Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I like that they used up all the impressive morphs by the end of the series so when poo poo starts heating up towards the finale the covers are like duck, beaver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Oh man, I forgot there was a pool entrance in the school.

"One Happy Meal with extra happy!"

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Marco not wanting to get in the fight is one thing, but what kid wouldn't immediately try out morphing?

Wolf. Real help there, Cassie

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
It sucks they alternated between Tobias and Ax each cycle, thinking kids wanted to read about fellow kids

I always thought the hawk situation was partially a way to write a homeless kid without quite broaching that uncomfortable reality.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
"Absolute", no, and neither that use of "skanky"

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Cythereal posted:

I'd assume that this is also the obstacle to morphing into another human. It would probably be like deliberately inviting an extremely nasty form of disassocative identity disorder on yourself.
When Visser One first infests a human she's amazed to find that each brain hemisphere is a different personality communicating across a bundle of nerves no thicker than her own true body

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

nine-gear crow posted:

A legitimate human/Yeerk cooperative alliance would be honest to god terrifying because they’re functional the same thing in their ability to just rip through stuff like a buzz saw in terms of expansion and cooption.
This ties back into when Visser 1 crawls into a human brain and is shocked they have almost a bicameral mind. Every other species lives their lives with a single personality and will in their interior experience except humans and Yeerks.

Oh, and of course - the Isk and the Yoort, and The Ellimist's whole play to get the Yeerks to understand the value of cooperation by preserving them. I think the Yeerks could be satisfied running a ruthless galaxy-spanning merchant empire if they ever had reason to understand the concept. But they're a young race and when you compare everything the Isk homeworld implies, this whole region of space is kind of a backwater

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
It's also why trying to do Animorphs in live-action was and is doomed to failure. You need kid actors, dangerous animals, and convincing alien effects? It could really only be done in animation unless you get a blockbuster budget.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Epicurius posted:

So does Visser Three just micromanage everything? Like, does he feel the need to do that?
The poo poo he doesn't delegate in later books... the best part is he sometimes shows up in a limo to these clandestine operations in remote areas

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Hork Bajir have better vision than humans? I don't know that that tracks, though I guess the Arn could have juiced then any which way

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE posted:

I just finished book 8 and boy howdy I understand they're just kids and it's hard to murder someone face-to-face, but NOT killing the Andalite that is Visser Three's host body when he was lying there begging them for death is simultaneously the single most cruel and strategically terrible thing they've ever done
Spoilers allIt's definitely not a strategically sound call by what they know and why they do it, but Alloran ends up being an important piece in saving humanity once the Andalites turn out to be less than allies

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Tree Bucket posted:

Hang on, any ship that spends more than three days away from port can be guaranteed Yeerk-free, right?
Does that make the world's submariners and sardine fishermen the first line of defence against invasion from the stars?
Eventually they do get the Kandrona technology down to jacuzzi size

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

biracial bear for uncut posted:

ACAB, though. Also the books don't mention it much, but don't forget Cassie's background and that these books took place in the US.
That bit in Megamorphs where she gets called the N-Word and obliges the guy in becoming white was pretty great.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

quote:

<There are only three races left in all the known galaxy that still fight the Yeerks,> Ax said proudly. <And only the Andalites can stop them.>
Whoah, I forgot this quote. Wonder who that might have been penciled in in the notes by this point? I think the Leerans show up soon, and there's a couple ancilliary conflicts the Andalites are mentioned as involved with for flavor. Probably most races are just trying to run or are too far away to give a gently caress at this point

Avalerion posted:

You'd think the yeerks would want to get away from how shity their home world is instead of turning everything into it.
Resonates with the plotline in The Ellimist Chronicles where they won't give up the search for their impossibly precise home ecosystem and start their race's culture anew

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
"I was tired that day in class. And there was a female..."

Wait I guess those should be angle brackets

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

I think it's addressed in a later book that Tom actually joined the sharing (spoilers for what I'm pretty sure is book 6) to get closer to a girl he liked (who obviously ended up being a controller). An extremely teenager thing to do, honestly.
Wonder if that lines up to possibly be Taylor. I barely remember that one though

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
If a whale hits you hard enough do you impact the water behind you like it was a concrete wall similar to too high a fall?

