Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

andalite feels like the one kids would rush to pick, so it's probably the trap option, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Joke’s on all you fuckers, they’re BOTH the trap morph! :haw:

The Next Passage – Chapter 9 (Andalite)

quote:

<Go for it!> Jake yells.

Go for it? You can’t! Not until you morph.

You look at Ax. Andalite, you think. Morph an Andalite.

Muscles ripple across your legs, adding bulk and definition at the same time. An extra pair of legs sprout from your hips and muscle up with shocking speed.

FLUMMP! You fall forward on all fours.

You can hardly believe the effortless power. It’s like turning into Schwarzenegger without even doing a single crunch.

You feel a distant almost-pain as the Andalite tail stretches out from the base of your spine. Growing, growing, growing until it is almost as long as your body. You hold it up off the ground.

SPLING!

The blade edge is the last part of the tail to burst out. It glimmers in the dull Iskoort sunlight.

Your stalk eyes grow out of your skull like an antenna rising out of an expensive sports car. You hear the eyeballs pop out on the ends.

Paamp! Poomp!

Suddenly you can see everywhere at once. Up. Down. Left. Right. Front. Back. All 360 degrees.

Behind you, Iskoort. Some watching the fight. The others going about their business of buying and selling. To either side, steep drops off the edge of the platform.

In front of you, the others surging forward. Rushing the Howler as a group. Tobias in the air.

Jake leaping. Cassie running low to the ground. Rachel galloping forward on all fours. Ax moving swiftly to the Howler’s right. Marco moving surprisingly fast on his bowed legs.

You don’t know what to do! How can you help the others? But then the Andalite mind wells up under your own. The mind is arrogant, almost cocky. Result: Your panic fades. You are ready for battle. The Andalite mind is calculating, thinking strategically. You need to get in close. That’s the only way you can use your tail.

You run forward, hooves thundering against the smooth Iskoort pavement. You feel clumsy and unsure. Having a strange new body is like playing a video game when you’re not sure how all of the controls work.

“Hhhhhrrroooowwwwrrrr!” Jake roars as he leaps.

You are there! In the battle. Moving onto the Howler’s left. You flex your massive tail muscle and let it rip.

FWAAPP!

You stumble sideways, knocked off balance with the impact.

The Howler’s hand drops. The weapon clatters down. But before the weapon stops rolling, the hand is growing back!

You draw back for another strike. But your tail hits Marco’s chest, drawing blood.

<Watch it!> Marco shouts.

<Draw your tail back over your own body!> Ax instructs.

<Sorry!> you yell.

Then the Howler lets loose.

“KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-row.”

The sound is a blast like nothing you’ve ever heard.

Cassie howls in pain.

“KEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-row.”

Jake misses his leap and falls in a tangle on the steps. Rachel trips and falls, landing on top of Jake. Tobias is falling out of the air.

Everything blurs. A swirling, mad, red, blur. You reel and run! You clasp your strange Andalite fingers over your ears and feel blood seeping between your fingers.

“KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-row.”

The third howl knocks you to your knees.

You die with blood flowing from your eyes and ears. Howlers are weapons designed to kill sentient species.

The Next Passage – Chapter 10 (Komodo dragon)

quote:

<Attack!> Jake yells.

You concentrate on the Komodo dragon. Drawing up a mental picture of the creature is easy enough. You once saw an hour-long special about the dragons on PBS.

Your skin dries and thickens. Then, rapidly, it turns Godzilla-green and pebbly. Your fingers lengthen and your fingernails grow pointed and sharp.

Your tongue is stretching, narrowing until it hangs down over your chin. You watch in horror as the tip splits in two and the entire thing turns yellow. The tongue twitches. Without thinking, you slurp it into your mouth.

Food!

You spin around.
The wind is coming from behind you and it carries the smell of rotting flesh. Half a mile away is something dead, something you can eat. You start to trot toward it. The dragon’s mind is simple, ancient. A predator’s mind. Focused on only one thing: food.

You run forward on your half-human, half-dragon feet. That way - the sweet, rotting smell is coming from there.

No…

Wait! This isn’t what you’re supposed to be doing. With an effort, you force yourself to stop running. You gain control over the dragon’s mind.

By now your jaw has shot out and filled up with large, curved, jagged teeth.

Your neck gets bigger and bigger. You lower yourself down on all fours as an enormous tail begins to stretch out from the base of your spine.

ERG! ERG! ERG! ERG!

The tail spurts out in bursts.

One foot! Two feet! Three feet! Four feet!

FWAAPP!

Ax and the Howler are already fighting.

Tobias hurtles down on the Howler from above, talons outstretched.

You hear a clatter as the Howler drops a weapon. The sound is strange, distorted. Your ears have shriveled up and disappeared.

Cassie is fully wolf now. She runs forward, teeth bared. Marco lumbers forward on gorilla legs. Your eyes migrate to the sides of your head. Through the dragon eyes, the colors of the Legoland look washed out. Then -

Movement!

<More Howlers!> you yell in thought-speak. <They’re coming down the stairs!>

“Hhhhhrrroooowwwwrrrr!” Jake roars as he leaps.

Rachel barrels ahead on all fours.

Then one of the Howlers lets loose.

“KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-row.”

Cassie howls in pain. Jake misses his leap and falls in a tangle on the steps. Rachel trips and falls, landing on top of Jake. Tobias falls out of the air. Ax is reeling, running.
You hear … nothing.

Yes!

