Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Stefan Prodan posted:

lol how the gently caress, did you get a catch then throw two people out who couldn't get back fast enough?

Runner on 3rd that he tried to sneak home on a 4-6-3, I got him by the skin of my teeth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I miss 84 dee gordon. Got him to p5 last year. Dude would hit dinks right over the 3rd or 1st basemans head like clock work. Then ofc great speed an base stealing. Are there any cards like that atm, super high contact, speed and stealing, but low power?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Seltzer posted:

I miss 84 dee gordon. Got him to p5 last year. Dude would hit dinks right over the 3rd or 1st basemans head like clock work. Then ofc great speed an base stealing. Are there any cards like that atm, super high contact, speed and stealing, but low power?

Corbin Carroll LS. Trea Turner LS. Jordan Lawler Spring Breakout. Alfonso Soriano on the XP path and the 99 20/20/20/20 Jimmy Rollins would be my circled base nonsense players. Think the new McCutchen card tok

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

That's one of my favorite cards too, I have really fond memories of getting him from the dolphins collection in...21? And I would always choose him in BR when I could

He'll definitely be back unless they don't have the rights anymore, since he's a gold I'm 99% sure he will reappear as a BR reward at some point so he'll be pretty easy to get

I would add in if you want a super fast dude there's an Adalberto Mondesi in the batter captains pack who doesn't have the super high contact/low power combo but is a killer on the bases with incredible fielding

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Being stuck in a BR freeze off sure is fun.

I’d say gently caress it, but this match ticks off my 25 hits mission, and a couple others.

The guy of course used the Babe Ruth two-way cheese, then starts messaging me, “I ain’t quitting!”

I’m debating if I’ll give up a night of gaming out of spite.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Tatsuta Age posted:

yeah and let me be a girl in diamond dynasty you hacks

You can put Toni Stone on your team. I've hit two home runs so far with her! If you took her 90 for the pre-order (I think?) she's a very good card.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Grem posted:

You can put Toni Stone on your team. I've hit two home runs so far with her! If you took her 90 for the pre-order (I think?) she's a very good card.

poo poo, I went yard with her 85. Once I'm done with Team Affinity, I might get her 90.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
It's crazy how bad people must be pitching online, I looked at the standings for pennant race where I'm in (around 550 so far in ranked) and people are hitting way better than me, tons of people around .380 to my .300, but their ERA is like 5, 6, 7 and mine's at 2.78 after 15 games. Are people just throwing meatballs all game or what, haha

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

In my experience playing online, Toni Stone gets on base every single time due to hit by pitch. Weird, no idea what's causing all the pitchers to throw directly at only her, but it's working out for me I guess.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Stefan Prodan posted:

It's crazy how bad people must be pitching online, I looked at the standings for pennant race where I'm in (around 550 so far in ranked) and people are hitting way better than me, tons of people around .380 to my .300, but their ERA is like 5, 6, 7 and mine's at 2.78 after 15 games. Are people just throwing meatballs all game or what, haha

What's the best way to check a person's career stats?

Last year, I wrapped up with a sub 3.0 ERA, and most of my P4 and P5 starters were 3.5 and lower. I use pulse pitching, but rarely got shelled. My lack of offense is what held me back. I played most of 23 between 550 and 650 in ranked.

I've only played two ranked games so far, mostly because they're about to release the second half of missions to wrap up the program. I'd rather double-dip those missions, than sink a lot of time without it counting.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

What's the best way to check a person's career stats?

Last year, I wrapped up with a sub 3.0 ERA, and most of my P4 and P5 starters were 3.5 and lower. I use pulse pitching, but rarely got shelled. My lack of offense is what held me back. I played most of 23 between 550 and 650 in ranked.

I've only played two ranked games so far, mostly because they're about to release the second half of missions to wrap up the program. I'd rather double-dip those missions, than sink a lot of time without it counting.

Yeah I went ahead and played a bunch because I figured we're probably going to have to get to at least 200 innings no matter what, and the second half of the missions should finish in under half of that, so I don't think it was a waste but we'll see.

To see people's stats go to standings and just look at players that are near you in the list (same division or whatever)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah I went ahead and played a bunch because I figured we're probably going to have to get to at least 200 innings no matter what, and the second half of the missions should finish in under half of that, so I don't think it was a waste but we'll see.

To see people's stats go to standings and just look at players that are near you in the list (same division or whatever)

For me, I've realized that my hands are only "fresh" for a couple of hours, then it's diminishing returns. I normally struggle to fit in enough time to get in a full ranked game, some events, some BR, then some offline grinding in a gaming session before my reflexes start to fade. Once it gets to about the three hour mark, maaayabe four, I'm toast. My normal gaming allotment per night is about three hours. Yeah, I'm a single guy without kids. But I've also got a little bit of a life.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

For me, I've realized that my hands are only "fresh" for a couple of hours, then it's diminishing returns. I normally struggle to fit in enough time to get in a full ranked game, some events, some BR, then some offline grinding in a gaming session before my reflexes start to fade. Once it gets to about the three hour mark, maaayabe four, I'm toast. My normal gaming allotment per night is about three hours. Yeah, I'm a single guy without kids. But I've also got a little bit of a life.

