Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Homora Gaykemi posted:

i can't tell you where i'm from, and i say kill 'em all!

Popping foward in time from many days of thread catchup to say this is the perfect thread title forever :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think we learn in later books that andalites are basically dominated by their military command due to the war, and the civilians are getting tired of them and their unaccountability. Which really implies that this *wasn't* the case before the war. So presumably the samurai-ish warrior poet caste ran in parallel to the rest of society, rather than ruling it?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

To spoil a later book (don't recommend unless you know the series I guess) the andalites' evolution and technological development was pretty heavily messed around with in order to use them as proxies in the eternal hellwar

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

But that just raises more questions! How have they been able to maintain their incredibly smug warrior culture for so long with no actual war? Surely honour duels can only get you so far before the whole soldier caste becomes foppish and aristocratic?

And the Andalites are quite the opposite of foppish, if older soldiers like Alloran are anything to go by. He and others imply that the 'poet' half of warrior poet is being forced on them by the civilian government to make war more paletable.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

<Oorah>

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think they should be obliged to take prisoners if possible, but in practice they are deep behind enemy lines on an urgent mission. I would equate flushing the tanks to bombing a barracks, it isn't pleasant but they are in a war for survival and it's a valid military target.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

But actually I suppose a better framing would be - should soldiers be allowed to refuse a surrender when they're still fighting and urgently need to be somewhere?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Andalite FOOOOOLS

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I reckon it was Cassie; remember she's ice cold when she wants to me and may or may not have killed a controller with her bare hands in the first book while the rescue team was turning into tigers.

EFB

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

:goon::goon::goon:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

freebooter posted:

And discovering Earth - the first place with a species in that last category - is what rockets Visser One up to being Visser One, like how getting an Andalite body is the reason Visser Three is Visser Three. It nonetheless still feels like a backwater although the Andalites clearly have an eye on it because they lost a Dome ship there

Time for a new prequel, The Morpher Who Came in from the Cold.

It's a gritty spy procedural about andalite intelligence (Le Carre spoilers I guess) getting all Visser 3's rivals gulaged because as long as he is there no one competent can take over the conquest of Earth

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I thought Ax's lie was smart and deliberate - he's not allowed to tell them that there's something he isn't allowed to tell them.

So rather than get himself put in the brig for treason he gives them the worst cover story he can think of while winking furiously.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

freebooter posted:

It would be great if every Andalite ship after this installs a Leeran Compliance Officer who is there to look out for traitors, but because they're so few and far between, actually just ends up reporting the most mediocre breaches of the rules like the worst kind of middle manager.

I'm now imagining Toby from the Office as a giant alien frog.

"Uh huh... well you can't do that... I know the airlock is stuck but you can't :smith:"

It is funny to see a traitor though because you'd think that is one area where the Yeerks would be absolutely hopeless. Away from Earth (where they can shock and awe us with ~we are the future this is the only way~) what incentive would anyone have to defect? The Yeerks don't seem to have cushy suburban cottages and a pension for old informants. It's just eternal enslavement all the way down.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

freebooter posted:

Was it actually the reactor or is that just what they assumed? My first thought would be it was one of the warheads.

Also lol if you think it's embarrassing to explain to Ax why the US has nuclear weapons in the 1990s, try explaining to him why Britain does.

Actually we have a better reason to have them than the US! No one could realistically conquer the US by land, but they could certainly invade us

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think Cassie 's character is consistent in that - she is serious about her ethics and thinks them through fully, which normally just pops up in the story as benign finger wagging and people see her as a softy.

But then an actual dilemma pops up and, because she has already given serious thought to her morality, if she has decided it's right to kill a bitch she'll just do it while the rest of them :catstare:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I love the thermals rising off the napalm in the mornings

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The leopard poses dramatically

<FOOLS! Your earth creatures do indeed make for the most fascinating of morphs>

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think the other thing with Yeerks is simply - do they have enough Yeerks? They have the one pool ship and one pool on the surface, unless more are introduced later?

Even if there are tens of thousands, it wouldn't be enough to win an open war on the surface. And presumably if they started openly moving a proper invasion force, the andalites would realise that there was a major prize at stake and scramble right after them.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Some proper actual professionals posted:

“Hi, Cassie, what’s up?”

“Hey, you know what? I heard Letterman got canceled. Is that true? No more Dave?”