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Kchama posted:

I mean I can see the reasoning why it's possible but also entirely useless outside this one single purpose of disguising as a non-specific person.
Sorry you don't want to spend a season roaming the jungle, taking all challengers and constructing The Ultimate Ape

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Somehow it took me a moment to parse it too, might just got munched in the formatting

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
How did Ax get the morphing power but never a single training morph, I forget. I know he was a stowaway but I thought he was finished with basic training (general later book spoilers)

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

disaster pastor posted:

Spoilers for basically the entire drat series: He all but explicitly says that he pulled things together just right to have Tobias, Marco, Ax and Cassie be on "the team." It's a neat way to give a canon explanation to the "everything happens to these kids in this town" conceit. So we get to wonder what pieces Crayak played in response: i.e., would Chapman have been a Controller even if the Animorphs weren't attending his school, or was that Crayak's manipulation?
Crayak's play you're forgetting because the climax was one of the most notoriously worst books, but it was Rachel (Jake being the lynchpin between those four, which is why he hyperfocused on loving with him specifically).

Also did the Cassie thing play into the timetravelling Wrong Hitler book at all? That felt really tacked on. Did it... ever play out anywhere else? The Sario Rips?

Daikloktos fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 13, 2020

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
[spoilers all] The other big cosmological entity is The Time Matrix. It's said to have been created by The Ellimist by the Andalites, but it doesn't get mentioned in The Ellimist Chronicles at all. The Skrit Na dug it up from under the Pyramids, which the Chee (also not mentioned) had a hand in building. And I don't discount the Na as mindless in their pursuits.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
The Chronicles are important prequel works with strong thematic and narrative ties to the series, while the Megamorphs books are more flashy headliner standalone stories.

[spoilers all] I agree that the mythology gets way too crowded as the series drags on, when as this brief reread shows you don't need more than a few fundamental elements to tell compelling stories, even under these constraints. The Helmacrons and Nartec were obviously gag stories, like the Andalite toilet in Area 51 book where Marco maintains his horse disguise by looking a Controller dead in the eye and making GBS threads wildly.

I really dug the Ellimist and Crayak stuff, but it probably wasn't necessary and certainly was not threaded in as effectively as might be hoped with the more central themes of the series. The Ellimist Chronicles really needed to be a thousand pages long and one of the first brickbuster kid books, for as much as you went in hoping would be addressed and doesn't remotely appear. I mean Brian Jacques was getting up there that same year, Taggerung could knock somebody out in hardback.

But no mention of The Time Matrix or The Pemalites. Nothing on the revelations of Megamorphs 4, or some deep example of his circuitous game. Did Crayak create the Yeerks? Did he create the Capasins that destroyed the Ketran homeworld? They do bear a resemblance to the Howlers. So much of it is told in summary form that desperately needed expanding upon, and by that point having grown up with the series I'd have been ready for a cosmic Silmarillion experience, but, alas.

Erek and the Chee were a way to give the Animorphs more agency to affect a more advanced conflict, and later books cast him almost in the role of their Q, or Inspector Gadget's boss, coming in to brief them on their next mission. But even this level of conflict wouldn't have been necessary. And again, it does rather dilute some of the most essential core themes to give them immortal robot dog allies

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

PetraCore posted:

You also get full access to the medical records of your victims, so you can see if, say, there's diabetes or a heart murmur or any number of annoying things (that maybe might become more of a problem if they're struggling for control), or if they're healthy, strong, and in a good position to advance your agenda.
Even scarier is they can pick out people with brain chemical imbalances who live on the fringes of society where a yeerk concievably just needs to squeeze into the right crevasses to make them healthy again. As the books have shown already Tobias is an example of how having a guy who doesn't need to maintain the cover of a normal life or to protect anyone allows for tactical and strategic opportunities in an insurgency. He also exemplifies how such people live strange lives down paths of questionable and self-destructive choices, and yet inhabiting and embodying those contexts give him a perspective vital to the group as a whole. Mundungus Fletcher is of course the mythopoeic example of these thematic elements in Harry Potter.

he latter is especially useful to the Yeerks given they probably have low faculties of inference and need to directly absorb more obscure or esoteric modes of thought [spoilers all] but we have to wait until this book to wrap up before we can seriously discuss the Yeerk experience

Daikloktos fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 16, 2020

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Avalerion posted:

Maybe being a high schooler is actually fun for the yeerk? In a way anything must be better than being a useless slug.
[spoilers all] In Animorphs you don't even need to be so much as a useless slug to immediately go native at your first exposure to any different culture

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

nine-gear crow posted:

Also Arnold Schwarzenegger is name dropped in one of the books coming up, and then two years after the series ended he ran for and became the governor of California.
Glad you spoiled that, I'm working my way through the Conan archives and I've been wondering how the recall ended up turning out

