Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Tree Bucket posted:

If only Elfangor had crashed in Geelong or Newcastle or something. Try and save the world with an emu morph! Go on, try!!
the kandrona pool is contaminated with meth, the world is saved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Starsnostars posted:

If the Ellimist had been a species closer in technology to the Yeerks and and had said that they could get a few people out on a refugee ship or something then fair enough. Coming in and saying that they can only save a few while being all powerful and having found a whole planet for Earth species to live on leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

I remember nothing about this book, so my guess is that it may not have been a sincere offer. I'm thinking it was a test to see if the Animorphs were committed to fighting for Earth and thus worthy of his help.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

fauna posted:

the kandrona pool is contaminated with meth, the world is saved

I'm sorry, Visser, we began construction of the Yeerk pool, but it got bought out by real estate developers who are all cousins of council members and now it is a vibrant, contemporary mixed retail and residential space owned by one dude who rents the whole thing out through airbnb. The invasion is cancelled.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
We should really keep a running total of how many hands/arms Ax chops off. It's got to be at least once per book.

Cythereal posted:

I remember nothing about this book, so my guess is that it may not have been a sincere offer. I'm thinking it was a test to see if the Animorphs were committed to fighting for Earth and thus worthy of his help.

Pretty sure it was to show the gang the dropshaft so they could escape. Space God had to have known they wouldn't take the offer.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Tree Bucket posted:

I'm sorry, Visser, we began construction of the Yeerk pool, but it got bought out by real estate developers who are all cousins of council members and now it is a vibrant, contemporary mixed retail and residential space owned by one dude who rents the whole thing out through airbnb. The invasion is cancelled.
lmao

newy :negative:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Epicurius posted:

"Whumpf!"

Something hit me and I went sprawling across the dirt.

A man stood over me. A grown man! He had slammed into me. For some reason, this outraged me.

What kind of a creep would hit a girl half his size?

Of course I knew the answer. I knew the man was not really a man at all, but a Controller.

The Yeerk in his head didn't know or care about chivalry.

The man bent over me and began to put his hands around my throat. Suddenly, he only had one hand.

"Aaarrrgghhh!" he cried, falling back.

There is a zero percent chance this dude doesn't know at least one of the "Andalite bandits" is a human.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Skelicopter posted:

Maybe Rachel just loving murdered all witnesses.
Let's be real, any possible survivors are only going to remember the bear carnage. Any yeerk not shanked by her is too busy muttering 'bear bear bear' to correct Visser 3.

Do we know yeerks die if their host dies when they're hooked in, or is there a period they can still slither out the ear if the head is undamaged?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Piell posted:

There is a zero percent chance this dude doesn't know at least one of the "Andalite bandits" is a human.

"Visser, Visser, I saw the one that turned into a bear, and she's—"
<Did you kill it?>
"No, no, but listen, it's—"
*decapitated*
<Anyone else care to volunteer information about how they failed to kill the Andalite bandits?>

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

You know, grizzly bears knowing neither fear nor regret explains a lot about why it's Rachel's favorite battle morph. I get the feeling elephants are too emotionally introspective for her to lose herself in the same way.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PetraCore posted:

Let's be real, any possible survivors are only going to remember the bear carnage. Any yeerk not shanked by her is too busy muttering 'bear bear bear' to correct Visser 3.

Do we know yeerks die if their host dies when they're hooked in, or is there a period they can still slither out the ear if the head is undamaged?

There is a very limited window for them to abandon ship, but usually they have to do so under combat conditions, so their chances of survival and recovery are slim.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I mean, if you didn't die from blood-loss from losing a hand, and didn't get horrifically mauled by an enraged grizzly bear, you are still surrounded by taxxons that go absolutely nuts at the smell of blood and devour anything in their vicinity...

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Bobulus posted:

I mean, if you didn't die from blood-loss from losing a hand, and didn't get horrifically mauled by an enraged grizzly bear, you are still surrounded by taxxons that go absolutely nuts at the smell of blood and devour anything in their vicinity...
I feel like getting stepped on if you successfully ejected would be the likely outcome, too.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I'm also imagining that Yeerks don't have great mobility on dry land, so good luck evacuating from a host who's not already in the water.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

wizzardstaff posted:

I'm also imagining that Yeerks don't have great mobility on dry land, so good luck evacuating from a host who's not already in the water.

