Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

well you can downgrade that because i put half the stock into jars and then put those jars in the freezer and the fuckin jars in the freezer were all cracked and spiderwebbed and I had to throw it out
I'm very disappointed

I told you to drink it! :doh: but I feel like you learned something. we'll let you skate on this one (actually sorry, that sucks.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

PipHelix posted:

Last week I twice wrote 'March' for the date on forms at work...

I've heard the joke that today's date should be written 'March 89th' and I think it is far too accurate to be funny.

naem
May 29, 2011

I came across a work document from february and was struck by nostalgia for the before times

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

naem posted:

I came across a work document from february and was struck by nostalgia for the before times

"We will be meeting in the conference room at 3"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

naem posted:

Haha I've been calling it The Before Times too. A couple people at work have already picked up on it.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Elephant Ambush posted:

Today my sister came over.

She helped my wife with her garden.

She helped me clean some area rugs.

She helped us make dinner (brats, green beans, big hot pretzels and cheese sauce, grilled onions and peppers).

She helped my wife make ice cream (Green River, mixed berries).

Best sister.

Also I am amazed how stupid almost everyone in my neighborhood is. It hasn't even been 2 months yet since quarantine started and these people just CANNOT loving keep themselves from having parties and inviting whoever the hell over. People are gonna die and it will be their fault.

Like, this poo poo is going to go on through the rest of the year and people are already cracking and having people over. Like goddamn.

So it’s ok for you to have someone over but everyone else is an idiot?

naem
May 29, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Haha I've been calling it The Before Times too. A couple people at work have already picked up on it.

grillster posted:

"We will be meeting in the conference room at 3"

You speak the tru tru *sharpens pointed stick*

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Well, ackshually she...........And, furthermore

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

My wife already had the roni and got past it. I probably had it too but was asymptomatic. There is no risk to anyone involved but there is no way in hell that's the case for the dozen people at multiple neighbor parties.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Elephant Ambush posted:

My wife already had the roni and got past it. I probably had it too but was asymptomatic. There is no risk to anyone involved but there is no way in hell that's the case for the dozen people at multiple neighbor parties.

I see, it’s a good thing scientists don’t fully understand how long people remain contagious or if there is any meaningful immunity

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I see, it’s a good thing scientists don’t fully understand how long people remain contagious or if there is any meaningful immunity

Yeah but brats and ice cream and

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Early on in the thread I posted about how I was gonna learn Blender to make a video for a friend that I've been streaming Witcher 3 with for the last past couple of years, as a birthday gift to him. I finished it, I refused to watch any tutorial videos, I regret nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EuaV0QbTQw

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

No you see if it's mutating quickly enough to infect him again he'll take responsibility don't worry

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I bought a package of break apart chocolate chip cookie dough a while ago and decided to break it apart and keep it in a bag in the freezer. now I can snack on a cookie dough ball whenever I want. I am a genius.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

The Voice of Labor posted:

no friend. betrayer. chili thief

only friends that can be relied on

more mercy than he deserved

Loving this Cabin Fever let's play.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
tonights home made curry night because im p sure my favorite indian place is going under

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I'm hoping our local Thai place makes it. He's been around for a long time and is a fixture here, but hopefully carry-out keeps him going.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I was thinking of getting chinese delivery on day 100 as a treat. I've been trying to limit the amount of people having to deliver me things mostly out of guilt so it's been groceries 1-2 times a month since march and 0 takeout. This is day 81 so uhhh third week of june I guess?

this poo poo suckssssssssssssss

e: i don't have a car/nyc/distant grocery store before just goto the store yourself chat..i would if i did though trust me

naem
May 29, 2011

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm trying to decide what my professor meant by telling us that all of our papers this semester could be "up to 750 words".

Does that mean a good 550 word essay is fine? Should I add some quotes to make word number go up?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

spacetoaster posted:

I'm trying to decide what my professor meant by telling us that all of our papers this semester could be "up to 750 words".

Does that mean a good 550 word essay is fine? Should I add some quotes to make word number go up?

I think it means I’m not reading anything over 750 and I’m probably not reading it at all

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the staircase grading method sorts papers by weight with the heaviest papers falling closer to the bottom of the stairs.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I think it means I’m not reading anything over 750 and I’m probably not reading it at all

Judging from the fact that last semester he didn't grade any of my papers for a long time and then suddenly one day they were all 98's I'd say you are correct.

But I imagine word count plays into his 3 seconds per paper grading process.

I'm gonna throw in some quotes from the source material.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

spacetoaster posted:

Judging from the fact that last semester he didn't grade any of my papers for a long time and then suddenly one day they were all 98's I'd say you are correct.

But I imagine word count plays into his 3 seconds per paper grading process.

I'm gonna throw in some quotes from the source material.