Now it was more than a tingle. Of course Letterman wasn’t canceled. Cassie had just been looking for a way to say “Dave.” As in David. David was missing.

“Did you check TV Guide?”

“No. I looked everywhere else, though. Everywhere.”

“Well, don’t worry about it. He’ll be there at the usual place, the usual time.”

Can just say that I'm also following the Let's Read James Bond thread and it is mind blowing how much better the animorphs are at this than the man himself :nsa:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

They're dead and Jake is blanking it out of his memory :smith:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I was getting ready to moan about how David is just an irredemable <<evil psychopath>> character but actually reading again as an adult he's quite well done.

He just has a very believable, childlike selfishness that he hasn't grown out of yet.

Now he's off to war! *rock music, helicopter montage*

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, the other option for killing without hesitation or regret is Cassie, and if she's decided someone needs to die she's not waiting for Jake's say-so to do it.

The find a dead lion covered in bite marks from a wolf. Cassie strolls put of the nearest shop with some newly acqured, hideous jeans.

"Had to be done" :shrug:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It sort of depends - presumably they wouldn't waste space on an invasion ship carrying yeerks who are unwilling or unable to take a host?

Or even if they do bring them along, are they not basically using their own people as hostages against more moralistic races? A bit like a modern dictator - topple me and you'll hurt my people more than you'll hurt me!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Let's read Animorphs: Do as Dak Hamee has done

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Let's read Animorphs: They shend one of yoursh to the hoshpital...

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

These starfighters are small. Those starfighters are far away

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Thats a big ask for a lawyer next to a laundry.

Or was that a metaphor? :thunk:

Better call Saul!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Desert adventure! :toot:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

*wild shredder fire*

<GIT SOME>

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Relevant to bunz chat:

I believe Ax would simply die of excitement.

With this we can disable the entire andalite fleet! They'll make me sub visser for sure!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think it is interestingly dated, based on the old idea of fascism where you absolutely crowbar ideology into everyone from a young age. Part of it is the need for exposition, but there is a lot of "as you know we must destroy the SAVAGE HORDES" for some middle class teenagers.

In modern times we have discovered that actually most undisturbed peole don't care about ideology and the savvy modern tyrant can do whatever they want with minimal mental gymnastics.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

For some days a fly has been buzzing around the Imperial command post at Dieppe. Officers complain they can no longer focus, and their reports are now starting to contain even basic errors.

> That's it, we're moving the command post.
> It's just a fly.
> FOOLS! They are Andalite bandits in morph!! Bring me the head of the watch commander!!!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

IMO it makes excellent sense to keel her alive so she and V3 can continue to waste Yeerk resources feuding with each other.

Also having a load of controllers escape to report she was bailed out by andalites hiding in her bathroom will only stir the pot further :nsa:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah I do love that description.

Riding the bright clean line baby :ese:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Jake hasn't been reading about historical generals; he has been mainlining the George Smiley novels

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

This does however miss the fact that torture is incredibly effective at its primary purpose! Which is, when your boss tells you to be brutally effective even if it means you're getting your hands dirty, because his boss in say some sort of political sphere tells him he is expected to take off the kid gloves and do whatever it takes, the sanitised video footage will 100% prove to both of them you're a Tough Guy Who Gets It Done.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Even if she's voluntary there's a line between 'yes please give me cutting edge medical care and show me a galaxy I never knew existed' and 'yes, sign me up to the space KGB post haste'. It isn't like she can back out now.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah the Emillist chronicles was the birth of my love for fiction where the universe is bizarre and ultrahostile and likely to warp you beyond recognition

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Alloran was desperate, psychotic and behind enemy lines so I never thought he asked command for permission to launch a genocide virus. He had to get the arn to assemble it for him. Maybe I missed a bit?

freebooter posted:

Although I'm not sure the outrage of the international community is something the Andalites need to care about since apart from the Yeerks themselves there don't seem to be any other powerful races. Maybe it's more the outrage of their own people.

I always got the impression that the galaxy was quite sparsely populated. There are tons of species but they seem to be very very far away from each other and don't need to interact much unless they're in an actual war.

We later find out that the andalites are bordered by a vastly more advanced species and that the two have generally agreed to ignore each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I was just thinking that - are we sure this isn't Mean Rachel who is literally unable to conceptualise the future?

I mean even if it was resistance flag waving, there's no one to rally!