Yeerk: Oh, poo poo, there goes the hand. gently caress this, I'm out of this fight, time to run.
Volunteer host: Yeah, this is not what I signed up for. Thanks for dulling the pain, though. Is there a medical services building around here? This is going to be hell to explain to my human boss...
Yeerk: Yeah, uh, about that. I don't... I don't think you're going to survive this. And since there's no reason both of us have to die...
Volunteer host: Wait, why are you steering towards the pool? You motherfucker, why are you steering towards the pool?!?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bobulus posted:

Yeerk: Oh, poo poo, there goes the hand. gently caress this, I'm out of this fight, time to run.
Volunteer host: Yeah, this is not what I signed up for. Thanks for dulling the pain, though. Is there a medical services building around here? This is going to be hell to explain to my human boss...
Yeerk: Yeah, uh, about that. I don't... I don't think you're going to survive this. And since there's no reason both of us have to die...
Volunteer host: Wait, why are you steering towards the pool? You motherfucker, why are you steering towards the pool?!?

Joke’s on that dumb Yeerk when the freed host reaches into the pool, scoops up the Yeerk and pulls it apart like a Christmas cracker with the last of their strength :v:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

gently caress the ellimist

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Not being too into the sci-fi staples, The Ellimist stuff was my first encounter with accessibly cosmic horror-esque beings outside of physicality at all. It might not have been necessary for a series that could deliver on the simplest aspects of its premise but not only did it fire up my childhood imaginationg it allowed opportunities for different kinds of existential dillemmas to watch the characters work through. Just wish the endgame has been suitably grandiose or at least well-delivered

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Joke’s on that dumb Yeerk when the freed host reaches into the pool, scoops up the Yeerk and pulls it apart like a Christmas cracker with the last of their strength :v:
With one hand?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The Stranger-Chapter 13

quote:

I didn't wake up till the next morning when my alarm went off. I was groggy, barely able to read the numbers on my clock.

"Rachel? Are you up?" my mom called through the door.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm up," I said. I crawled out of bed and staggered toward the bathroom. Jordan was in the bathroom we share.

I went out into the hall toward my mother's bathroom.

She was already up and dressed in a tan business suit. She was adjusting her nylons. "You don't look too good," she said, giving me a sideways look.
"Uh," I said. "Can I use your shower?"

"You're wearing the clothes you came home in last night," she said accusingly. "You came wandering in at nine-thirty, barefoot and wearing your leotard. That's what you're still wearing."

I stared stupidly down at myself. Yes, I was wearing my morphing outfit. "Um...my, um, I left my shoes over at Cassie's. I was showing her some gymnastics stuff. Can I use your shower or not?"

"Coming home barefoot and falling asleep without even having dinner," my mom said, and shook her head. "Rachel, if you are having some problems or something, I want you to talk to me."

I did the wrong thing: I suddenly burst out laughing. "Problems? No, why would I have any problems?" I giggled, and wiped the sleep from my eyes, and giggled some more.

My mom sighed. "I have an early court appearance this morning," she said. "The Hallinan case. But I want you to stay home tonight. I think you and I need to have a little talk. I know your father has thrown a big problem into your lap. I know this decision is very difficult for you."

"Can I use your shower or not?" I sighed, no longer giggling.

"Go ahead. Make sure Sara gets on the bus okay."

I closed the bathroom door behind me and fled to the sanctuary of steaming hot water.

It started coming back to me then. All of it. Exploding out of the Taxxon's stomach. The Ellimist's offer. The sight of Tobias, back for too brief a time in his own body. Human again.

And the battle...a rampaging, enraged bear. A bear that was me.

I shuddered. I was running out of hot water.

"Rachel? What did you do, fall in?" It was Jordan, outside the bathroom door.

"Jordan? Make sure Sara gets off to school, okay?" I called out. "I'm running a little late. You go ahead, too."

I skipped school that day for the first time in my life. I lay around the house and watched day time trash TV. I flipped channels back and forth, between one bunch of messed-up people and another bunch of even more messed-up people.

It was nice, watching other people with problems. Their problems all seemed easy compared to mine.

But over the electronic pictures of angry people and placating hosts, other images appeared.

A Taxxon, split open like a torn bag of garbage. The frozen, silent screams of involuntary hosts in their cages.

And through all the television noise, I could still hear other voices. The Ellimist's voice in my head.

We can save a small sample of the human race.

And Jake's voice.

You are out of control!

And my father.

