Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

I want my bad habits rewarded lol. But it's not just that, this year perfectly lined up swings on fastballs literally just outside the top of the zone will be weak popouts now without the trait apparently. Anyways Trout went down after I got him last week and despite playing well (So I think). I think I'll sell him and just get s2 cards that catch my eye. It's clear that live series cards are just meant as collection gatekeepers this year and not to challenge other cards on the power curve.

I dunno if that's really true, I feel like I've jacked tons of good hits off things just outside the zone, I think maybe that player is just fixating on the times it didn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
So much stuff to do in this set.

They adjusted Ranked rewards, making it take much longer to grind and also making grind path no sell.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

MJBuddy posted:

So much stuff to do in this set.

They adjusted Ranked rewards, making it take much longer to grind and also making grind path no sell.

Make it harder, sure. But I don't like the No Sell.

I say that as a No Money Spent person who doesn't spend his stubs on anything outside of the Live Series collections until they are completed. I also complete all the other collections. Even Audio Calls.

In the late game, if a WS Reward or BR Reward doesn't fill a slot on the teams or collections, it should be sellable.

O'm also less than twenty cards away from Seager. Yay!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

That Kaiju showdown can go to hell. Specifically the Warren Spahn part.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Captain Log posted:

That Kaiju showdown can go to hell. Specifically the Warren Spahn part.

The Set 2 cards, generally, all seem to kinda suck for just powering through content with high power hitting.

Great contact and speed folks all around but I failed Kaiju once and TA East like three times because I couldn't just stack power vs R and exit velo perks.

Been leaning hard on bunt cheese and filling the top half of my lineup with speed bunters to get 1-3 on the bases and then knock everyone in or just keep moving them over until I can sac fly them all.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

MJBuddy posted:

The Set 2 cards, generally, all seem to kinda suck for just powering through content with high power hitting.

Great contact and speed folks all around but I failed Kaiju once and TA East like three times because I couldn't just stack power vs R and exit velo perks.

Been leaning hard on bunt cheese and filling the top half of my lineup with speed bunters to get 1-3 on the bases and then knock everyone in or just keep moving them over until I can sac fly them all.

The problem is the amount of lefty batters and lefty pitchers makes for some real bullshit. But that's not even the problem. I hit a Perfect/Perfect flyable with Brandon loving Lowe with two on to beat Spahn.

It got caught by a jumping center fielder at the wall. Each one of the fielders is going like Keven Kiermeyer.

What the gently caress!?

Also, the event ends this Thursday or Friday. I've already got ten wins to unlock Lefty Grove, who doesn't look like he could stand up to a God Squad. But Mike Mussina? I always pitch heat with him. However, he is only a 97...for 20 wins...on a short event?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I packed Goldschmidt and basically am one Arenado away (35k) from completing the NL Central collection and getting Honus who would be really fun in my pirates team (really good bunting and stealing and would be like 95 speed with the captain boost). I think I'm gonna do that and then have a long term goal of collecting all the NL guys and getting Sosa (who fits into my DR team and well.... every team) then stopping my collecting there. Valenzuela would be fun to have too and now that theres the mexico captain he'd probably be really good.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I have charisma Ricky and charisma Biggio they are perfect stealing on the basebaths so far. I am currently 1/4 with the new Berti and I can not fathom why

One tap leadoff full stretch wind up he’s sniped just now. I’m losing my mind

Perfect perfects dying at the warning track or landing directly into an infielders glove feels awful and I’m not sure why that’s so prevalent this year

Edit: Perfect x2 with AARON JUDGE just scraped the wall lol

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 16, 2023

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Completed the Live Collection for the first time ever. Had a Tatis Jr sitting around that I didn’t need because I locked the Padres in before he came back from suspension so the stubs from that put me over the top for Trout. Of course it’s the year the reward cards aren’t as useful with 99s everywhere, but that’s probably why I was able to do it more easily. Packing DeGrom and Shohei saved some stubs too.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I just finished the Kaiju Program, and it makes me sad that the main reward is a 97 Billy Williams. 99 Williams was one of my best cards last year. But at 97, he doesn't even have a place on my bench.

