Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I haven’t gotten my Trump bux yet I hope I get them soon I have many important purchases to make that will contribute greatly to the United States economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

poo poo needs to reopen immediately because I really want to hit the all you can eat Korean barbecue joint and pound about 3 kilograms of bulgogi and galbi down my gullet.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Fatkraken posted:

making poo poo to sell on Etsy

Are these suitable for internal use

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I been making a lot of Costco ribeye and working on my plating skills

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I might make a tri-tip roast tomorrow. There's a good chance I might be horribly depressed and not do it though.

I like tri-tip and finally found a place here that actually sells it.

My buddies back in IA are always cranky that they can never find it.

I don't think I'd ever even heard of it until I moved to Nevada in 2012. I like try tips because you make the fat end rare or medium rare and you'll have some of the pointy end that's medium well for any old people or idiots that you might be dining with.

I'm smoking a brisket. And it looks like my temp is dropping bad, might be low on charcoal, good think my loving cat woke me up at 4 AM for no reason.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Casu Marzu posted:

Made Kenji's Pan Pizza tonight. Stupid easy and delicious. Gonna be so fat by the time quarantine is over.

Detroit style is the motherfucking bomb. That looks amazing.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Big Beef City posted:

160 is a perfect time to start crutching it if you're doing that and you prob wouldn't even need to add more to the pit, just let residual carry you over. GL you big dicked bird

Yep, I did exactly that. I'm at 194 now.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Does anyone have any pointers about how to get my sister in law to watch me play a video game about loving pigeons

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Derpies posted:

You using an electric smoker or poking coals every half hour like a true bird with a big dick?

Charcoal but it's a kamado so it's pretty efficient and after two overnight smokes went awry I sprung for the digital fan controller thing so now it's mostly just loading it up and then ignoring it for the next 12 hours.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah I got a large BGE I've had for 7 years or so I think. I kinda wish I had a Kamado Joe though. I don't know from experience but the seal and the hinges on the Kamado Joe's seem like they're a better design and higher quality than what I've got. Maybe the vents also. I'm not sure Kamado Joe even existed in 2012 or 2013 though, I definitely hadn't heard of them.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Time to sit wrapped in a cooler until lunchtime.

e: if any barbecue or thermal mass nerds want to watch the grill and the meat slowly cool off:

https://myflameboss.com/cooks/902158

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 1, 2020

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Elephant Ambush posted:

Poorly phrased. We all "played" the "game" together, voting on all the choices. It was cheap stupid fun and it replaced Drunk lovely Movie Night. It was a welcome change of pace.

Why not Doki Doki Literature Club?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ranidas posted:

I just use a gas grill for my grilling needs, but having extra time during quarantine has made me curious about smoking. The BGE and Kamodo grills you guys are talking about look like they're about $1200 though? drat, that is a bit steep for something that I'm not sure how much time I'd have to use after things go back to normal.

Grilled some chicken breast on my non-smoking plebian gas grill last night and made a nice salad with it for lunch today.

The expensive ones are expensive because they have 150-400+ pounds of ceramics in them. Which is nice for maintaining temperature due to all the thermal mass but they don't actually insulate any better than double walled insulated steel like a $270 Akorn Kamado. You may need to add something to the Akorn for indirect (barbecue or baking type temps). Not sure. I think the Kamado Joe things come with it but for BGEs its a $100-150 ceramic "plate setter." Some people just use some fire bricks or a secondary grill grate with a pan of water beneath it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Big Beef City posted:

My microwave is a convection oven as well as being a regular microwave and it owns because I can make roast potatoes and such in it while using the oven for other things.

In other news my home made sauerkraut was done today so I tried that with lunch and it turned out awesome, plus my wife made french onion soup for scratch so we had that and home made bread, too so it was like a whole drat 'from scratch' production of things you don't always get that way and it was real cool.

When I was house shopping in 2017 I wrote these off as "just a microwave" but we ended up with a wall unit with one anyway (the bottom is a regular full size oven, top is a big microwave/convection oven, basically half the size of the real oven below).

