Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

OctaviusBeaver posted:

So this is really nitpicky but since we already discussed plot holes a little, I had never noticed this:

We learn later that morphing heals you so if Tobias got cut while morphing into a cat his finger cut should have healed when he transformed back. Which raises the question of why Elfangor didn't just morph something and run away and then be healed completely when he morphs back. I don't remember if the morph healing thing comes up in this book or if it's something she comes up with later.

Anyway I'm a big fan of these books, looking forward to this.

It is a little bit of a plot hole but I think that’s just because K. A. was still working out the rules of morphing in this book. It’s like when minor stuff changes from the pilot of a tv show.

Another example is Jake being able to thought-speak to Tobias our of morph, which as far as I know doesn’t happen again in this book or series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

She's never mentioned again, make up your own story

I say she got merced, her former Yeerk could tell exactly where she lives, her habits etc

I’ve read a fan-theory that the woman Cassie rescued is the same woman that Rachel later encounters in the first Megamorphs book who lives in the woods and is mentally ill and tries to kill Rachel while ranting about Yeerks.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

The Mighty Moltres posted:

For those who don't know or remember, each book had a page-flip animation in the bottom right corner, of the narrator morphing.
Here they are for the first nine books:
https://myanimorphscollection.tumblr.com/post/125760729808/animorphs-flipbook-gifs-for-the-morphs-on-the
NOTE: Minor spoiler in the middle of the bottom row.

It was always fun to flip through the book when you first got it to watch the morph happen but after that these always vaguely annoyed me as a kid because they show a smooth transitional morph and that is not accurate to the books at all.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
When the kids were feeding fish to the dolphins...could they have acquired the fish’s DNA? I read these as a kid and I can’t remember if they ever absorb DNA from a dead animal. Does the animal have to be alive to acquire it? I don’t think it’s ever addressed.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
I only watched a couple of the tv show episodes because I realized it was hot garbage but one thing I thought was cool is that Shawn Ashmore, who played Jake, has an actual identical twin brother irl so when they did this book on the show they had the twins act as Jake and Ax-in-Jake-morph rather than using camera trickery.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
I thought it was strange at first that Ax would be so surprised by the alarm bell going off at school. I assumed there would be alarms of all sort on an Andalite Dome ship. But I re-read the prologue and at no point - not through coming out of Z-space, or ambushed by Yeerks, being attacked or detaching the Dome - does it ever mention alarms going off, just shouted orders and thought-speech announcements.
We know Andalites have ears but I never thought about how a telepathic species would relate to various sounds. Pretty cool detail, which I think was mostly for comic relief.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

quote:

We’d called a meeting, and now everyone except Ax was in Cassie’s barn.

Cassie’s barn is actually the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center. It’s a sort of hospital for messed-up wild animals. Cassie’s parents are both veterinarians.

Has anyone else noticed this editing error? In every book we get an introduction to Cassie’s barn but sometimes it’s called the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center (Book3, MM, and here in Book 10) and sometimes it called the Wildlife Rehabilitation Clinic (books 1,2,4,5,6,7 and 9, I couldn’t find it mentioned by Ax in book 8 though).

Glad you’re feeling better Epicurius, it’s good having this thread moving again! I loved this series as a kid and still have my original full set of books. It’s fun revisiting them!

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Terror Sweat posted:

Okay, so their mass goes to z-space when they morph, but where does their mass come from when they turn into a big animal

Negative Z-space?

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
Two things that struck me in this chapter:

1) Aren’t they be in their morphing outfits? I was weirded out by the mental image of Jake walking through the Amazon rainforest barefoot in bike shorts and a tight t-shirt but the narrative just glossed over it. If I were him I would have morphed tiger as soon as I realized I was in a jungle.

2) why did Cassie tear her shirt to make a bandage for a cut on her hand? She could have just quickly morphed anything and demorphed to heal herself. And she should know this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
I feel bad for Tobias in the new timeline. He discovered the crashed bug fighter, did the recon, got the whole team together....just for Jake to say, “nah let’s not”.