Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

kloa posted:

close-up bread

close-up bread looks like the landscape of an alien planet. You can zoom-in and get all Where's Waldo and find the astronaut camp up on one of those tall cliffs.

The next day there was an expedition down to the canyon floor below. See those yellow areas with the cave openings? Freaking Starship Troopers right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
The public range in town is shut down, so I dug out the archery range at home and did some shooting yesterday. Its down by the creek in the trees and the snow doesn't really melt for another two months there, so I was wearing my snow shoes while shooting arrows. Doable and not too awkward. Shot well!

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Thanks for mentioning Dawn of War. Got it yesterday and it scratches that old WC3 itch perfectly. I've never played any Warhammer games, but I dig the aesthetic. Cold and rainy today. Perfect timing.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
I'm a bachelor living by myself; but I have the advantage of 15 acres. Somewhat use to being isolated to begin with. Usually only go to town once a week anyways. so not much of a big change. Got archery, started the Dawn of War series, finished a book(Empire of the Summer Moon, history of the Comanche people, incredibly interesting) and I started watching Dead Like Me.

I remember DLM being highly recommended when it came out, but I managed to miss it. Very enjoyable and relate-able(!). It manages to do "light" dark humor very well. Writing is excellent, acting is good, and Patinkin's character really ties it together. Main theme is grim reapers and death, so may not be the best recommend at the moment, but its worth it if you don't mind.

Also, as a single person on their own, I've gotten a few more check-in calls and emails than normal. Turned that around and called a few folks I haven't spoken with in a while. Nice to know people are thinking of ya.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
"Spring" is here. Gotten 10" of snow in the last 4 days. A couple weeks ago it was down to dirt and grass in most areas. Enough now for another x-country ski though!

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Flutieflakes017 posted:

Related, I usually get my hair cut every 4 weeks or so because I have a natural Jonah Hill/Will Ferrell esq white man afro and no one trusts an adult male with hair that curly. Total fro going right now. Think I'm gonna dye it black just for fun. Dyed my white man afro black for a couple years in HS when I was an angsty wannabe goth kid. I think it'll be funny. Wife is gonna hate it though, oh yes she will.

Dye it yellow with red dots.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Making some jerky right now. Will post a pic this evening.

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 8, 2020

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Making a larger batch, starting with 2.5 lbs of sirloin. Slice about 1/4" thin.

I just use the store bought seasoning/cure mix overnight in the fridge.

Start with one tray of hickory chips in the Lil Chief smoker. That will take a bit over an hour to burn through one tray. In the summer when its warmer, I'd then just leave it there warm drying for another 5-6 hours. Its too cold out for that now, so I bring it in after the smoke and use a dehydrator at 160F for about 3 hours.

I look for oils beading on the surface for a reference point for "done".

The best part of making jerky is sampling it as you go. Yum! I'll add a pic this evening.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Oscar Wild posted:

The joker is really not a good movie. Even about mental illness. Parasite is way better.

I picked up some tv shows at the library several weeks ago before the SAH/shutdown guidelines went into effect in our county.

Normally I'll grab some pretty random stuff, watch an episode or two and watch the rest if its good, or ditch it and move onto the next show if it sucks.
The library is shut now, and said to just hold onto everything, so I'm revisiting the garbage for fun!

Lost Girl
You'd think sexy magic people in leather would have some minimal amount of appeal. I mean, she's a succubus. Can't go wrong, right?
Nope that's about peak for it. Most episodes are freak of the week, what's your super power, write a 40 minute story line around that. Oh, also, don't forget the quirky sidekick. Done. Repeat next episode.

The Magicians
I actually saw the first episode of this when it came out. Was it as bad as I remembered? Yup.
Also has sexy magic people but in street clothes. Not much leather. I'd love to see the actual recipe that was used to make this show. I'm pretty sure it looks something like this:
1 part Harry Potter
1 part Narnia
98 parts whiny emo bitch

The main character in this show is such a whiny bitch that if you made a list of the ten most annoying whiny bitchy things, this guy would have eleven of them.
His best friend that he estranges gets constantly hosed over too. Whoops!

