Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Glad I finally caught up!

It's so strange how I clearly remember small moments from this series and have no idea from which books they are from. When I saw the cover of this book I couldn't remember anything about Jake morphing a rhino so I was excited to be going through a book I hadn't read. Jake almost dying as a fly was something else I had no memory of. But then came the scene of Ax sucking down packets of sauce and getting the group kicked out which is something I remember clear as day!

I'm not sure how to feel about taking human DNA. As long as it doesn't hurt them it should be fine? How could you hurt someone by morphing into them? I guess you could damage someone and their reputation with the actions you take while morphed as them. I also do wonder what they're gonna do about clothes if they have to morph an adult. They might need specific clothes or work badges.

dungeon cousin fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I had completely forgotten that the oatmeal lets the Yeerks survive without Kandrona. I only remembered that it made them go crazy.

It's extremely terrifying that the Yeerk never has to leave its host. Add to that that there's probably no way to coerce it to leave. It really makes the situation feel hopeless.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Just in the last book, it was all-but outright stated that humans don't survive the process not-Bill Gates used to extract the Yeerks from their brains, and if anyone would know how to get a Yeerk out of someone's body, it'd be him. Granted, he clearly didn't value the hosts' lives so there may have been some other method he wasn't using, but to the best of my knowledge no other way of getting a Yeerk out of someone's head is discovered throughout the series.

Yeah with Fenestre it really depends on if he would even care about letting the host live and go free. The easiest method for him probably would have been to quickly kill the host and then take the defenseless Yeerk. No struggle and no chance for the other Yeerks to discover what he's doing.

dungeon cousin fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 7, 2021

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I feel bad for Ax since it seems the rest of the gang don't always tell him everything that's related to whatever mission they're on. You'd think someone would have told him what oatmeal is in all the weeks they've been digging.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

freebooter posted:

That whole scene confused me at first because I assumed the stairways out of there were through tunnels, but I guess it's like... a spiral staircase running around the edge of the cavern, exposed to the whole complex? In which case I have no idea how they did all that demorphing without being spotted by everybody down below, or how they managed to bring the roof down without totally destroying the cavern. But eh whatever.

The inside cover shows one of the stairways.

It doesn't match up to how I imagined it either. I thought it was an enclosed stairway going straight up, so when Rachel shot at the ceiling I imagined a tunnel caving in.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I wonder what Andalites think about having the ability to consume meat. I don't recall Ax ever talking about it though he doesn't seem to care about that when he goes on a tasting frenzy.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I didn't remember the name of the Andalite bird so until now I had assumed they were talking about two different species. The bird they used for morph training I imagined was analogous to a sparrow or a pigeon and the one Visser 3 used was like a raptor.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
When I first read the book I had wondered why the gang couldn't have told the Mercora to leave the planet knowing that there's no sign of them in Earth's history and that it would be glassed pretty soon. They could have told them that they might have found somewhere else to settle since humans have no knowledge of the Mercora in the present. But I've realized that if they did that the Mercora probably would have just resettled on Earth since there's no guarantee they would have found another suitable planet. Then from there, they would have drastically changed Earth's evolutionary history.

Also, it's interesting that broccoli survived the extinction event. The Mercora settlement was right at ground zero and they probably didn't travel too far to expand their fields once the Nesk had fled.

GodFish posted:

They should have kept the dino morphs :colbert:

At least it's consistent with the Jake's experience in The Forgotten.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
One of the covers was pretty misleading.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

gourdcaptain posted:

Clearly, Visser Three thought this random leopard razor-focused on attacking one of their hosts must be an Andalite Bandit and sent all of his people to track it down to the exclusion of following any of the other leads in the book. :P

That might be what happened to the leopard if there was no mention of it getting captured. Human-Controllers are probably instructed to eliminate any out of place animal they come across.

I guess one way that Karen can be free without drawing attention from the Yeerks is if she's still going to the pool every three days to not seem suspicious. Yeerks somehow know when their host is being dipped into the pool, maybe through sound or smell, so other Yeerks wouldn't go to Karen if Aftran already has dibs. Aftran could pretend to infest Karen though that part is trick as it really depends on how far in hosts are submerged and what the other Controllers on the pier can see.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
What I had imagined was an explosion blasted the cube into the wall. It would probably mean that the cube is a hard as a cannonball though.

I wonder if the Yeerks know what an Escafil device looks like and if they knew Elfangor would have one.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Homora Gaykemi posted:

note that nobody's being a smartass to Marco about how seagulls and chicken are different species so it wouldn't be cannibalism

I see this in so many things where people think feeding chicken to birds (and tuna to fish) is cannibalism.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Fuschia tude posted:

Nonzero chance they would have been subducted inside his skin and crushed when his skull inverts or whatever new body horror Applegate wants to write this month.

Get to personally witness what happens to parasites and other organisms living in the body when they morph.

Actually, I wonder if it's related to how they can morph with tight clothing.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Fuschia tude posted:

Huh. That tie moment was the only actual event I've remembered from this trilogy so far. Besides the ending, of course in the next book.

Same here except my memory is of the president walking around in shorts at night. I don't know how I can forget almost everything else except for a little detail like that.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Is it possible for a nothlit to regain morphing powers with the Escafil device? It would be a useful way to get rid of an identity, though permanently.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I guess what people say about 'war being profitable' isn't always true.

Also I wonder how close the Yeerk could be to creating their own bodies since they're already doing genetic engineering.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I wonder if the Chee ever take on roles that could alter the development of human society. Lourdes previous life is the highest profile one we've seen but her impact might have been limited to entertainment and pop culture. There's a chance that some Chee could have been leaders who led peoples through bad times or scientists who gave a bump to human technology. Then again, they might be happy just being janitors and such making sure things are going okay from behind the scenes. It's also possible that having a big influence on humanity could go against their pacifist programming, or they might have something like the prime directive in Star Trek.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Hooray, we're half way through the series (if you don't count the side books)!