To another city. Another state.

I tried not to even think about everything that had happened the day before. I mean, it was so ridiculous. I lived in two completely different worlds.
One world was filled by my family, school, gymnastics classes, shopping, listening to music, watching TV . . . normal stuff.

But then I had this whole other life. A life where I wasn't just Jordan and Sara's big sister, and my mom's first child, and a teacher's pet, and a gymnastics student who was weak on the balance beam.

In my other life I was ...a warrior. I risked my life. I fought in deadly nightmare battles against terrible odds. I became so much more than just a kid.

Noon rolled around and I made myself a grilled cheese sandwich. I turned on the TV in the kitchen while I cooked. And there was my dad on the noon news. He was doing a remote - a story from outside the studio. Some stupid event at the convention center.

I muted the sound and just watched the picture. I threw my sandwich in the trash.

"What am I supposed to do?!" I yelled suddenly, shocking myself. "What am I supposed to do!"

My voice sounded flat and dead in the silence of the kitchen. I felt foolish. It wasn't like me to get all emotional.

So, I think this is the first time in the books we've seen someone seriously stressed out....so stressed out that I'm actually physically worried about them.

quote:

I stood there, just staring at the cupboards.

The Ellimist. . . the bear...my father. . . . What was I supposed to do? Leave my mom and sisters?

Leave my dad? Leave my friends? Leave the whole messed-up planet?

I imagined going to see my father down at the convention center. "Dad? I have this problem."

And he would put his arm around me and fluff my hair the way he always did and say, "Come on, kid. Don't be so serious."

I turned the TV sound back on. My dad was grinning at something. He was doing some chatter with the anchorpeople back at the station.

"...be leaving us soon, and we're all sorry to hear that. But I know it will be a great opportunity for you."

"Yes, it will," my father said. "Although I will really miss all the - "

I snapped off the TV set. I felt sick inside. Like I had swallowed broken glass.

I needed to get out of the house. I needed to stop thinking.

I went upstairs and opened my bedroom window.

Several minutes later, a large bald eagle flew from my window and soared high into the sky.

We all hooked up later that afternoon at Cassie's barn.

Inside her barn there are rows of cages in all shapes and sizes, mostly full. Birds are in one area, with mammals separated from them by a partition wall. I guess it makes the birds nervous to be in the same room with foxes and raccoons.

Nervous birds hurt themselves, banging around the cages.

When I showed up at the meeting bare foot and in my morphing outfit, everyone immediately knew I hadn't exactly taken the bus to get there.

Jake and Marco were lolling on bales of hay.

Tobias was perched on a cross beam a few feet over our heads. I felt a stab of pain, seeing him that way again.

Ax did not come to these meetings, usually. He would have had to assume his human morph, and he preferred to remain in Andalite form as much as possible.

"Hi, Rachel," Marco said, looking amused, but also a little wary. "What have you been up to? Or maybe I should ask, what have you been!"

Cassie was busy changing the bandage on the wing of a sad-looking kestrel.

"Hey, Rachel," Cassie said. "Give me a hand here, will you? I didn't see you at school today."

I went and held the struggling bird as well as I could. Kestrels are small falcons. This kestrel tried to take a bite out of me, but he was too weak to do any damage.

"I felt kind of sick this morning," I told Cassie. "So I stayed home."

"But you felt better this afternoon, huh?" Jake said. "So much better that you decided to morph? How did you get here, just out of curiosity?"

Cassie was done and took the kestrel from me. I turned to look Jake in the eye. "I flew. Is that okay with you?"

He glanced at Cassie. Then at Marco. "That bear you morphed yesterday . . . you went to The Gardens and acquired that all on your own, didn't you?"
"No," I said, "I met that bear at the mall."

"Okay," Jake said. "And today you ditch school and end up morphing . . . whatever you morphed."
<An eagle.> Tobias said. <I saw a bald eagle riding the thermals this afternoon. I should have guessed. It was up for too long, acting like a buzzard. A real eagle would have perched after a while. >

"It's so nice knowing I have privacy," I said sarcastically.

<That was about noon.> Tobias said. <lf you came here in eagle morph, that would be more than two hours. You must have demorphed, then morphed again. >

Jake looked at me sharply. "You spent the whole afternoon in morph?"

"Yes, Mother," I said.

