Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Daikloktos posted:

Marco not wanting to get in the fight is one thing, but what kid wouldn't immediately try out morphing?

Wolf. Real help there, Cassie

Wolves can be pretty tough. Besides, she also has a polar bear morph that she uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Silver2195 posted:

I think Applegate wanted to add some challenge to the process of acquiring powerful morphs, so it wouldn't feel like she was making things too easy for the protagonists. But yeah, the tension is a bit artificial and doesn't really work.

Arguably if Jake got caught sneaking around a zoo, and one of the "Andalite bandits" morphs an animal Jake was sneaking around near, Tom might put two and two together. Though IIRC the Yeerks tend to be pretty bad at putting two and two together like that.
When they say the Yeerks are everywhere, they mean it; throughout the books the kids encounter Yeerk Controllers in a wide variety of professions in a lot of different locations. They basically have no way of telling anyone in the zoo staff is a Controller, so it's best to avoid the attention.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SardonicTyrant posted:

When they say the Yeerks are everywhere, they mean it; throughout the books the kids encounter Yeerk Controllers in a wide variety of professions in a lot of different locations. They basically have no way of telling anyone in the zoo staff is a Controller, so it's best to avoid the attention.

Also a zoo is a pretty obvious place to install controllers, since it's one of the first places "teenagers who might have the power to morph" might show up.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Also a zoo is a pretty obvious place to install controllers, since it's one of the first places "teenagers who might have the power to morph" might show up.

IIRC the yeerks have no idea the kids have morphing powers they just want to remove possible witnesses. I think I remember them freaking out about the "Andalites" that somehow made it to Earth.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The Invasion-Chapter 20

quote:

A male Siberian tiger, to be exact. Ten feet long. Seven hundred pounds of deadly speed and unbelievable power. You know those old Tarzan movies you see on TV sometimes, where Tarzan is wrestling a tiger? And actually winning? Let me tell you something. You want to know what your chances are of wrestling a tiger and coming out alive? They're about the same as your chances of jumping off the Empire State Building and surviving.

"I have an idea," Marco said shakily. "Let's leave."

"Don't run," I said. "It might just get his attention."

"I think he's noticed us," Marco said. "I think he knows we're here, Jake. I think he's looking right at us! Look at his teeth!"

"Don't freak! I have an idea. The morphing. If I acquire him, it'll put him in a trance."

"Acquire? Acquire what? You can't acquire anything about him. He's the acquirer, and you're the acquiree. He's going to acquire your butt for dinner! He's going to acquire you and spit out the bones."

I swallowed hard.

I tried to touch the tiger, but my hand was shaking too much. I took a couple of deep breaths. I heard somewhere that's supposed to calm you down, I guess it works. Unless you're practically sitting on a tiger. Then absolutely nothing calms you down.

"Nice tiger," I whispered.

He just watched me. He had this lazy "who cares?" look. This look of total, complete, absolute confidence. Almost like he thought I was funny. Like maybe he enjoyed watching me shiver and shake.

"Please don't kill me," I said.

"Don't kill me, either," Marco added.

I reached my shaking hand toward the tiger. His eyes followed my hand, I touched his flank. It rose and fell with his breathing.

"Concentrate," Marco whispered.

I was already concentrating real hard on the tiger. I was concentrating on his teeth, I was concentrating on the rippling muscles under his pale orange and black pelt. I was totally concentrating on the fact that he could swing that big, massive paw of his and send my head flying across the grass like a soccer ball. Then the tiger's breathing slowed. His eyes fluttered a little and slowly closed.

"How long does the trance last?" Marco whispered.

"Well, about ten seconds after you break contact. That's what it was with Homer."

"Ten seconds? Ten seconds?"

"Yeah. So be ready to run."

"I've been ready to run!"

I started to pull away, but then I hesitated. It was a strange moment, because right then I realized what I was doing. It hit me. This tiger was becoming part of me. All that power and confidence was becoming part of me.

Jake's got a tiger!

quote:

"He's beautiful, isn't he?" I said.

I expected Marco to say something sarcastic. But he said, "Yes. He's magnificent." Then he added, "But let's get out of here before he shows us why he's king of the jungle."

"That's lions," I said. "They're supposed to be king of the jungle. But let's not tell him that. You ready?"

He nodded.

"Now!" I yelled.

I jumped up and we tore for the ladder. In my head I was counting off the seconds: one-one thousand, two-one thousand, three-one thousand . . .

Something moved. Fast! An orange and black blur!

Right then I realized it. Duh. There was more than one tiger in the habitat.

I heard screams coming from the spectators above. I guess they could see us now that we were out of the bushes.

Marco leaped and grabbed the rungs of the ladder. He scrambled up. I was about one-tenth of a second behind him. The tiger leaped. His claws scraped the concrete just inches below me. And then he let out a roar that made the rungs of the ladder vibrate in my hands.

Ggggggrrrrraaaawwwrrrr!

What a noise! It echoed and reverberated and made my insides turn to liquid.

Marco practically flew up the ladder and over the side of the wall. I flew right after him.

Admittedly, that wasn't the safest way to acquire a tiger.. At least they're out.

quote:

It's amazing how fast you can climb a ladder when there's a tiger roaring for your blood.

"There they are!" someone yelled, "Get them. Stop!"

Guards! At least three of them.

"Should we morph?" Marco yelled to me.

"No! Just head for the crowds! There! Over by the dolphin tank."

It was a close call, but we made it to a big crowd just a dozen feet ahead of the guards. From that point, all we had to do was hunch down and squirm between all the people till the guards lost sight of us. We worked our way to the front gate, always crouching so our heads wouldn't show above the crowds.

