenactment of this in the Dark Side of the Ring episode about is going to rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I am 100% fine with this staying exclusively a thread about Kota Ibushi

https://twitter.com/Tarratastic/status/1166912496969666565

E: he is the pro wrestling version of Sage Northcutt

DJExile fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 20, 2020

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

iirc Kota's dad was some bigwig at like an electrical company or something.

This is the MCU origin story we all need in these trying times.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

iirc Kota's dad was some bigwig at like an electrical company or something. He would have had an easy gig for life but immediately threw it away because literally all he's ever wanted to do was wrestle

Hayabusa's family was also real well off (from the hotel industry iirc), and he passed that up to go into wrestling

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Kota buys low salt potato chips and then puts salt on them

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

He has never ingested potato

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, he buys low salt potato chips, then puts salt on them, then he just kind of sits there and smiles at what he has wrought :)

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

He's not a himbo. He's The Himbo.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
To this day I'm still a bit unsure if anybody ever smartened up Ibushi or not, or if somebody did whether he understood what they were trying to tell him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No no, he knows, he figured it out at a young age. That's why he went into wrestling, because he found out Goku was just a drawing.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Jerusalem posted:

No no, he knows, he figured it out at a young age. That's why he went into wrestling, because he found out Goku was just a drawing.

does... does he think the other wrestlers are also drawings?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No no, all the wrestlers are real, it's anime that is just drawings (but also maybe it is real too?)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Kota would definitely be fooled by the Community "I became animation" gag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlCN7sLh6Gk

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Kota Ibushi is forever trapped in a lifelong quest to Make Anime Real and the sooner we all accept that fact the better

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Kota Ibushi is forever trapped in a lifelong quest to Make Anime Real and the sooner we all accept that fact the better

a noble and virtuous quest

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

He's going to wrestle on his 80th birthday and he's going to shoot a laser out of his hands and we all have to accept that.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

all the kota stuff is a work, sorry to let everyone down

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yea ok posted:

wow, mods??????????

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
i'm only about 20 minutes into the Tanahashi and Ibushi interview on NJPW World but it's already got some incredible Ibushi moments

Ibushi has also revealed that he lives on a 25 hour day instead of the normal 24.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
J-ru rename this thread to "Kota Ibushi is so loving weird" tia.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Cerebral Bore posted:

J-ru rename this thread to "Kota Ibushi is so loving weird" tia.

Have you ever thought that it is Kota Ibushi who is normal, and we are the weird ones?

Eh? Eh?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

dordreff posted:

i'm only about 20 minutes into the Tanahashi and Ibushi interview on NJPW World but it's already got some incredible Ibushi moments

Ibushi has also revealed that he lives on a 25 hour day instead of the normal 24.
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1241228036621709312

Bruh.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

dordreff posted:

the classic Ibushi story is the time he had a match against Kenny Omega in one of the biggest and most important venues in Japan, the Nippon Budokan. Supposedly, they were taken aside before the show and told specifically not to do any high risk moves like jumping off the balcony, or they would be banned from the venue.

Kota Ibushi received a lifetime ban from the Nippon Budokan (though it was overturned a couple years ago when NJPW started running the building for big shows again).

Didn't Kenta Kobashi ask him not to do it too?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1241232382457503744
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1241234477956976640

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Upon leaving New Japan in 2016 Ibushi founded his own promotion, the 'Kota Ibushi Pro Wrestling Research Institute'. And while it never ran any shows and I don't think he ever planned it to the fact still fills me with joy.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Upon leaving New Japan in 2016 Ibushi founded his own promotion, the 'Kota Ibushi Pro Wrestling Research Institute'. And while it never ran any shows and I don't think he ever planned it to the fact still fills me with joy.
Wasn't it less a promotion and more just a booking office that only he worked for?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

All I know is he was billed as representing the Kota Ibushi Pro Wrestling Research Institute when he was freelance and I thought it was very good.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

The raw confusion on his face

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

the arm wrestling bit is incredible, especially the payoff when Yano finds out they're doing it and rushes over to challenge Ibushi

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Didn't Kenta Kobashi ask him not to do it too?

That's one of the rumours but since Kobashi was still working in Noah at the time it's probably not the case.
There's also the rumour that Ibushi did it specifically to prove that it was a dumb rule, which probably makes sense in his mind but for anyone else "don't jump off a high balcony onto a hard concrete floor" is a pretty good rule to live by.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

gotta be fair here, ibushi living 25 hour days is a real condition not just his usual weirdness and i got hella respect for the people out there that can manage it, even though hes on the less severe end of it. ive got a 27 hour internal clock and it loving blows trying to fit into conventional society

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Paper Lion posted:

gotta be fair here, ibushi living 25 hour days is a real condition not just his usual weirdness and i got hella respect for the people out there that can manage it, even though hes on the less severe end of it. ive got a 27 hour internal clock and it loving blows trying to fit into conventional society

Huh. I think I may have realized something about myself just now.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Kota Ibushi posted:

Imagine four moonsaults off the edge of a cliff.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

yea ok posted:

Yeah, a work of genius.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God's most beautiful idiot :allears:

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I love when the host says "is he serious?" And Tana says "yes. He's serious." Like he's seen it all before, and worse, and understands his role with Kota is an adult-child guardianship.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I hope that Kota just wrote "he helped me with my pen"

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Maybe it's because he is so beautiful, maybe it's because he seems so innocent, maybe even it's out of respect for his phenomenal wrestling skills.

But I like how very few people seem to hold weirdo, stupid, insane, (i would assume) high maintenance Kota Ibushi any ill will.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Kota Ibushi is only a harm to himself

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if AEW really wants Kota they just need the Bucks to cut a promo talking about how his neck is invincible and nothing bad will ever happen to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Somebody just has to mention to Kota that he can fall on his head every week in front of an audience of almost a million people and he'll mysteriously appear outside Trillionaire Tony's office, contract in hand.