I'm a DeGrom, Judge, Ohtani, and Trout away from being done with collections. Sammy Sosa is gross in the best way possible.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Team affinity East with no checkpoint rewarding you with facing Jacob Degrom is so hosed lol

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

the_american_dream posted:

Team affinity East with no checkpoint rewarding you with facing Jacob Degrom is so hosed lol

Oh I got Cortez but also you can't build a targeted squad well because they're throwing lefties and righties at you the whole way.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Seems to be the case with incognito too.

Haven’t managed to get by round 3 and no exploit found. Even the base runner seems random. Can’t put a speed guy at 8 expecting him on base. Hopefully complaining on the internet helps

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Incognito was brutal for me, specifically the Sale challenge. I got a roll without him and won it out. Stacked speed in the top half of my lineup and diamond bunt cheese, basically bunted until I got to my hitters who had to drive it. On tied challenges it's okay because you can get these folks over, steal 2nd, bunt to third and then just put it in play to win.

But I still won a ton of these on my last at bat. Didn't feel confident the whole time. Lots of bunts with 99 DBunt players and diamond bunt perk popping up nonsense.

A tip: you can steal 2nd automatically with just about any batter with 70+ speed (give or take based on catchers arm). Wait until the pitcher sets and as he looks over, hold RT to bring up the pitch menu, then press LB to take a longer lead and double tap LT to send the runner at first movement. Take a sec/beat then release and the pitcher will pitch normally and not throw over.

Some risk involved. Great catchers can nab you if you're slow, and if they happened to be pitching out they may get you.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Once I finish Nelson Cruz and the next "Repeatable : Get 2500 pop with program players, I'll be at 99 of 100.

No, I've not beat the Showdown.

:stare:

Showdowns feel a hell of a lot more difficult in 23.

Also, I'm on a God awful run of running into loving goons in the 500-600 range in ranked. I faced a tier three Durability Captain theme team with a boosted Nolan Ryan. It's a God damned miracle that I only got beat 8-4. My ranked record has gone from 21-12 to 21-16 in the past week.

I'm also getting pasted in the event by insane records in every drat game. I've only got four God drat wins, which is abysmal considered how I normally do in events.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Ok, looking into buying this game but having trouble finding information about the features I want and which version has the best gameplay. I'm looking for:

- An older version (hopefully) so the price is lower
- Access to legendary players, old stadiums and classic teams - from the 70's, 80's and 90's specifically
- Ability to create my own team/stadium/uniforms/logo in a fantasy draft franchise mode
- Not having to grind or loot box my way to get the players I want, not have to pay an arm and a leg for them or do all the custom work myself.
- Minimal slider adjustments to enjoy the game

Mainly, I want a good baseball sim and I hear this is the one to get, but I hope to play the 1980, 2008 and 1993 Phillies along with the 1982 or 1987 Cardinals, the late 80's Oakland A's and the 1986 Mets. I'm old and my fondest memories of the game reflect that. Can you just download/buy rosters or seasons you like or is it a thing where you have to unlock poo poo with achievements and stuff like Madden Ultimate Team?

NBA 2k has a lot of classic teams and rosters right out of the box that I enjoy loving around with and a robust custom team feature so any version of this game with stuff like that is good if such a thing exists.

TIA for the advice.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Your best bet for a pitch perfect sim across eras is going to be Out of the Park Baseball. If you're looking to get more micro into playing, you should be able to find appropriate rosters made by others online that you can download and play.

No mtx nonsense in the franchise mode, just look up a roster (on operation sports or the like), download and I believe you can fantasy draft no trouble.

This is built in for OOTP though.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I PULLED loving MANTLE!!!

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

BiggerBoat posted:

Ok, looking into buying this game but having trouble finding information about the features I want and which version has the best gameplay. I'm looking for:

- An older version (hopefully) so the price is lower
- Access to legendary players, old stadiums and classic teams - from the 70's, 80's and 90's specifically
- Ability to create my own team/stadium/uniforms/logo in a fantasy draft franchise mode
- Not having to grind or loot box my way to get the players I want, not have to pay an arm and a leg for them or do all the custom work myself.
- Minimal slider adjustments to enjoy the game

Mainly, I want a good baseball sim and I hear this is the one to get, but I hope to play the 1980, 2008 and 1993 Phillies along with the 1982 or 1987 Cardinals, the late 80's Oakland A's and the 1986 Mets. I'm old and my fondest memories of the game reflect that. Can you just download/buy rosters or seasons you like or is it a thing where you have to unlock poo poo with achievements and stuff like Madden Ultimate Team?

