Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

take the moon

by sebmojo
hi I like anime. obvs everyones seen the poo poo we all know about. post about the chill animes u know about this is a fun/safe space where we compliment animes and say good things about them.

im not cool enough for phiz but I used to lurk their thread and got some picks if anyone wants em. but yea this is a chill thread for anime discussion where no ones too cool/uncool to post and we all like anime but god help me I cant post in ADTRW

if this thread rips its fine

BYOB psycho 100 also

im tempted to say no jojo but that seems counter to the byob way of being inclusive. so jojo is fine

stay Wired orbs

gifs:

[img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/56261040497dd99ae6cbf3f2f6f721b4/tumblr_mk7i7zlCyH1s93xcuo1_500.gifv[/img[

take the moon fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

my brother mailed me a thumbdrive with media on it when i lived in sask, and one of the things was the first season of psycho - pass, which i kinda enjoyed, but assumed was standalone.

is the second season worth watching?

also legit neon genesis evangelion rules, and before i had watched it i heard folk were like, FURIOUS, at the ending. i was expecting, i don't even know, something?

the congratulations thing made so much sense to me.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

take the moon

by sebmojo
iirc they did the ending the way they did because they ran out of :10bux: did u see end of eva? assuming so but if you haven't u should watch it its amazing, satisfies that itch of "ok wtf was actually happening." turns out the answer is lots of cool poo poo.

I forget everything about psycho-pass lol sorry.

if u like akira u might like the metropolis anime I saw it when I was like 13 lol on a minivan dvd player and it was awesome

biosterous

you know what rules, that i don't see talked about much? megalo box! it's a punkish boxing anime, and if that doesn't sell you then you and i have different tastes and that is okay

e: boxing with robot arms that you wear!!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Yinlock

i'll try to shut up about jojo out of respect for the op but not posting this jojo gif is some kind of crime

also jojo part 4 owns, mob psycho 100 also owns

take the moon

by sebmojo
mob psycho is the loving poo poo and I can recommend as excellent stoned viewing so u notice the char work making you be like wow everything about this show is excellent

take the moon

by sebmojo
I will watch anime robot arm boxing

sorry about the jojo thing lol. its really fine. some people really like it and that's def ok. I couldn't resist I guess cuz its like everywhere. maybe it is super good. but also there are like a million eps I think

Yinlock

take the moon posted:

sorry about the jojo thing lol. its really fine. some people really like it and that's def ok. I couldn't resist I guess cuz its like everywhere. maybe it is super good. but also there are like a million eps I think

it's separated into parts that are all their own self-contained story more-or-less(though you get more out of them by watching all of it since some characters make recurring appearances)

part 1: fighting vampires with sun kung-fu, also everything is so unbelievably gay that it somehow loops around to being straight as hell
part 2: part 1 but with an interesting and hilarious protagonist(see gif), still gay as ever
part 3: world tour with punching ghosts that have insanely specific powers, gay as hell and i'm glad of it
part 4: a group of teens work together to stop anime david bowie's killing spree. 90% of it is just them using their magic ghost powers to gently caress with and/or scam each-other, it's great. somehow the least homoerotic part, which means it is still tremendously gay
part 5: italian crime story starring a man that can make zippers. the most homoerotic part by loving miles which is not a complaint

Yinlock

take the moon posted:

mob psycho is the loving poo poo and I can recommend as excellent stoned viewing so u notice the char work making you be like wow everything about this show is excellent

ONE is a really good writer, he wrote one punch man too

Jolyne Cujoh

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
if u want a chill anime you don't get chiller than Laid Back Camp

take the moon posted:

im tempted to say no jojo

also rude

Heather Papps

hello friend

my brother thinks i would really love jojo and i haven't dipped my toe, but i wonder what that means?

like, what does it say about my taste that my lil bro, my best bud in the whole world, thinks that i would LOVE jojo?

biosterous

take the moon posted:

gallery of sigs

he/him

Heather Papps

hello friend

biosterous posted:

if that doesn't sell you then you and i have different tastes and that is okay

it sold me

e: this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Eg1q9cPvCc
plus this line in the description
"They don't make tombstones for stray dogs."

means that holy poo poo, i am in

Heather Papps fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 16, 2020

biosterous

back when we were dating, my spouse and i spent a period of time watching a miyazaki movie pretty much every time we hung out. it was great. it was at time where we were experiencing some rough stuff in the real world, so it was great to have a reliable escape into something beautiful and whimsical (and sometimes scary but never in an uncomfortable way). just a good time all around

gallery of sigs

he/him

take the moon

by sebmojo
apologizing again for no jojo. im not the thread police post as much as u want

