Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I love Maddux too much, plus my outfield is already full of Griffey, Mantle and... some kid on the Nationals? I don't remember his name, but he's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I will play this game for about 2 months on gamepass like I do each year, build my all dominican team, then quit when the power curve gets out of hand like always. Hopefully the've reigned in the power curve a bit. Also I think I've mentioned this before, the most fun I've ever had playing this game was when they had an all silver event the did (like 3 years ago now). If they had that + an all gold and below event going the whole year I'd play the game at lot more and it would make a lot of parallels a lot more important.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

I will play this game for about 2 months on gamepass like I do each year, build my all dominican team, then quit when the power curve gets out of hand like always. Hopefully the've reigned in the power curve a bit. Also I think I've mentioned this before, the most fun I've ever had playing this game was when they had an all silver event the did (like 3 years ago now). If they had that + an all gold and below event going the whole year I'd play the game at lot more and it would make a lot of parallels a lot more important.

Yeah, if you want to play with regular rear end players the game modes for you are either BR which sucks cause you can't use the same team over and over or just normal ranked seasons (like not in DD) but same problem there

They are at least resetting the curve every season this time, like no season 1 cards in season 2 etc.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

blossommirage posted:

I love Maddux too much, plus my outfield is already full of Griffey, Mantle and... some kid on the Nationals? I don't remember his name, but he's pretty good.

I like maddux too but Buxton has 26 hits for me on All-Star and 17 of them have been home runs, the guy is absolutely bananas

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

In Fifa you used to be able to use normal cards essentially all year in the 13-16 era. Then the gacha elements got more and more nefarious and fine tuned. But even until like fifa 19 there were gold and silver tournaments you could play anytime, then they took them out. Now its the most FOMO grindy daily interaction and or money spent necessary thing in sports gaming to the point where its both said and impressive. They dont want you to have a mode where you cant feel left out for not having the top cards that they slowly dole out in timed intervals to keep your attention.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

I like maddux too but Buxton has 26 hits for me on All-Star and 17 of them have been home runs, the guy is absolutely bananas

Okay, so 17 home runs is pretty good I guess, yeah, okay, I guess this is why god invented the DH.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

blossommirage posted:

Okay, so 17 home runs is pretty good I guess, yeah, okay, I guess this is why god invented the DH.

Well I mean we're talking about Buxton he's diamond fielding with 99 speed, I dunno what we're talking about a DH for haha

Well not just diamond fielding I think he's like 99 fielding 88 arm strength 86 arm acc

I guess Mantle might be better I dunno but Buxton is probably better at fielding than someone you currently have in the OF for sure

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 18, 2024

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Well I mean we're talking about Buxton he's diamond fielding with 99 speed, I dunno what we're talking about a DH for haha

Well not just diamond fielding I think he's like 99 fielding 88 arm strength 86 arm acc

I guess Mantle might be better I dunno but Buxton is probably better at fielding than someone you currently have in the OF for sure

Probably definitely yes, holy balls.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I just remembered mine is parallel 3 so subtract 3 from those but I mean he's still baller at pretty much everything but contact, and those fielding/speed numbers are with his captain boost on, idk what they are without them

Oh yeah his clutch is also super rear end so I use him as a leadoff hitter, that's why he's the highest parallel on my team

I realize a leadoff hitter with 60 contact is a little suspect but I also figure like no matter who comes and goes he's my captain I'm using so he's going to stay in the team so getting him the most exp makes some sense

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 18, 2024

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
I've run the Mantle card in every lineup since I got him in my initial packs and he sucks entire rear end. The worst player on my team.

This team I just dominating with tall boys. Woods, Stanton, Sexson, etc. Dunno why. Usually struggle but I've abandoned the bottom half of the zone since pitchers have no control.

