Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

But, I love this series, and it seriously deals with some incredibly heavy poo poo, and not just 'for a teen series'. It's far better than it has any right to be.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I get that they needed to establish things quickly, but man... those question sessions are just painful

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It comes along a little further on, I forget if it's in Marco's first or second book, but there's an amazing depiction of impotent rage. Seriously, this series gets deep.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Visser Three would have made a great villain if there were maybe five books. Because there are so many he just winds up looking totally ineffective, but he really does have some great moments.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Soup du Jour posted:

He does wind up kinda overused, if there were more mid-tier yeerks beyond Chapman (yeah I know there are some Taylor, Tom’s second Yeerk, the helicopter grannybut LORD Chapman’s Yeerk is doing so much heavy lifting) it probably would have helped prevent his mystique from fading some as the series progressed.

On the other hand, it doesn’t really help that he’s not at all suited to manage Visser One’s invasion plan, being a real shock and awe dude forced into covert infiltration. And as soon as he’s Visser One he very nearly succeeds in his first attempt at that type of invasion: provoke nuclear war and then enslave the survivors.

If it wasn't for the fact that the Animorphs had time to evolve from scared teenagers into an effective guerilla force, I think you can pretty safely say that his shock and awe style invasion would probably have worked. he might not have gotten everyone, and it certainly would have provoked more Andalite intervention, but they wouldn't have stopped him getting a great deal of soldiers.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Does the one woman they rescued ever get mentioned again, or is it just kinda left there?
I'm assuming she almost immediately gets merced as a threat, the Yeerks must surely have some idea of who is who

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I think these little interludes really sell the characters. Because I mean... what else would a bunch of kids do but morph birds and fly around?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

They are being hard on her, yes, but... she took an unbelievably stupid risk that could have resulted in all of them going down. It'd be bad enough if she got wasted, but if she'd been captured instead, welp, series ends on book two.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'd also like to point out that Chapman and Tom are completely useless. Chapman saw something that clearly raised his eyebrows, and Tom brought Jake AND Rachel to a Sharing meeting with the intention of wasting them if necessary... and they fail to act on the obvious connection.

It probably wouldn't hold up in court, but the pieces are all there. They're known associates, they were in the area (if not identified), and known to go through the construction site...

Just gank them and be done with it.
You muppets dips

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Daikloktos posted:

When Visser One first infests a human she's amazed to find that each brain hemisphere is a different personality communicating across a bundle of nerves no thicker than her own true body

I'm actually reading the Visser book at the moment. Ax is right when he refers to her as brilliant and dangerous. If she had been leading the invasion, it would have been over before they knew what had hit them. She is an absolute monster.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's pretty well done, honestly. There are just enough hints of the greater universe.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

This strikes me as untrue, but I'll admit that so far he isn't as impetuous as my childhood memories of him. Or maybe he was just written as less intelligent in some of the ghostwritten books.

I think at this point, despite minor setbacks, he is still relatively in control of himself. Once the guerilla war starts to really hurt him, his rage comes to the forefront.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Grammarchist posted:

I might have missed it, but what happened to the woman they rescued at the end of the first book? Not sure how a former host would react to freedom, knowing that they're powerless and a witness to an impossible conspiracy.

She's never mentioned again, make up your own story

I say she got merced, her former Yeerk could tell exactly where she lives, her habits etc

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

De-railing into Harry Potter slightly, the Dumbledore being gay thing did actually have a fair bit of subtextual support, and I think at the time the general reaction from fans was something like "oh yeah, that makes sense", it's just everything else JKR has done since that's clearly made-up post hoc for ally points.

I've read that a lot of trans Animorphs fans latched onto Tobias, and going into the re-read with that reading (and also Marco being Bi) in mind has been quite interesting.

I was raised by a lesbian mother, so spent a lot of my formative years around her gay and lesbian friends, and I absolutely, 100% picked Dumbledore as gay. I figured it was never made explicit because it honestly isn't important for his character. He'd be who he is regardless of who he is into, but all the hints were there, particularly his relationship with Grindelwald.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I think a question gets posed by a character soon, which in my opinion defines the entire series.

"How far into savagery do you go to defeat the savage?"

The answer for all bar one, is as far as you have to. Was Cassie wrong to give the Yeerks the morphing box?
From a tactical perspective, yes. Absolutely. It was just about the worst possible thing she could have done.
But, and I doubt I'll ever see this any other way, it was the right call.
That single act was her rejecting what the others were becoming. Jake all but destroyed himself, as shown post-war. Rachel died fighting.
Cassie didn't want to be the savage anymore. She tried to walk away once in the series as it was, and I think she understood that the Yeerks were not a monolithic, evil entity. They were just scared little slugs knowing they were at the mercy of anyone and everyone that had actual bodies. She gave them a way out, and she kept her humanity.

This is incredibly heavy poo poo for a supposed children's series.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Except giving the Yeerks the cube is tactically the smartest thing to do because it short circuits the whole reason for the war in the first place. The Yeerks engage in wars of conquest because they need hosts, and with the morphing power that entire motivation is rendered unnecessary.

