Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

crossposting from the pinball thread, since i get dose two next week and things finally look like they may end some day:

i've almost finished my quarantine project F-14. just need to touch up the black paint. in total, I ended up:

rebuilding all 4 flippers
replacing the switch on the Yakov kicker
replacing the left center pocket coil bracket- it took about a month to hunt the part down when i could have just replaced the whole coil for $14
replacing the left center pocket retaining gate wire
replacing all the incandescent bulbs with LEDs
sending the boards to Missouri for a $300 repair/bulletproofing including installing NVRAM
replacing all the plastics and star posts with NOS
replacing all the rubbers
replacing the Yagov, light lock and spinner stickers
fixing a damaged piece of playfield wood on the right outlane
replacing the rollthrough sensor on the left side lock habitrail
soldering a standup target and an LED back in to place
repairing the pulley system that drives the gumballs on the topper
generally unfucking lots of "field repairs" including stripped screw holes that'd been patched with toothpicks
tightening/locking down all the posts on what has been a very hard routed machine- now it gets to relax as a HUO
dipped the legs in CLR and scrubbed them to new
and if some of you recall, when i brought the machine home, it looked like this on the left side (i think the best comment posted here was 'did that thing fall off a truck and slide a hundred yards on its side?':

and now, eleven months and a corona-timed landlord ending our lease later, i'll be bringing it inside probably Friday, depends on how fast the black gets touched up (wife volunteered, i'm trying not to be pushy):

it was fun, and a good reason to get off my computer during corona, but i don't want to buy a machine that needs this much work again. i feel like i learned a lot and could diagnose nearly anything now. the worst, most tedious and nerve-wracking part was by far doing the paint. just pay someone the $900 to redo your cab for you, trust me :D

oh, and drilling out the rivets on the old plastics to get access to the parts that needed to be re used. that also was an utter bitch

getting my second shot a week from saturday. gonna go ref a bunch of soccer games

boar guy fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Internetjack posted:

Nice work on the restoration boar guy. Nothing better than a good pinball machine to enjoy with family and friends.

:tipshat: i think i might get to play it tonight! :D

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

lmao yeah

Boar guy, do you have a thread on the pinball machine? Seems like a project that would rate one

just the general pinball thread. happy to answer questions about it or tell a longer story :tipshat: also many, many folks in there that have done a lot more than i have. this was my first resto.

boar guy fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 8, 2021