Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Arkansas! The Delaware of the South. Nobody ever thinks about it but this little state has had some surprising impacts on the history of the United States!

-Arkansas, like Kansas and Missouri, was settled in the early 1800s. All three territories-cum-states had the opportunity to be admitted to the Union as free states, but thanks to smart politics by men such as Henry Clay, they were all admitted as slave states!

-When schools nationwide were forced to desegregate in 1957, the Little Rock school district decided that they would implement this by sending a total of nine black students to the central high school. They were abused physically and verbally by the white students in the school and white adults outside. The school district decided to resolve the issue by shutting down all schools for a year!

-Bill Clinton is from Arkansas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Kansas is pronounced can zas
Arkansas is pronounced are can saw

explain.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

big nipples big life posted:

Kansas is pronounced can zas
Arkansas is pronounced are can saw

explain.

Cans rear end
Arkan sauce

That’s how I’m sayin it gently caress everyone else. :colbert:

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
I've never been to USA. Is it any good?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

serious norman posted:

parts of it are very good.

not the parts in the OP though.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Arkansas City, KS is pronounced "Are-can-zas". Craziness.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Arkansas has a tourism industry based around a diamond mine.

And if you look at a dirt poor shithole like Arkansas and think, "Hmmm, there must be diamonds there!" then you're just the right kind of idiot to vacation in Arkansas.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

If Arkansas were a European country, I think it would be. . . Romania. Who'se with me

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Arkansas is actually pretty cool and interesting if you’re into geology and nature. Amazing caves to go tour, fossils and crystals to find (and diamonds), and really pretty state parks in general.

Just steer clear of all the hellish white flight suburban sprawl.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I went to Fayetteville once. I liked it. Very pretty.

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Sam Walton opened the first Walmart in 1962 in Rogers, Arkansas. This company would grow through two mechanisms. It could sell cheap, low quality products by using cheap, unregulated labor overseas, cutting under local businesses. This same cheap labor put American manufacturing out of business, forcing the newly underemployed postindustrial population to find the cheapest goods they possibly could- at Walmart! Walmart is now the largest company by revenue in the world.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Arkansas the Natural

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Cans rear end
Arkan sauce

That’s how I’m sayin it gently caress everyone else. :colbert:

ark and saw and cans rear end here.

also arkansas sucks

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Charles Portis is one of my favorite American writers and he was from Arkansas. altho i dont think any of his books take place there except for True Grit and even that is mostly Oklahoma

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

PTSDeedly Do posted:

Sam Walton opened the first Walmart in 1962 in Rogers, Arkansas. This company would grow through two mechanisms. It could sell cheap, low quality products by using cheap, unregulated labor overseas, cutting under local businesses. This same cheap labor put American manufacturing out of business, forcing the newly underemployed postindustrial population to find the cheapest goods they possibly could- at Walmart! Walmart is now the largest company by revenue in the world.

Rogers is next to Fayetteville. While I was there, I went to the first Walmart. I had never been to one before. Then my friend took me to what, at the time, was the biggest Walmart. It was pretty big. There was a display of 12 packs of coke and diet coke. It spelled out Go Razorbacks or something similar. It was very long.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's better than Alabama.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I agree. The one thing I didn't much like about Arkansas was how white it was. 99% of the people I saw were white. It was just a strange experience after growing up in a very culturally diverse city.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Comedy genius Mike Huckabee was governor there once.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I pronounce it as ARE cans rear end, and I fight anyone who says I'm wrong.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

serious norman posted:

no

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

Well this is where my kinfolks is from. Jonesboro sucks rear end, the eastern part of the state is insanely boring. I got an aunt that lives up in the Ozarks though, and it's beautiful up there. Lots of places to hike, rivers to kayak in, caves to explore, etc.

That said, last time I went to visit I saw a man with ol' Dixie tattooed on both shoulders and across his back.

In short, nuke the state imo

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Op, no politix in gbs. Thanks

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

serious norman posted:

None of the landlocked states are worth visiting. At least half of the coastal ones aren't either.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I dropped a street view randomly into arkansas and found this:

pretty cool state, OP

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Need to increase our patreon contributions so Lowtax can replace the SA office windows.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

PTSDeedly Do posted:

-When schools nationwide were forced to desegregate in 1957, the Little Rock school district decided that they would implement this by sending a total of nine black students to the central high school. They were abused physically and verbally by the white students in the school and white adults outside. The school district decided to resolve the issue by shutting down all schools for a year!

This only became an issue because it was manufactured as an issue. The mayor of Little rock called up the National guard like " Holy poo poo man, you gotta send protection, shits gonna get so bad" and they were all " wtf? We haven't heard a single thing". Also, dude bussed in people from all over to "protest"., and create drama.

