Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/joelmchale/status/1259221012584919040

Donald looks like he's almost about to cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
The moment Donald Glover realizes they're all in a group text without him is amazing.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
It is a cave.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kind of ironic that just after mentioning how season 2 had an episode with a ton of standard sitcom tropes straight out of Carsey-Werner production, Malcolm-Jamal Warner shows up as a new semi-regular member of the supporting cast.

I did feel it was pushing a little too hard into sitcom tropes though until the study group mixer ends with Jeff begging Rich to help him be a better person... so he can exploit that for his own personal gain :allears:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

Kind of ironic that just after mentioning how season 2 had an episode with a ton of standard sitcom tropes straight out of Carsey-Werner production, Malcolm-Jamal Warner shows up as a new semi-regular member of the supporting cast.

Even with everything, I still smiled at 'Nice sweater.' 'Thanks, got it from my dad.'

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Here I was thinking that Season 4, while Not Good, was better than I remembered, until I got to Intro to Felt Surrogacy.

Man.

It just sucks. The premise means nothing. The puppets are just there. They add nothing but do save on the budget, I guess. Why is the Dean in a Pinocchio costume?

Shirley's story is insane. Leaving your child overnight in a supermarket is insane. That's not okay! Hey, wait, and they never even come back to Greendale berry guy. They all just take berries given to them by a stranger and sing about freedom. That theme isn't even set up beforehand.

And Jeff's secret is super hosed up. For a season that took a lot of big swings about his dad, man they just kind of tossed this one out. It genuinely makes me sad.

Annie's confession about rubbing Cornwallis' feet is maybe the single weirdest mischaracterization in the series. It's awful. I'm baffled this was what they went with. Why would the Dean even be okay with this?

It's so bad it makes the rest of the season worse.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Even with everything, I still smiled at 'Nice sweater.' 'Thanks, got it from my dad.'

Yeah, it's rough being reminded about that piece of poo poo but goddamn I loved that show as a kid :smith:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The puppet episode really is such a huge piece of garbage lmao

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
That one and the one where Troy gets Abed to break up with Britta for him just feel like they're trying too hard (also the season finale.) Season 4's really not that bad, but watching it feels awkward because you can tell they REALLY wanted Community fans to like it.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Britta did get flanderized a lot but goddamn Season 3 Britta gave us what is one of the most Karen lines of all time

"I can excuse racism, but I draw the line at animal cruelty"

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Cerepol posted:

Britta did get flanderized a lot but goddamn Season 3 Britta gave us what is one of the most Karen lines of all time

"I can excuse racism, but I draw the line at animal cruelty"

"You can excuse racism?!"

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I started rewatching some of Community recently after not watching any in the last 10 years. I think I started watching it when it was on the air during the first few episodes, following the TV IV thread, and being a big fan right up until season 3 wrapped and Harmon got fired.

I never watched the fourth season or beyond, partially because of bitterness about Harmon being ejected (and whoops in retrospect I really can't blame them). I'm planning on watching through the whole series now with the benefit of 10 years of distance from the emotions mixed in with the show at the time.

I've mostly been watching through season 1, jumping through some season 2 episodes, and the odd season 3 here and there to jog my memory. Seeing each episode again is such a strange feeling, almost dreamlike. I haven't seen these episodes in 10 years but I remember every beat (did I watch them over and over again at the time?), everything seems so familiar even if I didn't actively remember it.

The quality has not diminished. The episodes are plotted wonderfully, jokes are coming at a frenzy, and there's a lot of lines that I can't help but laugh at. It is a truly wonderful show that shows a deep understanding of sitcoms. Wielding that knowledge to craft narratives and tropes you've seen in sitcoms countless times before, but bringing a new edge by having internal elements of the show commenting on them from within, from the standpoint of the audience watching the scene but also the creator(s) (and writers) working through why they had to make those choices and what they were doing.

Rewatching the show also reminded me of the joys of watching shows as they air, seeing the characters and plotlines get fleshed out over time, knowing that the cast and crew were all figuring it out as the show was being made. All the little decisions and realizations that started clicking in to place as the first season developed and having no idea what could happen next (which would be in another week, at best).

I haven't really watched much ongoing TV in a long long time. The two most recent shows that I can think of watching each week were The Orville, which I had alright fun with, and Star Trek: Picard, which I did not. I've missed that ecstacy (and agony) of following a show from the beginning, watching bit by bit each week, seeing it blossom, and not knowing where it's going or what could happen next. Community especially captured that with tuning in each week, being amazed at the next big creative leap they took, the abysmal ratings, and always waiting for the pin to drop and the show being cancelled.

