Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hello, confirming presign.

Also confirming I will hand out 6 hour probations to anyone who votes me off D1.
(I'm one of the new IKs of Games)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My wrath will be Swift and terrible

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My scum tell is that I prefer Googledocs to Discord

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Confirming that you will do as I say, or face a 6er

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

V rude tbh

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I've never played FF8, but it exists in this weird spot where I tried to play it directly after FF7 and went "eww cards"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Scumspicious implying what character you got just hours after the game has opened.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'll attack the individual and not the argument.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Do you believe in the Heart of the Cards? Or the 8th rule of Fight Club?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Who we turboin?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Why would you want to mention your role restriction D1 scumbo?

Sowin the groundwork for later claims?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh we're in serious chat? Boo get back to joke phase

I believe this is Debt's first mafia game, so as mentioned before in prev games I have a personal policy of not voting newbies D1 (unless they do something super obviously scummy)

re:Gaming the system. I am 100% for it, with my only preference being we should start this from Day 2-3 onwards so people have the opportunity to do what the want the first night. Will agree to do whatever the group consensus is though

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Further to this, based off reading my role PM, I believe players will have certain preferences on actions taken and having such an open discussion D1 (Again. I think it's fine from D2-3 onwards) only benefits scum in trying to figure out town roles.

I believe town should be open in what they are revealing, but only when their is useful/actionable info to reveal

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I was, I try to not be as much of a bombastic oval office these days.

We used gamification of the system to great effect in El Dorado from memory, where we openly revealed night actions and basically found DOOM SQUAD ASSEMBLE fairly easily, and having an almost complete town shut out victory.

Then someone got super lucky finding the game ending doodad in the desert and that was that.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Is it cause you're scum Jen X?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Amnistar posted:

##vote Infinitum

1.) "Waaaah joke phase!"
2.) "That is scummy, but I'm going to excuse it."
3.) Game Mechanics discussion

I'm good with this vote.

1.) lol
2.) I never said anything about scummy, so also lol
3.) Game mechanics discussion is cool and good.

Like if you want to get voted Amni I'm happy to do so

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No response to a wafer thin point?

##vote Amni

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How is it an OMGUS if I respond to his non-points, wait for a response, don't get one, and then vote them?

It'd be an OMGUS if I was voting him just for the sake of him voting me, I'm voting him cause he had a lovely argument, has somehow made a mountain out of a mole hill, and lied about what I said (re:point 2)

Lot of specious reasoning ITT

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Like Sandwolf and Squiggly just rocketed up my scumspects list for later review

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

'Holds water' aka incorrectly using the term OMGUS

Sandwolf posted:

Specially squig & I “rocketing up his scumspects” list because of it

Everybody is on the list atm, I've just out you 3 on top.

Don't misrepresent this either, I still need to make a case against someone on my list, but it just means I'll be watching you guys with a keener eye than others atm

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

xopods posted:

He'd be my preferred lynch among the people with multiple votes on them, for two reasons:

(1) Early on, expressed suspicion of two different people for alluding to their PMs (flavor identity in one case, night power in the next) only to do the same thing himself, needlessly, when we were talking about night encounter strategy, and,

I fail to see how me offering a differing opinion on gamification of night actions is a reason to have me as your preferred lynch; when I am agreeing with you in concept and trying to reach a consensus on how we should go about that.
I am merely stating that we should let the chips fall where they may N1 to avoid having people coming forward to say "I won't do [Suggested Night Action X] tonight, because I might be able to [Implied Action Y]"

This gives too much info away to scum N1 and I would prefer people be given enough rope to hang themselves with if they can be caught naturally in night action mafia results

At the same time you going "Hey town do this, it's the ~Perfect Plan~" and everyone going "Yeah!" "Great!" "Let's do it!" gives scum a fantastic opportunity to blend into the crowd by showing how 'helpful' they can be during the night.

As stated my personal preference is to start gamifying night results from D2-3 onwards, as there is a secondary source of information we can then utilise to scum hunt.
Again I am agreeing with you on principal, I am disagreeing with how we go about obtaining the results.

quote:

(2) His response when chaoslord pointed out that he seems different than usual. I don't know Infi's meta personally, but if slord's description of it is accurate, then he is indeed making efforts to avoid ruffling feathers. And seemed self-conscious when that was pointed out.

I was a bit of an obnoxious poo poo in a lot of games a few years back. I have been working on not being as much of a poo poo.

I also try to vary my meta by now participating in many games (Primarily due to time constraints that I was not under previously)

To put it another way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQO1qZD5lek

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Amnistar posted:

It's not the greatest case, but it's a solid place to start day 1.

