Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Fuschia tude posted:

It's pretty well established at this point that people don't really have recognizable thought-speech "voices", at least not like in speech, considering how often it gets passed off as half-heard speech or attributed to someone else. As far as they know, the only one on the planet who could thought-speak at them (and would help them fight the Andalite Bandits) is Visser Three, so it must have been him.

It told them who it was, though? Name, rank and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Morphing is great for saboteurs and assassins but not so much for open warfare I feel.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

A tiger could probably take a lion, but a grizzly definitely would, just too bad Rachel owns the copyrights. Does anyone have a hippo, or is that still up for grabs?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Terror Sweat posted:

Man I can't believe she was about to use the n-word

Was thinking this, lol. Wierd.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

It's fake lol he tried to murder human Rachel already

A lion can't commit murder actually :grin:

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Red tailed Hawks just tend to hang out in David's bedroom?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Seems like it's done for once David decided to become the cousin. His big advantage before was they didn't know where to find him, now they could just go get him.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

frankly speaking it would have been kinder to kill him

To themselves as well, probably.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

I dunno why, but as a kid I had a fan theory that surely one of them (Tobias?) would fly back to the island at some later point and finish him quickly. I guess I just hated the idea of him being stuck like that and it upset me.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Epicurius posted:

Aldrea came running, breathless. <Time to get out of here!> she cried. <We’ve accomplished what we wanted.>

I watched her as she realized what was happening to the Yeerk slugs. What my people were doing to them. Her face changed color. Her breathing stopped. She would not look at me.

“Yes, quite an accomplishment,” I said.

This, but unironically.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

quote:

Taxxons are cruel but not strong. Perhaps they would have been able to attack and kill disunited, essentially peaceful chimpanzees.

But what they faced were not chimpanzees. They faced chimpanzees animated by the will of their much more intelligent and much more violent cousins: Homo sapiens.

Tragic even, to impose such cruel human instincts on the gentle chimp, who'd never tear each others genitals off in a fight for territory and then eat the others young.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

e X posted:

Are they though, Marco?

Right?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

I'm pretty sure yeerks can communicate in the pool somehow. Messages are passed back and forth, and they have access to data terminals and research materials as per previous novels IIRC

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

*raises hand*

So why isn't any opportunistic Yeerk going "hey there's this human in the pool, ill grab this one"

Because hosts are a restricted privilige, and the punishment for disobeying orders is kanondra starvation?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I specifically mean with Cassie being in the pool right now, not when a head pops in.

Oh :doh:

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

e X posted:

Yeah, that comes up a couple of times, where somebody voluntary becomes a Nolith to escape the constrains of their body. But it's always non sapient morphs, which becomes a little weird when you consider that it is totally possible to combine the DNA of different creatures of the same species to create a new genetic being, like Ax did with his human morph. I.e. Aftran could have taken DNA from the Animorphs and lived out the remainder of her days as a human, which to me at least would have been preferable to becoming an animals.

Well yes, but you're a human. Whale in the ocean is a downgrade for you. (Yes. Yes it is. You don't get to post and you can't watch The Sopranos) but for a blind slug swimming in a pool it's a big step up.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

WrightOfWay posted:

Is Visser Three actually good at combat? He's certainly personally formidable but it seems like his only real military victory on screen in the series so far is defeating a vastly outnumbered Andalite Dome Ship at the beginning.

vastly outnumbering the enemy sounds like good strategy

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Watching the Simpsons lands a lot differently after the OJ trial than it did before, wow :yikes: BIG yikes!

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

OctaviusBeaver posted:

It felt preachy to me. Like the author wanted to teach us a lesson first and the story followed from that. I did like Mertil and the one who started with "G" though. Wish we saw more of them and got an ending other than "and they lived happily ever after".

kinda agree

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Not very voluntary compared to the first example we got a few books back, where the recruit was told explicitly what was going to happen beforehand. Tricking them into "Surrendering themselves to the sharing" might be a fun prank, but it doesn't seem that different from just grabbing them.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Epicurius posted:

I'm assuming the "Let us implant a parasite into your brain and turn you into a meat puppet" pitch was a harder sell than originally anticipated. But, especially looking at Chapman's numbers,. the type of person who honestly believes their life isn't important compared to the greater good and is willing to let themselves be chained to a chair and have their head dipped into a Yeerk pool probably is more likely to be ok with being infested than the general public.

It just seems like half-assing the concept, to the point where I probably wouldn't feel like bothering if I was in charge. Though if those statistics given were true, I guess it's more useful than not.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Do they really not kill him this time either? Surely he's paid for his crimes by now, give him a break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Capfalcon posted:

I'm going to also go with no. She's desperately grasping for a reason to say she's a good person, and she can just... not kill him. It's much easier to do nothing than force yourself to do something terrible.

ah, the poor rat, lol. it's like the inverse of that pratchet quote about how if someone has you at gunpoint you should hope they're evil enough to waste time gloating, because a good person will just kill you with no fanfare. whereas in this case "good" has twisted themselves into just doing insane cruelty every time