Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

We'll have to get small to track them, just in case. I bet THIS insect morph won't go horribly wrong!

Hey, the cockroach morph didn't lead to ego death. One out of four ain't bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
There's only so many times you can say "this book got surprisingly dark" but jesus christ did this book get surprisingly dark.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I was quite surprised to learn that Safeway is a regional chain, which helps locate the animorphs on the west coast.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Huh. Maybe there's just regions it isn't in.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Are... are crocodiles really that much tougher than a bear?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
The Yeerks are waging a war of annihilation, with their end goal being the complete enslavement of, as far as we know, every other intelligent species in the galaxy. I don't think Elfangor is wrong not to kill them, but but Alloran would still be justified in doing so. Additionally, the only time you can really ever kill a Yeerk without also killing a slave at the same time is when the Yeerk is entirely helpless (excluding the rare chance of capturing one and tying it down for 3 days until it starves to death, which seems like a worse moral act really, since you torture both the Yeerk and the host). The fact that the Taxxon's are willing hosts, doing this to avoid the endless hunger definitely adds a wrinkle, but this is still the Yeerks on the way to arming themselves for battle to conquer every other species.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

quote:

“I really don’t care, shoot! Shoot! Kill it! SHOOOOOT!”

I love soon to be Visser Three.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Everyone's name for their planet just translates to Earth :v:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Epicurius posted:

So, why are tanks on an air force base?

To fight the aliens, duh.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

quote:

The girl wearing the costume stuck her head up and said, “Hey! What’s the matter with you?”

<Aaaahhhh!> the visser moaned. <What kind of creature is that?>

This might be the funniest bit out of all the books this far.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
For some reason the ocean world shark heist chapters are the only ones I can remember from this book. The random controller guard must have really stood out to me.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

GodFish posted:

For some reason the ocean world shark heist chapters are the only ones I can remember from this book. The random controller guard must have really stood out to me.

Okay it turns out I also remembered Marco pretending to be a Controller to his mother. Still not sure why I couldn't remember anything else, like the super sharks. Good book though, drat.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I hate dropbox's ui too

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
KILL ALL YEERKS

What an absolute time capsule.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Flies don't have lungs?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Epicurius posted:

Bet Marco is going to feel dumb spending his dad's money on all that oatmeal now.

Maybe he'll like it.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Maple ginger oatmeal sounds like a genuinely disgusting combination honestly.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I really didn't expect them to actually get the chance to oatmeal the pool, even 500 yeerks was probably a pretty hefty blow to the war effort.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Why would being in a coma stop a yeerk from controlling you like normal, aren't they already forcing brainwaves and stuff? Do yeerks lose control when you're asleep? Do they lucid dream, unable to control your body?

Why can't Ax just morph a fly, fly into the white house and then demorph, why do they need the secret service guy as a go between morph?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
drat being a yeerk really sucks lol

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

freebooter posted:

I think (though this is, like, "Harry has to go back to the Dursleys because of maaaaagic" reasoning - the actual answer is that it would disrupt the series) alerting the government would be a bold move that could trigger an all-out war. The Yeerks don't want an all-out war because while they'd eventually win, it would be devastating and kill hundreds of millions or maybe billions of potential hosts, and the Animorphs don't want that either for obvious reasons.

Although even as I write this I realise that this is basically exactly their plan here, so...?

Yeah that's the thing, I can buy not wanting to expose the truth but most of the time they seem to forget that and try to expose the truth, like with the water supply ship from earlier, or this plan.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Mind readers would basically negate the biggest advantage of either side of the war.

The next book is so wild, I love it, though it's unfair that they don't get to keep their morphs :colbert:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
It's because Dinosaurs are cool and Volcanoes are cool :v:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Just acquire the T-Rex Marco, come on.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I've read random books throughout the run, including the very last one and one about the two guys.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
They should have kept the dino morphs :colbert:

I really like this one, and it has a different tone of grimness to most of the darker books. I guess that's what happens when you have to commit genocide to keep the timeline on track.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
This book is great so far but it's bothering me a bit that Karen's Yeerk doesn't just swap hosts while Cassie is asleep.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Good points!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Grammarchist posted:

Visser Three shows up to David's house, but in a comical coincidence he's actually trying to buy David's cat.

Visser Three has started keeping a pet cat, but to insure they aren't being replaced by Andalite Bandits he eats his cat every day and gets a new one.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Do we know if thought speech translate languages? Do any animals ever react to thought speech? Will spawn get anything out of visser threes interrogation?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Ax is definitely right though. I completely missed this section of the books so I don't know what happens here but adding one member is a massive risk for completely marginal gains. If they were recruiting a bunch of people at once it'd be a different story.

They probably should have just not told him about Tobias at first so he could safely watch him for a few days.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
The Taxxon's definitely have the roughest deal of any of the aliens we've seen

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I don't think a yeerk president can actually do much more to defend himself against v3 than either the real president or any yeerk under his command. What's he going to do, tell the world about the yeerk invasion? Not go back to the yeerk pool to feed so v3 can't kill him?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
No kidding

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I'm surprised the yeerks ever bothered to record or report the hork-bajir names. They'd need to keep track of humans for the stealth invasion but otherwise remembering the personhood of your hosts seems like a loosing idea.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Big props to Tobias for calling out the boyscouts homophobia in like 1997 or something.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Maybe it gets terrible but so far this book rules.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Based on the little snippets at the start of chapters they seem pretty genocidal - maybe they're just attacking everything that moves?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
So far the Helmacrons really only did so well against the animorphs because they had the blue box to use as a shrink ray. Without it, how are they going to do anything but annoy Visser Three?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I can't believe so many people were hating on this book, this is incredible :allears: