Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We're watching Season 1 of Person of Interest next month:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3930391

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Saucy_Rodent posted:

Black people weren't being mimicked in a dehumanizing way, ironically or unironically.

ah yes, that's why the joke was that the black people were being too sensitive

wait

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
First they came from the drow but I did not speak because I didn't take the drow language skill

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica
It's not an argument I want to make further because most of the people who agree with me are probably garbage racists.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Saucy_Rodent posted:

It's not an argument I want to make further because most of the people who agree with me are probably garbage racists.

does that not make you want to reanalyze your argument a little bit

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I hadn't seen the show before I started watching it on Netflix a short while ago. I just finished season 4. Here are some random thoughts I had (using spoiler tags in case anyone is in a similar situation to me):

- Whoever said that the show was a "slow burn" is right on the money. I quite liked the early season 1 episodes because it showed how well they captured the setting (I went to a community college here in the UK and there are quite a few similarities) but taking the first three seasons all together makes me appreciate them more.

- I was obsessed with trying to turn my problems in high school into self-aware sitcom jokes, so I feel close... sometimes too close, to Abed.

- I wasn't really all that fond of season 3's dictator Chang storyline as I felt it was too out-there even by the standards of this show. I agree with the person who said that Chang's first season characterisation was the best use of Jeong and the character itself.

- Season 4 is a weird one. I knew about the stuff with Harmon, and while I thought that the majority of the season was worse than what had come before, it was really just kind of average rather than being outright bad. Then the last cluster of episodes came and made the rest of the season look worse in retrospect. The Freaky Friday, origin stories and puppet episodes were not good (I liked how they got the Avenue Q design of the puppets down pat, and the cast did a good job as voice actors, but that was it), but the season finale was probably the worst episode I've seen so far. The "alternate timelines" gimmick was good at first, but they just leaned way too much into it. They evidently didn't know what to do with Troy and Britta as a couple, or how to effectively use Pierce/Chase, and the "Changnesia" storyline is frankly baffling; I was not at all surprised when it had zero payoff and they just kind of shrugged it off at the start of season 5. Cornwallis seems like a wasted character, he's really nothing more than another "rear end in a top hat teacher", which Chang had already done better in the very first season... it's a shame because I really like Malcolm McDowell.

- I love the Dean and I think Jim Rash does a great job, but his increasingly creepy behaviour towards Jeff up to this point is, er.... well, more weird than funny imo.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHwOrNYlDtQ

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I actually think the Freaky Friday episode of S4 is one of the better outings that year, because it's actually invested in the Britta/Troy relationship in a way that feels true to Troy and Abed, plus I find the B story with the Dean pretending to be Jeff to the point that Annie is confused and turned on every time they interact is really really funny (and shows off Rash's skill for mimicry)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that’s one of the good ones. Also the Halloween one and Herstory of Dance. Honestly the puppet one and the finale are the only real tragedies.

e: and Inspector Spacetime convention. god season 4 really did Annie dirty

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hahahaha are the Russo brothers parodying their own work with that Dean elevator scene or had they left the show by that point?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That episode was directed by Rob Schrab but knowing the Russos' history on the show there's no way it wasn't meant as a loving reference to them specifically.

The last episode either Russo worked on was Advanced Advanced Dungeons & Dragons from Season 5, which Joe directed.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

What's movie is the Starburns in a parking garage original version?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

regulargonzalez posted:

What's movie is the Starburns in a parking garage original version?

Highlander

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Only Simpsons and Community could work for videos like these.

edit: And I don't think they touch the Law and Order or Fincher episodes at all in this video?

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 31, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Those are much more style parodies. Like the L&O episode is spectacularly dead on in nailing how the mothership was shot and structured, but it wasn't like parodying any specific episode or shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

John F Bennett posted:

Netflix and Hulu will delete the episode 'Advanced Dungeons and Dragons' because of blackface (Ken Jeong's dark elf) so go watch it asap if it's not too late. A very good episode.

Edit: too late

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/community-why-netflix-just-pulled-the-advanced-dungeons-and-dragons-episode.html/

Too bad. That's a top five episode, imo.