The dragon’s hearing is somehow insensitive to the Howlers’ most powerful weapon.

The Howlers are circling the others.

You have to attack! The dragon’s mind resists. The dragon wants to find someplace and hide. Find someplace and wait until the prey draws near….

“KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-row.”

Marco swings a fist, hitting a Howler on his arm and spinning the creature sideways. The Howler twirls around on his weird waist and brings up a weapon.

F-t-t-t-t-t-t!

He fires! A dozen steel darts, tiny triangles, whiz through the air. A bloody hole appears in Marco’s back. He drops like a load of bricks.

Cassie recovers enough to bound into action. The Howler raises the gun, but too slow. Wolf jaws clamp down on the arm and Cassie holds on like a bulldog, ripping, tearing.

You force the dragon forward. You move fast, your claws making a sound like a muffled machine gun. All you can see are the Howlers’ lava-like feet. You bite with your strong jaws. Rip at the exposed flesh with your claws.

Nothing.

No cry of pain.

Is the Howler even hurt?

You can’t tell.

Yet the dragon mind is satisfied, ready to rest. The dragon knows these Howlers will die. Your bite contains a poison. The Howlers will grow weak in a few days’ time.

A few days? You don’t have that long!

One of the Howlers draws his flechette gun. He shoots triangular steel darts at you.

You are killed before you can morph out.

The rare “both choices lead to a game over” story fork. You gotta love it! So now we have to go back all the way to Decision Point 3A where our choices are:

• Andalite, shark, Komodo dragon.
  • Fly, hawk, Hork-Bajir.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

nine-gear crow posted:

The rare “both choices lead to a game over” story fork. You gotta love it! So now we have to go back all the way to Decision Point 3A where our choices are:

• Andalite, shark, Komodo dragon.
  • Fly, hawk, Hork-Bajir.

Dammit, I knew I should’ve voted Team Bird… :ducksiren:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I appologize for speeding things up somewhat exponentially, but I can tell everyone just wants this to be over with as much as I do too. Fear not though, we’re on the home stretch.

The Next Passage – Chapter 11

quote:

You’re behind Jake, Cassie, and Marco as their bodies begin to grow muscles, fur, and claws. You can hear Tobias’s wings fluttering above you as he gains altitude.

Ax and the Howler face off, circling each other for half a turn. Then -

FWAPP!

Ax slashes out with his tail blade, knocking the Howler in the shoulder. Spinning him around on his weird lazy-Susan waist.

The Howler uses the momentum to bring up a weapon. A Dracon beam. He fires. Ax dodges. The shot goes wide.

You’re confused. Everything is happening so fast! You’ve only morphed once. And you’ve never been in battle before. “What should I morph?” you demand.

Nobody answers.

The Howler aims again. Point-blank at Ax’s head.

“Ax, go left!” Erek yells from his place under the steps.

Tobias swoops out of the air with his claws forward, aiming for the Howler’s sky-blue eyes. The Howler brings up a hand, moves sideways.

Hawk, you decide.

“Six more Howlers,” Erek reports. “Coming up the stairs.”

<Forget the battle mor -> Jake says. His orange-and-black tiger fur rapidly begins to fade. His muzzle collapses and his human mouth reemerges. “GGGGrrrroaro - Go fly! That means everyone.”

You focus on the fly DNA inside you, and begin to shrink. Spiky legs grow out of your chest. Your internal organs melt away to be replaced by simpler insect organs. Your mouth and nose sprout out to become a horrible, long proboscis.

The bright Legoland is a shattered mirror of images. The fly’s compound eyes see with a thousand tiny, irregular, bewildering TV sets, each tuned to a slightly different channel.

“The Howlers are here!” Erek cries.

<Let’s go!> Jake yells.

You power your fly wings and take off like a jet helicopter - straight up! You see massive red-and-black hands reaching for you. One gets close and you hit reverse, zipping back through the clutching fingers.

With your compound eyes the Howlers seem to be made of glowing purple and blue with pulsating black veins. The facets in your fun-house-mirror eyes break them into pieces. They are everywhere around you as you fly unmolested, unnoticed.

You do a midair flip and zip after the others.

<Some fight,> Rachel says.

<Yeah,> Marco agrees. <We showed them who’s boss.>

At least we escaped, you think.

On the plus side, we at least get to use the fly morph this time and it’s NOT a death morph like it was in The First Journey, so hooray for small victories.

The Next Passage – Chapter 12

quote:

You find an Iskoort guide. A place to hide.

That evening, you sleep in shifts. Two on guard at all times. You’re on watch with Erek, staring into the darkness. Watchful for any sound that may signal a Howler attack.

“You can relax,” Erek says. “I will hear the Howlers coming long before you will.”

“Why?” you ask.

“I am Chee,” Erek tells you. “Part of an android race created thousands of years ago. My hearing is vastly superior to human hearing.”

“Is that why you served as a lookout today?” you ask.

“No,” Erek says. “I could not fight. I am programmed to be nonviolent.”

“Who programmed you?” you ask.

“The Pemalites created the Chee,” Erek explains. “The Pemalites were a peaceful race. Then one day, the Howlers appeared out of Z-space and decimated them. I will help you defeat the Howlers any way I can. However, I cannot kill or hurt a living being.”

After two hours, Rachel and Tobias relieve you. Erek, being an android, needs no sleep. You curl up on one of the soft beds the Iskoort have made available to you. Try to get some sleep.

A smell like oil and mothballs and…

“Insecticide!” Rachel says.