Jake jumped up and stood right in front of me, his face just inches from mine. "Don't give me your sarcasm, Rachel. You are acting really weird. That's everyone's business, because if you do something stupid, we could all end up paying the price. You go and acquire a grizzly? Without backup? You could have been killed."

"So what?" I shot back. "You heard the Ellimist. We're doomed. It's going to be Yeerks one, humans zero. We lose. So who cares about anything? Who cares if I skip school to go flying?"

Suddenly Jake just sagged. "I don't know, Rachel. I don't have any answers. I'm sick of trying to have answers. You decide. I don't want to argue with you. I don't know what your problem is, but you know what? You deal with it."

I've never seen Jake look so tired. One minute he was being strong, sensible Jake, leader of the Animorphs. And the next minute he looked exhausted. His eyes were red. He was blinking constantly. He looked like he was worn out just from breathing.

"My dad wants me to move out of state with him," I said.

Everyone just kind of stared at me. They all had blank, tired eyes, not much different from Jake's.

So, it's really not just Rachel, even though she has the stress about her dad. They're all basically exhausted by this entire thing.

quote:

"What are you going to do?" Cassie asked.

I threw up my hands. "How can I even think about something that unimportant? I mean, like we don't have bigger things to worry about? The fate of planet Earth and the human race?"

"Different things bother different people," Cassie said. "I know how you feel about your dad. "

"He's a jerk for dumping this on me!" I said loudly. "I mean . . . you know ... I mean. . . ."

It was weird. All of a sudden I felt like I was choking. Like I was ready to explode. Like my brain was spinning out of control.

"It's like . . . what am I supposed to do?!" I yelled. "After what happened last night. . . after all that, I have to decide who I want to hurt - my mom or my dad? And you guys? And - "

"Come on, Rachel," Marco said kindly. "Take it easy. Come on, you're Xena -"

"NO! No, I'm not some stupid TV character. I'm not some comic book, Marco. I'm scared, okay?! Just like all the rest of you. I'm scared of what almost happened to me last night. I'm scared just knowing that place exists down there. I'm scared about what happens to me. I just wanted to run away but I didn't think I could, so I was brave because that's the way I'm supposed to be. But now everyone's going, 'Oh, just come live with me and we'll go to ball
games,' and 'Hey, forget moving to another state, we have a whole other planet for you.' And the more exits I see, the more scared I get, all right?"

For a long time no one said anything.

Marco sighed heavily. "I've been thinking. I'm changing my vote. If the Ellimist asks again, I'm going to vote yes."

"What?" Jake demanded. "Why?"

Marco shrugged. "Rachel's losing it. If she loses it, how long are the rest of us going to last?"

"Shut up, Marco, I'm not in the mood for your jokes," I said.

"Me neither," Marco said flatly. "You know how much sleep I got last night? About an hour. Nightmares. I was a zombie in school today. I feel like . . . like my skin has all been rubbed with sandpaper. I'm jumpy. I'm scared. I'm stressed."

"It's gonna happen," Jake said.

"This was always insane, right from the start," Marco said. "A handful of kids fighting an alien invasion? Look what's happening. Tobias is trapped in a morph. Rachel is starting to use morphing to get away from her problems. The other night I woke up in bed, and I didn't know what I was. I didn't know if I had hands or fins or claws or talons. Maybe you and Cassie are immune, Jake. But I doubt it."

"We can't give up," Jake argued stubbornly.

"All we ever do is lose," Marco said. "We annoy the Yeerks. Maybe we blow up a ship, or have some little success. But the invasion marches on. And all we ever do is barely escape with our lives. We're like some baseball team that never wins a game. And now, according to the Ellimist, we know it's going to be a whole losing season. We aren't going to the play-offs.
"
"I don't care," Jake said. "I'm not giving up."

"Jake," Cassie said. "See this?" She held up her left arm and pointed to a scar above her wrist.

"I got this from a raccoon. The raccoon had been caught in a trap. Its leg was broken. I was trying to free it so I could save it. It bit me."

"We're not raccoons," Jake said.

"Aren't we? Compared to the Ellimist?" Cassie said. "Isn't it just possible he's right? That what he's trying to do is save at least a part of the human race? That he's just trying to get us out of the trap and fix our broken bones?"

"Cassie's right," Marco said. "If the Ellimist wanted to hurt us, he could just destroy us. You know it as well as I do. Fine. I'm going to let him get my leg out of the trap. But I have some conditions first. There are some people going with me. But if the Ellimist can save those people along with me, then I have to say yes."