Yeah I hear ya, I'm bad about no lifing this game for a few weeks when it comes out then burning out on it

I do want to play co-op sometime though if you're down when the next thing drops, it sounds like we play similarly too in terms of strengths

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Yeah I'm about ready to dip into Ranked but I'm so bad at scheduling play with folks. Everything feels like it's on the whim of playing around my kids/family time

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Tatis swing is still really cracked. He has that secret ability too where normal base hits instead of getting magnetized to the outfielders glove split them every time. Shame how much his power and contact dropped off but im still getting a lot of hits and doubles with him wayyyyy above his stats to the point I'm thinking of getting the padres captains to build around him+ the fact that the padres hitting captain (ozzie smith) has Dee Gordon esque stats with high contact and vision + speed, bunting and stealing. I think I know the answer but if you take a padres or pirates captain it'd only make sense to get the same team pitching captain? They each require like a combined 13 players from the same team and theyre arent a tonne of good cards out for each team atm. Kinda wish the team captains boosts were easier to hit last year without doubling up captains.

Also this program is so slow to progress, I wish these captains were easier to come by.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think what they intend for you to do is mix a cornerstone captain and a team captain, that's what I've been doing anyway with Matzek and Buxton

By the way it's not clear in the shop but if you buy a captain pack you choose the captain, it's not random

So you can pay 25k for any captain you want if you don't mind spending a little

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah I think what they intend for you to do is mix a cornerstone captain and a team captain, that's what I've been doing anyway with Matzek and Buxton

By the way it's not clear in the shop but if you buy a captain pack you choose the captain, it's not random

So you can pay 25k for any captain you want if you don't mind spending a little

I've barely got any coins and it feels like I'm getting them way slower than last year. Team captains were super easy to get last year also. Kinda a bummer. Like my team is gonna be gimped online til I get a second captain, Just buxton or senga isnt really cutting it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I pulled Acuna out of a Show Pack.

:stare:

I've also pulled John Donaldson.

It makes up for the three Bobby Witt Jr's.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

this morning's patch broke the poo poo out of the game
people can't play diamond dynasty, moments & showdowns either crash or load in bobbleheads (giant head, tiny everything else)

i saw one guy say they got into a showdown & won by doing nothing because the CPU was incapable of throwing anything but fastballs directly into the dirt

why can't i get that lucky

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

StupidSexyMothman posted:

this morning's patch broke the poo poo out of the game
people can't play diamond dynasty, moments & showdowns either crash or load in bobbleheads (giant head, tiny everything else)

Great way to open up the season lol.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Yesterday I played the Red Sox in conquest. Two of their players had hysterically broken heads. If I captured them, I’ll post it later.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Waldron can eat my dick man he should go away, or at least not be in BR

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Captain Log posted:

Yesterday I played the Red Sox in conquest. Two of their players had hysterically broken heads. If I captured them, I’ll post it later.

It's like John Waters is directing the game

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Man, there were so many people waiting to just get those last few points on the ranked program that Randy and Banks crashed HARD

They were like 43k each last time I looked which seems crazy for Randy especially but I guess the idea is that a 93 is already getting outclassed pretty soon and you're never going to use it past season 1.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Stefan Prodan posted:

Man, there were so many people waiting to just get those last few points on the ranked program that Randy and Banks crashed HARD

They were like 43k each last time I looked which seems crazy for Randy especially but I guess the idea is that a 93 is already getting outclassed pretty soon and you're never going to use it past season 1.

Yeah I was, not 5 minutes ago, doing the math on how much time it'd take to get to 100 and then the prices are so low I could just buy them out if I want.

I'm annoyed that the Egg Hunt forces MP again this year. I was kinda dodging competitive stuff this year but now I need to go boot up at least a few ranked games and Events.

Theyve also severely nerfed the mini seasons grind. Not very clear what an offline player will be doing with extra time between programs this year, since they also didn't bring back a grind conquest.

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 31, 2024

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

In another BR freeze off with a person who didn’t set their lineup and swung at pitches on their eye level.

Of course.

I swear, some of these freezes seem intentional. I’ll normally disconnect after five if I’m losing. But this is silly.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

How do captain boosts work? I have Buxton and when I click left on the lineup it says that I have 11/11 players with < 60 vision so that Tier 3 is active, but I'm in a conquest game and it doesn't appear to have boosted my players? Trout is on 1st right now, for example and he's still at 90 speed.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ihatepants posted:

How do captain boosts work? I have Buxton and when I click left on the lineup it says that I have 11/11 players with < 60 vision so that Tier 3 is active, but I'm in a conquest game and it doesn't appear to have boosted my players? Trout is on 1st right now, for example and he's still at 90 speed.

