Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
You know what they say, that's the way the salacious b crumbles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I just realized that the Cardassians probably love reruns of Columbo because it's exactly the same as their own murder mysteries: the whole point is finding out who is guilty of what.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Plain, simple, in need of a tailor

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I just realized that the Cardassians probably love reruns of Columbo because it's exactly the same as their own murder mysteries: the whole point is finding out who is guilty of what.

Actually happened IRL, Columbo got super popular in Japan because they already had a popular genre of detective stories where you see the crime at the start and find out how the detective solves it.

And I can see how that kinda story would work, IMO, once you know what to look for; I imagine the whole point is picking up on hints, foreshadowing and misdirection.

Also their other signature genre being the Repetitive Epic is a bit lol looking at so much human entertainment; people spend their lives doing great deeds in service to their society, and then the next generation comes along and does it all again.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
every story about aliens is about humans

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Cease to Hope posted:

bwaaa

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cease to Hope posted:

Next you'll tell us that Space War 2, with the Allied Planetary Alliance fighting the evil Hitlor, reminds you of something

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Next you'll tell us that Space War 2, with the Allied Planetary Alliance fighting the evil Hitlor, reminds you of something

Yea, reminds me of a gatcha game.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
also admiral leyton killed a guy with a land mine but got caught by columbo

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually happened IRL, Columbo got super popular in Japan because they already had a popular genre of detective stories where you see the crime at the start and find out how the detective solves it.

And I can see how that kinda story would work, IMO, once you know what to look for; I imagine the whole point is picking up on hints, foreshadowing and misdirection.

Also their other signature genre being the Repetitive Epic is a bit lol looking at so much human entertainment; people spend their lives doing great deeds in service to their society, and then the next generation comes along and does it all again.

Columbo was also really big in Romania, to the point that when there was a shortage of Columbo episodes, people assumed that the Romanian government was refusing to import them, and that contributed to unrest. The US state department got Peter Falk to record a message of peace to the Romanian people.

https://twitter.com/JFrankensteiner/status/1403200640436801536

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Columbo had a robot right? Columbo thread!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cQQbEUVo4Y

Although I think Columbo normally tried to stay very grounded, and just on the cutting edge of what was possible at the time, but I guess there were a few things that tried to convince the public that a robot on that level would be feasible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuyTRbj8QSA

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I only post in a couple of threads here, so let me check- is there a thread for finding books we only remember some details from? I posted on r/whatsthatbook, with no luck. Trying to find a book I read 10-15 years ago.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I don't think so. What do you remember about this book? My interest is piqued.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

GD_American posted:

I only post in a couple of threads here, so let me check- is there a thread for finding books we only remember some details from? I posted on r/whatsthatbook, with no luck. Trying to find a book I read 10-15 years ago.

There's one in The Book Barn. Sf/f tends to be the majority of its traffic.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

woah woah woah, let's not go directing the precious spice of new thread activity off-board. let's sit here and huff it, see if our eyes go blue.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yah what the heck lemniscate blue. SFWF has just such a thread we just need to post it

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Lemniscate Blue posted:

There's one in The Book Barn. Sf/f tends to be the majority of its traffic.

I'll try the thread, but I'm happy to indulge here as well:

British sci-fi novel

Set on a microplanet, like extremely small (maybe 50km diameter)? with its own atmosphere, because of some neutron star remnant at its core (or something on that order)

Settled only by a Hispanic (Portugese?) family.

Humor is somewhat Douglas Adams-ish but toned down, although the plot ends up being fairly absurd. Somewhat episodic

Overall world setup is that humanity had a war with AI, won, and banned any kind of AI, it's thought that they're still out there (a la the Battlestar Galactica reboot) rebuilding and looking for vengeance, and it turns out they're right

Leader of humanity who won the war is just named The Dictator and was overthrown and is missing

There's one crazy old man also on the planet that the family has occasional dealings with, and it turns out he's The Dictator

Earth just one day plops some huge cube there that turns out to be a prison for a psychotic, impossibly powerful psyker named Father Christmas (or something similar).

The family puts some personality module supposed to mimic Helen of Troy in a combat bot they salvaged, and that ends up being a main character and humanity's salvation when the angry AI people (I think they were called Makers?) came back

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

josh04 posted:

woah woah woah, let's not go directing the precious spice of new thread activity off-board. let's sit here and huff it, see if our eyes go blue.