Cassie’s ability to see her enemies not as cartoonish villains (difficult, given Visser Three and all) but as people with understandable if antagonistic goals and objectives lets her end an intergalactic war.

Certainly in the moment it happened though, very bold.

That's a strategic shift though. It makes their immediate situation much worse because now they are fighting against morph-capable Controllers.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

TWO SECONDS

uh elfangor that seems kinda short

RUN YOU DUMMIES THE VISSER WILL BE HERE ANY MILLENIUM

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I don't see how you make a book serial into a film

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

I reckon my ideal would be a three season TV show. 10 or so episodes per season, ditch the filler, and you've got a solid show right there.

poo poo, you're pretty much on the money

first ten books, second ten books, the megamorphs specials (except maybe the crazy as poo poo what if the andalite never arrived one) and the chronicles specials as double episodes or something, then the final ten books

i'm sold

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Epicurius posted:

The Invasion-Chapter 13

So those are the advantages and disadvantages of hawk/human. No homework vs no deep sleeps, showers, and knowing what time it is.

Marco says that, but is it really true? Marco and Jake are best friends, Rachel and Cassie are best friends, Jake and Rachel are cousins. It seems like they have a natural, easily explainable reason to hang out together.

How much, do you think, is this Tobias believing this, or how much is it him trying to convince himself?

This, honestly, seems like an extremely terrible idea, and Jake hasn't even explained it yet.

The funny thing is, when I read this as a kid it seemed like a plausible idea. Get sucked up, break loose, wreak havoc.

As an adult who works on ships for a living... well, assuming you could get into the tanks without being shredded by the pumps, you would never get out. Tanks are sealed from the outside and unless you're one of those ultra-rare plasma cutter fish, welp.

But don't tell Jake this, dude's got hella moxie.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The yeerks are guerillas being attacked by gorillas

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Khizan posted:

The part that gets me is that they never realize here that, while the Yeerks may have some difficulty infesting Earth by stealth right now, they could almost certainly take Earth over by force quite easily. Anybody with that level of technology has the ability to just sit in orbit and hammer Earth with kinetic energy weapons until Earth gives up, and there's nothing Earth could do about it.

They could just sit up there and fling rocks at the planet until Earth agreed to hand over ten million hosts and there's fuckall that five morphing teenagers could do about that.

It's not really touched on now, but I think it's made clear later that if the Yeerks go loud, tipping their hand about what they're trying to do, the Andalites bring their whole fleet.

I guess the Andalites don't really do the whole military intelligence thing though, because surely a halfway competent leadership structure would see this big fat juicy target and go ".....yeah, we should probably guard that."

Oh god. They're just as dumb as us.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

MrNemo posted:

I'm reading this thread because I just about remember animorphs from a trip to the States when I was a kid. It caught my attention purely because the covers kind kind of like goosebumps and the Mighty Morphing power rangers were on television in the UK (might be misremembering that bit). I never actually did read them but something about the title kind of stuck in my head.

God drat is this not what I was expecting, it actually reads a bit like a competent writer was told, 'write a series detailing a group of humans inducted into a desperate guerrilla war to save the planet from aliens involving body horror, alienation, questions of identity and three morality of genocide as 80s/90s YA'

Apparently she actually wanted to write a young adult series about what it would be like to be animals and she went what would make that possible and it basically grew from there

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Those two things go together about as well as cowboys fighting on horseback and spaceships, and yet, firefly

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Marco probably loved how far ahead of everyone else Palpatine was

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

That's part about what I love about Visser Three. The dude has the ultimate infiltration, subterfuge, and espionage ability at his disposal, and through a combination of ego and idiocy insists on being as absolutely blatant as possible. And the one time he DOES try to do any kind of morphing skullduggery, he's outted instantly because he can't sell an act for poo poo.

Are you referencing Tobias's fake cousin

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i do like the analogy of a torpedo bomber

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Oh god, incompetent henchmen shooting their own ship is just precious :allears:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yes, and it's telling when late in the game, Cassie says to him "we still need you," when hes borderline catatonic, because she knows that's the only thing that will reach him

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

disaster pastor posted:

Another underestimated aspect of the series: I feel like any other elementary-school-audience author would have given the kids one successful plan in the first three books. Here, nope, this is a helplessly hosed situation and the best they can do is still well short of success.

If you look at it from the Visser's perspective, his otherwise pretty successful invasion is getting stinging pinpricks. No serious blows, but for a third time he's been unable to pin down the culprits.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Forget that, I want to talk to whoever manufactures the vacuum pumps for the Yeerks because goddrat that thing works

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Wait

Hang on

Tobias mentions only a few feet between the ship and the water's surface

Vacuum alone (which it has to be since they don't get mulched by pumps) can only lift through 9m

loving A+ Applegate

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I still have this saved on my phone, I'm not entirely sure when I got it

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Elfangor picked up Americana pretty quick, homeboy rolled around in his mustang listening to the stones and chugging doctor pepper

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I specifically recall it being honky tonk blues

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Not to mention existing authority figures are shown to be infiltrated - police, their high school - their decision to go on hit and runs makes a lot more sense

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Huh. Yup, she looks very Cassie.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Many good Cassie books on both sides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007