I did luck out and got Dead Like Me Season 1 as well which is fantastic, so the trip was worth it. I'm actually enjoying the ones above too, but mostly to see how bad they get at this point.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Diggin' the before and after pics on the turtles. They really rock that prehistoric vibe.

Pic of jerky from yesterday. Came out wonderful.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

spacetoaster posted:

We got a Colt Walker kit today. It's a famous black powder pistol.

My kids and I disassembled it, cleaned all the parts, and blued them today.

Tomorrow we will try to shape, and finish, the walnut grips.

Cool fact: black powder guns can just be ordered through the mail.

That is cool to see. What caliber is it?
I just finished reading Empire of the Summer Moon. Its about the last days of the Comanche Indians. They were pretty much the military superpower on the plains until the mid 1800's. The typical warrior could fire off six arrows from horseback in the time it would take a soldier to get off one rifle shot and then have to reload. Their horsemanship was un-paralleled as well.

That changed when Walker became one of the first true Texas Rangers. He saw the value in Colt's repeater where no one else did. Colt could hardly even get the military to notice.
Walker sought out Colt, had all sorts of feedback for him, and together they came up with the Colt Walker. I think the book said the originals were something like .50 cal and weighed 7 lbs or something nuts.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Sweet. You gotta get a pilgrim hat and hunt some turkeys!

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Checked out the garden today. There was still snow on it 10 days ago.

Four rhubarbs are already coming up. Those things never quit. There is also an onion at the end of the row coming up. I haven't planted onions in three years. I still get a couple onions every year though.
Strawberry patch is starting to green up.
There's also a little rose bush that I covered in mulch and it survived the winter, so yay!

I did sage a couple years ago and that stuff does not die either. Its now 4 times its original size and expanding outward. Gonna rip up about half of it.
Few other dead things to clean up too.

Raspberries will always come back. Hopefully apples too. The second tree died so pollination is always a bit iffy. Blueberries have been off and on for a few years, checked soil alkalinity, fertilizers, etc. Some years the go gangbusters, some years they almost look dead.

Gonna grab a couple tomatoes and maybe a pepper of some sort and keep the work to a minimum this year.

On another note, I'm in serious trouble I think. I've re-watched Suicide Squad and Justice League and have thought "Hey these aren't that bad the second time around!"
I think there is something wrong with me. I never claimed to have good taste, but jfc, that is a horrible thought to pop into your head.

Oh poo poo, I gotta transplant an aloe too, thanks for the reminder thread!
E: also got some wild blackberry runners in the yard, gotta dig that up while the soil is still soft and before the grasses grow up around it. Just moved to the top of "the list".

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 14, 2020

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

olives black posted:

this post is the strongest I've ever come to wanting a house, my mouth is watering

also rip your taste in movies lol

If you're in an apartment, can you do a little balcony or patio garden? Just a couple pots. That's where I learned half the gardening stuff I know, just dinking around with mini gardens before ever having house/yard/acreage.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
I've got a bunch of DVDs I've collected, probably 150+; been rewatching a bunch of them. It seemed like some were missing but I couldn't put my finger on any specific titles that I couldn't find. Someone in the thread mentioned Westworld. I have season one box set and it was missing! Mission was on this AM to find Westworld and any other missing DVDs. Double checked the house, checked storage in the garage, checked summer cabin. Finally found the missing loot right where I started, at my feet! I have a small foot rest that doubles as storage that floats between the computer and the couch. I forgot it had another 30 DVDs or so.

Got Westworld, LOTR, Predator, 12 Monkeys, Mad Max, Fury Road, Unforgiven, Pale Rider, The Good The Bad The Ugly, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Man on Fire (this movie is insanely intense if that is your thing), a whole run of Aeon Flux apparently, and many more.

I knew I was missing something! And they were literally at my feet. lol

Nice and sunny to work outside today. Lots to watch at nights.

Also doing a stir fry this afternoon.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

spacetoaster posted:

How do you organize the dvds?

Poorly!