I watched first ep of robot arm boxing will watch more. that villain design is lol

also gonna check out laid back camp.

sb hermit

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

if u want a chill anime you don't get chiller than Laid Back Camp

:yeah:

take the moon posted:

the opinionated people in ADTRW will insist that Legend of the Galactic Heroes (or something of that nature) is the best must watch anime

no, I haven't seen it either

Dead Hippie Ghost

tears for queers
afk -> you know me
sponsored by Healer LLC
whats the red crying guy in the first gif from?

also jojo is good but a bit over rated, though i think that's mostly just excited yunguns who get reaaaally into things

Finger Prince

take the moon posted:

if u like akira u might like the metropolis anime I saw it when I was like 13 lol on a minivan dvd player and it was awesome

Metropolis is really really good and has an amazing soundtrack
(seriously, Ray Charles - I can't stop loving you... Just thinking about that movie and that song starts playing in my head).

I thought Blame was pretty cool.

Oh and loving Batman Ninja is a complete mindfuck and must be witnessed.

biosterous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYUFBnAmK28

satoshi kon was an absolute master, rip

tokyo godfathers is the best christmas movie, and i'm very happy that the recently-released dub cast a trans woman to voice Hana instead of the all-too-typical thing of having a cis actor play a trans character

gallery of sigs

he/him

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Someone mentioned Satoshi Kon, so I'll second that if you want some interesting cerebral anime. The man was a master :rip:

Some other animes I've enjoyed, outside of your classics (Akira, Ghost In The Shell, NGE etc)

Serial Experiments Lain: Probably my favorite anime of all time. Just watch it, it's amazing. The whole thing is up on youtube from Funamation (at least in the US)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9kYAEyVjEY

Ghost Hound: By the guy who directed Ghost In The Shell. Astral projection, Jazz, and Sake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtTQDbC07U8

Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Deep Below: It's been a while since I last saw this but the plot had something to do with a girl going to the underworld to rescue the soul of her dead mother. Reminded me a bit of Lovecraft's Dreamlands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TdR4Wxcays

Mononoke: Not to be confused with Princess Mononoke, this anime follows the adventures of a medicine seller in feudal japan as he battles demons and things. I'd compare it to a japanese version of the witcher maybe?? Also the art style is gorgeous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OJW9gZL33Q

Mushi-shi: This is kind of the light-side cousin to Mononoke. Whereas Monoke gets dark as hell (in subject matter if not content), mushi-shi is pretty laid back and almost mellow. It's also about a kind of medicine man, but this guy can see the sort of neutral spirits(?) between this world and the next and kind of works cases involving them. There's not really any good promo material out there, but funamation has also made this available on youtube (at least in the U.S.) so here's episode one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdhR5XZNXbs

Last but not least, I'll close out my list with an anime that I find very interesting. Welcome to The NHK! This anime interests me because it's one of the only one's I've seen where the protagonists are actual human adults in their mid 20's, and not high school children. The plot concerns an ensemble cast, but the main character is a 20 something year old shut in who has basically isolated himself from all human contact. One day he meets a young girl who promises to change his life. Unlike most anime's though, NHK refuses to fall into the "manic pixie dream girl" trope and actually ends up offering a probing look at depression and the existential struggles of human existence.

here's a really terrible trailer that doesn't do the show much justice but was the best i could find:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYLsjJ8RThQ

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

PHIZ KALIFA

#mood
we have a lot of similar tastes in anime. i've got a memory from Ghost Hound, that maybe you can help me: There's a scene in the first or second episode where the camera is driving past a forest scene. There's an amorphous black figure behind some trees, and its body changes suddenly before cutting away. i KNOW this happens in the first few episodes of Ghost Hound, but I went back and rewatched them and didn't find it.
this sticks in my memory because it was legit chilling. i expected the series to be much more horror focused than it was.

also tried showing my partner Mononoke, got in like 10 minutes before i remembered, oh poo poo, that first story arc is about abortion

crimes

PHIZ KALIFA

#mood
i cannot stress how visually stunning Mononoke was and remains. Honestly i think it should have gotten the praise Madoka got for it's visual style. What blows my mind is the precursor series, Samurai Horror Tales, is otherwise totally forgettable.

crimes

Dead Hippie Ghost

tears for queers
afk -> you know me
sponsored by Healer LLC
Mononoke (the series) and serial experiments lain are two of the best shows I've ever seen.

Some of the storytelling in mononoke was a little tired, and I wished there were more overarching plot, but overall a fantastic and beautiful show. Honestly the art style is so beautiful and interesting to watch that it almost makes it for me on that alone, but it's also really interesting and downright frightening at times :gibs:

Lain is just the most fascinatingly surreal show I've ever seen. The ideas of god and metaphysics in that show are so interesting, and the whole thing plays out like a dream that somehow tells a solid story without having an ounce of cohesion.