Sally posted:

yah what the heck lemniscate blue. SFWF has just such a thread we just need to post it

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

GD_American posted:

I'll try the thread, but I'm happy to indulge here as well:

British sci-fi novel

Set on a microplanet, like extremely small (maybe 50km diameter)? with its own atmosphere, because of some neutron star remnant at its core (or something on that order)

Settled only by a Hispanic (Portugese?) family.

Humor is somewhat Douglas Adams-ish but toned down, although the plot ends up being fairly absurd. Somewhat episodic

Overall world setup is that humanity had a war with AI, won, and banned any kind of AI, it's thought that they're still out there (a la the Battlestar Galactica reboot) rebuilding and looking for vengeance, and it turns out they're right

Leader of humanity who won the war is just named The Dictator and was overthrown and is missing

There's one crazy old man also on the planet that the family has occasional dealings with, and it turns out he's The Dictator

Earth just one day plops some huge cube there that turns out to be a prison for a psychotic, impossibly powerful psyker named Father Christmas (or something similar).

The family puts some personality module supposed to mimic Helen of Troy in a combat bot they salvaged, and that ends up being a main character and humanity's salvation when the angry AI people (I think they were called Makers?) came back

This is a total shot in the dark but could it be Vermin Rising? The planet size seems to check out https://www.amazon.com/Vermin-Rising-Gordons-Lamp-8/dp/1548710504

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

No, by that synopsis on Amazon I can tell it isn't. The title was something like Small World or Tiny Planet or some variation on that, but I couldn't find anything googling.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Sup sfwf homies, after three long years I have a new video essay out in an hour or so, about Noah (2014) and Prometheus (2012) and all that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGbRQ6MOQWM

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Found it. Started plowing through my entire Kindle ordering history. God bless our tech overlords and their infinite thirst for our data.

It's "Smallworld" by Dominic Green.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GNFMLO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Here's another dimly remember book - probably written before the mid 80s.

People were in a future prison and had chips implanted in them to monitor location and heart rate. A man and a woman plot their escape by removing their chips and inserting them into a couple of rabbits.

I consumed so many books as a young kid and most are barely even memories anymore :(

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
are you sure this was a book and not half of a season of Archer

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

If we're on "barely remembered book titles" I got one that i've never been able to suss out.

Sometime in the future people have invented robot brains, but every attempt at downloading human consciences into one has failed.

One day one of the kids (I think) of the researchers involved turns on a robot with a non-downloaded brain, and it's basically a giant baby. And sleeps a bunch. This clues the researches into the fact that the human downloads still need sleep, at least at first, and that's why they're losing the people on download.

The robot continues to grow up as a child, and eventually rebels for reasons I don't remember. And runs away from home. His "brother", the kid who turned him on, eventually finds him on a planet that's entirely an ocean. He's got a building floating on the ocean and doing his own research on the planet, and keeping rabbits. His brother keeps trying to convince him to come home, and he refuses, and his brother leaves. The robot guy throws rabbit poop into the ocean, which triggers some kind of biological process and turns the ocean into a giant brain.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Posted a new feedback thread, for if anyone has any new feedback: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4037600

Also new rules, but they're pretty similar to the old rules: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4037599

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

CainFortea posted:

If we're on "barely remembered book titles" I got one that i've never been able to suss out.

Sometime in the future people have invented robot brains, but every attempt at downloading human consciences into one has failed.

One day one of the kids (I think) of the researchers involved turns on a robot with a non-downloaded brain, and it's basically a giant baby. And sleeps a bunch. This clues the researches into the fact that the human downloads still need sleep, at least at first, and that's why they're losing the people on download.

The robot continues to grow up as a child, and eventually rebels for reasons I don't remember. And runs away from home. His "brother", the kid who turned him on, eventually finds him on a planet that's entirely an ocean. He's got a building floating on the ocean and doing his own research on the planet, and keeping rabbits. His brother keeps trying to convince him to come home, and he refuses, and his brother leaves. The robot guy throws rabbit poop into the ocean, which triggers some kind of biological process and turns the ocean into a giant brain.

At first I thought it was one of the stories in "I, Robot" but the last paragraph doesn't match anything I remember.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Finally started Consider Phlebas today, liking it so far. Then I made the mistake of googling the main character, just wanted to see how others were imagining the character, but before I can even click to images the first sentence on Google is a major spoiler for the character. My own drat fault for looking but I didn't expect Google to just plop a spoiler right on top.

