Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Didn't Kota sign like a lifetime New Japan contract?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

El Generico posted:

Didn't Kota sign like a lifetime New Japan contract?

From an interview he did slightly just shy of a year ago:

quote:

Interviewer: How long is your contract for?

Ibushi: Contract… To me, this is the last place I’ll be. Until the day I die. Until the end. That’s my contract period. (To Sugabayashi) Is that OK? Until the very end? OK then (laughs).

The wording implies to me that it's just a normal (or possibly slightly longer term) contract that he's committed to renewing with them for the forseeable future. I think it was initially reported/announced as a 2 year thing specifically but that might have changed or been inaccurate.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Given everything we know, can we really assume that Kota understands how contracts work?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

In that Aja Kong vid...was Kota walking somewhere specifically or did the camera crews just luck out in catching a wild Kota in the wild?

Also...that 25 hour a day...I can't wrap my head in understanding it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Kota's contract status doesn't matter as much as does AEW's relationship with New Japan.

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

How did Chuck Taylor know about my quarantine workout routine 14 years ago

https://youtu.be/AuH4gGNb4cA

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So um...Kota Ibushi is 37 years old. What will Kota do in 5 years when he suddenly can't stick the landing on the phoenix splash and he can't understand why because he doesn't know what aging is?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I don't think you can assume a decline: there are plenty of people in their mid to late 40s in Japan that are still very good wrestlers wrestling at a high level (Nagata and Kojima can still go when they need to, you've got HARASHIMA in DDT, hell one of the best wrestlers so far this year has been 47 year old Masato Tanaka; a dude that people have been saying can't carry on at the same level for much longer basically since he was in ECW. The dude clearly is smart enough to know how to adapt for physical limitations and that's the more important thing: the very best wrestlers drop moves all the time and you sort of don't notice they have after a short while.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

IceAgeComing posted:

I don't think you can assume a decline: there are plenty of people in their mid to late 40s in Japan that are still very good wrestlers wrestling at a high level (Nagata and Kojima can still go when they need to, you've got HARASHIMA in DDT, hell one of the best wrestlers so far this year has been 47 year old Masato Tanaka; a dude that people have been saying can't carry on at the same level for much longer basically since he was in ECW. The dude clearly is smart enough to know how to adapt for physical limitations and that's the more important thing: the very best wrestlers drop moves all the time and you sort of don't notice they have after a short while.
Although I really do need it explained to me what Tanaka was doing to keep from getting massively debilitating brain damage. He clearly took head shots different from other people, but I'm not sure how exactly it could/would have benefitted him.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

pretend i linked the scene from the simpsons where dr. hibbert explains to homer about the special layer of fluid protecting his brain

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

ChrisBTY posted:

So um...Kota Ibushi is 37 years old. What will Kota do in 5 years when he suddenly can't stick the landing on the phoenix splash and he can't understand why because he doesn't know what aging is?

He is going to be wrestling for the next 100+ years.

He said so himself

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Every 24 days, Kota has lived 1 more day than us, so that's about 15 days a year, times 37 years, so he's already like 40, so he has a 50/50 chance of still landing it at 42, which means a 75% chance of winning. The math doesn't lie

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Hirez posted:

Every 24 days, Kota has lived 1 more day than us, so that's about 15 days a year, times 37 years, so he's already like 40, so he has a 50/50 chance of still landing it at 42, which means a 75% chance of winning. The math doesn't lie

And it spells disaster for you at Sacrifice Sakura Genesis

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

TV Zombie posted:

In that Aja Kong vid...was Kota walking somewhere specifically or did the camera crews just luck out in catching a wild Kota in the wild?

Also...that 25 hour a day...I can't wrap my head in understanding it.