You come awake with a jolt.

<Howlers!> Tobias yells.

What to do? The Howlers are pumping poison into your hideout. They have learned fast. Too fast. Insect morphs are no longer a choice.

What morph do you choose?

Our penultimate Decision Point, after this there’s one more choice and then we’re done completely. What will You Two morph to get away from the poison gas?

• Hawk.
  • Hork-Bajir.

Tobias, or Toby.

Choose wisely.

In the meanwhile, if you're looking for another great Let's Read thread to act as a companion piece of Everworld, check out Let's Read the Chronicles of Prydain by Wahad. It's a really good thread for a really good series of books.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Hawk, let the thermals bring us home one last time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Hawk, let the thermals bring us home one last time.

Is it too early to call 1-0 a "majority" decision? :confused:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Hawk

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

sure, let's rock out with our hawk out.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

HAWK
Thank you for guiding us through this very dumb book. We honor your sacrifice.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Hawk was in fact the correct choice, well done thread! It’s not the final morph of the Let’s Read, sadly the fly gets that distinction*, but for it being our final morph choice, it’s incredibly appropriate.

Choosing Hork-Bajir, for the record, results in You Two plummeting to their death and splattering on the ground because while Hork-Bajir claws are great for climbing trees and rending flesh, they can’t penetrate Iskoort Legoland hyperplastic so they just slide down the side of a building at terminal velocity.

The Next Passage – Chapter 13

quote:

The stench of poison is growing stronger by the second.

You’re already morphing to hawk. Feathers sprouting out of your skin. Flesh oozing and shifting like mud sliding down a hill. Your face crumpling, then extruding as a hard beak forms. Toes becoming talons.

The others are morphing birds, too. You could stock an aviary. A bald eagle, a pair of ospreys, a northern harrier, two red-tailed hawks, and a peregrine falcon.

<Erek!> Jake demands. <Can you project a hologram through another window? A hologram of us?>

“Absolutely. There would be no harm to the Howlers, and it might save you. That would be well within my parameters.”

<On three,> Jake says. <One, two, NOW!>

The far window slides open. Instantly seven birds fly toward it. Dracon beams burn. Flechette guns rattle. The Howlers are attacking the hologram. Jake’s plan is working!

The near window opens. You spread your wings and flap with all your strength.

You blow out of the window, flapping like crazy, desperate for every foot of distance. The others instantly pull ahead.

But you’ve never been a bird before. You’re overwhelmed by your freedom to move in three dimensions. By the eyesight that makes each puffy orange Iskoort tree a composition of a thousand details.

TSSEEEEW!

<Aggghhh!> you yell.

A pain! Like a red-hot poker driven into your wing. You’ve been hit!

<Down, down, down!> Jake yells.

You’re still flying! Okay. The Dracon blast wasn’t bad. It’s not over yet.

The others are diving. Down into the maze of trees and bushes and flowers. You follow, blazing along the lane, inches above the heads of Iskoort out walking in the early light of dawn.

B-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-t-t!

A line of flechettes tears a tree apart inches ahead of you.

The Howlers are after you!

You turn a sharp left, banking around a line of trees. A Howler bursts from the vegetation ahead.

<Pull up!> Tobias yells.

Tseeeew! Tseeeeew!

Marco’s left wing is gone, falling like burning embers among the strolling Iskoort. Marco tumbles, out of control, falling like a stone. He hits the ground, disappears from view.

Jake dives after him.

A Howler jumps from an overhanging tree. He aims his beam weapon even as he falls.

Tseeeew! Tseeeew!

<Aggghhh!> Jake hollers.

<We have to help Jake and Marco!> you yell. You bank hard right.

Tree!

You swerve around, straining your wing muscles to the popping point. Straighten up. And then -

Bonk!

You slam headfirst into a tree you never saw coming. You fall to the ground, knocked silly.

An Iskoort is standing over you, staring down. <Call a member of the Embalmers Guild!> he calls.

<I’m not dead yet,> you reply.

Jake is hollering in your head. <The Ellimist and Crayak have an agreement. They can’t kill the Iskoort! Use the Iskoort for cover!>

<Ax! Behind you!>

<Here comes another one!>

The others are running for their lives.

Your head is starting to clear. You sit up.

Flap. Flap. Flap. Cassie lands next to you. <Are you okay?>

<Yeah … I think so,> you say.

<Then let’s haul!> Cassie takes off, straining for altitude.

You flap once, twice. You’re high enough to see a Howler. He’s bounding toward you, his dead blue eyes focused on you. <Cassie - watch out!> you scream.

TSEEEW! The Howler fires!

A bald eagle attacks! Rachel!

You flap up, turn toward the Howler.

He brings his Dracon beam up, aims.

TSEEEEW! TSEEEEEW!

<Agggghhhh!>

Cassie tumbles out of the air.

<Cassie!> Rachel screams.

<I’m … I’m okay … .I’ll demorph … .Don’t worry.>

The Howler is closing in on Cassie, weapon drawn.

You dive.

Rachel dives.

You reach out, ready to rake the Howler’s bald head with your talons.

TSEEEEW! TSEEEEW!

The Howler fires at point-blank range.

<NO!> Rachel screams.

You stare down in horror. Cassie couldn’t have survived that blast. Her osprey body is smoking. You can smell the acrid odor of burning flesh.

Suddenly a group of Iskoort come zipping down the path. They walk over Cassie’s body and it disappears.

