Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Epicurius posted:

I will say, in general, he's very much a children's book villian.

Visser One, on the other hand, is smart, patient, pragmatic, and terrifying.

Visser Three was terrifying when I was younger, an unbelievable cartoon villain when I got older, and now someone with his level of competence can become president and so I'm back to being terrified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

e: was it just me, or were dolphins a massive *thing* in the 90's?

Dolphins are cool. You don't need a porpoise for including dolphins.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Gun Jam posted:

(also, a bit late, but about getting angry at the actor selling his own species - have you considered he's being lied to? For all he knows, Visser 3 is the good guy)

The great thing about this series being about a bunch of teenagers who were in the wrong place at the wrong time is that a whole lot of stuff is plausibly excused as kids being dumb teenagers.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
This is the one that stuck with me the most, and is easily one of the best in the series.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Cassie is a teenager who is weary of the war and has learned of the existence of Yeerks who are against the war and now desperately wants to prove that some common ground can be found. She's not making sound logical decisions.

It honestly wasn't until I was revisiting the series with this thread that I realized how much this series presents everything as completely awful. All this fighting and struggling isn't fun and exciting: it's awful and terrifying and stressful and all sorts of other negative things, and you can see it wearing on everyone. There's two teenagers here arguing over whether they should kill a little girl to kill the parasite inside to keep their secrets safe, and none of this is presented as a good thing, or there being an obvious right answer: just two very bad options in a sea of worse options after a long road of other bad options. Even the point of view character, who you'd expect to be the "right" one, isn't desperately trying to convince everyone of her obviously correct moral position but is just tired and struggling to find another solution even as she knows and has known one doesn't exist.

like it's obvious right now that these kids are forever scarred and traumatized for life, and this isn't even the halfway point. No wonder other books I read around that time (e.g. Harry Potter) seemed stupidly optimistic.

"Oh, Harry, you got all the way to fifteen before you realized authorities couldn't be trusted and everything was on your shoulders and you started having nightmares? Let me tell you about Yeerks..."

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

quote:

<Yes, a Helmacron female may not ascend to a position of importance in our society unless it is certain that she will not cause problems. She must be a symbol that all can admire.>

“Kind of like our society,” I muttered.

there's something you don't feel the impact of when you're reading this at eight or nine.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Epicurius posted:

It's everyone's old friend the Drode! Also, this is a disturbing world. and I'm trying to imagine what it must have been like reading this as a kid.

Really really freaky, but at the same time, not as bad as you'd think, for reasons that are now apparent to me as pretty horrifying. A lot of the undertones and attitudes expressed didn't seem that different to what the real world was like growing up. The idea that a band of kids could be the last defense against an alien invasion to defend a world that was barely any better and wouldn't be able to set aside their own differences and biases was disturbingly realistic.

Like, take this:

quote:

Poverty is widespread, curable diseases run rampant,

and realize that this is a problem today! (though sometimes with "treatable" instead of "curable" but at this point we've lived through the point here)

or this:

quote:

What do they care whether we wipe out a bunch of Primitives?

and realize you've heard people in positions of influence and power talk like this.

It's entirely Applegate's style to present an oppressive fascist alternate reality and have bits that are similar to reality just to highlight the point of how our own society is incredibly flawed.

This is a really good one, basically.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I remember reading this one. If I recall correctly, this is an especially depressing one, even by the standards of this series and Jake books.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Mean Epicurius posts an Animorphs Let's Read because he likes us to suffer. Nice Epicurius is the same way but pokes HA to keep the thread title updated.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Whales and dolphins having near human, or even above human, intelligence and wisdom was a very 90s trope. Cassie talked to a whale in one of the early books.

It's funny that of all the pop culture references, this is what dates the series the most.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Epicurius posted:

Sorry about this. Today has been a very long and stressful day for me. Chapters tomorrow.

you've been disgustingly consistent for over two years now. Take whatever time you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

dungeon cousin posted:

I kinda wonder who Visser One is if Marco is Visser Two. Could be Chapman or maybe Tom since Esplin as emperor.

It's gotta be Chapman. Even as Visser One he still needs to be a perpetual vice principal.