Escape From Noise

Tekkonkonreet is a great and often somewhat overlooked anime film. Possibly because it's not really drawn completely anime style. The story is kind of endearing, bizarre, scary, and really visually stunning. The setting of Treasure Town is apparently at least partially based on the Osaka slum I used to work in.

magic cactus

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Tekkonkonreet is a great and often somewhat overlooked anime film. Possibly because it's not really drawn completely anime style. The story is kind of endearing, bizarre, scary, and really visually stunning. The setting of Treasure Town is apparently at least partially based on the Osaka slum I used to work in.

I love Tekkonkinkreet! The guys behind have a new one out, MFKZ I think. It was... okay.

magic cactus

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

we have a lot of similar tastes in anime. i've got a memory from Ghost Hound, that maybe you can help me

might have been 11:20 in this clip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7qPO1Acw-Q

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Just popping in to say that although anime is bad I'm glad you guys are having fun.

Heather Papps

hello friend

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

Just popping in to say that although anime is bad I'm glad you guys are having fun.

it's weird to me that saying anime is bad will make otaku slightly mad, but saying that "animation is animation. western, eastern, whatever. i don't understand what exactly makes anime it's own thing" will cause frothing madness

Escape From Noise

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

There's a lot of bad anime because of its mass appeal. I don't really like a ton of it honestly but there are some really good ones.

Mummy Napkin
Sketchbook Full Colors is a total yob anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuym6mtL4sg

Escape From Noise

In America you are an otaku if you like anime.

In Japan it depends on the anime. Naruto, Dragon Ball, Naruto, etc.=normal show for mostly anyone to watch or read the manga.
Evangelion=You are an otaku

take the moon

by sebmojo
some of the animes itt look good thx for posting yall. im gonna finish megalo boxing cuz its so goofy and then watch ghost hound I think. also I got the escaflowne movie on dvd and have been menaing to mae time for a score only rewatch. escaflowne is another influential anime in my childhood because they were like we can prolly bring this to western kids but idk how to deal with the blood powered gundam MOBILE SUIT k lets just keep that

there are ofc bad animes but I trust my orbs to both keep it posi and post the best & chillest animes

Escape From Noise

Also Cowboy Beebop and Samurai Champloo. Although Beebop had the better ending

take the moon

by sebmojo
cowboy bebop at his posting rig

biosterous

very very bad anime but worth watching if you're in the mood to laugh at bad anime: brynhildr in the darkness

it's bad in the "jeez these characters are really dumb and this plot makes no sense" way, not in the "lots of gore, super uncomfortable to watch" way

also if you can find yourself a copy of the dub of garzey's wing, it is also terrible in the best way

gallery of sigs

he/him

magic cactus

on the subject of so bad it's good anime: Ghost Hunt. It's like one of those ghost hunting TV shows but in anime form. It's dumb as hell. Here's episode 1 (funimation again):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coRBLVwHjKE

BoldFrankensteinMir

I was invited to the anime thread, despite knowing little about anime. Let's see how this turns out...

Uh, which Adult Swim circa early 2000's standards have already been mentioned? Bebop, Trigun, etc. Watching Akira on the SciFi channel at 1 am, those were the days huh? Space Battleship Yamato toys in cardboard boxes more valuable than the plastic bits, my my.

Watching Ghibli with loved ones is a pure gift from heaven? Check.

One Punch Man is amazing proof deconstructionism is alive and well? Check.

I feel like I have nothing constructive to add, sorry anime goons. I'll just be friendly support, safe in the knowledge that Gigantor is not only the best anime theme-song, it is best theme-song in all television history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eyFyIKDnHM

Sig by Heather Papps

take the moon

by sebmojo

biosterous posted:

very very bad anime but worth watching if you're in the mood to laugh at bad anime: brynhildr in the darkness

it's bad in the "jeez these characters are really dumb and this plot makes no sense" way, not in the "lots of gore, super uncomfortable to watch" way

also if you can find yourself a copy of the dub of garzey's wing, it is also terrible in the best way

is this the one they made space thunder kids out of? I could be hallucinating this. its amazing tho

wearing a lampshade

I'm gonna bookmark this thread op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous

take the moon posted:

is this the one they made space thunder kids out of? I could be hallucinating this. its amazing tho

no, neither seem to be related. garzey's wing is fantasy and brynhildr in the darkness is modern, no future robots or space ships in either

gallery of sigs

he/him