Much of their trip to the Gardens has been running from the guards.

quote:

"What did you do, morph into a midget?" It was Rachel. She was right in front of me, looking amused. Tobias and Cassie were there, too.

"The guards were after us," I said. I had almost stopped shaking from my close encounter with the big cats. Almost.

"Oh, quit playing around, Jake," Rachel said. "Let's get out of here. I have to be home for dinner."

It turned out the other three had not been chased at all. They'd lost the guards easily, and had just gone on acquiring morphs while Marco and I were risking our lives in the tiger habitat.

The most annoying thing was that none of them even believed our story. Marco and I were a little resentful over that.

We climbed on board the bus and practically collapsed into the seats.

"We could have been killed," Marco said, pouting. "Really. I'm telling you. It was down to a few inches."

"Yeah, whatever," Rachel said. "Don't obsess over it. After all, we still have tonight to deal with. Whatever danger you think you had today, it will probably be nothing, next to what's going to happen tonight."

"Tonight." Cassie shook her head. "And I haven't even thought about studying for that math test tomorrow."

Rachel laughed. "We may not have to worry about tomorrow."

"Thank you, Little Miss Cheerful," Marco muttered under his breath.

This just reinforces that nobody can piss you off more than your friends.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

What an exciting little adventure!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

quote:

"Where have you been all afternoon and evening?" my mom asked me as we sat down for dinner. My family is very old-fashioned about dinner. We all have to sit at the table. No TV . My mom's a writer, so she hates TV unless it's one of her favorite programs.

"Where have I been?" I repeated the question. "Um . . . hanging out. You know. Hanging with Marco."

"I don't know why you bother to ask," my dad said. "His answer is always the same - hanging out."

Parents, right?

quote:

"So what did you do at work today, Dad?" I asked him.

"Hung out," he said. He gave me a wink and we all laughed.

I glanced over at Tom. He was eating chicken cacciatore like the rest of us and laughing. He seemed so normal.

"You doing anything tonight, Tom?" I asked him.

"Why?"

I tried to look casual. "You know, I was thinking maybe we could shoot some hoops," I said. "Maybe you could teach me some new moves and I could take another shot at making the team."

"Sorry, man," he said. "I have things to do tonight."

"Yeah, like what?" I asked.

"Hanging out, no doubt," my mom said. "Eat the broccoli, Jake, it's good for you. It's full of trace minerals and vitamins you can't get anywhere else."

"Okay," I said to my mom, "You know how much I love trace minerals." I popped the smallest piece of broccoli I could find and tried to gag it down. I guess it wasn't any worse than eating a live spider.

"So, Tom, what was it you said you were doing?" I asked again.

He gave me a dirty look. "Do I have to check in with you now? I have things to do. Is that okay, little brother?"

"A girl," my dad commented. "I know these things. I'm a doctor."

No, Dad, not a girl, I wanted to say - a Yeerk pool. What's a Yeerk pool, Mom? Well, it's kind of a long story.

I decided to try one more time. I guess a part of me still refused to believe what Tom was. "Maybe you're just afraid to shoot hoops with me. Maybe I'd kick your butt."

"Yeah, that's it. Happy now?" Tom sneered.

His gaze met mine. Was there some sign in those eyes? Some evidence of the selfish, evil creature that was controlling him? No. I wish there had been.

But there is no way to know who is a Controller and who isn't. No way. It's what makes them so hard to stop. They can be anyone. Anywhere.

Even a person you think you know. A person you admire. Look up to. Love.

I've said it before, but this is just really sad. One of the results of Yeerk infiltration is that it destroys the fundamental trust that's part of human relationships. You can never know if the person you think cares about you really is that person anymore, vs some puppetmaster in their body who's just pretending to care.

quote:

I broke my gaze away from Tom's and looked down at my food. A few minutes later, Tom got up to go. I knew where he was going. After he left, I went to the upstairs phone, where my parents couldn't overhear me. I called Marco.

"He's on his way," I said.

I called Tobias and Rachel. I tried to call Cassie, but I got her mother instead.

"She's not in," her mom said. She sounded worried. "She wasn't home for dinner. She went out to feed some of the animals and didn't come back."

My stomach clenched.

"She's probably just out riding one of the horses," I said, trying to reassure myself as much as Cassie's mom. "You know Cassie."

"All the horses are in their stalls," she said.

I took a couple of deep breaths. Something was wrong. What had happened to Cassie?

"I'll look around for her," I said. "Don't worry. I'll bet she just saw some injured animal or something and went off to rescue it. You know Cassie," I said again.

"Yes, I'm sure she's fine."

Right. She was about as sure as I was. But what could I do? The plan was set to attack the Yeerk pool and rescue Tom. Maybe Cassie was already at the school, waiting.

Maybe.

I had a very bad feeling as I rode my bike to the school. I hid the bike across the street, the way we had planned. Then I hooked up with Marco and Rachel.

"Cassie's missing," I said. "And where's Tobias?"

Rachel pointed up at the sky. The sun was setting fast, but I could see Tobias circling high overhead.

"What is the matter with him?" I exploded. "He's got a two-hour time limit and we don't know how long this is going to take!"

"Maybe we should bail until we find out what happened with Cassie," Rachel said.

Part of Jake's anger here is fairly justified annoyance with Tobias here for being so casual about morph time (remember, it's 2 hours maximum), but part of it too is that he likes Cassie in a romantic way and is scared for her.

quote:

"Could be she's just scared," Marco said. "I am."

"Maybe," I agreed, although I doubted it. But they say you never know who's going to be brave or cowardly in a battle.

I just hoped I wasn't a coward. The truth was, my mouth was already dry and my heart was already pounding. And we hadn't even done anything yet.[/quote[

Jake's fear here isn't that he's going to die or fail the mission His fear is that he'll be a coward, which I think is kind of interesting.