Some redditers said and other repeated that the walks are because of a bug leading to pitchers always having late releases, but I've not seen that confirmed and if they're getting that from the in game indicator, it's said that for years and never meant anything. It would explain some of the nonsense though

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

have fun with the buxton while you can, because they mentioned in some of the pre-release stream stuff that they're going to be monitoring the seasonal captain cards

so there's a non-zero chance they nerf him

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TheFlyingLlama posted:

have fun with the buxton while you can, because they mentioned in some of the pre-release stream stuff that they're going to be monitoring the seasonal captain cards

so there's a non-zero chance they nerf him

Well whatever I can always swap him if I want to, there might be a point where I get cards that are better than my team after being boosted by him but with his captain boost I have everyone at like a 91-92 overall which is pretty good for 2 days in, but if I got a bunch of 94-95 overall cards that don't get improved by him then I could use another captain or not use one

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Yeah with the captain swaps I hope their goal is relevancy so they buff accordingly. Since you can swap at whim, especially.

Also I played one game with my new Buxton lineup and Trout and lol everyone bombs everything with the bonus power

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I just noticed that the 99 Babe Ruth in the live collection is a starting pitcher, that's cute.

Still has all 125s in hitting and stuff

It's too bad there's automatic DHs now, definitely downgrades the relevancy of guys like him and Ohtani

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

I hated prepping the pitching swap so I never really want to go back to how it went.

Fun thing is that in obvious stealing situations with fast players (Trout and Buxton) the pitcher will throw over as they always had, but I've yet to see them throw over twice with just one step lead.

Trout's Stealing isn't great so I wouldn't extend his lead much out of fear he gets picked off, but after one attempt you can just step and send him and he basically gets to the bag before the Catcher pops.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I see what you guys mean about pinpoint, it seems like only certain pitchers it's bugged with where you just absolutely cannot do the timing right no matter what, and Raisel Iglesias and Jose Leclerc both seem like it happens to them but before I used these guys it barely ever happened to me

They gotta patch this I imagine, it's pretty jacked up haha, like I'm good at pinpoint and I can tell something is just wrong sometimes where it just registers everything as being bad

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Stefan Prodan posted:

I see what you guys mean about pinpoint, it seems like only certain pitchers it's bugged with where you just absolutely cannot do the timing right no matter what, and Raisel Iglesias and Jose Leclerc both seem like it happens to them but before I used these guys it barely ever happened to me

They gotta patch this I imagine, it's pretty jacked up haha, like I'm good at pinpoint and I can tell something is just wrong sometimes where it just registers everything as being bad

Thank God.

I’ll learn pinpoint when it works. In the meantime, pulse is an adventure. But everyone is throwing a bunch of bad pitches, so I’m just being patient.

With the floodgates opening, I hope multiplayer has a lot less absolute goons playing. If I put up seven runs in BR, I don’t like losing to TEN solo shots across SIX pitchers.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
To be more specific the bug only seems to be with fastballs in my experience, their other pitches seem ok

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

iirc pinpoint has been hosed in various controllers/platforms since at least 2021 and SDS is content to just pump out the same game every year so I wouldn't hold your breath

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I guess, it just seems much more hosed in a much more obvious way at the moment, but I guess I could try analog for a bit

Weirdly, now I'm getting a thing where all my cursors are just super laggy, pitching and hitting. had to stop playing for the day, no idea what's going on with that, made it unplayable

Was doing it in both multi and single player, just really choppy cursor movement that made it impossible to do anything

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

As a super casual, I appreciated all of the assist options that were added to The Show 23, but those look to have been removed this year.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I didn't play much last year but seems like they turned up the in game team effects this year? hearing the stadium cheer MVP at acuña when he was up to bat was cool in road to october

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

I said come in! posted:

As a super casual, I appreciated all of the assist options that were added to The Show 23, but those look to have been removed this year.

I appreciate a lot of the details like this that the game adds. When Bryce Harper is at bat on the road, sometimes the crowd chants "overrated!". I like the planes flying overhead at Mets stadium too.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I beat a stronghold on conquest twice and it didn't register so thats cool. I googled that issue and the first result was from 6 years ago and the only advice was to wait(?) lol.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I ended up trading Maddux in for Buxton. My entire team hits way better, I easily beat most of the team affinity conquests with only Padres and Astros to go, and I packed Trout. Who has under 60 vision. All hail Lord Buxton.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I almost feel like Buxton himself is bugged or something cause I swear the guy does not hit less than like 105, it's like someone gave him outlier on his exit velocity

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

blossommirage posted:

I ended up trading Maddux in for Buxton. My entire team hits way better, I easily beat most of the team affinity conquests with only Padres and Astros to go, and I packed Trout. Who has under 60 vision. All hail Lord Buxton.

