Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The books where you had graphic depictions of various individual yeerks starving to death and dying were surprisingly dark when they happened.

Especially since they were presented as sympathetic characters, when there was one book where one of the Animorphs made a deal with the Yeerk of the book (I forget the reason, something to do with freeing the person they were controlling in exchange) to morph into a caterpillar for some dumbass reason and run out the time limit and said Yeerk was freaking out because they couldn't communicate to the caterpillar that they changed their mind and could morph back (and they'd free the person they were inhabiting) and started weeping and crying about it before committing suicide by starvation I had to take a moment to get over the "What the gently caress? That is monumentally hosed up for a kid's book" bit.

Did anybody else catch the similarities between the Big Bad Transdimensional Entity of the later books and Korrok from the John Dies At The End series? I wonder if David Wong borrowed the idea from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Radio Free Kobold posted:

The only thing I remember about any of that Krayak(?)/Ellimist plotline is that Ellimist sounded suspiciously similar to a lovely wizard in Forgotten Realms.

The bit about Krayak's child soldiers of the future being defeated by a memory of Jake and Cassie kissing was pretty eye-rolling when I read it, though. :lol:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
He's currently in The Rookie with Nathan Fillion as a hilariously badly written lawyer, too.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Oh yeah, Marco's mom being Visser Two was an oh poo poo moment.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I like the censorship in YA books whenever a character swears.

Let go a few choice words, indeed.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Epicurius posted:

Ah, see, you noticed it when Rachael did it, but apparently you didn't give a rat's rear about Tobias doing it earlier. :)

Who the gently caress is Racheal? Rachel was the one swearing.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

chitoryu12 posted:

One of the benefits to using inhuman aliens: nobody gives a poo poo if you gruesomely crush them into bloody pulp in full detail.

Also brutally murdering humans is fine as long as the actual death happens off "screen".

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Man I can't wait until this thread gets to the book where we find out Tobias was literally Elfangor's son because he hosed Tobias's mom and that's why our heroes were given the ability to morph to begin with--it was for Tobias but the rest of them also got it because they happened to be there and that's when Tobias is thankful he got morph-locked as a hawk because his inability to show facial expressions after years of being a hawk kept him from reacting in human form when he got the ability to morph into his former human shape for two hours at a time.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ytlaya posted:

The animorphs should acquire the morph of a funnel-web spider or something and just have another animorph deposit them onto Visser three.

Though I guess you could use the excuse of alien biology not responding to the venom.

I forget which book it happens in, but somebody gets a poisonous/venomous morph at some point and they very nearly kill Visser 3; force him to abandon the Andalite body, in fact, but they fail to rescue the mentally-broken Andalite and he gets ridden by Visser 3 again.

The animorphs really are a bunch of fuckups.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Fritzler posted:

editted question: Does anyone ever come looking for Tobias? I don't remember

Yeah. That's the book when we learn he's literally the son of the Andelite that gave everybody morph abilities; Visser 3 was trying to track said son down and Tobias only gets away because he keeps a straight face after months of living as a hawk and having not used those facial muscles in forever--after he gains his old human form as a morph via the Ellemist..

Yeah, that actually happened.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Fritzler posted:

I remembered that Elfangor was his dad/Ax was his uncle, but not the rest of that spoiler at all. That's wild.

Yeah, Visser-3 basically says something about hating Elfangor, but that hate becoming a type of pity after seeing what his child grew to be, that line was pretty good because the Animorphs in general are awful people, but I don't remember it being mentioned again.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
So what book does Rachel die in? I just read a book where They let the Yeerks capture Tobias to intentionally take a shot from their Anti-Morphing Ray, because if he's in hawk morph and takes the hit it'll "prove" their machine doesn't work, and I could've sworn she was going to die in that one.

Also holy hell the torture and slowly feeding two humans to Taxxons to punish them for that AMR failure.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

wizzardstaff posted:

It's the second-to-last book, isn't it?

I don't know. I'm on book... 33, I think? I'll have to check again when I get home and open my ebook reader.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Tree Bucket posted:

Um, um, what? This is what I get for stopping at Book Nine or something.
Can I get a few more spoiler-tastic details? Sounds rad.

I just read the book where this happens and it involves Tobias getting nearly tortured to death by Yeerks trying to get another morphing host until the other animorphs show up and save him.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Avalerion posted:

What did happen to the morphing cube they used to get powers anyway, did the yeerks accidentally incinerate it with the andalites ship?

Turns out that somebody hid it and it becomes an important plot device at least twice.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Also when was the last time someone in an official Pokemon storyline used a pokemon's abilities to roofie someone so they could get laid (or straight up raped someone while amped on pokemon abilities)?

