Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

1x04, and again in 1x15.

Abed-as-Troy also says it in the Dreamatorium episode in S3, which given Abed's character probably means Troy admitted it to him.

I'm binging the show as my escape from COVID and racism and just hit season 4. The Halloween one was actually pretty decent, but I think a good symbol of the difference from the earlier seasons is in the costume choices The show had a running bit with Shirley's costumes always being vague but her refusing to explain, and Annie's being sexy but in a plausibly deniable way... and then in this one Shirley is Princess Leia and Annie is Samara. I'm not saying the show objectifying Alison Brie was necessarily a good thing, but the idea to break a bit just to make things, I dunno, more recognisable to the Big Bang Theory watchers in the audience seems like pretty telling.

Oh, and Britta asking Troy to show her Inspector Spacetime is a 'oh for god's sake, does the show even have a script supervisor' moment: BRITTA IS THE ONE WHO INTRODUCED THEM TO THE SHOW.

Although, the premiere had what might've been the best solution to the Chevy problem. Seriously, Fred Willard as Pierce would've been great and I think he had the kind of energy they wanted Pierce to have anyway, that kind of toothless assholery where forgiving him is easy because he's basically powerless.

EDIT: Oh, and the second best Chang moment after the Chow Yun-Fat entrance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHHs8TW0AB0

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I think the writers forgot that what Hickey's doing there is literally illegal in most jurisdictions.

On a different note, it's very strange that it took 4 years for them to work out that Chang works best in the position he started in: an incompetent teacher that tries to throw his weight around ineffectually.

Everybody!

#THERE'S A BRAND NEW DANCE BASED ON AN OLD PHRASE#

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jai Guru Dave posted:

"Wait, didn't you try to kill us?"

"Did I?"

I agree, I much preferred Chang as an antagonist to Study Group rather than a supplicant.

Less an antagonist exactly, but the warlord thing actually gave him power which defeats the whole 'goof who thinks he's a big man' thing, and having him be 'too weird' for the group to take in in S2 made him cartoonish because the study group are already pretty out there. (honestly, his best use in S2 is probably the Mean Girls ep, or maybe the one where Duncan gets a restraining order on him, where he's pathetic, but in a way that makes sense for Greendale day-to-day)

I half suspect the warlord bit was a backup plan because they couldn't get John Goodman as often as they wanted.

Hell, a big chunk of the problems in S4 (though far from all of them) have the whiff of them holding stuff back as if they were hoping to get a back 9 order and then panicking when they realised they were really only doing 13 eps. Troy and Britta barely being a factor feels like them putting off having stories of them as a couple because 'we can do it later in the year' and then oops, too late, gotta do the break up (which could've been saved for S5, honestly, as the lava episode is almost more a Britta ep than Troy/Abed), the Changnesia thing just sputters out with Dean Spreck not actually doing ANYthing, the Dean being Jeff's neighbour is used for precisely one joke...

Although nothing is as blatant a sign of the problems than literally having a character yell "hey we made paintball cool again!", which I'm baffled made it through table reads, rewrites, shooting and the edit. Like... it's literally admitting the thing you're doing is lame as gently caress, which is clearly not the goal given how much you're spending on CG effects.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I actually think the Freaky Friday episode of S4 is one of the better outings that year, because it's actually invested in the Britta/Troy relationship in a way that feels true to Troy and Abed, plus I find the B story with the Dean pretending to be Jeff to the point that Annie is confused and turned on every time they interact is really really funny (and shows off Rash's skill for mimicry)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Those are much more style parodies. Like the L&O episode is spectacularly dead on in nailing how the mothership was shot and structured, but it wasn't like parodying any specific episode or shot.