Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

reignofevil posted:

Let me know how it's going from time to time! Are you thinking more fictionalized life-events or trying something totally new?

it's similar but more based on my adult years. I also have ideas that are totally different from that and aren't based on my real life at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

wesflarger posted:

you didn't even read it you obsequious swine

even your posts are florid

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

wesflarger posted:

you didn't even read it you obsequious swine

I actually did try to read and couldn't muster the strength to get past the second paragraph. It reads like an angry 15 year old's blog. Sorry broseph.

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

are you not entertained?

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

bradzilla posted:

I actually did try to read and couldn't muster the strength to get past the second paragraph. It reads like an angry 15 year old's blog. Sorry broseph.

That's actually exactly what I was going for. HAHA you read the first paragraph and you can't unread it now. The protagonist is a whiny teenager and it reads as such deliberately.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

wesflarger posted:

are you not entertained?

I'm gay

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Writing and re-writing, giving out sections to an appropriate Creative Convention thread, getting your rear end punched in, rewriting and rewriting some more, trepidatiously giving out your newest drafts to a small circle of readers, knowing in your hearts of hearts that its still not good enough, gotta put more work in that will probably only bear fruit in your next book or the one after it

Or i could just make a post in gbs about a clearly unfinished and unedited wall of screeds and call everyone a malignant

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Torquemada posted:

I fell out with a friend of mine permanently because he wrote a book that was basically him as the main character having bullshit small town adventures. He whored it to me by email, by text, by facebook, by whatever self publishing marketplace he was using. Eventually, I just blocked him out of my life just so I wouldn’t have to listen to his moaning about why I hadn’t bought his $20(!) self published autofellatio manual. All that, so I didn’t have to explain to him that he was a talentless hack, and that I wouldn’t have read his loving book if he’d been paying me instead.

You had a chance to support a friend for only $20 and you blew it. LOL that's the price of like one lunch

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

wesflarger posted:

That's actually exactly what I was going for. HAHA you read the first paragraph and you can't unread it now. The protagonist is a whiny teenager and it reads as such deliberately.

:chloe:

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Shageletic posted:

Writing and re-writing, giving out sections to an appropriate Creative Convention thread, getting your rear end punched in, rewriting and rewriting some more, trepidatiously giving out your newest drafts to a small circle of readers, knowing in your hearts of hearts that its still not good enough, gotta put more work in that will probably only bear fruit in your next book or the one after it

Or i could just make a post in gbs about a clearly unfinished and unedited wall of screeds and call everyone a malignant

i don't take it nearly that seriously its just a stupid e-book written by some random whiny rear end bitch that happens to be me lol

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

i'm touched that you feel comfortable enough with me to come out to me. the hardest part is telling your parents

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

yeah thats right you have no response so post a gif of an ugly confused aryan chipmunk

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

you have brain damage op

:therapy:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

bradzilla posted:

you have brain damage op

:therapy:

why do you think this exactly?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

wesflarger posted:

why do you think this exactly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EngT3zJnAZE

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
OP, never lose that boundless self-confidence and shameless love of self-promotion because that really is the best way to get ahead in life.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

If I were Burt I would be so proud of this video

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

I have brain damage for being amused at my rule breaking on a website? You've got a severe delusion of grandeur. You are the brain damaged one, bresus

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Pick posted:

You had a chance to support a friend for only $20 and you blew it. LOL that's the price of like one lunch

Jon, is that you?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

wesflarger posted:

I have brain damage for being amused at my rule breaking on a website? You've got a severe delusion of grandeur. You are the brain damaged one, bresus

"""""""amused"""""""

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

wesflarger posted:

yeah thats right you have no response so post a gif of an ugly confused aryan chipmunk

what the gently caress is this

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Honky Dong Country posted:

what the gently caress is this

Someone who is absolutely not turning into a corncob. Honest.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
OP you started off strong, but this isn't how you greet your fans.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

OP I edited your book

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

OP you started off strong, but this isn't how you greet your fans.

I have fans?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I guess you could say this thread truly is...something awful

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

the good news is we can keep telling OP to gently caress off and it clearly wont stop him giving Lowtax money

gently caress off OP

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Thanks for the pats on the back, gang. Check out my band too while you're at it.

https://septicbaptism.bandcamp.com/

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

wesflarger posted:

Thanks for the pats on the back, gang. Check out my band too while you're at it.

https://septicbaptism.bandcamp.com/

What does your band think of your book

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

in seriousness gbs are unappreciative but most users are lurkers. your audience aren't itt, you gotta buy some banner ads son.

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
what the gently caress are you even talking about

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

OP, never lose that boundless self-confidence and shameless love of self-promotion because that really is the best way to get ahead in life.

Ironically I'm not very confident at all but the self promotion has absolutely drawn many goons in like moths to a flame just to insult me in any way and I legitimately am very entertained by it. Of course, I would prefer positive feedback but that's nowhere near as fun as reading the insults.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
you could always try to re-write the book and make it better

does that count as positive feedback?

maybe try switching to 3rd person limited perspective, might make the character seem less whiny and annoying

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

wesflarger posted:

what the gently caress are you even talking about

You'll understand when youre older.

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
get old bitch

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Zippy the Bummer posted:

you could always try to re-write the book and make it better

does that count as positive feedback?

maybe try switching to 3rd person limited perspective, might make the character seem less whiny and annoying

Not really but it is feedback. I'm not changing the perspective. I want everything to be from the perspective of an angsty teenager. It's "whiny" or "complain-y" on purpose because that's what I was like as a teen and so are most teenagers.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

wesflarger posted:

Ironically I'm not very confident at all but the self promotion has absolutely drawn many goons in like moths to a flame just to insult me in any way and I legitimately am very entertained by it.

Would you say that we are like puppets dancing at the end of your strings?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So... your bandmates haven't read it then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

wesflarger posted:

Not really but it is feedback. I'm not changing the perspective. I want everything to be from the perspective of an angsty teenager. It's "whiny" or "complain-y" on purpose because that's what I was like as a teen and so are most teenagers.

the only people who want to read that are other angsty teens, and they have a wealth of blogs on the internet exactly about that (for free).

consider perhaps twisting the characters and setting so that it doesn't read like a blog post memoir. swap the genders of the characters, or add more, move it to a different country, or even a different time period. make it a story that is informed by your experiences rather than about them and your thoughts specifically.

or just make it a straight memoir with no poetic license or flourish