A few big block quotes and you got this

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

got some lorem ipsum all up in this joint

naem
May 29, 2011

Passersby were amazed at the unusually large amounts of blood

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

fwiw teachers who read your paper will often mark you down on this strategy because they have in fact been teachers for a while and students before that and you're not fooling anyone.

Like people who think they're clever with minor changes to font size and/or margins, "it hardly looks different at all" you say not putting together the idea that it will in fact stand out like a sore thumb when it's in the middle of a bunch of other similar papers that followed the guidelines.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Good news! Spoke with my professor and he said to ignore the word count and just try to keep the papers at 1 page.

lol

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The word limit is because some people will, not exaggerating, write 15 pages for a 5-page paper. Some are trying to cover every possible point because they're paranoid they'll miss something that will affect their grade, and others haven't learned to be succinct. The *good* reason to give word counts is establishing clear expectations for students and encouraging them to practice being succinct. But I think most word limits are just because the teacher doesn't want to read all that extra poo poo.

If you put a block quote in one of my papers I will cross it out because there's no way you're providing enough analysis of that quote for it to have been worth including in full.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The word limit is because some people will, not exaggerating, write 15 pages for a 5-page paper. Some are trying to cover every possible point because they're paranoid they'll miss something that will affect their grade, and others haven't learned to be succinct. The *good* reason to give word counts is establishing clear expectations for students and encouraging them to practice being succinct. But I think most word limits are just because the teacher doesn't want to read all that extra poo poo.

If you put a block quote in one of my papers I will cross it out because there's no way you're providing enough analysis of that quote for it to have been worth including in full.

That's what I figured. I'm getting a couple of graduate degrees to help me start a new career and what I thought was required of me was so much more than what is actually required.

Like, I spent 2 days crafting the perfect essay response to a professor's question. Only to see classmates bang out a quick response over the course of an hour and get the same grade.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I made a meal my mom used to make for me when I was a kid. WI has huge German population, it's basically little Germany, so we had some "inspired" stuff when I was young. This is a huge skillet of onions, garlic, potatoes, sauerkraut, and kielbasa sausage in a big ol' cast iron pan. I put a ton of paprika in it too because I love the color. I'm drunk right now and this is just perfect.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I made a meal my mom used to make for me when I was a kid. WI has huge German population, it's basically little Germany, so we had some "inspired" stuff when I was young. This is a huge skillet of onions, garlic, potatoes, sauerkraut, and kielbasa sausage in a big ol' cast iron pan. I put a ton of paprika in it too because I love the color. I'm drunk right now and this is just perfect.

Holy poo poo I would eat this whole thing

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
You make one joke about block quotes and the English nerds come out of the woodwork to be lame. Learn math and then you won’t have to read essays about Harry Potter anymore

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I replaced the lawnmower blades on my riding mower. My children have the cutoff wheel going and are turning them into a bunch of little knives today.

I fully expect the revolution to occur tonight once they get the handles attached and the blades sharpened up.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

I want this!!! :swoon:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Its too drat hot. So its time to be lazy and eat chips and salsa

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

naem posted:

You speak the tru tru *sharpens pointed stick*

Everything marked, everything memba'd. We ain't been slack.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

To say it another way, you want your students to practice being succinct because NO ONE wants to read extra poo poo, and figuring out how to convey the most important information, spoken or written, with a minimum of woolgathering claptrap is a very valuable social skill, STEM, humanities, whatever.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Post the recipe, it is required.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Outrail posted:

He did?

Older European ladies don’t measure. Unless they’re baking, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Outrail posted:

It's super simple. Like a weekday feed your kids food. I'm not a good cook mind you so I'll just be dead honest.

1 sweet onion
1 big spoonful of chopped garlic from a jar
2 large russet potatoes
1/2 jar of Frank's sauerkraut (I just checked it's 32oz)
1 of those "U" shaped rings of kielbasa sausage

Salt
Ground black pepper from one of those cheap grinders you get from the store
A poo poo ton of paprika
A little chili powder

Heat up a big cast iron skillet (I'm still learning the awesomeness of cast iron) and put some canola oil in. I'd use olive oil but those things can get hot so I used canola just to be safe. Chop up onion however you want I guess and fry that a bit until it starts to get a little crispy brown but not translucent. Add garlic and potatoes. I cooked the potatoes in the microwave for a few minutes to speed things up but I probably wouldn't do that next time or heat it less. Chop up the potato into chunks and try not to burn yourself since you cooked them in the microwave too long. Toss that in along with the garlic at the same time so it doesn't burn. Add all of the seasoning and make sure to coat the potatoes with paprika. Once those are done, whenever I guess I was drunk and didn't time anything, then throw some sauerkraut in and flip it a bit so some can at least get browned. Then cut up the kielbasa on the bias and toss that in there. Once that's in then it just needs to be heated up.

That's the lazy way to do it. I'm sure I could have done other things like sear the kielbasa to get a nice crust on it but like I said this is just an easy one pot meal. Excellent drunk food. It has everything you want in one dish.