Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Really enjoying this thread and the discussion, I just have two little nitpicks from the tv discussion:

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Kenzo is a spy for Errinwright

Kenzo is a corporate spy for a company in competition with Tycho, and it's Avasarala that turns him to spying on James Holden for the UNN.

the Anubis was headed from Eros to Phoebe Station when something went wrong

The Anubis has been to Phoebe and is on its way to Eros, if it hadn't been to Phoebe the "something" couldn't have gone wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Khizan posted:

Miller's spent almost his entire life on Ceres where there's large amounts of rock to protect people from radiation hazards. It's one of the safest places in the Belt. Holden, on the other hand, spent the last several years in a rickety space truck while occasionally going EVA to check on distress signals and such. I'm not at all surprised that space trucker Holden is more familiar with radiation hazards than Miller, who seems to be the belter equivalent of a 'city slicker'.

Agree with this too, Miller even calls himself a "city belter" in a conversation with Diogo. Miller leaving his "cushy" little station for the first time in his life leads to a number of fish-out-of-water moments...

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005

I know I missed Head Julie when I first watched the TV series, but seeing the novel again it makes it pretty clear why she was cut. She just doesn't really add anything to the story or Miller's character, and she doesn't really seem to represent anything textually.

Rather than truly cut her though, I thought they did a very wise thing by having Head Julie be a confessional story Miller tells to Naomi, fully self aware it's his cracked mind hallucinating. What she says to him in this hallucination is very interesting to me too, but I don't want to steal your thunder on that one so I'll wait for you to cover it.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005

I'm racking my brain to try and recall that scene and don't appear to be able to. If you want to leap into it, go ahead!

In "Safe" S02E01, just after miller squares up with Amos, he and Naomi have a conversation in his berth. It starts of with her trying to explain Amos to him but quickly veers to Julie and Millers connection to her.

He recounts how jaded he was: "Holden was shocked by Eros I was shocked it hadn't happened a long time ago."

But Julie (or his impression of her) had gotten to him so completely: "I wake up some nights and I see her standing right there. Now I know it's bullshit but, [sigh] she's right there. She takes my hand, she tells me, 'you belong with me'."

Spoiled what she actually says to him, because once you cover off the tv series part of this there's some tv-only shenanigans about the connection between Julie and Miller that can be explored in a bit more detail.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
There's some more protomolecule fuckery going on too that further underscores both 1) the connection between Miller and Julie and 2) how humans re-purpose the protomolecule as much as it re-purposes humans. In "Critical Mass" (S01E09), a head-Miller appears to Julie at the moment of her death, holding her beads and juggling a low-g tweetie bird (can be seen here - I could only find to show in one of those embarrassing tribute music videos).

To me it kind of casts a bit of a new light on Miller's hallucinations in the tv adaptation vs. the book portrayal, giving a hint that they may not be pure manifestations of mental illness, but the protomolecule itself (which breaks all the rules) reaching out across time itself to touch the minds of these characters. Why it does this is also an interesting speculation: is it merely a side effect (like how the Eros "music" is the echoes of minds consumed) or is it a subtle hand guiding two characters ensuring their fated meeting takes place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005

More stuff. The greenhouse domes depend on orbital mirrors to capture enough sunlight to grow the food. Not exactly a nitpick, and this may be due to my lack of knowledge when it comes to farming, but couldn't you grow plants under artificial light? Given this is a society with Epstein drives and stuff, I feel like that would be a better solution than big mirrors.

You dream up humanity's biggest mirror in order to smash the poo poo out of it and I thank them for it. :dance: I don't think it needs another reason.