NBA 2k has a lot of classic teams and rosters right out of the box that I enjoy loving around with and a robust custom team feature so any version of this game with stuff like that is good if such a thing exists.

TIA for the advice.

Unfortunately if you want a baseball sim you can actually control the players in, MLB The show is basically the only game in town, and it's missing a bunch of what you're looking for.

Pretty much every modern version of the show has franchise mode, quick play and diamond dynasty. Franchise/quick play you can download rosters, many of which are historic seasons and teams, but out of the box all of the game legends are on legend teams like the "mid century groundbreakers" which has every legend pre like, 1970 or so. While there are old stadiums, there are only like, 10ish total, so I hope you like forbes and old yankee stadium. The PS5/Xbox version of MLB the show 22 does have a stadium creator, but none of the old-gen/I think switch versions do.

DD is the "spend time/money grinding to get card versions of the players you want" and while tradtionally it's a lot less money hungry than UT from madden, it's still gonna be a bit of a grind to get the players you're looking for unless they're explicitly free in some of the programs.

If the stadiums/older teams is more of a dealbreaker, might be worth looking into OOTP like MJBuddy said

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
^^^Thank you for the help^^^

RE: The roster downloads

From what I can tell these are free(?) downloads the servers, but they appear to be user created? Is that right?

I assume there's some good reddit threads or something that reviews how good or accurate they are and lists the best ones. I'll do some more searching and see if there are some decent rosters I'm looking for.

Any reason not to buy a previous version (2022 or 2021)? I guess I could just read some reviews. I play older (cheaper) versions of NBA2k and they're good.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

The Commerce Comet’s first act on my team was nuking a home run off the first 99 Randy Johnson I’ve seen this season.

They quit.

I believe this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Is there anyway to sort your cards by which ones are sellable?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Nope

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
it's actually kinda insane how bad the interface still is for interacting with cards and inventory

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

You absolutely have to get the app. That makes selling dupes easy as hell.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Captain Log posted:

You absolutely have to get the app. That makes selling dupes easy as hell.

Yeah but I have a bunch of non dupe special cards I want to offload and they have the same card design as the thousands of nonsellables.

Stefan Prodan posted:

it's actually kinda insane how bad the interface still is for interacting with cards and inventory

It's really poo poo lol. I'm gonna have to go through my cards one by one and make a list I guess. The whole market is awful what this placing orders and stuff. Fifa does a lot of things worse but MLB would do well to learn from them when it comes to card selling and organization.

Also does anyone else think set 1 cards will start to plummet soon? Sasaki has fallen quite a bit but I'm wondering if i should sell him now for like 90 then possibly buy back at 40 or whatever down the road.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Seltzer posted:

Yeah but I have a bunch of non dupe special cards I want to offload and they have the same card design as the thousands of nonsellables.

It's really poo poo lol. I'm gonna have to go through my cards one by one and make a list I guess. The whole market is awful what this placing orders and stuff. Fifa does a lot of things worse but MLB would do well to learn from them when it comes to card selling and organization.

Also does anyone else think set 1 cards will start to plummet soon? Sasaki has fallen quite a bit but I'm wondering if i should sell him now for like 90 then possibly buy back at 40 or whatever down the road.

Depends on the source. Like WBC BR cards are only available at max price but WBC pack cards will keep showing up as throw ins for conquests and weeklies and whatnot. Or in flash sales.

I'm really regretting not buying the captains packs, which were 30k per and now each card is 45k.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

MJBuddy posted:

Depends on the source. Like WBC BR cards are only available at max price but WBC pack cards will keep showing up as throw ins for conquests and weeklies and whatnot. Or in flash sales.

I'm really regretting not buying the captains packs, which were 30k per and now each card is 45k.

Yeah I snagged the Venezuela captain card for like 25k and its up to 60 or 70. It's a fun and good boost + it's a set 2 card and there's probably going to be a lot of good venezuelans coming still in set 2 and 3

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
I hate that the marketplace doesn't let me filter by which hand they use.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Seltzer posted:

You could use the app, then sort by "Not Owned" and go from there. You can also drill down on every other category, if that helps.

I swear to Christ, the app makes selling cards roughly 950% easier.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I moved the A’s to Vegas and rebuilt based on defense. My defense then pitched a perfect game

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I'd love a filter for cards that have "uncompleted missions"

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I play about three hours a night as my wind down time. I'll do one ranked game, a couple three inning games, then CPU grinding.

