Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

She was amazing in Room, the kid in that movie was even better but she did a great job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Zedd posted:

She was amazing in Room, the kid in that movie was even better but she did a great job.

:aaaaa: holy moly I didn't even know who she was when I watched that. Defs an amazing performance!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Watching the season six paintball episode, which is halfway good, and it's fascinating how bad the writing is for Britta. They dump on her so hard, I thought maybe it was leading to Britta showing off her established paintball prowess. But, no, the joke is that she sucks. The end.

This episode would have been a lot better if they just fully committed to the bit.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Troy : "You used that bench to upset the balance. By the vapors of Magmarath, we will restore it."
Britta: "You have gods?"

That was such a funny delivery.

Also, what was the episode where Troy says he likes butt stuff?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

John F Bennett posted:

Also, what was the episode where Troy says he likes butt stuff?

1x04, and again in 1x15.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apparently Chang works for the military in Atlanta now

https://twitter.com/foxwoundband/status/1266613385862447104?s=21

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Holy poo poo

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Contemporary American Poultry is top notch television. Brilliant writing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

1x04, and again in 1x15.

Abed-as-Troy also says it in the Dreamatorium episode in S3, which given Abed's character probably means Troy admitted it to him.

I'm binging the show as my escape from COVID and racism and just hit season 4. The Halloween one was actually pretty decent, but I think a good symbol of the difference from the earlier seasons is in the costume choices The show had a running bit with Shirley's costumes always being vague but her refusing to explain, and Annie's being sexy but in a plausibly deniable way... and then in this one Shirley is Princess Leia and Annie is Samara. I'm not saying the show objectifying Alison Brie was necessarily a good thing, but the idea to break a bit just to make things, I dunno, more recognisable to the Big Bang Theory watchers in the audience seems like pretty telling.

Oh, and Britta asking Troy to show her Inspector Spacetime is a 'oh for god's sake, does the show even have a script supervisor' moment: BRITTA IS THE ONE WHO INTRODUCED THEM TO THE SHOW.

Although, the premiere had what might've been the best solution to the Chevy problem. Seriously, Fred Willard as Pierce would've been great and I think he had the kind of energy they wanted Pierce to have anyway, that kind of toothless assholery where forgiving him is easy because he's basically powerless.

EDIT: Oh, and the second best Chang moment after the Chow Yun-Fat entrance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHHs8TW0AB0

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 11, 2020

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Fred Willard as Pierce would have owned, hard, but would have been very different. He didn't have the authentic malice that Chevy did. Mind you, that would probably have been better.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, and Britta asking Troy to show her Inspector Spacetime is a 'oh for god's sake, does the show even have a script supervisor' moment: BRITTA IS THE ONE WHO INTRODUCED THEM TO THE SHOW.

It's on-brand for Britta though to research a substitute for Cougarton Abbey suitable for Abed's whimsy without actually ever having watched it herself.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT

:aaa:

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

This is a boiling hot take that I'm willing to sign up for.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

If you guys need more Britta in your life, go and watch the Netflix series Love! I've been binging it after binging Community and I think it's really good.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

John F Bennett posted:

If you guys need more Britta in your life, go and watch the Netflix series Love! I've been binging it after binging Community and I think it's really good.

I didn't realise I did until now. Cheers!

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

mcbexx posted:

It's on-brand for Britta though to research a substitute for Cougarton Abbey suitable for Abed's whimsy without actually ever having watched it herself.

I mean I can imagine if she just googled "shows with the most episodes still running" she'd get Inspector Spacetime. I find it interesting Abed never really talks about Star Trek outside of the fact that the Dreamatorium is a holodeck and she mentions Spock. Might be a copyright thing. I don't think he'd be a trekkie though.

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
Nothing's gonna change my world
So I learned to binge Parks and Recreation BEFORE Community, and not after. P&R seems like candy corn in comparison.

I prefer to think Britta was secretly a Minerva fan all along. And she did end up being Space Elder Britta. (If anyone wants to bag on the fourth season by pointing out that the Minerva thing didn't pay off in the episode or in the future, well, I must reluctantly agree.)

I also prefer to think that Hickey was actually Mike Ehrmantraut after he survived Walter White and was given a new identity by Robert Forster. That said - man, the episode where he handcuffs Abed was super-uncomfortable for me. I guess that was by design, since the show had made several mentions about Abed being restrained unwillingly throughout his life, but I think it really hurt the Hickey character.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I think the writers forgot that what Hickey's doing there is literally illegal in most jurisdictions.

On a different note, it's very strange that it took 4 years for them to work out that Chang works best in the position he started in: an incompetent teacher that tries to throw his weight around ineffectually.

