Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The year is 2020. Almost every sporting event worldwide has been cancelled or postponed. In this period of despair, I submit to you a chance to escape from the reality of the situation for two hours a week and shitpost while watching a movie with fellow sports-loving goons. Obviously, I call it...

:frogsiren: Movie Night in Sports Argument Sanctum :frogsiren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxlEqO_MA04
(:rip: Neil)

Inspired by the CBC's programming during the NHL lockout of 04-05, MNiSAS is a Bring Your Own Movie simul-watch. A movie that is readily available to stream or rent digitally is chosen, and at 6PM EDT on Sundays (starting March 22nd) you hit play, and post while watching the movie. Think of it as a GDT while there are no Gs to watch!

As the OP, I've made my choice for the first film: Beyond the Mat (1999).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfBnF484Qc0

The documentary follows life for professional wrestlers Terry Funk, Mick "Mankind" Foley, and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, among others during the heyday of the Attitude Era, when professional wrestling was at its most popular. It was the movie that launched countless wrestling internet memes, most notably Dennis Stamp's inability to get booked for a match. Despite all this, I've never seen it, so I'll be going in mostly blind.

If there's enough interest, I'll make a GDT on movie day and use this thread for comments and suggestions for movies to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

this is a genuinely great idea

As hockey movies go, "Slap Shot" and "Goon" are pretty widely available and would be good for a group watch.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
NBA Thread Requests:

Slam Dunk Ernest
White Men Can't Jump
The Air Up There

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Hooray, my thread is working! The Air Up There isn't available anywhere online, unfortunately. At least, not legally.

e: Apparently, I have been lied to!

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 17, 2020

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
This idea is cool and good and I have nothing better to do than participate.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If HBO is a wide-enough option, Hoop Dreams is on the table for movie night.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

DMCrimson posted:

If HBO is a wide-enough option, Hoop Dreams is on the table for movie night.

It's probably more wide than Starz, which currently has the rights to Slap Shot.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Week 1 GDT is up.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Eight Men Out is available for free on Tubi until the end of the month, suggesting that for next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, that could have gone better. Next week - Goon or Slam Dunk Ernest?