Yes Trout is insane with the boosts. Power to both hands, good contact, high stealing and 99 speed.

I also briefly boosted Gold JD Martinez, which gives him a little speed on the bases and makes him a high diamond power hitter in your DH spot basically.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The only way to get team captains rn is from packs and then you can't sell those cards? Pretty wack. Any other way to get them?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
XP reward path gives you at least one batter and pitching captain, maybe more

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Is Nolan Ryan good in this game? I've never used his cards, and locking in Trout is scary. But a 90 overall pitcher....

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Seltzer posted:

The only way to get team captains rn is from packs and then you can't sell those cards? Pretty wack. Any other way to get them?

They scream throw in packs for like every little event or other program for the season. Last year the Captain packs had weird market behaviors so maybe this adjusts to that.

Or maybe they'll go away and never return, like those captain cards.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
There's a bug where if you grind RTTS with the Bronze "Speedy Sparkplug" style, it will get you points in every archetype instead.

In about 90 mins you can get 19 perks, 19 dyamic perks, 19 batting perks, 19 pitching perks, and 19 equipment packs, all diamond, which is worth...well, it's worth like 100k now because the market completely crashed and every one of those things is worth the 1000 sell now value

You also get a bunch of golds worth 100, unlockables worth 500, and straight up stubs adding up to like 50k? 60k?

Anyway it's worth doing if you have 90 mins to watch a movie, just set it to beginner and hit homeruns for awhile and do the dynamic challenges that give you program stars

Do NOT switch off of the bronze "speedy sparkplug" style until you get the diamond equipment packs (pick contact to start to get access to this)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Does anyone play the season or franchise modes with the normal rosters or do most people play online with the packs, RttS and such?

Because I've been playing 2022 solo and having great fun for a while now. I did a Phillies season and lost in the playoffs and am now doing a second one with all the legends added to each of their teams which is awesome. My Phillies team has several 2022 players but also Mike Schmidt, Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins, Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels. Having the other legendary players on the teams they're known for helps with the balance and, best of all, after almost two seasons worth of games, I'm STILL getting better and learning new poo poo. It's also helped me gently caress with the sliders and options to where I have it just about right.

There's a lot of depth here that all great games have; easy to learn/difficult to master. I just wish it had a create a team option where you can make your own uniforms and poo poo.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

blossommirage posted:

Is Nolan Ryan good in this game? I've never used his cards, and locking in Trout is scary. But a 90 overall pitcher....

He's pretty hard to control if you're not great at pitching, but he sure throws fast. He's annoying to face but not unbeatable like Randy Johnson from a few years back.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Does anyone play the season or franchise modes with the normal rosters or do most people play online with the packs, RttS and such?

I play exclusively franchise with real world rosters and teams. Its fun to be able to pretend Seattle is a good team.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

blossommirage posted:

Most players 600 rated and lower will have a hard time with him. It's either strikeout, or home run.

Don't throw his sinker. Just go fastball and off speed. Also, there isn't really aiming with a 99 Ryan. I cannot imagine his 90 would be better.

I warm up on Nolan Ryan everyday, just hitting fastballs from him on the corners. He's a bastard.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I've been considering picking up The Show 24; but have no interest in the story modes or online play. Is the franchise mode worth the pickup of the game? My gut says yes based on all the reviews I've seen, but without a demo, I figured I'd ask for thoughts before I spend the coin

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Walked posted:

I've been considering picking up The Show 24; but have no interest in the story modes or online play. Is the franchise mode worth the pickup of the game? My gut says yes based on all the reviews I've seen, but without a demo, I figured I'd ask for thoughts before I spend the coin

Do you have PS+? They have a demo for 23. Gameplay wise it’s 99% the same game to give you an idea if it’s for you.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Walked posted:

I love it. It's all I play. You'll likely need to experiment with the sliders to get the gameplay you want. I picked up a previous version for dirt cheap and tweaked the rosters to get them mostly updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
They almost fixed conquest mode so it isn't a complete sleepwalk. Now instead of simming everything and annihilating the AI strongholds, there's one or two AIs per map that actually play the game and try to win. One skipped turn late-game trivializes it though.