[quote]Tobias swooped down and perched on Rachel's shoulder, it surprised me a little. Why would Tobias perch on Rachel's shoulder? And she didn't seem at all annoyed. She rubbed her head against him a little.

Speaking of liking, I'm thinking that Tobias and Rachael like each other. In the '90s, turning into a hawk and perching on a girl's shoulder was the way that a guy announced they were going steady. It was a weird decade.

quote:

<Are we doing this, or not?> Tobias asked.

This was not starting off right at all. The bad feeling in my stomach was just getting worse. Cassie missing. Tobias already morphed.

Everyone was looking at me, waiting for me to decide.

"Yeah, we're doing it," I said. The school was locked up for the night. But Marco had taken care of that little problem. He knew of a window in the science lab that didn't lock.

We crawled into the science lab through the window. It was dark, except for the dying light of the sun that glinted off the glass beakers and test tubes. Tobias drifted through and landed neatly on the teacher's desk.

They're doing it.

quote:

"Let me take a look," I said. I opened the door as slowly as I could and peeked out through the crack. I could see down the nearly dark hallway to the janitor's closet. Instantly I pulled back in.

"There are people out there!" I said. "Three people heading into the closet."

"Controllers," Rachel said. "I guess it's dinnertime for Yeerks."

None of us thought that was very funny.

"How are we going to get in there?" Marco asked.

"Wait a minute," Rachel said. "Do all the Controllers know each other by sight? I mean, maybe we're Controllers, right?"

"So we just walk right on in like we belong there?" Marco asked. "Wonderful plan, Rachel. I have a better idea - let's just kill ourselves now and get it over with."

"Maybe Rachel's right," I said.

"Big maybe," Marco pointed out. "Big, huge maybe. How about Tom? He would know whether you were a Controller."

It's risky, but so is this entire plan, and Rachael's right that, given their numbers, and that you can't identify a Controller from a non-Controller by sight, there doesn't seem to be any way for one Controller to know if another human is controlled at first sight.

quote:

I cracked the door again and looked out. "I think Tom's already down there," I said. "Besides, the hallway's empty now. I guess they all . . ." I fell silent. "Wait, here comes someone."

I stared. It wasn't easy to see faces in the gloom. I could tell there were two people. One was wearing a uniform.

It was the Controller policeman. And he was rudely yanking someone along with him. I could see that it was a girl.

I didn't really want to see any more.

"Tobias," I said. "I need you to use your hawk's eyes,"

Tobias fluttered over and stood on my shoulder. He peeked his fierce head out into the hall and then drew back.

<Yes,> he said. <It's her.>

I felt like the floor had opened underneath me. Marco grabbed me because I looked like I was about to fall over.

"They have her!" I whispered. "The Controllers. They have Cassie!"

Uh oh. I do have a lot of respect for that cop, or at least the Yeerk in his head, for dedication to duty. Or at least for its dedication to stalking Cassie. That cop has so far interacted with Cassie in this book more than Jake has interacted with his parents.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

the thing I forget most about these early books is how uninterested Marco is in actually doing anything. It makes sense with his background but good lord what a wet blanket in a YA adventure series

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
I actually think the zoo scene was really clever. Obviously as an author you want them to have different battle morphs, to help give each character a unique role and identity. (As well as for book covers and other art, and toy merch and stuff, although idk if they were thinking that far ahead.) But it makes no logical sense for everyone not to get every animal. So you have to contrive-only Marco gets to touch the gorilla, then they’re interrupted, then they split up, then only jake gets close enough to touch the tiger, and so on.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Soup du Jour posted:

the thing I forget most about these early books is how uninterested Marco is in actually doing anything. It makes sense with his background but good lord what a wet blanket in a YA adventure series

I always think about this when I read early-book Marco

https://www.newsfromme.com/?s=the+complainer+is+always+wrong

Poor Outlook
Jan 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
The andalite chronicles was where it was at. The time sphere thing at the end was extremely moving to me as a kid. Like, I forget their names but Ax's brother maybe almost had a normal life in the alternative universe with the human girl. And also invented windows? Good stuff.

And the whole thing with the chee? Man, what a weird series.

E: Sorry!

Poor Outlook fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 7, 2020

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

von Metternich posted:

I always think about this when I read early-book Marco

https://www.newsfromme.com/?s=the+complainer+is+always+wrong

Except IIRC Marco is basically always right.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 7, 2020

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The Invasion-Chapter 22

quote:

"Who has Cassie . . . now?" Rachel stammered.

"That policeman. The Controller, the one who came out to Cassie's farm. The one who was at The Sharing meeting. He has her. He saw her at the meeting trying to get close to the full members."

Rachel let go a few choice words.

We hadn't even started and already everything was a disaster

"Okay," I said grimly. "We go ahead, like Rachel said. We figure there are too many Controllers for all of them to know each other. I mean, they add new bodies all the time, right? So maybe we're new Controllers, right?"

"Oh, man," Marco moaned.

"You have a better idea?" I snapped.

"No," he said. "I think we go ahead. We take our chances. Let's rock and roll."

"Okay, then, everyone act cool." I looked at Tobias. "Too late for you to morph back now. But try not to let them see you."

It's a mistake. Tobias has already been a hawk since before Jake got there, and morphing doesn't take long. Better for Tobias to change human and then hawk again to reset his time. Then, again, Jake is worried about Cassie.

quote:

Rachel, Marco, and I stepped out into the dark hallway. My legs were stiff. My knees were rickety. I was walking like Frankenstein trying to look casual.

We headed for the janitor's closet. Fortunately, no one else was in the hallway.

We entered the tiny room and stepped inside. I tried to recall the sequence for opening the door. Faucet to the left, then twist the second hook around right.

