Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Last year I put together a group rewatch thread for Hannibal Season 1. It went pretty well, but unfortunately logistical issues with the transition between shows meant it didn't continue, by which I mean I hosed it up. We're going to try it again now in this time of social distancing, but this time we're reducing the complexity of the transition. Hopefully.

First off, we're not doing the weekly episodes thing, it was annoying to deal with. Watch at your own pace, please, it'll make figuring out when we should move forward to another show much easier for me to figure out. These are old shows, so you probably don't need to spoil anything, but if you feel people deserve to see something cold, use your own discretion. Also, you can still suggest shows for this, but we're not going to do multiple seasons of the same show back-to-back, it got kinda complicated to deal with. I'm not sure yet if there'll be voting either, but overwhelming consensus on a show we should watch will be taken into consideration. My initial ideas for shows we should watch next are very digestible and bingeable because we're all quarantined right now, stuff like procedurals and light comedies. Hannibal was great, but I don't think it's the right tone for right now. The five shows I picked out for next time are:

Better Off Ted
Elementary
Person of Interest
Arrested Development
Limitless

All of these are currently available on Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime in the US, and if you don't live there, I'm sure you can figure out a way to watch them.

All this is subject to change based on feedback, but I just want to try this again because I really like the idea.

Anyway, Community! I thought it'd be fun to revisit Season 1, a more innocent time in all our lives, because holy poo poo is it nothing like the later seasons. I don't even mean that to disparage those seasons, I love me some Season 3 and Season 6. But there's no denying Community jumped the shark directly into its own rear end in a top hat at some point in Season 3 (or even Season 2 by some accounts). Community Season 1 is much more of a standard network sitcom, while simultaneously being streets ahead of pretty much everything else that it could feasibly call a peer (This was 2009. Paul Schneider was still in Parks and Rec's cast). Community could have easily been great just by continuing to be the kind of show it was in Season 1, and while I'm personally glad it made the change, part of me has to wonder what Season 6 of this show would have looked like.

25 episodes in this season, but due to... circumstances I'm going to say we probably won't need that much time to watch them. Let's say, Saturday, April 4th is the deadline to watch them all? I hope this goes better than last time!

Past Shows:

Hannibal Season 1

Arist fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Episode 1, "Pilot"

Pilots are always tricky. Not every show can spring fully-formed from the aether like The Good Place (though that one was ordered straight to series and didn't have a pilot, but I digress). In that regard, it's interesting to see which elements in Community's pilot pay off and which don't. The Dean and Duncan are both in this episode, though Duncan seems to have his role cut down to recurring from presumably a regular, probably because he didn't want to leave The Daily Show. There's a few meta-sitcom elements like the "cosmic mentor" joke as well, which while not my favorite is fascinating to me. On the other hand, no Chang, though the pilot is so dense it's kind of impossible to notice his absence (I wondered why they were having a Spanish test less than a week into the semester, but that's a very Chang move). There's clear attempts to pair Pierce and Troy as a comedic duo that they seem to realize is doomed even by the next episode, as the famous biblioteca rap between Troy and Abed is that episode's tag. In fact, Troy and Abed don't interact very much at all in this pilot, which is still kind of shocking.

As for the characters, the pilot is really economical, introducing everyone before the halfway mark even if most of them in a batch. Britta is useful in this episode as a plot generator, but not much as a character in and of herself, which is going to be a recurring theme through most of these episodes until at least "The Science of Illusion." Gillian Jacobs is a brilliant performer and I can't wait for her to get to cut loose. Donald Glover is getting A+ material and selling it perfectly even before they figure Troy out at all with the keg flip line. Abed feels more like a stereotype here, but later seasons basically turn him into a space alien so it's hard for me to judge. Pierce has a bizarre moment early on where he somehow fails to make a hotdog. I assume they decided or were told they needed to have Chevy Chase doing some funny physical comedy thing but it's completely unrelated to everything else and doesn't really fit in, just making me think they already didn't know how to use him. Annie and Shirley feel probably the most shafted by the script here, but Alison Brie and Yvette Nicole Brown are brilliant and they'll more than prove themselves even if they eventually can't figure out how to use Shirley either. And Jeff as the viewpoint character through this is trying to ride a fine line where he's not too much of a dick but also enough of one to be funny. They don't always succeed, but to be fair, he's really funny. Joel McHale sells the poo poo out of Jeff immediately. There's a joke in the first act where Jeff bluffs Britta on his Spanish knowledge, and while the subtitles that pop up are a bit incongruous (as well as extremely 2009), the way they reveal character by all being phrases he's picked up interacting with service workers is fan-loving-tastic. What a douche.