Marco looked at me. Then Jake and Cassie and Tobias all looked at me. The vote was now two against two. I was the deciding vote.

It would mean no more battles. It would mean that somewhere, wherever the Ellimist took us, there would be no job in another state, for my dad. There would be no more painful decisions for me to make,

I opened my mouth. I started to speak.

I PROMISED I WOULD ASK YOU AGAIN.

"Uh-oh," Marco said.

I WILL SHOW YOU WHAT YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND.

And now he's back.

The Stranger-Chapter 14

I WILL SHOW YOU WHAT YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND.

In an instant, we were gone from the barn. The five of us and Ax stood side by side in the middle of an empty field of scruffy, unkempt grass. There was a long, low, tumbledown building a hundred yards away.

The Ellimist was nowhere to be seen. We were the only people around: five humans and one Andalite. Five real humans.

"Tobias!" I said.

"Yeah," he said, looking down at his hands. "This routine again."

Jake looked angry. Cassie marveled. Marco tried to smirk nonchalantly, but wasn't succeeding. No one looked tired anymore.

Ax skittered nervously on his dainty hooves and stretched his tail, as if preparing to use it.

"The Ellimist again," I said. "Did you guys hear - "

"Yeah, we heard," Jake said. "So we get another chance to change our minds."

"Where are we?" Cassie wondered. "I mean, something about this looks familiar. But I can't quite place it."

I had the same feeling. Like this empty, dusty, blasted landscape was familiar. It was Tobias who saw it first.

"The school," he said.

"What?" I said. "No way." But he was right. I looked again and realized that I knew each of those tumbled-down, destroyed buildings.

"Okay, I don't like this," Marco said. "I don't even halfway like this. I mean, normally I'm all for seeing the school blown up, but I really don't like this."

"When did this happen?" I wondered aloud. "I skip one day and the place burns down?"

"I don't think so," Cassie said in a strange, distracted voice. "I don't think this is something that's happened, past tense. I think we're talking future tense."

"Or just tense," Marco muttered.

I looked over at Cassie, wondering what she was talking about. She was staring intently up at the sky overhead. Then off toward the horizon.

"The sky," she said. "Have you ever seen it that color before?"

"It does seem slightly yellowish," Jake said.

"And the air. Doesn't it smell funny? And look, over there. The trees over behind the gym. They're dying."

"The Ellimist said he would show us something," I muttered. "So what's he showing us? Ax? You understand any of this?"

<There is a time distortion. I sense it. But I don't know what it means. >

"It's the future," Cassie said.

A chill crawled up my spine. I wanted to think Cassie was losing it. But I sensed the truth of what she said.

"Okaaaaay," Marco said. "So, what are we supposed to do now? Stand around here until the Ellimist comes back for us?"

Jake shrugged. "I guess we look around. The mall's just a quarter mile or so. It should be open."[/quote]

It's the future, the sky is yellow, the school is destroyed, and Jake figures "Lets go to the mall."

quote:

So we walked. Across the scruffy field. Beneath a sky that seemed to add yellow to blue and make patches and wisps of green, unlike any sky I had ever seen. We passed the school and I looked morbidly through the blast holes to see if we could recognize anything.

"YAAAAHHH!" Marco yelled.

He reeled back from one of the dark holes. I ran to look inside. It was a classroom. There was a skeleton lying crumpled across the teacher's desk.

"Oh, my God," Cassie whispered. "The body was just left here."

"That's Paloma's classroom," I said. "History class."

It took a few seconds for the significance of that to sink in. The body had been left there to rot. It must have taken years for it to be reduced to nothing but bones.

"Cassie's right. We're in the future," Marco said. "But that's impossible."

<Impossible for humans.> Ax said. <But not impossible for Ellimists. >

"Oh, I get it," I said angrily. "It's a little lesson. The Ellimist is showing us what happens in the future. How cute. How clever. But how do we know this is really the future, and not just some little show he's putting on?"

"Let's try the mall," Jake said. "Although I don't have a good feeling about this."

We left the school behind us. I tried not to think about who that skeleton might have been.

Some teacher? Some student? Some person who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time?

"Maybe we can check the bookstore at the mall," Marco said. "Find a World Almanac for whatever year this is. See who won all the Super Bowls. Then when we go back to our own time, we can bet on the games. Make a fortune."

Marco has seen Back to the Future Part II

quote:

I forced a laugh that came out like a grunt.