Right now, I'm done with every single program, all the Team Affinity One and Two, and am bored enough to be working through the All Gold Mini Season and grinding my CAP.

This is a weird dead zone at the moment. I'll keep playing, because I find it a relaxing way to cap off my day. But with all the content they drop, SDS needs to add more conquest maps and more free high value packs.

Event Rewards have been unusable, too.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

It's definitely a weird feeling this year. Team affinity is such a drat grind every set so far, then content comes at a snails pace. Anyways...

Who's everyone wild cardin' next set? I feel like Chipper is the easy answer but man Grayson Rodriguez is lights out and I'm seriously tempted to use him forever.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Grem posted:

It's definitely a weird feeling this year. Team affinity is such a drat grind every set so far, then content comes at a snails pace. Anyways...

Who's everyone wild cardin' next set? I feel like Chipper is the easy answer but man Grayson Rodriguez is lights out and I'm seriously tempted to use him forever.

I think I prefer the progression to 99 over the year. The instant 99 and weird cycling seasons stuff has made 99.9% of rewards pretty subpar. I’m not even sure if any of the BR rewards would make my S2 God Squad. I’m no money spent, and have only purchased live series cards without selling anything that isn’t a dupe.

It makes things like completing Set One useless. Am I going to Wild Card Pedro in a month? Nah.

Chipper makes the most sense. But 99 Turner in lead off has been bonkers for me, and Babe Ruth is a monster.

I like batting lefty-lefty, because most people just hammer in so much you don’t even need to love your pci.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

My problem so far is the incompatibility of the clever Mini Seasons with Team Affinity or other programs, so it's a little cumbersome to grind out Topps now or monthly awards, and then I'm not using it those rewards because I'm doing a lefty mini season or gold only challenge.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

MJBuddy posted:

My problem so far is the incompatibility of the clever Mini Seasons with Team Affinity or other programs, so it's a little cumbersome to grind out Topps now or monthly awards, and then I'm not using it those rewards because I'm doing a lefty mini season or gold only challenge.

Not being able to just take one of your existing squads in is a huge pain in the rear end. Especially when you have a grind squad. I'll end up putting off Mini Season grinding because I don't feel like spending ten minutes figuring out who exactly I need in my lineup.

The thing that bugs me the most is what happens to Sets once they've expired.

A - What's the incentive to collect cards you almost exclusively cannot use online?

B - What's the method to collect cards that have been largely phased out?

C - This means I will never stop using Jeter or Sosa. Even though Sosa seems to be one of the cards I'm trash with at the plate, but he gets enough DRS to be impossible to take out of the lineup.

I went back and looked at my squads from last year. I had a P5 99 squad including relievers, a P5 mixed squad, and a lot of other good stuff. I've not hit P5 on anything yet, because I only play about three hours a day. I've got a couple P4s, but none of them are close to P5.

Again, I don't think this new approach is inherently broken. It just needs work before I'd prefer it to a traditional power creep.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Just finished that Father's Day program. I put it about on par with the Mexico program in uselessness. Not a single one of those cards will ever get used. They really need to put better rewards at the end of programs and Team Affinity.

But those two choice packs? Both of them hit the rare round for me, so I have father and son Holliday. Jackson Holliday doesn't have quirks, but seems to mash the ball.

Oh, and I pulled Ohtani out of a standard pack last night. I already have Ohtani, so I sold him for 155k. :smug:

I'm going into season three with Live series finished, Core series complete, 2/3 on both set collections, and 255k stubs without ever selling anything that wasn't a dupe. I play about three hours a night and have been No Money Spent the whole time.

:smug:

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
So I see that 112,606 people have gotten the Matt Chapman April Monthly Award card to green parallel. There's no way that many people completed the program.

And if it's from Battle Royale, I still don't think that many people are good enough to get 500 xp with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Jubs posted:

So I see that 112,606 people have gotten the Matt Chapman April Monthly Award card to green parallel. There's no way that many people completed the program.

And if it's from Battle Royale, I still don't think that many people are good enough to get 500 xp with him.

Chapman and Sosa are the embodiment of real life Joey Gallo for me. They hit about .230, but anything they touch gets the gently caress out in a hurry.