<Hey!> you yell.

Rachel swoops to attack.

<Easy, easy,> Tobias says. <It’s us.>

Erek has created a hologram of Iskoort. Ax, Marco, and Tobias are hidden inside. Erek drops the hologram long enough to examine Cassie, to see if there is some way he can save her.

After a tense moment, the hologram reappears. “I’m sorry,” Erek says. “Cassie is dead.”

<No …> Rachel says. Her fierce eagle eyes are blank. But you can hear the pain in her voice.

The others are silent as you rendezvous with guide and find a new place to hide. An abandoned factory. Filled with mysterious, dusty machinery.

Erek sets Cassie’s osprey body down on the seat of a strange machine that was like a merry-goround for tools. Rachel finds an old blanket and covers her up. You and Rachel demorph.

“What happened to Jake?” you ask.

<I saw him go over the edge,> Ax says.

“Is he … gone?” you ask.

<No,> Tobias says harshly. <I’m going to find him.>

“I’ll go with you,” Rachel says.

<No,> Tobias says again. <If they Howlers attack, you’ll need maximum firepower here. I’ll go alone.>

Tobias leaves.

As soon as he is gone, Rachel turns to you, her eyes shining with grief and worry. Her intensity frightens you.

“This is all your fault,” she says quietly.

Marco has also demorphed and watches silently from a few feet away.

<Rachel,> Ax says. <We are all sad. Blaming one another will not help.>

Rachel’s eyes are locked onto yours. Blazing with anger.

“My fault?” you ask meekly.

“You got Cassie killed,” she says.

“Rachel,” Marco tries.

But Rachel doesn’t back off. She’s right up in your face. “I want you to promise me something,” she says.

“What?” you ask.

“That you’ll stay out of the way from now on,” Rachel says. “I don’t want you getting anyone else killed.”

Do you promise?

Amazing, at the end of the last part of the last book of the Let’s Read, after two whole duds with nothing going on, finally something interesting happens.

Cassie is dead, it’s all You Two’s fault, and Rachel is absolutely pissed at them for playing a role in the death of her best friend Melissa Chapman… who?

Again, it’s another little moment where the ghostwriter remembered that this character is functionally supposed to be David...-ish, so they do the natural thing and set up a conflict with Rachel… right on the cusp of the final choice of the A-Side of the book.

This is our final Decision Point of the book. We have two choices of how to react to Rachel’s request to continue doing what the book has done so far and agree to just be sidelined so the actual Animorphs can solve the problem:

• Promise to stay out of the way.
  • Refuse.

One choice leads to death.

One choice leads to an ending that’ll make you wish You’d died.

Let’s end this.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Refuse. One, actively choosing to do nothing and let the real protagonists handle it is a really funny option. Two, Cassie's like... sub-temporally grounded or something, she'll undo any timeline that's too messed up and be fine. :P

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

frick you Rachel, we do what we want! Refuse

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The good news about these choices being all binaries is that we can end this all at once, so let’s just blow through the remaining two chapters and unseen death choices and call it a thread, shall we?

The Next Passage – Chapter 16

quote:

Someone shakes you awake in the middle of the night. Ax. <Gas!> he says in thought-speak. <Use your fly morph. We have to get out.>

You’re groggy, confused. The room is black. A darkness so deep it is featureless. You hear someone pounding at the door, the others rushing around.

You morph.

You can’t see the ground rushing up, your nose stretching out, or the fly’s weird compound vision blink on. But you are more aware of the changes going on inside you. You’re not in pain. But you can hear the slooshing, slurping changes.

Then -

A rush of air! Not much, but clear to your fly senses. Something clamps down on you!

You power up your wings. Take off.

A ceiling!

You zoom forward.

A wall!

You hit reverse.

Another wall.

Bzzzzzzzzzzz …

Your wings hit against the ceiling and walls, making a sound like an insect trapped inside a glass.

A glass …

You are inside a vessel ten times taller than you and half as wide.

Trapped.

<Ax?> you call. <Jake?>

No answer.

Demorph, you think.

You focus on your own body and begin to change. Soon you are a strange lump of flesh, pressing out against the walls.

But the vessel doesn’t break. The walls and ceiling press in, crushing you.

No, no, no!

You morph back to fly. You’re beginning to panic. Have the Howlers captured you? No, that can’t be right. Howlers don’t take prisoners. Howlers attack. They’re not about stealth.

Then you remember…

Ax’s voice. Ax telling you to morph fly.

You’re a prisoner, but not of the Howlers.

You’re a prisoner of the Animorphs.

<Why are you doing this to me?> you ask.

Silence.

And then Rachel’s voice. <You’re a risk. We have to get rid of you before you get anyone else killed.>

It takes two hours for you to become a nothlit. A person trapped in morph.

Two hours of horror.

You spend it crying, threatening, pleading.

You know when the two hours are up because someone lifts the glass and sets you free.

You’re a nothlit. And unfortunately flies only live for two weeks.

What the goddamn monstrous gently caress? Just when you thought this book couldn’t get any more spiteful, huh? So on Rachel’s bloodlust-fueled judgment alone, all five surviving mainstay Animorphs plus Erek unanimously decided effectively murder You Two for the crime of not even actually being responsible for Cassie’s death. It was her own compassion and concern for them that got her killed. Actually, it's a fitting end for Cassie if she were ever to actually die for real in the story; her main strength being used against her and becoming a fatal flaw at the wrong moment. I almost don't want to give the book credit for it, it's that weirdly good.