The one other weird last thing is that I kinda forgot Donald Glover was in this show. The Donald Glover you see out in the world now is this big music star and TV auteur in his own right, he feels like such a powerful force in his own right that he's eclipsed the show. It wasn't until I started rewatching the show that I really put the two together. If you had asked me "was Donald Glover in Community?" I wouldn't hesitate to say yes he was, but I don't think I had looked at current day Atlanta and Grammy winning Donald Glover and thought of him as Troy Barnes, the dumb football player doing the biblioteca rap and improv'ing a batman tag on Community a decade ago. He has developed in to such a creative star, and seeing him again in Community really solidifies that, he has such a powerful comedic presence in the show, in every scene he's in.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 13, 2020

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
Watched seasons 1-3 back in the day then stopped like the rest of y'all. Recently finished the full 1-6 rewatch, and now going in for a good ol' 1-3 again to get the bad taste of the back half out of my mouth. I'm not gonna say it was as zombiefied as zombie Simpsons, but it certainly lost a spark that it never got back.

"Football, Feminism, and You" is really where the show starts clicking on all levels: snappy and original wordplay, character relationships settling into their stride (the Dean only starts paying attention to Jeff during this one!!), meta jokes and moments where the subversion of sitcommy expectations is the joke. That's the reason I really loved Community. The episode before with the "pompous vortex of overlapping fangs" was getting there, but FFU just locked it in. :hellyeah:

Favorite remembered moments: All of Modern Warfare, especially "Feng xiao xi / Yi shui han..." - The melancholy/conflicted mood during Mixology Certification; I've haven't seen many other media that replicates that feeling of disappointed expectations of adulthood. - When Pierce falls off the yacht during "sailing class" and they have to abandon him in the sea. - I saw My Dinner with André between Community's original run and now, so I can finally appreciate the Cougartown monologue

Favorite forgotten moment: "Chang eats the sun and drinks the skies, and they both go with him when he dies..."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Got to Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, I had completely forgotten about the Abed/Annie sex scene :xd:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've been watching some of Joel and Ken's podcast and it always stands out to me how respectful they are of Chevy when they talk about him. And I can see it. There aren't many people who you can point at something and say 'do physical comedy with it.'

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Okay, so apparently Jim Rash will be in the table read video, but he won't be playing Walton Goggins' role...

because motherfucking Pedro Pascal is doing it instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpRKN3psdX4

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love Walton Goggins but goddamn is that a great replacement.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

This a song for Pierce, cause him so old
His body made of wrinkles and folds
Stupid and ugly, he smell like a fart
Then poo-poo in his pants and poo-poo in my heart

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Cannot wait for the table read today. I was a fan of the show when it came out and watched it every year at least, except the last 2 years due to my entire belongings in a storage unit.

I always indentify with the wrong people in shows, in this case Britta.
I'm the worst

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

finished season 5, it was nice that they got a lot closer to the original feel of the show after how off season 4 was, and the actors were clearly enjoying it a lot more, but idk the creative juices just didn't seem to be flowing entirely. lots of good scenes that just don't know how to end. for example: the "bear down for midterms" scene. I thought it was a funny phrase from Chang, but it didn't really go anywhere. Well, I guess they tried to have a punchline with Neil revealing the bear mauling, but it felt tacked on. in the first 3 seasons i think scenes were able to sustain their momentum a lot better.

i liked the first epsiode of season 6, but i really didn't like the entire britta half of the second episode. Disappointing that they would be so harsh to her character after season 5 seemed to really correct that. at least nobody's mentioned annie's boobs yet this season

e: the dean in virtual reality was pretty funny though

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character
I just found out that Yahoo still has the season 6 episodes with Dan Harmon's commentary up. Just gotta search Communitary with the episode title or number.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/video/communitary-community-episode-1-ladders-154501237.html

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

finished season 5, it was nice that they got a lot closer to the original feel of the show after how off season 4 was, and the actors were clearly enjoying it a lot more, but idk the creative juices just didn't seem to be flowing entirely. lots of good scenes that just don't know how to end. for example: the "bear down for midterms" scene. I thought it was a funny phrase from Chang, but it didn't really go anywhere. Well, I guess they tried to have a punchline with Neil revealing the bear mauling, but it felt tacked on. in the first 3 seasons i think scenes were able to sustain their momentum a lot better.

I'm sorry, but everything from the music starting to Hickey installing the bulletin board to Chang's "It's not made up!" dance to Garrett's (not Neal) "IT'S A BEEAAR DAAANCE" is straight up one of my favorite television sequences ever. The way it just pauses on him for a second before cutting to black slays me.

That and the PayDay Rap justify season 5 alone.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The best thing about season 5 is how much Duncan there is. He's great in the butt crack bandit episode.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

The puppet episode really is such a huge piece of garbage lmao

It sucks so much man. an absolute skip every time. should probably never be viewed.