We needed to keep our spirits up. Marco was trying.

We reached the highway. Eight lanes of concrete, dead silent. Not a car. Not a truck. Empty.

On the far side of the highway was a rusted wreck of a car. Bony white hands clutched the steering wheel. We stayed away from it.

I saw something that gleamed brightly, off to the east. It seemed to run in a straight line from the far horizon to a point much closer. I squinted to see what it was.

"Too bad we don't have your hawk eyes now," I whispered to Tobias.

"It's a tube, I think. Like a long, long glass tube. There! Something is moving down it."

<It is a conveyance of some kind.> Ax said. He had turned all four of his eyes toward it. <It seems to be a glass tube that goes on for many miles. Inside it are fast-moving platforms, like your trains. Only faster. They are going perhaps three hundred or more of your miles per hour.>

"They're everyone's miles," Marco said. "You're on Earth, Ax. We all have the same miles."

<What about nations that use kilometers?> Ax asked smugly. <See? I am learning.>

Ax, no doubt tired of Marco making fun of him for saying 'Your minutes', clearly planned that ahead of time.

quote:

"Some kind of very high-speed train system," Jake said. "That's why no one is on the highway."

"The question is, who built the system?" I pointed out.

A few minutes later, we reached the mall. But it had changed. It had changed quite a bit.

"Oh, man," Marco said. "Look at that! Oh, man."

The mall was still standing. Even the sign that said "Sears" could still be seen. But holes, perfectly round and about six feet across, had been drilled into the sides of the four big department stores. There were six or eight holes in the Penney's. The same with Sears. And from the holes emerged Taxxons.

They crawled in and out of the holes. They slithered down to the ground and up to the roof.

Some were carrying boxes from a squat, bulky spacecraft that sat in the parking lot. They were unloading it like a truck, carrying silvery packages in through several of the holes.

"It's a hive," Cassie said. "It's like a beehive. Or an ant colony. They've taken it over. The mall is a Taxxon hive."

"The future the way it will be if the Yeerks win," I said. "Taxxons using the mall for a hive. I guess that means I can forget about any good sales today."

I wanted to sound tough. Like I wasn't impressed. But that was a lie. Worms larger than a grown man were crawling through holes in the mall. Skeletons lay across desks in the shattered ruins of our school, and clutched the wheels of rusted cars.

The air felt strange. The sky was no longer the sky of Earth. The trees were dying.

As we circled around the mall, we could see that the tube train made a stop there. The glass tube was raised above the ground about twenty feet, like the monorail at Disneyworld. But there did not seem to be enough supports to hold it up. It was as if it were just hanging there.

Outside the mall, a dropshaft rose up to the tube. A Taxxon entered the shaft and swept up to a platform that bulged from the side of the tube.

"Let's stay clear of any Taxxons," Tobias said.

But Marco shook his head. "Why? Don't you see? The Yeerks have won. So any humans are human-Controllers. The Taxxons would just assume we were human-Controllers."

"I guess you're right," Tobias agreed.

"Yeah. So we can go anywhere. Besides, I don't think the Ellimist brought us here to see us get killed."

I relaxed a little, realizing they were right. But still, there was a deeply disturbing feeling about all of it.

<I will morph into human form.> Ax said.

<The Yeerks may be accustomed to human-Controllers. But they will not have seen any Andalite-Controllers except for Visser Three.>

"Are you so sure?" Marco asked. "Maybe in the future the Andalites lose to the Yeerks, too."

<Never.> Ax snapped angrily.

Ax still has faith in his people.

quote:

He began to slowly melt into human shape.

"Let's hop the train," I said. "See where it goes."

"Excuse me?" Marco laughed. "Climb aboard the Yeerk version of Amtrak?"

I shrugged. "You said it, Marco. They'll think we're Controllers. And in any case, the Ellimist didn't bring us here to get us killed."

"It is sad about the mall," Ax said, now mostly human. "They had excellent foods for tasting. Tay-sting. Tasting. The Ellimist showed us much of what was excellent in your species and your planet. But he did not mention the sense of taste. Cinnamon buns. Buns. Bunzuh. And chocolate,
too."

"Yeah, we have to save any species that can invent the warm cinnamon bun," I said. "Come on, let's try this."

It only took a couple minutes to walk to the dropshaft. As we neared it, a Taxxon slithered up alongside us. He was racing to get ahead, like a rushing commuter. But aside from that, he paid us no mind.