Like, I get trying to do a callback to David’s fate in The Solution, but if you’re gonna do that, at least make it so the reader character is 100% dead to rights responsible for Cassie’s death instead of just being a by-stander to it. Like say in a moment of panic they use Cassie as a shield against the Howlers and that gets her killed or something.

What a way to draw this thread to a close, by making you absolutely hate the Animorphs because they all turned into insane murderers who tricked an otherwise innocent, hapless child into a mind-shattered slow death as a fly because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. It takes all the nuance of what happened to David and strips it all way to just speedrun it right to the ending.

You think that’s lovely? Well strap in, because the “correct” final chapter is even shitter:

The Next Passage – Chapter 14

quote:

“Fine,” you say. “I promise not to take any more chances.”

Rachel finally backs off. Retreats to a corner with her grief. Marco and Ax go after her. You can hear the three of them whispering but you can’t hear what they’re saying.

You sit with your back against a wall and wait for Tobias and Jake to return. Erek sits silently a few yards off. You almost have the sense he is protecting you.

You’re numb. Horrified by Cassie’s death. Racked with guilt. But unsure what you could have done to prevent it. Maybe if you had just ignored that box. Never picked it up.

Tick.

Tick.

Tick.

Hours creep by. Then -

Flap, flap, flap.

You jump to your feet as one - no, two! - birds fly into the factory. Relief rushes over you as the others come running.

<Prince Jake!>

“Jake!”

“Oh, Jake… Cassie… Cassie is…”

Jake lands next to where Cassie’s small form is laid out. He begins to grow out of his falcon form, to reemerge as human. As his human mouth forms, he lets out a scream filled with rage and grief that turns your stomach.

Hours pass as Jake sits next to Cassie. The sun is going down when he calls you together.

“I have a plan,” Jake announces.

You put it in motion the next morning.

Guide leads you to an empty store at the end of a long, narrow street. Ax leaves. Goes out for a stroll on the crowded streets, hoping to lure the Howlers to you.

Tobias, floating high above the narrow streets, reports the scene by thought-speak.

<The Howlers are sticking together. Not as cocky as they were, though. They should spot him any second now. Any second now.>

“Do it now,” Rachel says to you.

You nod slowly, wishing you had never agreed to stay out of the way. Now that the plan is underway, now that the others are facing danger, you feel like a coward.

“DO IT,” Rachel orders.

“All right!” You start to morph.

Down, down, down you shrink. You feel a loose liquid sensation inside as your human organs slide and fuse. Coarse hairs grow on your arms, your legs.

Two extra legs explode out of your chest.

<What are they, blind?> Tobias wonders. <Ax is getting awfully close. The crowd is blocking their view of him. Too many Iskoort in the way. Oh, man! He’s too … they see him! Ax-man, run! Run!>

Your mouth and nose elongate into a powerful sucking straw.

The fly’s compound vision blinks in. you can see Rachel again. See her face from a thousand slightly different angles. Only now her angry, accusing human face has turned into the fierce face of a grizzly.

<Climb aboard,> Rachel says.

You power the crazy fly wings, zooming up and up and coming to rest behind the bear’s upsidedown U of an ear.

“It’s time,” Jake says. “I have to do this. Rachel, you know what to do. If I get out of control, can’t control the morph. If I start that howl… you’ll have to do it.”

If Jake lost control of the morph, Rachel would… Would do what she had to do. Quickly. Before Jake could hurt any of us.

You’re lost in a dense thicket of brown fur. Clinging with your clingy fly feet. You can’t see, can’t affect the outcome of the battle, but you can still hear what’s happening.

<They’re on him!> Tobias yells. <All six of them. Like hounds after a rabbit. Man! That boy can run! Ax-man! Opening to your right!>

Tense minutes pass. You know Jake is morphing a Howler, but you can’t see it. Nobody speaks.

Until -

<You can let me go,> Jake tells Rachel.

<Are you sure?>

<Yeah,> Jake says. <This thing isn’t out of control. The killing is a game to the Howlers.

They’re having fun. They’re enjoying it.>

<Here they come!> Tobias yelled. <Thirty seconds. Crowd is thinning out, Ax-man! They’re gonna have a shot!>

The sound of flechette guns, in the street outside our door, only a dozen feet from us.

<Aaahhhh!> Ax cries in pain.

<He’s hit!> Tobias yells.

WHAM!

You hear Ax’s hooves. Pounding that has to be a Howler following him. A scuffle. Thumps, bangs, creaks. Moans. Groans. Flechette gunfire. The sound of fists impacting with flesh. You guess that Rachel is running, fighting, dodging. You can feel the air moving over your sensitive fly parts. But you can’t make out what is happening. Then -

<No!> Jake yells. <Forget them! This way!>

Staying down, hiding in Rachel’s fur, is unbearable. But it’s too late now. You can’t help. You’re powerless in your fly morph. And you have your promise to keep.

The flood of sounds and vibrations continues. Some sort of weapon burning for minutes. Slaps. Bodies falling. Guide whining with fear.

<NOW!> Jake yells in thought-speak. <Marco! The memory emitter! Now! He’s getting up!>

What’s happening? you wonder desperately. Where is Marco? Why isn’t he responding?

The plan was to pour all of your collective memories into the Howler’s head. Your life plus the lives of Jake and Rachel and Marco and Ax and Tobias. Even Guide. And the long, long memory of Erek. Once inside the Howler’s head, the memories would flow into the endless pool of collective Howler memory.