The door swung open.

There was more noise than there had been the other day. Or maybe it was just that my human ears heard it better than my lizard ears had.

There was a deep sloshing, swooshing sound, almost like gentle surf breaking on the shore. But that was the nice sound. The other sounds were horrifying - despairing cries, terrified screams, shouts, shrieking triumphant laughter.

"You sure this is just the Yeerk pool?" Marco said in a nervous, shaky voice. "I see a guy with horns and a pitchfork and I am outta here."

I stepped into the opening. The stairs were steep and there was no rail, so you felt like you were about to pitch forward with every step. We descended together.

The door closed automatically behind us.

At first I guess I expected there to be maybe a couple dozen steps. But the steps never ended. We just kept walking, and there were always more steps. The walls were dirt, then quickly became rock as we went down, down, down. It felt like those stairs would never end.

"Some superior aliens," Marco whispered. "You'd think they could have put in an elevator."

We all giggled a little. Very little. Suddenly, the rock walls widened out. We had emerged into a huge cavern.

And when I say huge, I mean huge. They could have played the Superbowl in there and had room left over for a couple of malls. It was like a giant bowl turned upside down, all carved out of solid rock. At the very top of the bowl was the faint outline of a hole. I thought I could see stars through it.

All around the outer edges of the cavern I could see other stairways, like ours. They seemed to come from every direction, appearing out of the rock walls, and leading down to the floor of the cavern.

We clustered closer to the center of the stairway. It was a sheer drop off the side of the stairs.

"This is gigantic," Marco said. "This isn't just under the school. This is under half the town. Those stairways must lead up to a dozen secret entrances." He shook his head. "Jake, they have this entire area set up with secret passageways. Oh, man. This is worse . . . this is so much worse . . . So much bigger . . ."

So tunnels to the pool are all over the city.

quote:

I felt the same despair. We were fools. This wasn't some little group of alien bad guys we were dealing with. To build this underground city, these guys had power we couldn't even imagine.

That's almost what it was. A city.

There were buildings and sheds all around the rim of the cavern. And we could see yellow Caterpillar earthmovers and cranes at work on the far side of the cavern. They seemed weirdly normal in this incredible place.

And there were creatures everywhere. Taxxons, Hork-Bajir, and other things I couldn't even begin to guess at.

But mostly, there were humans. A lot of them.

At the very center of the cavern was a pool, like a small lake, maybe a hundred feet across, and perfectly round. Only the water wasn't exactly water. It moved more like melted lead, and was about the same color. The sloshing sound we could hear was the liquid of the pool being rippled and splashed by hundreds of fast-moving things below the surface.

I knew what they were. Yeerks. Yeerks in their natural, sluglike state. They were swimming and cavorting in the pool like kids on a hot day.

Near the edge of the pool were cages. In the cages were Hork-Bajir and human beings.

Some of the humans screamed for help. Some cried silently. Some just sat and waited, all hope lost. There were adults there. And kids. Women and men. More than a hundred, packed ten to a cage.

The captive Hork-Bajir were kept in separate, stronger cages. They paced and howled and slashed at the air with their bladed arms.

I almost lost hope. I felt like my heart had stopped. This was a place of unimaginable horror. And we were so few, and so weak.

Below us on the stairs I could see the Controller cop and Cassie. He was dragging her roughly whenever she stumbled. They had reached the bottom of the stairs.

"I'm going to morph," I said. "I'm going to get Cassie away from him."

Marco put his hand on my shoulder. "Not time yet, dude. Be cool."

<Cassie's okay, Jake,> Tobias said. <She isn't hurt. Just scared,>

"He'd better not hurt her," I said. "Keep an eye on them, Tobias."

Somebody was saying before that it seemed like Marco was overcautious, and sort of the designated contrarian, but he's right here. Jake's upset, and Marco is stopping him from acting irrationally.

quote:

There were two low steel piers built out over the pool. On one, Hork-Bajir-Controllers politely guarded a line of humans and Hork-Bajir and Taxxons.

This was the unloading station. One by one the people knelt down, bent over, and dipped their heads toward the slimy surface of the pool. The Hork-Bajir helped them.

As we watched, a woman calmly bent over, her head just inches above the lead-gray pool. A Hork-Bajir held her elbow gently, to help her keep her balance.

Then we saw the thing dribbling, sliding, squirming, crawling out of her ear.

A Yeerk.

"Oh, no . . ." Rachel moaned. She sounded like she might be sick. "Oh, no. No."

When the Yeerk was all the way out of the poor woman's head, it dropped into the pool and disappeared beneath the turbulent surface.

Instantly the woman cried out. "You filth, let me go! Let me go! I am a free woman! You can't keep doing this! I am not a slave! Let me go!"

Two Hork-Bajir grabbed her. They dragged the woman to the nearest cage and threw her in.

"Help!" the woman screamed. "Oh, please, someone help. Help us all!"

Right. So easy job they have there.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I like the censorship in YA books whenever a character swears.

Let go a few choice words, indeed.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I like the censorship in YA books whenever a character swears.

Let go a few choice words, indeed.

Ah, see, you noticed it when Rachael did it, but apparently you didn't give a rat's rear about Tobias doing it earlier. :)

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Epicurius posted:

Ah, see, you noticed it when Rachael did it, but apparently you didn't give a rat's rear about Tobias doing it earlier. :)

Who the gently caress is Racheal? Rachel was the one swearing.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Who the gently caress is Racheal? Rachel was the one swearing.

Rachael is Rachel when I post at 7:45 in the morning before I had coffee.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The Invasion-Chapter 23

quote:

"Help! Please, someone help us!"

We had been hearing cries like that all the way down those steps. But now we were close enough to give the cries a human face. It cut straight to my soul.

