Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Donít forget to post it when itís all done and polished! I love watching Goon productions even if they are not speaking English or with a heavy dialect: I speak Southern and nobody understands me, either! 😂

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

poverty goat posted:

The cost of getting vaccinated is just waiting in that room for 15 minutes twice, so really you've already paid your debt many times over

Ahh I jumped ahead the line based on my age, and a town nearby just opened to all comers and was immediately SLAMMED. I got off easy all together. Which means folks are gonna be back to angling for a shot anyway they can get one in a weeks time here so, yea not feeling a lot of guilt letting those who want get one more crack at the old slot lottery.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Saw they were making a remake of Diablo 2, had good memories of playing Diablo 1 back in 1997, fired up the pirate bay got the 2000 version and oh my god what a turd that game was. It's the worst parts of idle clicker games and the most blah parts of Rogue (a game I like).

You just passively click a million times until a skeleton dies. Sometimes if things get a little hairy like a boss fight you press '1' to drink some health and if it gets really wild you occasionally click somewhere else to move away for a second. And when it's all over there's 900 pieces of junk all over the place, of which you can carry like, four before you need to portal home. Half of which is valueless and half of which is worth your time for no clear reason (a stack of throwing knives, stuff that pops out in the first area is worth up to like 500 gold but a suit of magical armor is worth like 300. The magic stuff requires a 100 gold identify scroll to figure out and then sells for like 30 bucks, up from 25 unidentified. The whole gameplay loop seemed to be lugging poo poo back to town to sell for a net profit of 50 gold above the cost of the teleport and identify scrolls. And anything you'd want to purchase from a store costs like 10,000

I played a necromancer and kept waiting for the fighting to get more intense than me walking into a room, and letting my skeletons, golem, and mercenary go to absolute work while picked a guy and tapped on him with my wand. Turns out you can't pick your difficulty, according to wikis you have to play all the way through to unlock a harder difficulty. Got to the point I'd leveled 5 times and hadn't bothered with spending any points cause what was the need?

I'm not missing anything right? This game must've dropped and kinda coasted to success on attitude and a lack of real competition, and that success made it a franchise? I checked the wikipedia I know this is a hot take: "Diablo II was one of the most popular games of 2000[5] and has been cited as one of the greatest video games ever made." This might seem like a mountain from a molehill but the thread has been quiet anyway, and I remember really liking Diablo 1. There's not even any fun recognizing stuff for nostalgia's sake. It's like trying a goldfish cracker at 35 after 25 years away and realizing they taste like poo poo and always did.

I mean I guess there's a lot OF it, I bailed cause it took me like 12-15 hours to get through Act 1 and the wiki said there were 4 more. Looks like it's something like 4-5x the content of Diablo 1?
E: Correction, Diablo had 16 levels Diablo II + Expansion had **120**. gently caress sake that's a lot of game. If they're all randomly generated I guess why not just let the RNG run?

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 16, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Holy poo poo you are stupid.

Not only was it one of the greatest games ever made by any measure, they are remaking the exact same game because everyone loves it so much.

edit: ok that came off mean. You have bad opinions. imo

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 16, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

I don't play computer games anymore but if you asked me what were my most memorable games I'd probably say diablo 1&2, quake, leisure suit Larry, tribes, battle field Vietnam and captain cosmic. And minesweeper obviously.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

quote:

You just passively click a million times until a skeleton dies. Sometimes if things get a little hairy like a boss fight you press '1' to drink some health and if it gets really wild you occasionally click somewhere else to move away for a second.

Most games can be reduced to something really basic if you're gonna do it this way. Every rhythm game is "just click at the right time and it's the right time every time you retry the song lol you can just memorize it". I get your point but it can sound disingenuous.

As for the rest of the post.

PipHelix posted:

I'm not missing anything right? This game must've dropped and kinda coasted to success on attitude and a lack of real competition, and that success made it a franchise? I checked the wikipedia I know this is a hot take: "Diablo II was one of the most popular games of 2000[5] and has been cited as one of the greatest video games ever made." This might seem like a mountain from a molehill but the thread has been quiet anyway, and I remember really liking Diablo 1. There's not even any fun recognizing stuff for nostalgia's sake. It's like trying a goldfish cracker at 35 after 25 years away and realizing they taste like poo poo and always did.

I mean I guess there's a lot OF it, I bailed cause it took me like 12-15 hours to get through Act 1 and the wiki said there were 4 more. Looks like it's something like 4-5x the content of Diablo 1?
E: Correction, Diablo had 16 levels Diablo II + Expansion had **120**. gently caress sake that's a lot of game. If they're all randomly generated I guess why not just let the RNG run?

D2 has a lot more levels but D1 is a slower game, D1 levels take longer unless you're manipulating RNG in which case the game lasts a few minutes. But yeah even then D2 is way way way bigger than D1.

Most people that I know who still play D2 play D2ES. People who still play ARPGs have mostly moved to other games, I'm not sure I know anyone who's been playing D2 since it was released and it's not ES or the other mod I forgot the name.

D2 has a problem in that it was not just the proto modern-arpg, it was the proto modern-everything. I don't think it invented most of its features but it was certainly the game to unite them and popularize them. To this day you still have games that follow D2's blueprint, its talent system, its normal magic rare unique system, its affix philosophy, etc. And games, even Blizzard ones, have been iterating on that same exact formula for two decades. There's nothing wrong with the original D2, if anything there was too much right and you might have played so many things derived from it that the og D2 has lost its point for your set of preferences.

D1 feels in some ways like a modern indie game that could come out and be played and have that slow pacing. D2 is, well, D2. If you're not actively looking to play the remastered version of the game that you liked, then I'm afraid yeah, there might not be much there for you in 2021. D2 didn't coast to success on a lack of real competition, it made the competition.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 16, 2021

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I just had an epiphany: the internet is useless!

Ultra Carp

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Holy poo poo you are stupid.

Not only was it one of the greatest games ever made by any measure, they are remaking the exact same game because everyone loves it so much.

edit: ok that came off mean. You have bad opinions. imo

Derpies
Mar 10, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Diablo 2 rocked and if you hate it it's tantamount to hating tugging and makes you a dull smooth brained person

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Oh, you are saying that hating Diablo 2 makes you retarded?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies
Mar 10, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

silence_kit posted:

Oh, you are saying that hating Diablo 2 makes you retarded?

Turn on your monitor