Suddenly, silence.

No battle sounds.

No Dracon beam fire.

Quiet.

<What happened?> you ask cautiously.

“They’re gone,” Erek says. “The Howlers disappeared.”

The Next Passage – Chapter 15

quote:

Iskoort world vanishes. Simply disappears.

You are no longer a fly.

You are in your own true body, sitting in the back of a convertible limousine. A gentle breeze blows on your face as you’re riding through New York City. Confetti floats down from a cloudless blue sky. Cheering crowds line the street and shout your name.

“Who changed the channel?” Rachel growls.

<Ellimist,> Ax says.

“Ticker-tape parade,” Marco says. “Does this mean the Yankees won another World Series?”

You spin around and count your companions. Marco, Ax, Jake, Rachel, Tobias … .

No Cassie.

ADMITTING YOUR LIMITATIONS IS NOT EASY.

The booming voice easily fills the canyon of skyscrapers.

“No joke,” you grumble.

YOU HAVE PASSED THE TEST.

“Thanks.”

BUT THE COST WAS HIGH. YOUR ACTIONS TOOK A LIFE. I WILL DO THE SAME.

“What? What do you mean?” you holler. “We had a deal. If I won, you would save my parents!”

ONE.

“That wasn’t the deal!”

YOU MUST CHOOSE.

“Choose? But that’s impossible!”

How can you choose? Choosing to let one of your parents live means choosing to let the other die. Would your father wish to live with the knowledge that your mother was infested? Would your mother wish to live with the knowledge that your father was a slave?

The rest of the Animorphs are watching you. Rachel angry. Ax resigned. Marco volatile. Tobias’s hawk eyes fierce, impossible to read. And Jake…

Jake imploring. Haunted.

You know what you have to do.

“I choose Cassie,” you say.

And she suddenly appears. Sitting between Jake and Rachel.

Smiling.

“Hey!” she says. “I love ticker-tape parades!”

And that’s it. That’s where the book ends.

So what was THIS version of the Ellimist’s lesson supposed to be, anyway?

I get the impression that we did this book in reverse order and it’s supposed to go A then B, because the A-Side ending is clearly the Bad Ending compared to the B-Side one at the very least. Neither of them are good endings in terms of writing quality, but at least the B-Side ending is better in terms of circumstance.

In the A-Side ending, the Ellimist is a prick and changes the terms of his deal with You Two in order to basically force Cassie back to life and back on the board at the cost of their parents. So they get to live on as a part of the Animorphs with their parents still either dead or infested and their life a smoking ruin of what it once was, unable to live openly in human society because the Yeerks still know who they are and now the Animorphs don’t like or trust them anymore because they all remember that they allegedly got Cassie killed, even if Cassie doesn’t.

At least in the B-Side ending, they get deposited back to before they ever encountered the morphing cube with the knowledge of what’s going to happen if they pick it up, so they can at least avoid that fate now with their family intact.

So that was the main plot of Alternamorphs #2 The Next Passage. Thank you, Emily Costello, I now absolutely hate the Animorphs. Good job. I can absolutely see now why they killed off this sub-series at only two books because they were probably the worst books in the whole franchise by far. I can easily imagine what few kids who actually read the first one being so absolutely turned off by it that they didn’t even bother trying out the second one, and just as well because woof, what a stinker this one was.

Now let’s close things out with everyone’s favorite thing in the world: the pointless death montage!

The Next Passage – Chapter 26 (B-Side Decision Point #3, Wolf)

quote:

You roll. Stumble to your feet.

RUN!

You focus some small part of your brain on morphing. Imagine yourself as a sleek gray wolf running through the woods.

As you run on your slow human legs, you feel the changes begin. Your jaw stretching outward. Your bones grinding as your weak human mouth becomes the crushing jaw of the wolf.

Down comes the massive dinosaur head, teeth flashing, drool drippng. You can see one huge yellow eye marking you.

Instinctively, you dodge behind a tree. Make a quick turn.

CHOMP!

The T-rex closes its jaws shut on a tree inches to your left. A piece of bark flies into your cheek.

“HrrrrrRRROOOOAAAARRRR!” the T-rex screams with rage.

<Go eat something else!> you beg.

You’re running full out, knowing it’s hopeless, but needing to put as much distance as possible between you and that jaw.

SPLING! SPLING!

Your knees change direction mid-stride! You stumble. Your arms are growing, getting stronger, your shoulders broadening.

You put your hands on the ground. Your hands are still human, but you try running on all fours. Your wolf legs are only half-formed, but you are already faster.

You dodge through the trees, feeling more at home in the forest. Rough pads are growing on your feet, making it easier to run.

Then the wolf senses blink on.

The wolf’s ears hear everything. They hear huge insects scurrying under damp leaves. They hear your friends crashing through the woods a hundred yards ahead of you. They hear

Marco crying in panic. And they hear the footfalls of the T-rex.

WHAM! WHAM! WHAM! WHAM!

Directly behind you.

Your human mind was afraid.

The wolf mind is terrified.

A strange whining yelp escapes from your lips. “UrrrUrrrUrrr …”

WHAMWHAMWHAMWHAM!

RUN!

You are all wolf now. Wolves can move. Especially scared wolves. You are going so fast the ground under your paws is a blur.

Then -

“HrrrrrRRROOOOAAAARRRR!”

CHOMP!

You feel a flash of pain and then -

Nothing.