Anyway the point is they loving own. Mine goes from room temp to 325-350 degrees in like 3 minutes and is perfect for reheating pizza or chicken wings or anything. Great for thanksgiving type poo poo because you can use the bottom oven to keep things warm and the top oven to warm them up or vice versa or whatever.

In retrospect while we were house shopping there was this subdivision where all the houses had a wall oven that has bottom full size oven and top convection/microwave PLUS they had a regular stove, like with the oven on the bottom and the burners on the top (unlike my house which just has burners on the counter since the oven is a wall unit).

Anyway the point is that these houses had two full size ovens plus the half size convection oven/microwave, and I wish I had that because why not? What's it add to the cost of a house? $1000 bucks to a 500,000 dollar house? who cares? Every house should have 2.5 ovens in the kitchen plus a backup oven in the garage and maybe also one in the yard.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I made my tri-tip finally. It was a prepackaged one because it's not a thing out here so no butchers have it. I was lucky to find a store that sold these last year. I found a butcher that sold them a few years ago but it's an hour drive and I'm not going to drive that far for a cheap cut of meat. I took it out at 135F but I must have measured it in the wrong spot somehow because it wasn't pink at all.

Anyway, maybe 6-8 oz of sweet and spicy tri-tip, 1/2 of a large potato with Brummel and Brown yogurt margarine stuff, frozen (steamed) broccoli cuts with some cheese sauce I made with a little velveeta, milk, garlic powder, and pepper. Holy poo poo was all of this salty. The velveeta sure but also the tri-tip.

It came out to around 635 calories. For breakfast I had 2 hard boiled eggs, and for lunch I had a cup of cottage cheese. I had to struggle to eat at least something during the day because of broke brains but after a few energy drinks I pulled off dinner!

Also mowed the lawn for the first time this year.

1. My local butcher takes tri tips and sticks them in a bag with their own marinade and they always end up too salty. The thing with marinades is you either spice them like they're gonna be cooked that afternoon or you spice them like they're gonna be cooked in 2 days and if its the former it's overseasoned and if its the latter its underseasoned. This local butcher has great flavor in the marinade but its just an exercise in futility in general.

2. Doing tri tips in an oven or on a grill (i.e. 400+ degrees) you're gonna get a temp rise of around 10F after you pull it. So that 135 med rare turned into a 145 med well. It depends on the temp of the heat source (e.g. 400 oven vs 600+ grill) but 10 degrees rise is kinda the average from my experience. And a tri tip at 145 isn't bad. But its still better at 135. And when you temp probe the middle part of a tri tip to end at 135 it means the pointy end of it hit 165. Which is fine to serve a mixed crowd but it means you probably want to err on the rare side for the fat part.

C. Smoking tri tips loving owns (i.e. low and slow at 225) but its kind of a lot of work. Like setting up a smoker to smoke a pork rear end or a brisket for 12 hours is the norm but it takes just as much work to smoke a tri tip and it only smokes for 3 hours and weighs 1/10th as much so it seems like a lot of work per pound of meat. Plus you still gotta sear it because otherwise you're eating this weird gray lump of meat with no surface texture.

5. Smoking tri tips owns but reverse searing big rear end ribeyes or NY also owns. 250-275 in the oven until they're 220 or so and then let them rest a bit and then sear them on a cast iron hotter than the gate of hell. You don't get any charcoal flavor but you do get a steak that is the perfect temperature with a perfect sear. About 2" thick is the best for this IMO. Thinner and it's easy to overcook and thicker you might as well just be doing a loving rib roast.

f. People that are out west mind the different between trimmed and untrimmed. An untrimmed $2.79/lb tri tip on sale isn't automatically a better deal than 4.49/lb trimmed tri tip. I've bought and trimmed a shitload of 30 pound bags of untrimmed tri tips and you lose a massive amount to trimming.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It's not burnt, Detroit style always looks like that it's caramelization.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I made shrimp and pork belly char siu fried rice.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What the fucks a diorama

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I bought $800 worth of knives.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Moo the cow posted:

Two knives that cost $400 each

This. I been watching too much Forged in Fire during the quarantine.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Potatoes are a chump plant you can buy them for 20 cents a pounds and they taste exactly the same, plant tomatoes they’re expensive and the store ones taste like cardboard.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You can buy purple ones at the grocery store what kinda potato you got that's weirder than that. Dazzle me.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Moo the cow posted:

To hang on the wall or to defend your apartment from invading horders?