And above all else, it's just really, really loving funny. Here's the part where I just list quotes I loved: "2002 was a simpler time" (surprisingly dark, honestly), "What's your deal and is God dead?", "I'm gonna go to the bathroom and bring my jacket, wallet, and keys with me, in case there's a fire.", "'What are you doing?' 'I'm certified.'", etc. Pretty sure I knew I loved this show at the immediate instant Jeff murders Steve the pencil. But even as solid as the writing is, this show would never have gotten anywhere without its legendary cast. Every single one of them rules. I love it. I love them all, even Chevy kind of. This is a very, very good pilot, but as an episode of Community, there's lots of room to grow. And that's exciting.

(Also it's weird looking back at the Ben Affleck shade considering now he's better known as a triple threat instead of that dude what was in Daredevil).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm on the Halloween episode, number 7, now, and it's amazing how every single end-of-episode tag, out of the six that have occurred so far, were Troy and Abed scenes. They just knew immediately how strong that pairing was, huh?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

this song's for pierce, cause him so old
his body made of wrinkles and folds
stupid and ugly, he smell like a fart,
poopoo in his pants and poopoo in my heart

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's a complete boxed set?????

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh, the deadline passed, oops. Pretend I extended it to the 18th, I've been busy

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The version on streaming services is the original broadcast version, not the DVD.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

christ, go away

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Physical Education is probably the single best episode of Community to show someone who's never seen it before.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What a coincidence, I just so happened to rewatch that one (and Remedial Chaos Theory) last night.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

So, despite what I said about not doing consecutive seasons, I'm thinking about lifting that guideline because we're already talking so much about future episodes and we have a good semi-conversation going. Any objections?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Okay, let's make this official: starting today, six episodes a week for four weeks. So:

Community Season 2

4/19-4/25: 201-206
4/26-5/2: 207-212
5/3-5/9: 213-218
5/10-5/16: 218-224

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Community's not really a plot-focused show, it's fine.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

6 is so much better than 5, you guys are crazy

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's perfect for a table read because it's a great episode without Chevy that's confined entirely to one location excepting the tag and consists almost entirely of dialogue with very little action, and only has two non-regular characters with speaking roles.

The real problem is that I don't believe Jim Rash is in that episode at all, which sucks.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Okay, so apparently Jim Rash will be in the table read video, but he won't be playing Walton Goggins' role...

because motherfucking Pedro Pascal is doing it instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpRKN3psdX4

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I used to read av club when it was airing and I remember disagreeing so hard with what they wrote about the end tag during the credits of that episode. just an outrageously funny and meta way to end it.

“now there’s a man who knows how to marry his cousin” is also just a fantastic payoff

I loving loved the tag of that episode, yeah

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lmao pedro is loving breaking down trying to get through the sperm deliveries

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Now that we've had... three months to ruminate on Community, I've been thinking about other shows for the future of this thread, and yeah, we're probably just going to do Person of Interest next.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MechaSeinfeld posted:

No michael emerson Fusco in westworld either

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We're watching Season 1 of Person of Interest next month:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3930391

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That episode was directed by Rob Schrab but knowing the Russos' history on the show there's no way it wasn't meant as a loving reference to them specifically.

The last episode either Russo worked on was Advanced Advanced Dungeons & Dragons from Season 5, which Joe directed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

regulargonzalez posted:

What's movie is the Starburns in a parking garage original version?

Highlander