On the bright side I suppose I can look for little hints along the way.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

lol, I looked and assuming we saw the same thing I would say that is deeply misleading. If you want to be doubly spoiled: A mind names itself after him.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha I finished the book today and yeah that was a huge mislead. It worked out in the end because I was really surprised by the events, thinking it would go another way.

Cool book, kind of interesting in that I kind of never liked the main character, or rather, I didn't root for his mission or cause although I was still empathetic towards him at times. Honestly if I hadn't read that misleading spoiler, I would've called him as doomed the second Yaslin revealed she was pregnant. Instead I was caught off guard, both at her dying and then him too. Horza was a dick, warmed up to him when he started being less of a poo poo after finding out pregnancy, but he was a dumbass and an rear end in a top hat. Couldn't have just used Unoha-Closp's name?! Better relationship with the drone may have saved several of their lives, but better decision making all along would've done the same. When they started hauling Xorxorge around, after he already tricked them into escaping once, I was like, ready for him to kill them all for the sheer loving stupidity of the move. There was just no sense to it, trying to shame him was just so dumb especially with Horza and Yaslin at risk.

Major bummer ending for Balveda, just sad. Unoha-Closp and the Mind seem to get the best endings here.

Weirdest part of the book was N'Geestra. All she did was hurt herself climbing mountains and then guess correctly at events. She got an epilogue where she had the longest craziest eventful life full of more escapades. Just kind of seems like that entire character could've been excised from the story and nothing would've changed. I'm guessing maybe she or her heirs come back up later? Or just an additional vaguely connected perspective on matters.

Also surprised the Mind didn't end up being special, just had that one crazy unlikely lucky event, doesn't seem like they learned the trick from it or anything.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
N'Geestra is there to answer the question, "If Minds are tiny gods, why do they keep the meat people around?"

It's because, given enough meat people, statistically weird poo poo happens. Like a meat person who, through pure chance, is just as good as a Mind millions of times more intelligent than she is at working out solutions to incredibly difficult problems.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ah okay, that makes meat sense.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
There's also stuff in the other books where having happy meat people is a low key status symbol amongst the ship Minds - not that a Mind cares about anything so unCultured as 'status'.

"I built three new parks in my upper superstructure while fighting a war against a class 5 hegemonic swarm and still had the happiness index of my meat people increase by over 2%"

"Hah, I have a family who have been living on me for 13 generations. That's a happiness index."

"13 generations? Those are rookie numbers. I have a waiting list."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Makes a lot of sense that the Minds are basically the Rogue Servitors from Stellaris, though of course the inspiration probably goes the other way around.

Also, traditionally by most definitions gods very much keep people around, for various reasons.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Megillah Gorilla posted:

N'Geestra is there to answer the question, "If Minds are tiny gods, why do they keep the meat people around?"

It's because, given enough meat people, statistically weird poo poo happens. Like a meat person who, through pure chance, is just as good as a Mind millions of times more intelligent than she is at working out solutions to incredibly difficult problems.

I definitely read this as a counter point to Horza's argument that the humans are tools or pets of the minds. That the minds take actual input from humans in issues not just of strategy but also tactics is a pretty reasonable counter.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
i thought they keep us around to have meat cutes

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Also Minds that don't have humans around generally go a bit weird, at least from the POV of other Minds. Offensive Units are the exception, but only because they're expected to be borderline psychopathic weirdos

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Seems possible that it may even just come down to how the Minds were originally programmed as entities to be around and interact with humans. They are ultimately social creatures who function best in conditions that meet their needs. Also probably helps that having people around not only gives them a need but also means they have a lot of time to spend just hanging out and engaged with other beings without any necessarily pressing tasks. There's only so much a post-scarcity space AI can really do otherwise besides go transcendent or killbot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think it's pretty interesting the difference between drones that are fancy roombas, and proper sentient being drones, and also minds distinct from both (and from meat drones).

Usually I'd consider these kinds of AI as essentially human, if not, still part of the evolution of life specific to this planet or DNA (unless that stuff got shipped in at some point and all animals we know are evolutions of object X.) They don't seem to do that in these books, but I mean, they're all clearly people. I have to a lively remind myself to imagine them as orbs because even without physical descriptions I'm automatically picturing a humanoid body.

And speaking of transcendence, do they ever go into why the Culture aren't all on that train? I can't imagine they just never figured it out, seems like a common enough thing they've seen happen and could figure it out if they set their Minds to it. So I assume there's a cultural choice to not, and I can think of plenty, not sure I'd hop to transcendence if I can sculpt landscapes as an elective job as a merely 3d mortal.