Most of them are in three paper grocery bags. If you stack them straight you can get a good 40+ cases in one bag. Its actually pretty good in that they take little space and its easy to look through a bag in a minute or so. They're roughly by genre, but also some favorites are clustered together.

Making a list would be a good idea, to help me remember what I'm missing, or what I already have. It seems I have two standalone copies of LOTR: The Two Towers, and a third as part of a box set. No recollection as to how that happened.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Box set of Carl Sagan's Cosmos. Gonna get my science on!

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Isn’t that woefully out of date

Not really, I think all the fundamentals it addresses are solid. A lot of it focuses on basics, history, discoveries, etc. Some of the future looking stuff we have reached(or still way off) but I'd say that is10% or less of the total series content if memory serves. Its been a couple years since I watched through it but I don't recall anything blatantly out of date or "oops that is totally wrong". The set version I have was put together maybe 10 years ago, and some episodes have an appended intro from Sagan or other folks that worked on the show, addressing how the the episode relates to more current events.

Plus, its Sagan. Dude knows how to chill.

\/\/\/\/\/Edit: Sagan dead in 1996. I knew he was dead, but was thinking it was a lot more recent.... I should add that to the "Old as poo poo" thread; my memory. I ballparked "10 years" off the top of my head thinking it was at least close. I was off by a decade. lol. Extended version was published 2000.

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 24, 2020

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Literally A Person posted:

Just made the fam sauteed mushroom parm sandwiches. They were loving delicious.

Thought this sounded good when I saw it last week, tried it today, and can confirm it was a delicious sandwich.
It was pretty basic though and there is room for improvement. What all did you use LAP?

sourdough bread
standard bulk mushrooms from the store, sliced thin.
goddamn Kraft parmesan in those green bottles. poo poo is horrible for parm I know, will get get fresh next trip to store.
I grated a bit of cheddar in due to the weakness of the parm game.

Sauteed shrooms in butter, bit of salt, melted on the cheeses towards the end.
Threw that onto the bread and continued to cook like a grilled cheese.

Any recommendations for future attempts?

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

This is going to sound super cheesy but I cook mine in a waffle iron to get the best result. For a parm you need at least a little bit of mozzarella. So basically what you end up with is your juicy and tasty sauteed mushrooms with a round of mozz on top and a grating of parm (the canned stuff won't really work so good call on your instinct to grab fresh) If you don'y have access to something like a panini press of waffle iron this is a great sandwich to cook just the way you did it, in the pan. Oh and a dab of marinara. I made mine, but you could always buy it as well.

I've got a George Foreman grill I haven't used in....decades? lol Will give it a go! Mozz and fresh parm next time. I have some frozen pureed tomatoes from the garden from last year so I'll work some of that into marinara. I also poked around allrecipes a bit and may try provolone in place of mozz as well.

Thanks for the details, much appreciated.

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 27, 2020

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
I've been using a little chief (~$50) for years. Use to be my parents. I'd guess its a good 20+ years old. I use it for fish and beef mostly. It'll smoke in about any outside temperature, but won't really dehydrate or cook at winter temps when its 20-30F outside. Has a nice recipe book, gonna try smoking a cheese one of these days.

Edit: batch of beef jerky I posted earlier in the thread:

Internetjack posted:

Pic of jerky from yesterday. Came out wonderful.

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 1, 2020

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

:lol:My water heater just poo poo the loving bed:lol:

If its electric, check the built-in pop-out fuse, and try resetting it. Older one's can trip that, and you can get by for another year+ before it starts popping on the reg.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

It's newer and the bottom seal, you know the one that is loving riveted closed, popped.

oh, well that does indeed suck then. :(

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Drain pump on washing machine making horrible rattling/grinding noise. No water draining from machine.
Siphoned off water, not too much mess. Found a dime, a peso, some weed-whacker string, some carpet string in the reservoir before the pump. Coins look ancient!

Bench tested the pump. Ran smooth!

Re-installed, started a cycle and the thing is rattling/grinding just as loud. No water draining. :( But hey, a dime and a peso!