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
drat, this thread got to fanfic recommendations before I could establish why "Animorphs: The Reckoning is Harry Potter And The Methods Of Rationality done right" is not a ridiculous sentence to type. The pithy emblematic thing I'll say is that it casts the transhumanist hyper-rationalist optimizer that was the protagonist of that work in Visser 3, and the kids are written as thoughtful human beings struggling with their own limitations. This is a series where the themes and subjects "rational fiction" (as descends from HPMOR) wants to explore are actually congruent to the original canon and for vast stretches it feels more like just thoughtful fanfic than anything written to a literary movement and its philosophies.

You'll find virtually every aside we've explored in this thread fleshed out to fantastic depth - I imagine some of you have secretly read it, so please back me up

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Indeed, the disadvantage of fanfiction is authors of uneven skill only able to render part of what they're trying to achieve. The flaws you guys are picking out, legitimate ones, are probably especially due to the author coming from a more engineering background and only having written essays about Magic: The Gathering metastrategy before. Still, the flipside of fanfic is seeing these stories rearranged to bring different elements to the fore, even in structually flawed ways; I think it's worth it if you can put up with the writing style and literary aims. I mean this guy read the transhumanist rationality cult didactic Harry Potter fanfiction and felt inspired, don't let me oversell you on how little one can do to shade themselves away from that origin.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

on the other hand i noticed Sacred Host; i'm only about 7 chapters in but so far it seems to be a story about a young woman teaching yeerks about god. very very strange but also kinda cool.
That's the only other Animorphs fanfic I read, and I read it to laugh at the strange but ended up thinking it was cool, too. Wish Gnostic fanfiction had caught on as the movement of the day but, well... robot gods it is

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Yeah, as a teen I remember being VOCALLY repulsed by how gross it was that we had to SHOWER with other GUYS in gym class who wants to see that UGH will the trials of high school never end!

I was extremely closeted
Conversely I'm entirely straight and I've always thought dicks were kind of interesting, and surprising how different they could be

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Ytlaya posted:

I see that Rachel suffers from the same broken sales logic as my dad, where they seem to think that buying things on sale is the same as getting free money.
It is

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
These are surprisingly tightly crafted books. I honestly didn't think this was a series that quite needed a Let's Read versus a regular remembrance thread but gently caress was I wrong

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Epicurius posted:

I have to be honest with you all. This will become a recurring gag. You will get sick of it.
Payoff is excellent when he finally does drop it

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
There's a couple payoffs, here's the one I'm thinking of

31 - The Conspiracy posted:

We had to make him think he would be tortured. Moments earlier I would have killed him. Even now, I felt no pity for him. But that didn't change the fact that we were trying to terrify another living, sentient creature.

If you're the kind of person who gets off on that, you need help. I was asking a lot of Ax. Too much. But he was determined to play the role.

<If you want to live - and I need not remind you that is in my power to end your life right now -you will answer my questions,> Ax said with exaggerated Andalite arrogance. <What is the extent of the Yeerk penetration of Earth?>

Chapman shuddered but stayed silent.

<Do not defy me, Yeerk filth!> Ax roared. <Name all the Yeerks in positions of power!!>
No answer.

<I will keep you here, you know,> Ax said, changing tactics and using a silken, deadly thoughtspeak voice. <Kandrona starvation, Yeerk. It is a terrible way to die. How long since you visited the Yeerk pool? How many days, how many hours do you have before the terrible need begins to -

I’d seen and heard enough. I jerked my head toward the door. Rachel and Marco followed me. Marco demorphed as he went
Ax’s words had conjured up a dark, miserable picture in my mind. The death he had falsely promised Chapman was the one my brother Tom was going to suffer, because the Yeerk in his head would be cut off from Kandrona rays.

#31 - The Conspiracy posted:

I was tempted to continue holding Chapman and starve his Yeerk to death. Let the Yeerk Empire know that they were vulnerable, too. That we could be cruel enough to kill, when pushed far enough. The sick, dark anger inside of me wanted to. And had nearly tried, last night in rhino morph.

I landed in a tree near the window. Ax was still inside.

<Everything going okay, Ax?> I asked from outside the house.

<Yes, Prince Jake,> Ax replied. <I was careful to walk directly over the glass from the broken window, making it crunch very loudly. I believe this Controller will use the glass to sever his bonds once I have left.>

<Good,> I said.