There was a second steel pier. That was the loading station. There the host bodies were dragged from their holding cages to have the Yeerks reenter their heads. It was a pretty basic process. They grabbed the hosts, whether human or Hork-Bajir, and forced their heads down into the pool.

The people sometimes fought and screamed, and sometimes just cried. But they always lost. When their heads were yanked back up out of the pool, we could see the slugs still slithering into their ears.

After a few minutes they would become calm again, as the Yeerks regained control. Then off they went, once more slaves of the Yeerks.

It was a horrible assembly line, from the unloading pier, to the holding cages, to the infestation pier. They moved the poor victims through at a pretty speedy rate.

i think in a way, this almost makes it more horrible...the sheer efficiency of it.

quote:

But there was another area we could only now see. There humans and Hork-Bajir waited on comfortable chairs, sipping drinks and actually watching TV . Taxxons squirmed around like gigantic spiny maggots.

I heard the faint sound of a television set. I was sure I could hear laughter from the humans. They were watching the show and having a good laugh.

<Those are the voluntary hosts,> Tobias said. <Collaborators.>

"What are you talking about?" I demanded.

<You remember, what the Andalite told us. Many humans and Hork-Bajir are voluntary hosts,> Tobias replied. <The Yeerks persuade them to let them take over.>

"I can't believe that," Rachel said. "No person would ever let this happen to them. No one would ever give up control of himself."

"Some people are scum, Rachel," Marco said. "Sorry to burst your balloon."

<The Yeerks convince them that taking on a Yeerk will solve all their problems. I think that's what The Sharing is all about. People believe that by becoming something different, they can leave behind all their pain.>

"Like spending all their time as a hawk," Marco pointed out.

Tobias had nothing to say to that. He spread his wings and flew up and away.

"Tobias! Come back," I called to him.

"We have to get moving," Rachel said. "We've been standing here staring for too long." She looked at Marco. "Don't be a jerk to Tobias, okay? We need everyone."

I think Tobias is probably right here. I think Marco is probably right here too. I also wonder what Hork-Bajr and Taxxons think of human sitcoms.

quote:

Tobias came swooping back toward us. <Cassie,> he said. <She's on the pier. The infestation pier. They're going to turn her into a host.>

With my normal human eyes I couldn't see that well in the purple gloom. I could just make out the cop's uniform and the small shape beside him.

"Do you see Tom?" I asked Tobias.

In answer he flapped his powerful wings and gained altitude. I saw him high over the pool. Then he came back toward us in a power dive.

<I see him,> he said.

I hesitated before asking. I wasn't sure I wanted to know the answer. "Is he in the cages? Or is he . . . voluntary?"

<He's in a cage,> Tobias said. <He's yelling his brains out at the Hork-Bajir guards.>

"Yes!" I knew Tom would never have gone voluntarily. I knew they must have taken him kicking and punching.

Obviously, this cheers up Jake immensely.

quote:

<Cassie is getting near the end of the pier,> Tobias warned. <We only have a few minutes before they infest her!>

It was time. We were at the bottom of the steps.

We ran over to hide behind a storage shed of some kind.

Marco pulled me around the corner, drawing me close so that I could hear him whisper. "Look, before we do this, there's one thing, Jake. You have to promise me."

I knew what he was going to say.

"If I have to die, okay. But don't let them take me. Don't let them put one of those things in my head."

Suicide pacts in young adult books, everybody!

quote:

"It'll be okay -"

"You!" a voice yelled. A human voice. "You two. Who are you?"

I spun around. A man. Just one man. But beside him, flanking him, was a big Hork-Bajir, looking suspicious. And on the other side, a Taxxon.

Somehow the man hadn't seen Rachel. She was just around the corner of the building. But he had seen Marco and me talking. I guess it hadn't looked quite right to him.

"Us?" Marco asked. "Who are we? Hey, who are you?"

"Take them," the man ordered.

The Hork-Bajir advanced on us. The Taxxon slithered forward on its dozens of sharp spiny legs, red jelly eyes quivering, mouth opening and closing in anticipation.

I knew I had to morph. But I was frozen with fear.

Then I saw Rachel. She had gotten around behind the Controllers.

And she was getting very, very large.

It's probably a good thin that Rachel is there, then.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Oh boy, 'ere we go!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
So, I'm not even going to comment on this chapter, but remember, 9 years olds used to read this.

The Invasion-Chapter 24

quote:

Rachel was getting larger very fast. Huge leathery ears sprouted suddenly from the side of her head. Her nose stretched and stretched till it was longer than her body had been to start with. Her arms and legs were big as tree trunks. And from her mouth grew two enormous, curved teeth.

My cousin Rachel now stood almost thirteen feet high and weighed about fourteen thousand pounds.

The weird thing was, I was happy about all this.

<Ha HA!> I heard Rachel's triumphant laugh. <I did it.>

The Hork-Bajir and the Taxxon came closer.

Rachel began twitching her little ropy tail. Her front legs pawed the dirt floor of the cavern. She raised her massive head and stuck out her three-foot-long tusks.

The Taxxon was the first to notice her with his all-around red-jelly eyes, but I guess he didn't know how to react.

Rachel charged. One minute she was standing there, and the next minute she was barreling forward like an out-of-control eighteen-wheeler.

The Hork-Bajir was fast. He spun around and slashed at her trunk with his elbow blade.

Too little. Too late.

Rachel was moving, and no little flesh wound was going to stop her.

<Puny little nothing!> Rachel cried, outraged. <You attack ME?!>

The Hork-Bajir went down, crushed under her monstrous feet. He bellowed, but Rachel's trumpeting was louder.

The Taxxon tried to run. It turns out Taxxons can move out when they want to.

It also turns out elephants are faster than you think. They can be very fast.