Did you actually assign him? There's a button that says assign as hitting captain and you have to do that

If it works you should see your captain boosts in the lineup screen when the game is loading in, along with the gray up arrows on the people who are being boosted

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Stefan Prodan posted:

Did you actually assign him? There's a button that says assign as hitting captain and you have to do that

If it works you should see your captain boosts in the lineup screen when the game is loading in, along with the gray up arrows on the people who are being boosted

Thanks, that is exactly what I was missing.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Finally took my first ranked loss, now having a record of 4-1.

Decided to pitch Smoltz from the Egg program. Became convinced he was going to get lit up any moment, despite making it to the sixth without giving up a run. Pulled him, and three different receivers got lit up.

Also had something like three perfect-perfect line-outs.

It feels like there aren't as many packs around to earn. Especially fancy packs. Normally, they'll have some $40k packs hidden around. Right now, there are a bunch of fun card series you must buy if you want them.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Will the game let you DH on the games you pitch in RTTS if you make a two way player? It wouldn't in last years version.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Yeah. I think there's more packs in first run things, like the Ranked Program (which used to have basically nothing the entire way except the key packs). Also in the first of each Mini Seasons, but repeat runs have no XP.

A normal Mini Seasons run, I think, results in about 47 packs over about 26 15 minute games (and three Ballin packs). No XP or raw stubs. I think they're both worth doing one time for rewards (huge bonus non-repeatable rewards).

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Getting 100 jellybeans (what a weird thing to say about a game) for a Vault pack, I think it is, seems like a good deal but I'd be pissed if I ran through easy packs in Conquest already

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Grem posted:

Getting 100 jellybeans (what a weird thing to say about a game) for a Vault pack, I think it is, seems like a good deal but I'd be pissed if I ran through easy packs in Conquest already

Oh I mostly did. I've done all offline content except 5 more games of TA Mini Season. That said, jellybeans are like a...33%? Drop rate from packs. I've got the egg and 25 right now

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Captain Log posted:

It feels like there aren't as many packs around to earn. Especially fancy packs. Normally, they'll have some $40k packs hidden around. Right now, there are a bunch of fun card series you must buy if you want them.

The progression is trash this year. Beaten a bunch of conquest maps and showdowns, played a bit online and im only 110k xp into the program an have 9k coins (and ive only bought two sub 20k diamonds and a few golds thus far). The rewards path and the games arent giving good cards *or* coins so its like I'm playing and playing but theres 0 option to make my team better/how I like it. I'm playing the same amount I did last year and I had a bunch of good players and about 60k coins at this point in 23. It's making me want to play much less because it's kinda required to have a pitching and hitting captain if you want to go online and that's really far off for me. For the record the power curve was poo poo last year and they shouldnt have handed out 99s too easy but the fact I can't get captains in any reasonable way/time frame or have enough coins to pick up a handful of good but not great players yet is really wack.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 1, 2024

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Kinda feel the same.

The xp cap sucks rear end, I get "go outside" but I've been busier than normal during the last few weeks. Sat down Sunday to just play baseball and hit the xp cap pretty quickly. Doesn't seem like anyone doing the same is going to reach the end of the season 1 program.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Yeah the XP cap should roll over and create a buffer, but clearly that's not tech they have in place.

Fwiw I've done all the conquests and about all of the mini seasons, all moments, 2 Event games for my egg, 1 ranked blowout for my egg, and I'm sitting at just under 200k and a pretty good team. Only card I've bought is the Rendon event card. Holding off from spending until I keep packing cards. Disclosure is that I bought the deluxe upgrade at launch so I had a decent pack head start and a few bonuses there.

But I've been very lucky this year. Ultimately I'm going to finish this Mini Season tonight and then play something else until they drop another program and try not to burn myself out before All Star break again. In the past I would grind Events/Ranked/Mini Seasons to earn stubs but I'm thinking that will just end with me playing and lot and quitting and not completing my sets anyways.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Man, I hosed up the playoff game selection in my All Star Phillies franchise and wound up getting bounced because I accidentally simmed 2 games in a best of 5. :(

Firing up another season only this time I went through all the legends I had and put them on their respective teams (Cal Ripken, Ken Griffey Jr, Tom Glavine, Ozzie Smith, Mariano Rivera, etc.) so now my default rosters are kinds of wild and I'm curious to see how I do. Hopefully, it will shake up the playoff brackets since the CPU always sims the same teams into the postseason.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Beat what I pray was a bot or toddler 43-0 in ranked yesterday.

I’ll admit, going from thirty to seventy-three stars in one game was loving nice. Ranked, with my pitching staff, is stressful. At least I’m in All Star now, where pitchers throwing below 103 can get some strikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

Beat what I pray was a bot or toddler 43-0 in ranked yesterday.

I’ll admit, going from thirty to seventy-three stars in one game was loving nice. Ranked, with my pitching staff, is stressful. At least I’m in All Star now, where pitchers throwing below 103 can get some strikes.

lol wait so you must have scored uhh at least 34 runs in one inning to not have mercied them earlier??