The way I understand it is your body clock tends to drift... so say if you went to bed at 10 one day your body clock wouldn't kick in until 11 the next, then midnight, and so on and so forth.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

This would be a bigger worry if there was any evidence that Ibushi ages.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

He’ll start doing the High Fly Flow once he retires Tanahashi

Also Kota will still be hitting the Phoenix Splash when he’s like 60. He will somehow both look and move like he’s still 29.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Our :tinfoil: theory on the Rudocast is that Ibushi is a cyborg

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

ChrisBTY posted:

lmao that Kota is anything but eternal

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

What's weirder than Kota being 37 is him not visibly aging at all. He looks pretty much exactly like he did when he wrestled that four-way in Chikara.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Kota Ibushi has a Dorian Grey style portrait of himself somewhere showing all teh damage that fireworks in the arse and landing on your head does to a normal person.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

davidbix posted:

Although I really do need it explained to me what Tanaka was doing to keep from getting massively debilitating brain damage. He clearly took head shots different from other people, but I'm not sure how exactly it could/would have benefitted him.

His forehead is the largest forehead I've ever seen in my life.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BrigadierSensible posted:

Kota Ibushi has a Dorian Grey style portrait of himself somewhere showing all teh damage that fireworks in the arse and landing on your head does to a normal person.

Then the camera pulls back and you realize it's just one bumpy bit of scar tissue on New Jack's forehead.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/SirLARIATO/status/1240003764402229248

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I sincerely believe that on his 80th birthday Kota ibushi will ascend to the edge of space in one of those NASA balloons, then moonsault off it.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
God bless our gorgeous wrestle idiot

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Kota must have a diligent skincare routine.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

quote:

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kota Ibushi being 37 years old is loving mindblowing. He is older than Okada yet looks like he's slightly younger.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if AEW really wants Kota they just need the Bucks to cut a promo talking about how his neck is invincible and nothing bad will ever happen to it.

iirc AEW could have easily had Ibushi join but Omega did not want to pose this request, knowing Ibushi would say yes but wanted his buddy to have a chance to achieve his dream of being IWGP world champion.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DLC Inc posted:

Kota Ibushi being 37 years old is loving mindblowing. He is older than Okada yet looks like he's slightly younger.

You know what's real mindfucky? Ibushi is actually slightly older than Naito.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

DLC Inc posted:

iirc AEW could have easily had Ibushi join but Omega did not want to pose this request, knowing Ibushi would say yes but wanted his buddy to have a chance to achieve his dream of being IWGP world champion.

The rumor is actually Ibushi's pissed at the Young Bucks because Nick Jackson didn't give Ibushi a cut of the Golden Lovers shirt money.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The guy also said himself that when he was negotiating that New Japan were a lot clearer about what level he'd be positioned at and what he'd be doing while AEW were like "sign with us!" and without knowing the financial side of this (which I imagine would also favour New Japan but that's just a guess) going with the company that has clear plans to push you to the top (G1 victory, main eventing the Tokyo Dome) vs a company where you aren't going to be in that top group and likely would be number 2 in a tag team that'd get pushed but not right to the top: the decision is obvious. Especially if they did actually screw him out of merch money; at that point it would become a question of trust anyway.

It is 100% not whatever soppy "well I didn't go after him so he could get his dreams!!!" bullshit that Kenny has said: they absolutely tried to get him to sign and he went in a different direction.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

IceAgeComing posted:

The guy also said himself that when he was negotiating that New Japan were a lot clearer about what level he'd be positioned at and what he'd be doing while AEW were like "sign with us!" and without knowing the financial side of this (which I imagine would also favour New Japan but that's just a guess) going with the company that has clear plans to push you to the top (G1 victory, main eventing the Tokyo Dome) vs a company where you aren't going to be in that top group and likely would be number 2 in a tag team that'd get pushed but not right to the top: the decision is obvious. Especially if they did actually screw him out of merch money; at that point it would become a question of trust anyway.

It is 100% not whatever soppy "well I didn't go after him so he could get his dreams!!!" bullshit that Kenny has said: they absolutely tried to get him to sign and he went in a different direction.

Kota Ibushi is definitely a man who understands and cares about money. Also Kenny was totally faking those tears!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

Kota must have a diligent skincare routine.

he blasts his face with fireworks every morning and it works purely because he believes it will