<No, Prince Jake, nothing about this is good,> Ax snapped. <This is not behavior suitable to a warrior. I will not do this again.>

<Understood, Ax,> I said.

<The human daughter of this Controller has walked through the neighborhood crying for her father. I have heard her. As I have heard the terror of this Controller. I will gladly fight this Controller and even, in fair battle, kill him, but I am not a torturer.>

I’d never heard Ax this mad. Never even close.

<It’s my fault, Ax. My responsibility. You only did what I asked you to do, as your prince. This is on me.>

<No. My actions are my actions and are my responsibility.> he said, but his anger had softened a little. <I am sorry to have expressed anger.>

<Ax-man, you are entitled,> I said wearily.

He didn’t say anything for a while, and I sat, miserable and ashamed, in the tree.

<I must play out the charade,> Ax said wearily.

<Yeah.>

I sat there, fluffing my feathers against the morning chill, watching as the first early commuters headed for their cars, slung their briefcases and laptops in the backseat, and headed off for work.

Normal. A normal day in a normal American suburb.

Except that across the street a girl cried for a father she’d long ago lost without knowing it, and here, a creature part man and part Yeerk was threatened with painful death.

<Kandrona starvation, Yeerk. That is what awaits you. The slow weakening … the growing
madness … the terror as you begin to realize that nothing, nothing can save you. Is that what you want? Help me, Yeerk. Help me help you.> Ax could have used private thought-speak, thought-speak only Chapman would hear. But he wanted me to hear.

<Your last chance. I will leave you here, bound, helpless, the thirst and hunger of your human host body adding to your own desperate need.>

If Chapman answered I didn’t hear him. I guess he did answer, though, because Ax said, <Your choice, Yeerk.>

Moments later Ax was morphed to osprey and soaring away from the house. Chapman would escape. We had left the broken glass there deliberately. Chapman believed we
were all Andalites. He would think we were too unfamiliar with the human world to know that glass can cut.

#31 - The Conspiracy posted:

<And he will return to his people a hero,> Ax said. <This will become an oft-repeated and much celebrated chapter in Yeerk history. My name will become legend, synonymous with ineptitude. A brutal fool of an Andalite.>

<Ax, I wouldn’t have asked you to do it if it wasn’t so important.>

Ax looked at me, fierce hawk eyes glittering. <Important to you, Jake, or to the war effort?>

I didn’t answer him. I wanted to believe it was important to both, but my weary brain couldn’t even form the words to convince myself, much less him.

Ax flew back to his woods, muttering something about cleansing rituals.

I flew home and relieved Tobias.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Epicurius posted:

The Capture-Chapter 14

I will say that I hate that. Ever breath in liquid before? It's a terrible feeling.

Yet again, Visser Three's management style saves them.

More or less.

So how many of you saw that coming?
I missed Animorphs because I was way off beyond their reading level so it wasn't until they hit it big that I checked them out. I missed this one, Marco's earlier book, and a couple others; having the stuff introduced in these just show up casually in the middle books as I read out of order was a trip. That might actually be part of why I love this series because to me wild stuff would happen or get mentioned and everyone was rolling with it and I'd be like "hahah why not"

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Epicurius posted:

Sure, but then that raises more questions. If my happiness is dependent on making you suffer, am I justified in seeking happiness?
:capitalism:

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

SirSamVimes posted:

I like how this doesn't do the usual thing of people taking ages to realise that someone's been taken over to manufacture drama.
Oh it has such more interesting dramas to get to.

I guess a lot of kids media has to milk the surface of these kinds of situations because they won't, can't go as far.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Avalerion posted:

Also the thing about not being able to imitate someone perfectly is really only an issue when the other person knows about yeerks. Even if your friend or family member begins acting weirdly out of character you are not gonna think they've been body snatched unless you already know that's a thing.
There's out of character and then there's Ax-Jake

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Skypie posted:

I actually did not remember the yeerk showing Tom's memories. To me, that's equally horrifying - that this parasite can retain your memories and thoughts then play them back to a different host later. It can really just show you a string of broken people to break you
Yeah I remembered the entire rest of this book except that Yeerks retained memories.

It shows the potential for Yeerk symbiosis though, in teaching and therapy and...

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I bet it would be really fascinating to see the different ways different people absorb different concepts from the inside, on a neurological level, and how the framework of their perceptions colours the way the integrate they same information etc. But those aren't the kinds of interests you develop waiting in a mudhole for some thirsty monkeys to wander by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Also can Yeerks communicate in the pool