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

grillster posted:

Sounds like there is a clog upstream and the rattling is just the impeller, assuming you bench tested it wet.

I tested it dry. Just applied AC for about 5 seconds, two different times. Seemed to whir along fine. I can see how it it might seem fine with no load on it now that I think about it. The hose from the main compartment is pretty big diameter, but the thing is 18+ years old. Who knows what is in there. I'll prod around there on the next go. Thanks!

No service people available til end of month.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Internetjack posted:

Drain pump on washing machine making horrible rattling/grinding noise. No water draining from machine.
Siphoned off water, not too much mess. Found a dime, a peso, some weed-whacker string, some carpet string in the reservoir before the pump. Coins look ancient!

Bench tested the pump. Ran smooth!

Re-installed, started a cycle and the thing is rattling/grinding just as loud. No water draining. :( But hey, a dime and a peso!

Got a new drain pump today. $38 off a wholesaler on ebay vs $105 from Frigidaire.

Laundry game is back on!

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
I've been out of work since November. Financially okay for a while, so no worries there. Then covid hit and the local rural economy tanked. I'm actually taking baby steps being a local handyman. Doing woodwork, helping neighbors with firewood, weed-whacking driveways, sharpening chainsaw chains, and whatever comes up. It's all piece-meal and one-off stuff, but I'm enjoying it immensely, working outside or in the shop mostly. A few days a week.

Anyways, made this spice rack from reclaimed redwood. Helped a friend tear down a 30- year old redwood deck and saved a few pieces for the shop. Once the old grey 2x6es were planed down to 1x4es the redwood color really came out again.

I only wish I had saved more.

Just catching up on a lot of SA stuff the last couple weeks, including this thread, and I have to say there is a lot of impressive things goons are doing. The 7 layers of linoleum project had amazing results. I endorse Dell laptops whole-heartedly, check out their refurbished offerings if you want to save 1/4 of the cost. I had one that lasted well over 8 years. Depressed goons hang in there, you deserve to be happy.

Also more archery:

From about 50' out.
Also expecting a fletching jig to show up this week. Been collecting turkey feathers around the woods to make my own vanes and repair my arrows. :)

E: \/\/ Tiny removed. I suck at posting pics. Thought they would be clickable....

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 13, 2020

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Sid you have a lot of love in your heart, it is most excellent.

The local farmer's market shut down due to covid. A couple neighbors have started their own micro-market at the bottom of our road where it meets the county road every Saturday. If I get my poo poo together I may join them. Will post pics if I do, but no promises.

E:

Thanks! It turns out redwood is structurally strong, but really, really soft when it come to sanding. Fun stuff to learn!

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 13, 2020

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Your dog's eye... :(

The gods saw fit to give her a spare!

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

rap music posted:

Workin on the dang house! Here’s a lil bathroom b&a op

Nice work.

Curious on the tub, was it just grimy and needed a good scrubbing, or did you do some kind of whitening?

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

rap music posted:

Rustoleum tub and tile epoxy based paint. Lots of surface prep but the results are pretty great.

Yeah that is an impressive improvement. Good info, thanks. You went to town!

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Started doing some fletching. Mostly to repair existing arrows, but also to redo an old set of shafts that had plastic vanes that have dried out and cracked off. Got an Bohning tower jig that attaches three feathers/vanes at once. Purchased some feathers online as well, but I'm also trying my hand at making my own from all the turkey feathers collected from around the property.

Red and white are the store bought, and the others are my own novice work.

Tools and such.

The jig. Each blue arm holds a feather. The store bought ones work fine. The quality of my hand made ones is a bit lacking. Shaving down to just enough of the quill shaft takes some practice and dexterity.

My first two rebuilds. The third attempt went wrong and had to be started over. Got about 6 more rebuilds to work on. My main set that uses the red and white vanes is now repaired as well. I was down to 5 usable, now back at 11 good arrows for that set.

Pretty fun stuff to fart around with in a cool shop on a hot day.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

spacetoaster posted:

That looks like a pretty good job. When I was getting into bowhunting as a teen I tried it, but gave up.