Everybody!

#THERE'S A BRAND NEW DANCE BASED ON AN OLD PHRASE#

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
Nothing's gonna change my world
"Wait, didn't you try to kill us?"

"Did I?"

I agree, I much preferred Chang as an antagonist to Study Group rather than a supplicant.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Chang is great in smaller doses. Although I did enjoy the ridiculousness of the warlord plot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jai Guru Dave posted:

"Wait, didn't you try to kill us?"

"Did I?"

I agree, I much preferred Chang as an antagonist to Study Group rather than a supplicant.

Less an antagonist exactly, but the warlord thing actually gave him power which defeats the whole 'goof who thinks he's a big man' thing, and having him be 'too weird' for the group to take in in S2 made him cartoonish because the study group are already pretty out there. (honestly, his best use in S2 is probably the Mean Girls ep, or maybe the one where Duncan gets a restraining order on him, where he's pathetic, but in a way that makes sense for Greendale day-to-day)

I half suspect the warlord bit was a backup plan because they couldn't get John Goodman as often as they wanted.

Hell, a big chunk of the problems in S4 (though far from all of them) have the whiff of them holding stuff back as if they were hoping to get a back 9 order and then panicking when they realised they were really only doing 13 eps. Troy and Britta barely being a factor feels like them putting off having stories of them as a couple because 'we can do it later in the year' and then oops, too late, gotta do the break up (which could've been saved for S5, honestly, as the lava episode is almost more a Britta ep than Troy/Abed), the Changnesia thing just sputters out with Dean Spreck not actually doing ANYthing, the Dean being Jeff's neighbour is used for precisely one joke...

Although nothing is as blatant a sign of the problems than literally having a character yell "hey we made paintball cool again!", which I'm baffled made it through table reads, rewrites, shooting and the edit. Like... it's literally admitting the thing you're doing is lame as gently caress, which is clearly not the goal given how much you're spending on CG effects.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i like the scene where jeff has to keep confiscating saws from chang

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Now that we've had... three months to ruminate on Community, I've been thinking about other shows for the future of this thread, and yeah, we're probably just going to do Person of Interest next.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arist posted:

and yeah, we're probably just going to do Person of Interest next.

I suspect it's not going to hold up, but sure, let's do iiiiiit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kinda crazy to watch the most recent season of Westworld and realize that Nolan did the same thing better already in a network show like Person of Interest.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Kinda crazy to watch the most recent season of Westworld and realize that Nolan did the same thing better already in a network show like Person of Interest.

I think Nolan's work is stronger when he has to work from a more rigid structure and that Person of Interest is the proof of it!

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

No michael emerson in westworld either

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MechaSeinfeld posted:

No michael emerson Fusco in westworld either

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Y'all should do Dark, since the final season comes out in a week.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I started watching the first season of that, was really getting into it, then they spent an episode in the past which was interesting, only to then just go straight back to the present and for whatever reason the whiplash drained my interest in continuing. I should start it up again, I keep hearing how good it was, but man it felt like the story was going one way only to screech to a halt and jump back in the other other direction.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 20, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh, believe me, it spends a lot of time going in that original direction.

Dark owns

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I just did a rewatch and I still had to mumble to myself to keep track of all the people and relationships. poo poo is DENSE.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Netflix and Hulu will delete the episode 'Advanced Dungeons and Dragons' because of blackface (Ken Jeong's dark elf) so go watch it asap if it's not too late. A very good episode.

Edit: too late

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/community-why-netflix-just-pulled-the-advanced-dungeons-and-dragons-episode.html/

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I just saw that episode last weekend, and when the blackface scene appeared I figured it would be on the chopping block eventually!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What's funny is that while it's not blackface on its own technically, the drow are problematic enough on their own it's still fine enough to get rid of it.

I still laugh when Pierce complains they invited Al Jolson but not him.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 27, 2020

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica
Man, that sucks, that's one of the best episodes of the show and it doesn't even include blackface. What a bunch of scared idiots.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

The show also acknowledges it by having Shirley say : "So, we're just gonna ignore that hate crime, huh?", followed by the Al Jolson comment by Pierce.

Which were both pretty funny lines too.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

it is literally blackface in that his face was painted black, and also figuratively meant to invoke blackface based on the jokes that follow. "It wasn't even blackface" is a dumb thing to say.

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica
Black people weren't being mimicked in a dehumanizing way, ironically or unironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Saucy_Rodent posted:

Black people weren't being mimicked in a dehumanizing way, ironically or unironically.

The literal black characters on the show thought they were?