Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Community poking fun at the Dead Poets Society was my first clue this show was going to be something special. I enjoyed the pilot and all, but the line "Why are you dressed like an 80's rapist?" killed me. Also, "I will have... a BIRTHDAY CAKE!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jason Sextro posted:

Just a general remark: I forgot just how much Dan Harmon (I think?) hated Glee.

"What ARE regionals!?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zedd posted:

Since this show came to Netflix I have been rewatching it, I saw the original run as it aired back in the day.
I enjoyed S6 even with all the vague Yahoo streaming being weird/causing issues, but man that is a good season on rewatch; they went out on a pretty high note. Frankie is an amazing addition to the cast.

There was an interesting video I watched the other day on Community vs. Arrested Development and how they both kind of flubbed coming back from cancellation, even if Community is generally regarded as higher in quality.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Those seem like an odd comparison since Community never spent a significant amount of time canceled.

Feel free to watch it yourself. Although I did phrase it wrong as it's more about how not to revive a show.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

loving hell, I'd completely forgotten about Joshua the magical trampoline guardian being a Nazi. :xd:

"It's gonna be a maze!"

That slays me every time. "Some people are just natural jumpers."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

e: i think i like season 3 just a little bit more than season 2. i think season 3 gets a little kookier than it needed to at times, but overall season 2 suffers a little bit from the shirley baby plot being boring. both insanely good seasons of tv, though

It really does feel like they didn't know what to do with Shirley sometimes when Yvette Brown was clearly game for anything.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Important double post:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1258514710174945280

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I personally just finished the flashback episode to stuff we mostly never saw and ends with Annie's Boobs slapping Chang on the head as 'Gravity' plays.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/joelmchale/status/1259221012584919040

Donald looks like he's almost about to cry.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

Kind of ironic that just after mentioning how season 2 had an episode with a ton of standard sitcom tropes straight out of Carsey-Werner production, Malcolm-Jamal Warner shows up as a new semi-regular member of the supporting cast.

Even with everything, I still smiled at 'Nice sweater.' 'Thanks, got it from my dad.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've been watching some of Joel and Ken's podcast and it always stands out to me how respectful they are of Chevy when they talk about him. And I can see it. There aren't many people who you can point at something and say 'do physical comedy with it.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

princess_peach posted:

Jim Rash is the best. I haven't seen him in anything it seems lately.

He's been working on a movie and popping up in various places, like playing the Riddler in the Harley Quinn TV show.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/darkestimeline/status/1262520241311145991

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

The campus really changed in recent years. That central green is pretty much the same, but they added a stadium/track, an updated chem lab, student services center and I think they renovated the gym. But yeah, they really nailed the eclectic assemblage of people that converge there.

I can just hear the Dean saying, "Just like a REAL college, am I right?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dan Harmon is very much an 80's kid. They dropped a few Transformers jokes in the early seasons I recall.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"I dressed up like a crazy pharaoh for you, man!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's a joke in the earlier seasons where the comment is made that if you slow down footage of two people interacting and play shmaltzy music over it, it looks like they have romantic tension using Jeff/Annie and then Pierce/Abed. It feels like the writers did that with Troy/Britta but felt like it was real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What's funny is that while it's not blackface on its own technically, the drow are problematic enough on their own it's still fine enough to get rid of it.

I still laugh when Pierce complains they invited Al Jolson but not him.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 27, 2020