"You think the Yeerks have a rush hour?" Marco muttered under his breath.

"Quiet," Jake snapped. "We're Controllers now, not normal humans."

The Taxxon reached the dropshaft ahead of us. He stepped in through the large opening and was immediately swept up onto the platform overhead.

We all hesitated to follow him. So I stepped forward. Seconds later I was on the platform, with the others right behind me.

We were twenty feet up, and I could see in all directions.

I nudged Tobias. A small Yeerk pool had been built on the roof of the mall. Right over the place where the food court had been. It was a shallow, sludgy pool. Half a dozen Taxxons lounged around it, almost as if they were sunbathing.

There were no cages at this Yeerk pool. Taxxons are all voluntary hosts. Another reason not to like them. At least the Hork-Bajir had resisted the Yeerks.
Suddenly, in a rush of wind, a platform came down the glass tube like a bullet.

It stopped in front of us and the Taxxon quickly slithered aboard. We followed. It was not a closed car like a train. It was just a clear platform, open at the front end and the back. There were maybe twenty standard seats, half occupied by human-Controllers. Toward the back was an open area where the Taxxon went. At the front were several larger chairs. Much larger, and made of steel with no padding.

Those had to be for Hork-Bajir. Space for about four Hork-Bajir, maybe two or three Taxxons, and seats for twenty or more humans.

So there were far more humans around than either Taxxons or Hork-Bajir, I concluded. We would not look out of place.

The train launched like a bullet down the glass tunnel. But there was no lurch. And no rushing wind. We just blew along at a speed that boggled the mind.

The trip from the suburban mall to downtown usually took half an hour by bus. We made the trip in about a minute and a half. Jake gave me a look. We were getting off here.

We rose and left the train.

"Fast," Marco said.

"Beats the bus," I agreed.

It was beyond strange, walking the streets of downtown. Entire skyscrapers were simply gone. Others now had wormholes for the Taxxons. I looked up thirty stories and saw Taxxons crawling up the sides of a building that used to be the headquarters for a bank.

The tallest building in town was the EGS Tower. It was sixty stories tall. It still stood, almost intact. But for some reason the top two floors had been sheared away, then covered with a glass dome.

Pale sunlight sparkled off the dome. It was almost like a beacon.

Humans and Hork-Bajir walked the street, side by side. But not in large numbers. In fact, the entire city seemed far emptier than it should have been.

We turned a corner and froze.

The future, everybody!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah, this whole chapter is making me think the Ellimist really doesn't want them to take the deal at all, and in fact used the last time-stop to show them the exit without breaking some kind of "rules" that may or may not exist for its time powers thing.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
that's a more optimistic future for malls than reality

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Turned into affordable multi-unit housing?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Epicurius posted:

quote:

He glanced at Cassie. Then at Marco. "That bear you morphed yesterday . . . you went to The Gardens and acquired that all on your own, didn't you?"

"No," I said, "I met that bear at the mall."

One of my favorite lines in the whole series. In the midst of all the serious poo poo going down, it's just nice to see a middle-school girl throw some middle-school attitude as a way of saying, "why are you asking me questions you already know the answer to? I have two parents driving me insane, I don't need a third."

Epicurius posted:

quote:

Marco shrugged. "Rachel's losing it. If she loses it, how long are the rest of us going to last?"

"Shut up, Marco, I'm not in the mood for your jokes," I said.

"Me neither," Marco said flatly. "You know how much sleep I got last night? About an hour. Nightmares. I was a zombie in school today. I feel like . . . like my skin has all been rubbed with sandpaper. I'm jumpy. I'm scared. I'm stressed."

"It's gonna happen," Jake said.

"This was always insane, right from the start," Marco said. "A handful of kids fighting an alien invasion? Look what's happening. Tobias is trapped in a morph. Rachel is starting to use morphing to get away from her problems. The other night I woke up in bed, and I didn't know what I was. I didn't know if I had hands or fins or claws or talons. Maybe you and Cassie are immune, Jake. But I doubt it."

"We can't give up," Jake argued stubbornly.

"All we ever do is lose," Marco said. "We annoy the Yeerks. Maybe we blow up a ship, or have some little success. But the invasion marches on. And all we ever do is barely escape with our lives.