Cause of death: T-Rex.

The Next Passage – Chapter 17 (A-Side Decision Point #4A, Hork-Bajir)

quote:

Erek, Guide, and Tobias watch impatiently as the rest of you morph.

You go Hork-Bajir. Cassie and Marco morph osprey. Jake goes falcon. Rachel goes bald eagle. Ax to northern harrier.

While the others shrink, you shoot up to two-feet. You are tall enough to brush your head on the ceiling of the Iskoort room.

Your face elongates. The jaw bulges out and becomes smooth as a bullet. Lips stretch out and out. Your eyes narrow.

Your skin turns green-black. Your toes shift and merge into the three-toed, one-spur feet of the Hork-Bajir. Your tailbone bulges out and grows vertebra by vertebra.

Turning into a Hork-Bajir is bizarre, to put it mildly. The last time you saw one of the nightmare creatures, they were tearing your house to shreds. Now you are turning into one of the “Wild Things.”

SHWOOP! Blades slide from your forehead.

SHWOOP! Blades at your wrists and elbows!

SHWOOP! Blades at your knees.

You like this morph. You feel secure in this body. Strong. But you brace yourself, expecting to struggle with the violent Hork-Bajir mind. It floods in as a rush of instincts. But not violent instincts. You want to… run. Run and climb.

<Let’s go!> Tobias says. <Birds don’t tolerate poison that much better than bugs.>

<Neither do Hork-Bajir,> you say. The fumes are starting to make you dizzy.

<Point taken,> Jake says. <On three. One, two, NOW!>

The others move toward the window. You let them go first. Six birds flapping desperately.

You climb out on the narrow ledge, knowing you have to hurry. You look down. You’re five stories up. It’s dizzying, terrifying.

But the Hork-Bajir knows no fear. Doesn’t understand the concept of falling. You let the Hork-Bajir instincts take over.

You swing your talon feet out of the window, then flip around to face the room. You cling to the windowsill with strong four-fingered hands.

Down! the Hork-Bajir thinks.

You give a little kick to place your knee blades.

Srreeeccch!

Your blades won’t grip! You scramble, trying desperately to bring yourself back up, to crawl back through the window.

But now gravity is pulling you down. The poison is slowing your reflexes. The Howlers are running and leaping around the corner of the building. They’ve seen you!

Srreeeccch!

Srreeeccch!

Srreeeccch!

Srreeeccch!

Your horn blades sound like fingernails on blackboard as you slide down the Iskoort façade, gathering speed. Then you lose even that tenuous connection.

Splat!

You’re dead.

Cause of death: stupidity followed by falling.

And that is, regrettably, it. 64 books up, 64 books down. We have now read the entirety of Animorphs cover-to-cover. 3 years, 2 months, 4 days and we’re finally done.

I once again want to thank Epicurius for starting this whole thread in the first place and for his amazing effort in the face of some incredible challenges to see it through to the end, and for being gracious enough to let me take it over for the… victory(?) lap of the COYAs. Again, if you have somehow missed all my prior badgering about it, please go check out the Everworld let’s read he’s currently helming now.

And to everyone who’s still here reading this at the end of the end of the end, thank you for sticking with the thread all the way through.

Hit the music, Jimmy!

(for Cody)

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 21, 2023

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Incredible. What an absolutely bullshit book on all metrics. Terrible as a CYOA. Awkward handling of trying to force us into being David, but not really, because You Two didn't actually do anything malicious. Weird rehashes of previous plots without giving the "player character" any actual agency, or really making an attempt to shoehorn You in there at all. It's a shame, because I feel like there's a good core idea in an Animorphs CYOA, or even something more gamebook-ish like a Fighting Fantasy. Too bad we got this steaming pile instead.

Thanks for showing it off and letting me relive my preteen disappointment, nine-gear crow! And thanks once again to Epicurious for the whole thread (and Everworld)!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
We also accomplished nothing? Like we went through... most of David's recruitment book before the Ellimist throws a hissy and forces us to go to do an incredibly abbreviated Iskoort/Howler book (which is explicitly an adventure the Animorphs had already completed) or do uh the bit of Megamorphs 2 that happens before the plot kicks in and then arbitrarily end them.

Like for all the poo poo we gave You 1 and the first Altermorphs at least they like did stuff? They had a dog fight with Visser 3 at least which was pretty funny.

Zore fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 21, 2023

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

After the first CYOA I just kinda started skimming. Y'all weren't kidding when you said they fuckin sucked.

This has been a great three years of revisiting some books I loved as a kid. Thanks for the thread, Epicurius. And for the finale, nine-gear crow!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zore posted:

We also accomplished nothing? Like we went through... most of David's recruitment book before the Ellimist throws a hissy and forces us to go to do an incredibly abbreviated Iskoort/Howler book (which is explicitly an adventure the Animorphs had already completed) or do uh the bit of Megamorphs 2 that happens before the plot kicks in and then arbitrarily end them.

Like for all the poo poo we gave You 1 and the first Altermorphs at least they like did stuff? They had a dog fight with Visser 3 at least which was pretty funny.

Yeah, it's weird how the first book was actually somehow the better of the two of them, because it gave you more choices, a better variety of morphs, and some degree of agency, and the chance to humiliate Visser Three at the climax of his weird and stupid plan. I don't even know what to make of the second book except that it actually kind of started pissing me off to even continue with it the further into it we went. Which is a shame because you'd think a book where the premise is effectively "You're David, try to get out of your run-in with the Animorphs alive and intact" would have been an absolute ripper of a book, no?