Rachel's foot caught the Taxxon's back end. The needle legs collapsed, cracking like broken twigs. Yellow goo oozed from the popped flesh of the big worm.

She just kept rolling over him, leaving behind a big, extremely disgusting pile of goo. The foul smell of the squashed Taxxon nearly knocked me out.

The human was still just standing there. He said, "An elephant?" Like he couldn't even think about it being real.

Rachel wrapped her trunk around his middle.

<Yeah,> we heard Rachel say. <An elephant.>

The man screamed. I guess he figured out it was real. Rachel threw him through the air. I never saw where he landed.

"Quick!" I yelled at Marco. "Morph!"

"Nice work, Rachel," Marco said. "Remind me not to ever make you mad."

I focused on the tiger. I knew his DNA pattern was in me. I thought of him, lying there in his habitat at The Gardens wishing he were back in the jungle, hunting and taking down his prey. I guessed maybe he wouldn't mind the use I was making of his DNA. This wasn't quite a jungle, but it would have to do.

<More Hork-Bajir coming!> Rachel said.

Rachel turned to face them, tusks ready.

I felt the morph begin. The hair grew from my face. The tail squirted out behind me. My arms bulged and rippled. They were massive! My shirt ripped. I fell forward onto my hands, now my front legs.

The power!

It was electric. It was like a slow-motion explosion. I could feel the power of the tiger growing inside me.

I watched claws, long, wickedly curved, tearing, ripping, shredding claws, grow from my puny human hands. I could feel the teeth sprouting in my mouth.

My eyes looked through the darkness like it was broad daylight.

But most of all, the power! The sheer, incredible power.

I was afraid of NOTHING! Hork-Bajir were running at me, their arm blades slashing at the air.

I opened my mouth and I roared. The Hork-Bajir stopped dead in their tracks.

That's right, my little Hork-Bajir friends, the human part of my brain thought. Time to meet the tiger.

The muscles in my back legs coiled up. I bared my teeth and gave them another roar loud enough to make the ground quiver.

I leaped through the air, claws outstretched.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One of the benefits to using inhuman aliens: nobody gives a poo poo if you gruesomely crush them into bloody pulp in full detail.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

At first I thought she was turning into a bear and was like "drat, a 14,000lb bear, that thing must be loving huge."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Ytlaya posted:

At first I thought she was turning into a bear and was like "drat, a 14,000lb bear, that thing must be loving huge."

That would be like 11 grizzlies.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Epicurius posted:

That would be like 11 grizzlies.

Or one elephant-sized grizzly!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Ytlaya posted:

Or one elephant-sized grizzly!

When you absorb a bear and an elephant at the same time....

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

chitoryu12 posted:

One of the benefits to using inhuman aliens: nobody gives a poo poo if you gruesomely crush them into bloody pulp in full detail.

Also brutally murdering humans is fine as long as the actual death happens off "screen".

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

One of the most hosed up aspects of that is all of those aliens and people are totally innocent regular folks who happen to be body-snatched, so every single time the animorph crew murks a horde of bad guys, they’re slaughtering helpless innocents.

I loved this series so much as a kid and I keep hoping they’ll reboot it as a crazy dark prestige show. You never know!

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Also brutally murdering humans is fine as long as the actual death happens off "screen".

There’s some conversations later on about how weighted the casualties are towards Hork-Bajir and Taxxons, actually, that’s why some Yeerks start suspecting they’re human.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

redcheval posted:

One of the most hosed up aspects of that is all of those aliens and people are totally innocent regular folks who happen to be body-snatched, so every single time the animorph crew murks a horde of bad guys, they’re slaughtering helpless innocents.

I loved this series so much as a kid and I keep hoping they’ll reboot it as a crazy dark prestige show. You never know!

From my reread of the first 7 or so books, I don't think they unambiguously kill any humans, or even Hork-Bajir, most of the time. I mean, they knock a bunch of them out and never get the chance to check if they're still breathing afterwards, and sometimes they chop off arms, so they've probably killed some people, but nothing confirmed aside from one instance where they knock a Hork-Bajir out the window during a fight in a skyscraper. The death toll depends on how far you apply comic book logic vs. real world logic, I guess.

Edit: And of course they killed lots of Yeerks and Taxxons, who aren't as inherently evil as they initially seem, but they're at least clearly invading soldiers.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 9, 2020

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I mean, Rachel as an elephant did just step on a Hork-Bajr there. I suppose it's possible it didn't die, but you have to think being stepped on by an elephant isn't great for future survival.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'm not satisfied by their explanation for why any human would choose to remain a collaborator. Unless in that case the yeek is actually chill and amicable towards their host while cooperating, or something?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Avalerion posted:

I'm not satisfied by their explanation for why any human would choose to remain a collaborator. Unless in that case the yeek is actually chill and amicable towards their host while cooperating, or something?

Some of that is gone into in the next book. But it's to the Yeerk-Controller's interest to have a willing host, because they're easier to control.

I will say more generally that, in the real world, there are people who stay in abusive or unequal relationships, people who are members of cults that mistreat them, and people who willingly go along with systems that degrade or hurt them.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 9, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
That was something that always struck me as odd too was how few human collaborators were shown across the scope of the series, and inversely how few symbiotic Yeerks there were as well. The only proper examples we're given of that line blurring are shown to be utter monsters.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The Invasion-Chapter 25

quote:

I sailed through the air and struck the closest Hork-Bajir in the chest.

Down he went with me on top of him. He rolled over and tried to get up. He was fast. I was faster.

He struck at me with his razored arm. I ducked under the blow. My left paw swung, so fast even I couldn't see it. It left four oozing tracks across the Hork-Bajir's shoulder.