So, the whole thing is less on Arkansas, and more on one racist rear end in a top hat.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Did you know that part of Memphis is actually in Arkansas? Whether or not you knew that, you’re probably not surprised to find out that it’s the lovely part of Memphis.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Squalid posted:

If Arkansas were a European country, I think it would be. . . Romania. Who'se with me

Oh, that could be a neat game. Thinking more Balkans. Arkansas=Albania. Maybe West Virginia can be Romania.

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

madeintaipei posted:

Oh, that could be a neat game. Thinking more Balkans. Arkansas=Albania. Maybe West Virginia can be Romania.

New York is the UK? Heavily divided and dominated by a metropole?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Northwest Arkansas (Fayetteville, Bentonville, Rogers) is pretty great though. Tons of jobs, great school systems, cheap real estate, and really good amenities like museums, parks, trails, food, etc. The population skews significantly younger, more diverse , and more liberal than the rest of the state.

Crystal Bridges Museums are really excellent, we have hundreds of miles of paved bike trail, and growing nightlife in all of the cities. I travel a decent bit for work and can’t really imagine living anywhere else. The cost of living is so low compared to all the perks.

The rest of the state is a complete shithole of racism, drugs, murder, and aggressively religious assholes. Little Rock is a cheap redneck Detroit where you constantly feel like you are going to get jumped. Hot Springs is Boomer Austin and has swarms of loving mosquitoes. North/Northeast Arkansas still acts like its 1957 and there are white only parts of cities (or whole cities).

Come to NWA and you’ll have a great time. But don’t go anywhere else.

Waltzing Along posted:

I agree. The one thing I didn't much like about Arkansas was how white it was. 99% of the people I saw were white. It was just a strange experience after growing up in a very culturally diverse city.

Depending on where you are this is definitely a thing. As I mentioned above, North/Northeast Arkansas is the home of the Klan and many local govts act like segregation is still legal. Little Rock has very stark real estate segregation where there are many neighborhoods that are all white or all black. South Arkansas is just poor as dirt and has a lot of former farming families. Fort Smith and NWA are fairly diverse due to university, economy, and refugees during the Korean and Vietnam wars.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 17, 2020

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Laslow posted:

Did you know that part of Memphis is actually in Arkansas? Whether or not you knew that, you’re probably not surprised to find out that it’s the lovely part of Memphis.

Memphis is the lovely part of Memphis.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

PTSDeedly Do posted:

New York is the UK? Heavily divided and dominated by a metropole?

Spot-on.

Germany has got to be Texas.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Separated by a river from a bunch of french speakers they hate doesn't seem enough a match.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ew, let's not.

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

madeintaipei posted:

Spot-on.

Germany has got to be Texas.

Brute Hole Force posted:

Separated by a river from a bunch of french speakers they hate doesn't seem enough a match.

I mean it’s either Texas or California, despite the fact that California wishes it was France.

Florida is Russia

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man
i lived in northwest arkansas for a year and a half and didn't understand the hype yeah sure it was cheap and the outside stuff was really cool the first few times. Great city to spend a week or two in but I was losing my drat mind living there. all the people i met over 25 were either christian fundies with big families or burnouts/alcoholics from other parts of the state. doesn't help that the entire culture of the city is non-existent/based around college sports/fast food restaurants. can't imagine anyone who has ever lived in a real city wanting to live there even if it is "cheap".

grew up in little rock and spent a lot of time there. went back to visit a friend of mine in october. sad that pizza d's is gone and white water has become what it is. oyster bar on markham also went from being good and cheap to pricier than most places where i live now. and the area around midtown gentrified, wtf. sure LR is a shithole but it's my shithole.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
have you ever seen the "christ of the ozarks" state in eureka springs, AR? well, now you have!

site of many sunday school field trips. little do people know that it was built as part of a planned christian theme park by this guy, gerald l.k. smith, back in the 1950s, before he ran out of money:

who was mr. smith? a fundamentalist circuit preacher and political "activist" from the 1930s. you can figure out where this is going:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE3pFq4VeDA

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lawlicaust posted:

Depending on where you are this is definitely a thing. As I mentioned above, North/Northeast Arkansas is the home of the Klan and many local govts act like segregation is still legal. Little Rock has very stark real estate segregation where there are many neighborhoods that are all white or all black. South Arkansas is just poor as dirt and has a lot of former farming families. Fort Smith and NWA are fairly diverse due to university, economy, and refugees during the Korean and Vietnam wars.
i do hear NW arkansas is nice. but yeah harrison, to the east, is a white supremacist hub and is specifically a "PLE" which is neo-nazi code for a settlement area, so those people literally move out there to live around other white supremacists. the more you know.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I visited Hot Springs for a weekend and did some hiking in Ouachita National Forest. I had a good time, but coming from Louisiana drat near anything is an improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
I knew a girl from Arkansas and she would pee herself everytime she got drunk. I got her a job at a liquor store and she would get shitfaced all day off stolen 99 schnapps. left that fuckin' store lmao.