Ah...yea...I am definately happy now with my vote.

I'll get to your first comment in a moment, but as for your second here's the OMGUS entry so you can read up on what it actually is.

I'm not voting you in retaliation, I am voting you because your reasoning doesn't hold water and you misrepresented what I wrote and attempted to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Now that I'm not on mobile at work I'll properly respond to your post.

Amnistar posted:

##vote Infinitum

1.) "Waaaah joke phase!"
2.) "That is scummy, but I'm going to excuse it."
3.) Game Mechanics discussion

I'm good with this vote.

1.) I always like joke phase. If we are talking meta, I have a history of being bummed when joke phase ends. So you first point is a nothing arguement
2.) You've misrespresented what I stated, and I would like you to show me where I said "I am going to excuse scummy behaviour". What I actually said was if Debt showed blatantly obvious signs of being scum I WOULD vote them D1. Again if you are talking meta, I have a history of pointing out my personal policy of not voting off new players D1 as I don't want to scare them off playing more rounds. You lied about what I said.
3.) I'm sorry that you think discussion on how best to game the system to towns benefit is scummy behaviour

I would very much like you to explain you reasoning, as I gave you adequate time to do so the first time (Though I do admit I didn't request it the first time)

AGAIN you lied and misrepresented my posts which is why you were voted. It was not an OMGUS vote, and your points don't even hold water.
Calling your case 'a solid place to start for D1' is laughable, though it did draw some interesting responses

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If nothing else I would like you to explain Point 2 to me, and why you misrepresented what I wrote.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Going to bed as it's nearly 11:30pm in the merry old land of Aus.

I will be at work tomorrow and can post and respond during my lunch break, and I believe deadline is 30min before I finish for the day; so I should be available to help with deadline.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Currently happy with where my vote is.

Again don't like Squiggly and Sandwolf's bandwagon votes, particularly as they feel like bandwagon votes and less "I actually read what Amnistar wrote and cross referenced what he said"

As I said they're high on my scumspects list currently.

If forced on the issue I have no personal preference on either for a vote, but I def am keeping a very close eye on how they respond to this current line of discussion and how they are posting in general as the game proceeds; happy to make cases for them later.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Squiggly posted:

Bro you literally stated you excuse newbies.

What I actually said was that I give newbies a pass Day 1 as personal preference; which is something I like to do to encourage growth in the mafia community as it's not fun getting killed off D1 when you're trying to learn the ropes (There is a longer discussion here about board games and taking the L so newbies get excited about playing more that I am happy to have after the game)

If the town consensus is "lynch this dude", then I am happy to do so.
If they do something obviously scummy/scumslip, then of course I am happy to vote for them.

Newbies make mistakes. From D2 onwards I treat them as a normal player, and would case them like I would anyone else; everyone is scum until I can form valid opinions on players one way or another. This is how I've always played and helps me with scumhunting.

I'm not sure how this is a difficult concept.

Squiggly posted:

What. There was like zero pressure and you straight up OMGUS him

Please see above. It's not an OMGUS, and you're incorrectly using the term.

---------------
Ninja edit: Urghhhhh Amnistar responded... let me sleeeeeeep
---------------

Amnistar posted:

1) Liking Joke phase isn't an issue. Bitching about it being over is scum behavior. Don't sign up to play mafia if you're gonna get made when we're done joking around and play mafia. People pushing for joke phase to continue after it has been finished are helping the scum team.
2.) You said you wouldn't vote someeone because they were new. By itself I don't have a problem with the stance, and agree with it, but that was your sole contribution to scum hunting at that point. To excuse a newbie player. That's also helping the scum team.
3.) Again, you're not scum hunting, you're talking about game mechanics after everyone got it out of there system and moved away from it.

All together the post I quoted was you pulling the thread away from playing mafia and into mechanics or joke phase. That is why I voted you.

I am happy with my vote because you then vote me, without provding "adequate time" for a response . You waited 30 minutes, and dropped a vote on me. You clearly wanted to vote me, and didn't actually care what my response was.

1.) :psyduck: I made a joke about joke phase ending, and then didn't carry on about it past that. It's OK to point out that Joke Phase has ended and we're onto actual discussion. If I had carried on an decried the end of joke phase maybe you would have an actual point to make.
2.) I feel I've answered this more succinctly above, and that your initial point was a misrepresentative. You're lying when you say that I would excuse them, when I stated that I'm happy to vote them D1 if they ARE being scummy. You're doing some fantastic linguistic gymnastics in an attempt to twist my words to suit your narrative.
3.) You stating what my contributions to the game thus far, after joke phase had just ended and I was pointing out my intentions, is ironic; as your sole contribution to the game up until that point was "Thunderdome me". Further to this I have stated that gamifying the system is an excellent way to find scum, and ADDED to the discussion by offering suggestions about how we might go about it best and showing an example where it worked well.