Another Hork-Bajir! Wrist blades, elbow blades and talons whizzed. They were like a pair of lawn mowers on full throttle.

And still I was faster. I can't even remember what happened next. All I have is this image of the tiger - of me - with claws slashing and jaws snapping. I was a whirlwind of orange fur and black stripes.

The Hork-Bajir fell back. I roared. They turned and ran.

On one side I saw Rachel. She lifted a Hork-Bajir up on her tusks and tossed him back over her shoulder like he was a doll.

And then I saw Marco. Big Jim's massive body was ripping its way out of Marco's slight frame.

<Just call me King,> Marco said. <King Kong.>

You think Marco had that quip ready ahead of time.

quote:

The truth is, like Cassie said, gorillas are very gentle, peaceful, quiet creatures. The truth also is that they are strong. Real strong.

Basically, compared to a gorilla, a man is something made out of toothpicks.

Now, Hork-Bajir are pretty large creatures. They stand about seven feet high and are built for trouble. But Marco swung one big gorilla fist and hit the nearest Hork-Bajir in the stomach. The Hork-Bajir went down. Hard.

I roared. Rachel trumpeted. Marco lifted the Hork-Bajir up and tossed him aside like a rag doll.

The rest of the Hork-Bajir turned and ran.

<Now!> I shouted. <Before they get organized again!>

We charged. Rachel just plowed right through some of the small sheds and buildings like Godzilla heading for Tokyo.

Marco came loping along, swinging his massive forearms, punching anything that got in his way. Whatever he punched stayed down.

And I ran right down the middle, looking for any Controller dumb enough to mess with me. We reached the cages. The people and Hork-Bajir inside shrank back from us. They were almost as afraid of us as they were of the Controllers. Let's face it - a rescue party made up of an elephant, a, gorilla, and a tiger is not what they'd been hoping for.

Marco began ripping at a lock on one of the cages. The lock gave way. The door flew open. Marco did something very human to reassure them. He made a little bow, then crooked his finger at them as if to say come on out.

Tom was the first out. He looked scared and mad and determined. I was going to send him a thought message, telling him who I was, but suddenly there was Rachel, screaming in my head.

<Jake!> Rachel said. <Look. Cassie!>

Cassie was nearly at the end of the infestation pier. The Hork-Bajir and Taxxon guards were still sticking to their duties. As I watched, another human was shoved headfirst into the Yeerk pool. <Cassie is next!> I cried.

<Don't worry,> Marco said. <We'll take care of Tom. Go. Go before they do it to her!>

I hesitated for only a second, as a thousand thoughts went through my head.

Later I would think about that moment. Think maybe . . . maybe . . . if only . . .

That's ominous, isn't it?

quote:

I broke into a run. I had to get to her!

As I watched, the two Hork-Bajir on the pier grabbed Cassie by the arms.

"Nooooo!" she cried.

I tore at full speed. I leaped over Taxxons. I dodged around Hork-Bajir. I practically flew. But I couldn't really fly. Not the way Tobias could.

I saw him high, high up in the cavern. Down he came.

Like a bullet.

The talons came forward. Tobias hit the first Hork-Bajir at about fifty miles an hour. He swooped away, leaving the alien clutching at the slimy mess where his eyes used to be.

That was all Cassie needed. She broke away and ran back down the pier.

I finally got there and went after the remaining Hork-Bajir-Controller.

<Morph!> I yelled to Cassie. <Morph and head back for the stairs!>

She looked at the other humans and Hork-Bajir behind her in the line. "Run! All of you, run!"

Ok, so everybody's free now. They just have to get out.

quote:

They did. Cassie plowed into the panicky crowd. Moments later a black-maned head appeared above the shoulders of the crowd. Cassie had become a horse and was racing for the stairs.

I started after her, racing back around the pool toward Marco, Rachel, Tom, and the crowd of hosts they'd freed from the cages.

The Controllers were starting to get organized. A group of Taxxons were slithering out to stop Cassie and me. Both the Hork-Bajir and the Taxxons were carrying weapons now.

<Up and over!> I said to Cassie as we neared the line of Taxxons.

<Up and over!> she yelled back.

I leaped. Cassie jumped. Side by side, we sailed over the startled Taxxons. They fired their hand-held Dracon beams, but too late. The beams sizzled the air behind us and we blew past.

I could see Rachel's towering gray bulk just a-head. The stairs were near. I saw Marco with Tom.

We were going to make it!

And then he stepped out daintily from a group of Hork-Bajir.

He seemed almost harmless in his Andalite body. A gentle half-deer, half-human-looking creature with bluish fur and an extra set of eyes on comical stalks.

So much for "We're going to make it.

quote:

Visser Three didn't look all that scary. Not compared to the Hork-Bajir, the Taxxons, or even our own Earth-animals.

But Visser Three had an Andalite body. He had an Andalite's power to morph. And he had been all over the universe acquiring the genetic patterns of monsters like nothing ever seen on Earth.

A Taxxon slithered up beside Visser Three and spoke. It was a weird, half-whistling sound. "Ssssweer trrreeesswew eeeesstrew."

Visser Three said nothing. He just looked at me with the vertical slits that were his eyes.

<This Taxxon fool says you are wild animals,> Visser Three said. <He wants to know if he and his brothers can eat you.> He laughed silently. <But I know you are not animals. I know who and what you are. So. Not all of you Andalites died when I burned your ship.>

It took me a couple of seconds to realize what he meant. Then it hit me. Of course! He thought we were Andalites. He'd guessed that we were morphs, not real animals. And he knew that the Andalites were the only species with morphing technology.

<I compliment you on getting this far. But it will accomplish nothing. Because now, my brave Andalite warriors, it is time. Time to die.>

He began to morph.