Now as a middle aged dad I just buy the darn arrows.

I just target shoot. With arrows at $5-$6 a pop though, I figure I've already paid for half the cost of the jig, feathers and glue. And it's something fun to do as well.

bird with big dick posted:

But some of my knives are now very very sharp.

That looks like some pretty high-tech knife sharpening!

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

spacetoaster posted:

I'm picturing you treating your target shooting like the old dudes at the rifle range. Every bullet has been meticulously cast, weighed, measured, etc and marked with a serial number. Statistics on the accuracy of each one are kept in a detailed ledger.

Hah, I'm pretty much the exact opposite; doing my best to maintain my gear at the most basic level of functionality. I should get a pic of my yellow jacket target bag. It's about 8 years old and has been left out in the weather for the last 4 winters. I was literally chipping ice off it back in early spring when I was getting the range opened up a bit sooner than normal. It's faded, splitting at the seams, has some soft spots, etc.

I did join an archery club over the winter though, until covid. Really good instructor that gave me a handful of pointers to work on, and my grouping has improved immensely as a result. The added result of better grouping though is arrows landing on top of each other and tearing up the fletching faster than ever. I figured learning to do my own repairs will be quicker and pay for itself in the long run.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

spacetoaster posted:

I would imagine an outdoor range would be pretty conducive to social distancing. But with archery being your thing, you can probably do that just as well in your back yard.

Yeah, the archery club was at in indoor range in town. I really want to go back and check in with those folks, but cases are spiking locally, and sitting in a low ceilinged range with mediocre ventilation just doesn't appeal right now.
Luckily I have acreage and my own range at home. It's down by a creek, actually shooting across the creek, in the shade of the forest. That's where I'm shooting now. The archery has always been more of a zen meditation thing for me more than a hunting thing. Nice way to chill and relax as needed.

I'll get a pic up later; you'll be jealous. :)

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Gonna need a trip report on them Dr. Pepper Beans. Highly recommend getting some weiners/franks, etc in there.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
More archery nerd pics.

The range. Hay bales are for the lighter weight bows. Yellow Jacket bag in the back is for heavier bows.

Bridges over the creek. Old bridge on the right is a trap for fools and miscreants. Use the bridge on the left to stay dry.

Rack. Holds bows and arrows.

Close up of beverage holder. Featuring La Croix, cause it is not responsible to drink alcohol or smoke huge amounts of weed at the range.

Also, more shop work:

Made an end table. Blue pine. Routed/roundover bit on the top today and started a clear polyurethane coat.

And also, yoga kicks rear end. I started about 6 years ago and my first thought was, "Holy poo poo I wish I started this 10 years ago."

Empty Sandwich posted:

this is really cool.
the guy had a double Robin Hood in his shop: one aluminum arrow inside a second inside a third. (I think Dad's still got one inside another in his garage. I never managed that, though I broke my share of nocks.)

Thanks! It is a lot of fun to fuss around with. Haven't robin hooded yet, but loving up nocks and fletching is getting normal.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
You can totally electric fence the turkeys. We put one around my mom's mini-orchard to keep bears from climbing over the 8' fencing to eat the applies. The electric is set about 3' further out than that, 3 levels of wire low medium and high with the high being around waist-high, surrounds the orchard fence at about 40' x 40'. There are also raspberries along one side. It is funny as hell when a turkey walks into. "Ruffles the feathers" so to speak, but hasn't killed one.

Otherwise shotgun those bastards. Take the breast meat, throw the rest to the coyotes. Also, use the feathers to make your own fletching.

Turkeys are cool and neat to watch and all that, but I can live without their grease gun shits.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Getting out on the water is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Some of us live near civilization, thank you.

That is okay. All the cool kids live no where near civilization though. I hope that is not too tough a break for you!.

Gonna go eat pizza with my visiting sister, bil, psychotic 8 year old niece and her spastic friend. Mom and pops too. Then a campfire in a bit. Maybe roast some marshmellows. Suppose to be a meteor shower somewhere tonight, gonna look for that. Spent the day on the lake boating and swimming.