1+3 are flippant and I can easily dismiss your points because there is literally nothing behind them.
2 is sticking out to me in particular.

-------------------------
Legit have to go to bed now, as it's almost midnight. Will try to respond before I head to work tomorrow morning.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

tl;dr look at Aminstars post history where he calls me out for mechanics discussion after initially doing the exact same thing.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum posted:

3.) You stating what my contributions to the game thus far, after joke phase had just ended and I was pointing out my intentions, is ironic; as your sole contribution to the game up until that point was "Thunderdome me".

Quote edit. Now I'm misrepresenting the facts, apologies.

Amnistars contributions were:
- Requesting thunderdoming
- Mechanics discussion, and then calling me out for mechanics discussion.

zzz for realsies.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

On phone grabbing lunch

chaoslord posted:

##vote inf this is a bad sequence. Inf gives Amni 35 minutes before declaring that they must be ducking a response and throwing a vote down. I was suspicious of Inf for being so against their meta and this pretty clear OMGUS tells me I'm right. Thirty-five minutes is not *actually* waiting for a response, this is a fake justification.

I feel like I've responded to this adequately in my larger posts before I went to bed last night, and this is really cherry picking at this point.

---------

Glad others have weighed in on the RF vote. I wanted to respond to it this morning when I woke up, but it definitely felt this was the most bandwagony and lazy of the votes on myself this far

My current preference on D1 voting would be:
- Amni for lying (I literally don't know why this is getting a free pass as we should Lynch All Liars)
- RF for a super lazy me-to vote that feels off
- Squiggly or Sandwolf. Though I currently have no pref on one or the other arm and would like to case them more

-------

I don't have much time to post outside of my lunch break, I will try to sneak in a response post if needed.

Will be around for dead line regardless.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Retro Futurist posted:

This is one of the dumber kills on me but sure go for it. Be wary of people who try to control the night phase, that's all I ask

Any chance you could claim at this point?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Retro Futurist posted:

I don't agree with claiming to save yourself. If you let me live because of it I just become a giant target for scum. Also you people made this bed you can sleep in it :colbert:

..sure, except claiming around the -2 mark is generally standard operating procedure

##vote RF

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Grandicap posted:

9's to execute, we are still 3 short.

Sorry phone posting. I thought it was 7

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

MY INEVITABLE DEBT posted:

i honestly have no idea how any of you are picking any of these votes. no one seems especially scummy to me but RF seems less interested in his impending death than he should be

You should post more.

It appears there's a cut-off rule for posts, and you could be either free-lynchable shortly or modkilled.

:justpost:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

post more eh? need some information? from my posts? i see your game

well im convinced ##vote infinitum

This is a loving terrible set of posts.

I'm literally trying to help you not become free-lynchable or modkilled in your first game of Mafia

You know where I advocated at length against voting for newbie players unless they do something incredibly scummy (Protip this was incredibly scummy)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Toalpaz posted:

have you read the case?

Have you read my response where I showed it was a laughable case that misrepresented what I had stated?

What are your thoughts on the case? You're shifting the discussion onto someone else instead of engaging with the discussion

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Always thought it was because lynch autocorrects to lunch

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

At work.

I was unable to take action last night.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

what like you forgot?

As in my action was blocked

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

xopods posted:

I realize this is a very flavor-light game, but was there anything in what you received to suggest these were specifically scummy effects? Otherwise I'm not sure this tells us much, since Roleblocker's not associated with any particular alignment... "spell thief" seems superficially scummy, but since Scum have no incentive to attack, we'd expect them to draw a lot, so theoretically that could be a Town power too.

To paraphrase, an unknown force prevented my action from happening.

It reads alignment neutral.

DEBT as an FYI you should never post mod communication word for word. It's verboten

but more interesting to me is that amni/infi both say this happened to them and they both started votes for eachother and were very thorough in saying the other person was scum.

Phone posting atm, but I need to have a proper reread of D1 votes and interactions re:Amni vs Inf

I'm not going to throw shade at anyone for the moment. I still hold that I verrrry much don't like Amni's initial callout post for being specious.

Will likely case properly tomorrow, as I'm going to have a billion loving gangtags to queue tonight for the AC thread, and then AC to play :negative:
(Does anyone ITT want a Raccoon Goon gangtag?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Grandicap posted:

I feel like active roles are likely scum and town have to draw their active roles. But this is a little bit of a logic leap.

This feels rolefishy though.