<I acquired this body on the fourth moon of the second planet of a dying star. Like it?>

I realized I'd been wrong to be hopeful.

We were not going to make it.

I love Visser-Three. He's so proud of himself.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Epicurius posted:

I love Visser-Three. He's so proud of himself.

Image in spoiler tags just in case.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

Image in spoiler tags just in case.

Good heavens, just look at the time!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Visser Three might be my favorite kidlit villain. A nice combo of 'horrifying', 'absolute monster', and 'extremely entertaining'.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Chapter 26

quote:

From Visser Three's Andalite body, the creature grew. Tall as a tree, towering over even Rachel. Eight massive legs. Eight long, spindly arms, each ending in a three-fingered claw. And from the place where the top set of arms grew came the heads.

Heads. Plural. Eight of them. This creature had a thing for the number eight. Even the HorkBajir-Controllers backed away. Even they didn't want to be near Visser Three when he morphed this way.

But the Taxxons edged in closer, crowding around their leader like a pack of hungry dogs looking for table scraps.

He's a hydra.

quote:

I was frozen in terror. Stunned. Even the tiger that was a part of me was confused and worried. I had started to think that with our morphed bodies we could take on anything. But we couldn't take on this monster. Not and survive.

<Run!> I yelled to the others. <Up the stairs!>

Cassie nudged two of the humans from the cages and tossed back her head. They figured out what she wanted and climbed on her back. Then she galloped toward the stairs.

<Yes, run,> Visser Three crowed. <It makes a more challenging target.>

Then, Visser Three struck.

From one of the heads a round, spinning ball of flame erupted. A ball of flame that flew like a missile.

It skimmed through the air and splatted against the back of one of the women riding Cassie.

"Ahhhh!" She fell off, screaming and rolling around to put out the flames. Cassie kept going with only one rider. She reached the base of the stairs.

<Target practice!> Visser Three laughed. He fired fireball after fireball, one head after another.

One singed my shoulder and flew past. One hit Rachel in the ear and made her scream in my head and trumpet in terror.

The air was full of fire.

<We have to get out of here!> Marco yelled.

<Yes, run! Run for the stairs!> I repeated. <Rachel! Get moving! Clear a path!>

So this whole thing is a giant wakeup call for them, I think. Their plan was...extremely ambitious, given that there are five of them, they're new at this, and they're taking on pretty much all the Yeerks on their home turf. (And that this is just the first book). This chapter is very much them being slapped down for hubris.

quote:

A big swarm of us was heading for the stairs, but the Taxxons had closed in around us. Anyone that got away from Visser Three was swarmed over by the Taxxons.

I saw Tom out of the corner of my eye. He was swinging his fists at a pair of Taxxons that were circling around him. Tom couldn't hurt them, but he was trying just the same.

Rachel ran over and plowed into one of them, crushing him beneath her tree-trunk legs. Marco threw his arms around the second Taxxon and twisted till it split open, spilling its putrid guts all over the floor.

Rachel had hit the bottom few stairs and stopped. Elephant bodies are great for some things. But they are useless for climbing stairs.

<Morph back!> I told Rachel.

She began to shrink almost immediately, but there wasn't time to wait until the morphing was complete. Rachel started up the stairs as a shifting mass of gray and pink, part human, part elephant, staggering on weird, half-finished legs and dragging a shriveled trunk that made her pretty face into something awful to see.

We ran. But it was impossible.

By the time we had climbed a few dozen stairs, there were only a few free humans and two free Hork-Bajir with us. The rest had all been recaptured or burned.

A fireball exploded at my feet and I snarled. But still we retreated.

We were a hundred feet up the stairs when the last two freed Hork-Bajir were brought down by the Visser's fireballs. They fell in flames.

Welp....

quote:

The Visser was climbing the stairs now, all alone. He was so big he barely fit on the stairs. I knew when we reached the point where the walls closed in around the stairs that we would be safe from Visser Three. Glancing up, I saw that Cassie was almost to safety above us, with one human rider.

The rest of us, along with Tom and a pitiful handful of freed humans, were bunched together.

Visser Three began pelting the staircase ahead of us with fire. We were trapped. Fire ahead. Visser Three himself behind.

"No," I heard a familiar voice say. "No, you filthy creep. You aren't going to win this time."

It was Tom.

All alone, he charged at Visser Three, armed with nothing but his fists.

One of the Visser's arms came down and swung at him.

<Tom!> I cried. My tiger body roared with all its might. But the sound was lost in the noise of crying humans and whistling Taxxons.

I saw Tom stagger from the Visser's blow.

I saw him fall from the edge of the stairs.

So here's Tom, as Tom...one of the few times we see the actual him, and it gives you an idea of what he's like and why Jake looks up to him so much. He's willing to attack Visser Three, in spite of the fact that he's a giant hydra, to fight back, even though he knows its hopeless,.

quote:

I went a little crazy.

I was on the Visser before I knew what was happening. On him, digging my claws into his flesh. I twisted up and behind one of his eight heads.

The tiger in me knew what to do. I sank my teeth into his neck and clamped my powerful jaws and held on.

Another head turned back and aimed a fireball at me. I dodged the first fireball. The second burned my flank. I jumped clear.

The Visser roared in pain. I roared in hatred. And we ran, ran, ran up those stairs with a hundred nightmares on our heels.

So, at least Jake got a bite in. Still, this was not a success.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 11, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Visser Three would have made a great villain if there were maybe five books. Because there are so many he just winds up looking totally ineffective, but he really does have some great moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Visser Three would have made a great villain if there were maybe five books. Because there are so many he just winds up looking totally ineffective, but he really does have some great moments.

I will say, in general, he's very much a children's book villian.

Visser One, on the other hand, is smart, patient, pragmatic, and terrifying.