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Maybe that Yeerk is being reverse-Yeerked. Now it's living like a controller trapped in the mind of a body piloted by another and only being able watch as Erek lives his life.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Since they've both been exiled to sea I wonder if Aftran ever came across David's haunting cries.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

freebooter posted:

Definitely. It goes to show that even the two of them who get along the least are still... not friends, but certainly family to each other, who 100% will always have each other's backs. I also really like how this echoes 15, where she's again the one who maybe saw his mum surviving and tells him about it. (I actually remembered this one ending with the two of them watching Xena... was that a different book?)

I definitely remember that being an ending to a Rachel book and I'm guessing it might be the sea star book. I didn't get to read any other books past Megamorphs 3 so I'm fairly confident it's that one. Oh wait, I did also read the sea civilization book.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Epicurius posted:

Nope, I make plenty of transcription errors, but this isn't it. It's an error by the writer/editor.

Also, sorry to do this, but the next two chapters are being delayed until tomorrow.

Shouldn't it be possible to thoughtspeak while morphed into a human? Though I guess it would be more natural to physical speak during a meeting.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
The threat of Queen Soco using the Sea Blade is something they should want to stop considering what they just learned in VISSER. If Yeerk technology and following that the Yeerk presence becomes public knowledge then Visser Three and his subordinates could justify an open war since it's something he really wants to do.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Don't think I like that last conversation. The kids have already come to learn that war is hell. Would they really want to instigate one? And especially against a race that appears to be doomed?

dungeon cousin fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 20, 2022

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
So what's the Animorphs holiday special gonna be like?

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I really can't imagine how they're gonna get out of this one. They're all incredibly injured and succumbing to heat exhaustion. Cassie is completely surrounded and likely has no opportunity to demorph. Feels like they might not even be able to run away since they're so close to the enemy base and are probably easy to keep up with.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Interesting that it's suicide mission. Leave absolutely no trace that the noble Andalites committed another genocide. 'Pretty fortunate that Earth is no longer a problem we would have to get to eventually. Guess the humans were due for a pretty nasty plague.'

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I love the caged hosts trying whatever they can to help the Animorphs. Of the top of my head the last time I can remember seeing momentarily free hosts to try fight back was in the first book with Tom.

dungeon cousin fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 18, 2022

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I guess the simple rule would be that the device activates when a being that can morph touches it.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Either that or Chapman is a really hairy guy.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Tree Bucket posted:

How far through the series are we? Not sure how much more trauma our heroes can endure without going quite insane.

Currently on the 48th of 64 books so roughly more than 3/4ths through the series.

I'd also like to mention that with so many battles our heroes have fought it should definitely be more than a year that they've been at this, and that's about the time span Elfangor gave for the Andalite forces to arrive. We did get that ragtag group of Andalites who came to Earth though they weren't gonna provide the kind of help the Animorphs were hoping for. These two things I feel have likely dealt a blow to the Animorphs' morale. They don't know if help will ever come but they have to keep fighting no matter what.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I kinda wonder who Visser One is if Marco is Visser Two. Could be Chapman or maybe Tom since Esplin as emperor. Also what's going on with Jake in this timeline? You would think he would be a high ranking officer like Marco and Ax but here he's working as a planetary engineer for the moon project, and he doesn't seem to have an especially prominent role.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I wonder how many injuries Marco is gonna rack up before he's allowed to morph again.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I wonder how long it's been since VISSER. That could also say something about what happened on the Anati homeworld.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
And what about Cassie's boomerang? It never came back!

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Good time to post fanart I. Not sure if it's been posted before but I don't want to check right now.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
drat, I feel bad for Nora. Not only is she enslaved but she believes her family is dead. She's in such a horrible place right now. Also it's not hard to imagine that this kind of situation has happened to other poor people. I got spoiled about stuff later in this book and man, I am gonna have some things to say.

dungeon cousin fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jul 9, 2022

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Throwing Nora under the bus like that is a very hosed up thing for Marco to do, but there's not much else he could have done in the state he's in. Marco has completed his number one goal in this war. Now he just wants to keep his family safe and happy which right now includes making his dad completely write off Nora. His dad can't still love Nora because then he's gonna want to do anything to save her and put himself in danger. They probably have the means to rescue her but it would interfere with Marco's desire to finally have his happy family back which is the state of mind he's in right now. Nora could live with them in the Hork-Bajir valley but it would contribute to the image of a whole, unbroken family Marco has been wanting. From an obtuse perspective you could say that Marco traded the free will of one mother for another.

I really feel bad for Nora even if everything turns out well in the end and the Yeerks being driven off Earth. She'll still think her family is dead unless the Animorphs become public knowledge. And if that does happen and Nora finds a way to contact Marco and his dad then she's gonna learn about Marco discarding her and learning about that kind of betrayal is really gonna gently caress her up.

I wonder what Jake has been dealing with throughout all this. He's probably been questioned a bit by Tom and depending on what the public was told about Marco's disappearance he probably had to put up an act of grieving for his friend.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Epicurius posted:

Sorry about no post tonight. A few days ago, I was diagnosed with viral pneumonia, and whatever the virus is, it's hitting me hard right now, so my plan is to drink water and go to bed.

No worries dude. You take all the rest you need. GWS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Come out of the woods as wolves, tigers, and bears. Surprise them as aliens at night. Even pretend the woods are haunted by blasting them with thoughtspeak. Really there are a lot of other options.