One of them is a cleaver so it'll probably get used at least a little in the kitchen. The other is a bowie so it'll just be for threatening family members I disagree with or whatever.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Outrail posted:

1km2 is not a garden. 1km2 is a farm crop. Unless you're eating your body weight in strawberries every week.

Yeah my dad had a huge garden and grew virtually everything for a family of 5 and it was like 1 to 1.5 acres which is like 0.004 to 0.006 square km.

As he aged (and moved) it got smaller and smaller and he cut out the less important poo poo and it has achieved its final form which is about 2500 square feet of sweet corn and 1500 square feet of green beans.

I've got 1/2 an acre lot but it's sloped pretty heavily so I just plant a dozen tomatoes in the flat spot and a few random things here and there (some eggplant and squash so far this year).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bread chat: my wife has some 15 year old piece of poo poo bread maker that you could probably get at a thrift store for $2 and she dumps poo poo in there and lets it mix it and proof it and rise it and poo poo and then she takes it out and puts it in a bread pan and bakes it just so it doesn't end up as a stupid shape with a hole in the middle.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I'm sous viding a NY strip even though I know that doing it at 275 in the oven instead is better because it makes the surface dry which lets you get a better sear on it.

We'll see how it turns out.

Also planning on making fresh pasta which I will probably turn into mac and cheese for a side but it depends on how lazy and/or intoxicated I get before the steak is done.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Flower chat: my columbines reseeded themselves well so I've got pink ones in a planter on the deck and blue ones in the yard:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Mmmmm

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

This looks so loving good. My girlfriend made a pretty good london broil last night, but that looks so drat delicious.

It was good. Sous vide at 125 for 2 or 3 hours then seared in smoking hot cast iron.

I've been doing reverse sear for many years, sous vide at first but then switched to doing it in the oven at 275. The thinking is generally that the oven gets the surface dry so that you get a super good sear on it, whereas sous vide does not do that. So I hadn't sous vide one for probably 3+ years.

But now I'm not so sure that the oven is really better, this one turned out awful good. And this one really would have been too small to do well in the oven, when I do it in the oven it's always monster 2" thick ribeyes.

They're both great ways to cook a steak, that's for sure.

I've tried every single way you can cook a steak basically (charcoal, gas, smoker, searing on the 1000 degree sear burner on my grill, etc) and sous vide or ~250-275 oven and then cast iron in whatever oil you got with the highest smoke point is the best IMO. I thought sous vide and then sear burner on the grill would be the best but flare up are an issue and I just can't get a super nice crust on it without also getting too much char.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I';ve got two big kielbasa U's chilling in the freezer for the right corona occasion.

I used to work at a remote mining site and one of the chefs made these loving amazing singapore style noodles and would incorporate whatever protein he happened to have and it was frequently kielbasa and it was amazing.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Costco NY strip loin hacked into chunks (the huge one is because it was the end of the loin and I didn't want to cut it into two smaller ones)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’m sharpening knives.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I have cut myself twice.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

But some of my knives are now very very sharp.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Last Thanksgiving someone broke the tip off it but I fixed it by grinding it down.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I bought a small Shi.han knife but I’m saving it for last so the stones are more broken in. I’m kind of worried about it though because I haven’t used it that much and the last time I used it it was super dull.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Big Beef City posted:

Shun damascus that still has the tip?
You just take it out of the box? :p

I hadn’t heard of this and I kind of assumed one of my nephews mistreated it or something but now that you said that and I’ve googled it there’s a lot of “yeah mine broke of when I dropped it into the sink from a height of 3 inches” or “I bumped mine against the faucet and the tip snapped off” so thank you BBC you have caused me to stop hating one of my nephews unjustly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I was about to buy two kayaks from costco right when the roni really ramped up and we kinda forgot about it.

I am now trying to talk my wife into buying a 21' powerboat because roni quarantining has made me too fat to kayak.