I really like season 6. Paget Brewster is fantastic, and so is Keith David. For being new additions and only having like 12 episodes by the time it gets to the wedding episode they really do seem like natural study group members. I dont hate the RV episode either.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
he should keep on wearin’

keep on wearin’ his

pah-ah-aaaaaaaaaaaants

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica

MokBa posted:

I'm sorry, but everything from the music starting to Hickey installing the bulletin board to Chang's "It's not made up!" dance to Garrett's (not Neal) "IT'S A BEEAAR DAAANCE" is straight up one of my favorite television sequences ever. The way it just pauses on him for a second before cutting to black slays me.

That and the PayDay Rap justify season 5 alone.

The obviously made up rap dance that the crowd immediately gets into is a classic Harmon joke that works all three times he’s done it

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

he should keep on wearin’

keep on wearin’ his

pah-ah-aaaaaaaaaaaants

I used to read av club when it was airing and I remember disagreeing so hard with what they wrote about the end tag during the credits of that episode. just an outrageously funny and meta way to end it.

“now there’s a man who knows how to marry his cousin” is also just a fantastic payoff

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I used to read av club when it was airing and I remember disagreeing so hard with what they wrote about the end tag during the credits of that episode. just an outrageously funny and meta way to end it.

“now there’s a man who knows how to marry his cousin” is also just a fantastic payoff

I loving loved the tag of that episode, yeah

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Why does everyone hate the puppet episode? The singing? The complete departure of reality?
Why is there less hate for the claymation episode?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Like people already said it was an episode that just had the characters admit to things that didn't make sense and iffy execution. The idea of a singing puppet episode is fine, but the difference between good gimmick episodes and bad ones is maintaining good characterization.

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica
Right, the problem with Season 4 was the constant SEE WE’RE STILL WACKY OL COMMUNITY, IN FACT WE’RE EVEN WACKIER NOW SEE WE HAVE A FUCKIN PUPPET EPISODE NOTHING’S CHANGED! WE SAW VANDERWERFF WRITE A REVIEW ABOUT HOW THIS SHOW IS ABOUT CHOOSING YOUR FAMILY SO WE HAD JEFF MAKE A SPEECH WHERE HE SAYS THAT EXPLICITLY SEE SAME OLD SHOW!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The Puppet episode is one of the better s4 episodes, which means it's worse than all the other seasons. I thought the worst one was either when Jeff meets his father or the origins/prequel episode. The origins/prequel episode really screws up some of the characters with bad retcons.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yeah for real, the Shirley plot of that episode is real dumb.

e:. Specifically the comic book episode, where her plotline is that she leaves her anniversary dinner with her husband to go to the mall and pick up her kids who are being harassed by Abed, which causes Andrea to cheat on Shirley. WHY WOULDN'T ANDREA COME PICK UP HIS OWN KIDS WHO ARE BEING HARASSED?

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 17, 2020

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I don't want to dog pile on S4, but come on, the finale's definitely the worst episode. Dimension warping paintball guns? Are you kidding me? And half the poo poo in that episode didn't make any sense for Jeff to be imagining. I'm not saying an episode like that never would have happened with Harmon because they did bring back Dungeons and Dragons after this, and it wasn't as good the second time, but this was just embarrassing on top of not being funny.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Randallteal posted:

I don't want to dog pile on S4, but come on, the finale's definitely the worst episode. Dimension warping paintball guns? Are you kidding me? And half the poo poo in that episode didn't make any sense for Jeff to be imagining. I'm not saying an episode like that never would have happened with Harmon because they did bring back Dungeons and Dragons after this, and it wasn't as good the second time, but this was just embarrassing on top of not being funny.

I wish they had just kept Evil Abed as Abed's dark side, encouraging his anti-social tendencies. The episode where he shows up in the Dreamatorium was chilling. Unfortunately, that whole storyline took a cartoonish turn way too soon.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I'm watching Community for the first time, and I just finished season 4, and... honestly, I didn't see much of a difference in quality between that season and the previous seasons. Sure, there were some parts that felt pretty cartoonish, but I feel like the show was already trending in that direction well before season 4.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

DaveWoo posted:

So I'm watching Community for the first time, and I just finished season 4, and... honestly, I didn't see much of a difference in quality between that season and the previous seasons. Sure, there were some parts that felt pretty cartoonish, but I feel like the show was already trending in that direction well before season 4.

The bigger issue is many of the ideas from season 4 are retreads from past seasons. They take good ideas that were fine in moderation and run them into the ground. Biggest being the Inspector Spacetime convention.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Also watching for the first time, just started season 3, and my biggest problem is Pierce. I loathe him, and his constantly getting second chances with the group is becoming absolutely unbearable

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
One of the reasons I like season 1 so much is it's the most balanced season for Britta and Pierce. In the future Britta is at least fun goofy, but they shred Pierce's nice moments away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Also watching for the first time, just started season 3, and my biggest problem is Pierce. I loathe him, and his constantly getting second chances with the group is becoming absolutely unbearable

Pierce sucks. Constantly excusing his lovely behavior enables him. He seems uninterested in growth. They give him a couple dozen chances and he never gets better.