Codex Alera sucks if you pay too much attention to the poo poo actually going on.

Just finished the book where Ax-man talks about a suicide-mission by an Andalite hit squad where they want to introduce a virus to a Yeerk pool that could mutate and also kill all of humanity that he and the Animorphs stop before it can be successful.

Good grief every book has some really dark poo poo happening in it now.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I read a book in the series where Marco claims that The Phantom Menace was awesome and it made me immediately hate him for the rest of the book.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I just finished the book where the poor Buffalo that helps the Animorphs in several fights in the book gets blown to bits.

drat.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
They're basically Futurama Killbots, yeah.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Nah, I just finished the series and they totally dumb luck their way through everything.

I mean, holy poo poo.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

wizzardstaff posted:

I think they've discussed this plan already so it's not really a spoiler to talk about their reasons for not doing it:

1) They value the lives of the human hosts, who are essentially hostages. Jake doesn't want to kill his brother Tom but he also doesn't want to kill a random stranger who happens to have a Yeerk in his head. Unless that stranger is a Hork-Bajir or Taxxon.

2) If they managed to just take out the slug inside a Controller and spare the host, then the aliens will want to re-acquire their asset with a new Yeerk. The teens can't provide witness protection.

3) If they decide to save people in a public way that prevents the Yeerks from silently taking them back, then they switch from a cold war to a hot one which they are not prepared to fight.

So they're stuck with sabotage and nonlethal interference. It would really help if they could recruit some experienced strategists or freedom fighters who could help them execute a guerrilla war. But they're in suburban California and don't know any insurgents, and on top of that they have no idea who to trust. Their best hope lies in teaming up with a stranded Andalite teen, a traitorous human edgelord, and a group of disabled kids who get used as pawns. And also an underground civilization of pacifist robot dogs.

That's going to really gently caress new readers up later on because we find out all of the Hork-Bajir and Taxxon slaves later on are fully sentient creatures with their own cultures and reasons they want out from under the Yeerk thumb and Jake has Rachel kill Tom anyway.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Epicurius posted:

This, however, is a pretty good book (Except for one part in the end that I think is kind of stupid and I plan on mocking whale Jesus), so don't worry, new Animorphs fans! You're going to have a good time.

(Also, when a mod or IK gets around to it, could you change then name and number of the book to Book 4: The Message? Thanks!)

Whale Jesus never showing up again in the series was kind of a letdown. I was hoping for something truly epic to happen later in the series, but nope.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The worst book is the Rachel starfish book

I will die on this hill

Honestly Rachel got poo poo on pretty hard by the series.

At least Cassie is the only one that survives after Jake and the rest of the surviving OG Animorphs decide to ram their space ship into the Yeerk ship that is taken over by whatever the Evil multidimensional entity is.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ManlyGrunting posted:

Yeah, a lot of the moral quandaries raised in this series are really good (and probably shaped young me more than I realize) but they're hesitance to morph intelligent animals (or people, to a lesser extent) always felt kind of weak to me. Then again, most nine year olds don't have the most developed moral compass for things like identity fraud

Plus the way they abandoned that in later books when it was convenient kinda made it seem needlessly restrictive in retrospect.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Cassie definitely got the worst of the body horror experiences through the series though.

That poor buffalo and ant man. That was a hosed up book.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Don't forget there was literally a Star Trek movie that involved time travel and whales to save the Federation/Earth from destruction.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
If you think a spoiler is such that it could ruin your enjoyment of a book series, don't read the spoiler. The tags are there so people that have already read the series can discuss it without spoiling it for you.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

feetnotes posted:

You'd think they could go seagull, fly down, then back to human before morphing dolphin. I guess they get better at the logistics later!

Also, Cassie was fine getting her hands dirty when she went all pro ice on that Cop-Controller in the first book.

ACAB, though. Also the books don't mention it much, but don't forget Cassie's background and that these books took place in the US.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Well your avatar checks out

Somebody hasn't read Everworld by the same author that wrote these books.

Its a recurring theme in her books and it isn't exactly subtle.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Daikloktos posted:

That bit in Megamorphs where she gets called the N-Word and obliges the guy in becoming white was pretty great.

The book where she goes to Australia and teams up with some Kangaroos and Aborigines to take out Visser 3's hit squad with boomerangs and badass kangaroo muscles was neat, too.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The weirdo fire monster thing seems like an incredibly useful morph that he should've used more often, in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Obtaining a Yeerkbane morph would probably require a bit more competence than we've seen so far though.