And this is, IMO, one of the turning points of the series. It's not the first time Marco has pointed out that they're not winning and nothing is getting better. It's not the first time anyone has pointed out that Rachel is already past the point they're comfortable with and if she can't handle it, what hope do the rest of them have? But it is the first time they seem to have another valid path to take, and Marco is, very reasonably, pointing out that if there's an option that isn't "five teenagers and a stranded alien teenager fight and kill and suffer in a losing guerrilla effort," the right thing to do is probably to take it.

But Marco, of course, probably has something in mind Rachel doesn't know about : if the Ellimist is saving their families, is this Marco's path to rescuing his mother?

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Yeah, seriously, a mall where the Sears sign is still up? What a world.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Epicurius posted:

Turned into affordable multi-unit housing?

with a communal foodbank on the roof!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

and easy access to public transit!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I don't remember if this was the first post-apocalypse I read, but it sure stuck with me.

Christ, it's bleak.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

So the Ellimist is essentially the G-man.

"Rather than give you the illusion of free choice I have taken the liberty of choosing for you"

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Sentinel posted:

So the Ellimist is essentially the G-man.

"Rather than give you the illusion of free choice I have taken the liberty of choosing for you"
To be fair that's exactly what Ax said he does!

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i just had a sudden flashback to being ten years old and having a playground "battle" with my friend in which he was goku and i was a garatron. i refused to be hit by his energy beams because i was too fast; he argued that the blasts were so large i couldn't possibly outrun them. things got very heated. as an adult i am forced to admit he was probably right, but the real issue is that goku is so overpowered that representing him in a battle where the other kids were animorphs aliens and pokemon was really against the unspoken law of the playground

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

there is no worse feeling than coming to school in the character of some cool obscure new alien you read about on the weekend, only to have your friend outgun you with loving goku. what a dick move. heartbreaking

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

loving goku

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

I'dve just said " well im in a loving gundam!"
I hated/couldve given less of a poo poo about dbz as a kid. I was a gundam wing for lifer.

And for all the war crime discussion im a little late to keep in mind it's only a war crime if you lose.
The victors write the history books.

Therefore I'm of the opinion of:
"THE INVADERS MUST DIE!"

https://youtu.be/EiqFcc_l_Kk

Purge the Yeerk Xenos!

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

our school had just had a bomb threat the week before (this often happened) so we were all feeling insecure

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

fauna posted:

our school had just had a bomb threat the week before (this often happened) so we were all feeling insecure

We had multiple bogus bomb scares around 1999-2000 stretch in school. I blame it on columbine.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

to complete the mental image, i was a pudgy child with braces and a jewfro. the battle was me lumbering around making zooming noises with my mouth while my so-called friend yelled KAMEHAMEHAAAAAAA and did explosion sounds

we both ended up in tears

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Sentinel posted:

We had multiple bogus bomb scares around 1999-2000 stretch in school. I blame it on columbine.
pre-9/11, it was a rite of passage for bored teenagers to call in bomb threats to the primary schools and watch from afar as the disgruntled cops went in to check and the kids all got herded out to the safe zone. which was right next to the school, so we all knew it wasn't safe at all. one time the jehovahs' witnesses dropped in while we were all gathered outside and handed out pocket bibles, which convinced me that this was the real deal and i was going to die. i'd read about "the last rites" but didn't know anyone who'd received them or what they consisted of, so i assumed this was what it was, a nice lady showed up and gave you a pocket bible

forgive me, this post has little to do with animorphs, but it does add context re: 90s kid life

fauna fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 7, 2020

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

fauna posted:

to complete the mental image, i was a pudgy child with braces and a jewfro. the battle was me lumbering around making zooming noises with my mouth while my so-called friend yelled KAMEHAMEHAAAAAAA and did explosion sounds

we both ended up in tears

I reckon this could apply to virtually anyone with an account on the somthingawful.com forums

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
My fondest memory of Dragon Ball Z was going over to my friend's house after school in the winter and going "Why the hell are they still on Namek?"

Then going over to my friend's house after school in the summer and going "Why the hell are they still on Namek?"

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i wasn't able to fully participate in dbz culture because my mum didn't let me watch cartoons, which may have accounted for some of my anti-goku ideology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

to return to the actual topic of the thread... the books didn't hit my hometown library until they were well into the series and then we got them all at once. so the first one i read was the andalite chronicles, then started on the main series. which was a fantastic way to do things, because it meant i was already really attached to elfangor, and then

fauna fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 7, 2020