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Great series, thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Every 3 days is easy mode. It should be a week instead between kandronas.

Rachael didn't get merged together correctly after the starfish incident.

If I morphed my wisdom teeth would ruin me.

Just nothlit the auxiliary animorphs as other kids and give them lasers. Give the free hork bajirs morphing and have them only morph other hbs in case they get wounded. Same for the parents.

They really should have a stash of stolen dracon beams by the end. I guess because it's a children's series they can't have too many guns. But several times an animorph will use a knabbed dracon to save everyone's lives, then immediately drop it for no reason. They can just leave them on stun! Much more kid friendly than looping off limbs or ripping someone's throat out.

I thought those two andalites hiding in town were just one that was morphing the other. Shame we didn't see them again. There were a few minor friends of the animorphs that just get forgotten. I guess they get glassed after the train bomb.

I think it's a mistake that morphing heals your original body. Morphing should give you a free body to get limbs cut off, but the papercut you got on your main body should still be there when you demorph. I think that would be a reason why andalites have any vecols at all, they can't fix their original bodies. If you are mortally wounded, you can die in your own body, or you can get trapped as a nothlit in a different creature's form. Which gives more stigma to nothlits. And this would give them a reason to be in morph, instead of staying in their base andalite form.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

IPlayVideoGames posted:

It really sucks to type this, and I’m sorry this announcement was delayed but I don’t really use the forums for anything other than occasional shitposting and I didn’t even know this thread existed. It somehow doesn’t feel real yet either, but I suppose grief is a journey down a winding dark road.

My older brother, Steve or Epicurius, passed away on May 27th of a heart attack. I know he had his fingers in all sorts of SA groups and had a good number of friends that he met on here and on the offshoot discords. If you’ve ever chatted with him or argued about history or discussed books or anything else, thank you. You meant a lot to him, and by extension, to me.

Words fail.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Well gently caress.

I didn't realize this article was a warning.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/media/02-09-2018/i-read-all-54-animorphs-books-in-five-days-and-it-almost-killed-me/

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

oh, gently caress.

I know he had mentioned dealing with heart issues earlier in the thread, but I had hoped his return meant that he was on the mend.

that's just terrible. :smith: condolences to his friends and family, and I'll definitely miss seeing him around the forums.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm just happy he was able to make it all the way through Animorphs, so he at least got to see that through completely. He was a good man.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
drat, condolences to his family. Really hoped he was doing better after that hospital stay.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Oh no. I was hoping he was on the mend after his last hospital stay.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
That really, really sucks. It feels corny as hell but I really looked forward to the Animorphs updates and chapters through some particularly lovely times. So, im grateful for him, and I'm so sorry for his family's loss.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
mods goldmine this thread

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Soonmot posted:

mods goldmine this thread

Seems fitting.

I'll leave it here for a bit longer for anyone to post any final thoughts they have before goldmining it.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

He'll be sorely missed. :smith:

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I'll miss this thread and Epicurious.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I’ll just echo what others have said that this thread has made the last few years that much less lovely. The fact that Epi stuck with us in spite of his health struggles is amazing. There is never a good time for something like this to happen, but I am so glad we all got to finish out the series together.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

quote:

"You were brave. You were strong. You were good. You mattered."

:smith:

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
I regret not posting more while chapters were actively posted, it was a treat each day to reread my favorite book series. You were a great dude Epicurius.

I'm not good with paint but hope this looks nice enough.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I grew up reading Animorphs as a child in the 90s, and to this day I cannot see or hear the word "thermals" without instantly thinking about Animorphs. Now that will be forever linked to Epicurius too. Thanks for everything, Epi. You made the pandemic years a lot easier

I love this, would be happy to buy it as a gangtag for others to use

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

HonorableTB posted:

I grew up reading Animorphs as a child in the 90s, and to this day I cannot see or hear the word "thermals" without instantly thinking about Animorphs. Now that will be forever linked to Epicurius too. Thanks for everything, Epi. You made the pandemic years a lot easier

I love this, would be happy to buy it as a gangtag for others to use

I would like this gangtag

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I totally skipped Animorphs growing up, I was just a few years outside the target so never even gave it a second look. Was a super cool thing to look forward to during the pandemic and now I'll forever have thermals on the brain. Dunno if it'll ever matter, but thanks Epi.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
This was an excellent thread, written and curated with great care. I think all of us, in our wanderings around the forums, learnt pretty soon that the name "Epicurius" next to a post always indicates something worth reading.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I would like this gangtag

This is gonna be really dumb but I forgot how to gangtag since I'm used to just having them given to me by a mod haha. If someone can remind me of the process I'll pay for the upload

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
This series has had a special place in my heart for decades, so I'll always be thankful to Epicurius for showing it off in depth and sharing his thoughts or other bits of wisdom on them and related to them. Whenever I think about the books from now on, I'll always think of him too. And I'm eternally grateful to him that he let me finish things off for him and tackle the two COYA books in his stead. I get why he didn't want to do them, they sucked, but I had a lot of fun mocking them for being awful.

He didn't post much about them, but I hope he enjoyed seeing my take on them. It's strange thinking about how something you wrote could have been one of the last things someone read.

I hope he's at peace now.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Hell of a thread, hell of a poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

Kazzah posted:

Hell of a thread, hell of a poster

Sad it ended this way. Thanks for the thread (and the thermals), Epicurius.