Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I probably don't have to tell you there's a pandemic going on right now. As a consequence, a ton of people are (voluntarily) working from home.
I am one of them.

At first I was optimistic about it. After all, I have spent hours sitting at my desk at work, thinking about how much I'd rather be home. I'd read countless posts about how much rear end working from home kicks.
But now that I actually have to work from home, it sucks. I don't have a cosy ergonomic office chair at home. I'm just sitting at my stupid table, on a stupid chair.
Same thing goes for monitors. At work I have a handy dual monitor setup, here I'm staring at my tiny laptop screen all day.
Hell, I even miss walking around sipping coffee and annoying my dumb-rear end colleagues.

But the worst part is, my home doesn't feel like a home anymore. It's like work has infected that once peaceful place. It feels tainted now.
Like when your CEO would decide to sleep in your bed or brush his teeth with your toothbrush. Ugh. Just get out of here, gross bastard!

How do you feel about working at home goons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
All that AND you have to spend time with your girlfriend and kids...

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
Did it for 3.5 years, by that last year I was begging to be fired it drives you nuts after awhile if you are just hammering away at spreadsheets and emails.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Why didn't you take your monitors/PC from work back home with you? It's not like this is going to just be a two or three day WfH trial program.

Although if you don't have a car or enough deskspace at home, I get it.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it actually owns op. gas and ban for good measure

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I've been working from home for ages. It's great. Perhaps you're doing it wrong?

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009
Work from home is lame. There's more distractions if you don't have your own office and even then it's not ideal. People call more useless video meetings because the higher ups feel less in control. Slack gets overrun with spam and becomes a nuisance. And working problems out in person, 1 on 1 is often very effective.
If you can wfh effectively then cool for you, but I don't feel very productive or comfortable doing it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Salem Saberhagen posted:

Work ... is lame

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Roumba posted:

Why didn't you take your monitors/PC from work back home with you? It's not like this is going to just be a two or three day WfH trial program.

Although if you don't have a car or enough deskspace at home, I get it.

I got sick last thursday. I'm fine now, but I stayed at home and over the weekend they decided that everybody should work from home. So I didn't get the chance to take stuff home.
But even then, it's not like I have an empty office room around or something like that.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

wtf lol working from home fuckin' rules OP

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Entering hour 3 with tech support to get my remote key working. Still beats going in.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
home - can smoke weed, pet my rabbit

work - no weed, no rabbit

easy call op try enjoying life more

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

The Walrus posted:

Yes, agreed. But it would be nicer if you could do those things, without work.

Basically:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
ya tbh I haven't done poo poo in the last couple days tomorrow I'm actually gonna do some real work so that might change my opinion a bit.

my least favourite part of the day is the commute tho so still winning there.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

pram posted:

it actually owns op. gas and ban for good measure

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I've considered working from home as an option but my three year old would keep me from getting anything done.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

My boss scheduled a 9am videocall on Teams every day this week. Possibly to make sure I'm wearing clothes.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
The key to working from home is not actually working! This is why you're having such a hard time OP. Yesterday I smoked a blunt while watching Kelly and Ryan and by the metrics I was still one of the most productive people in the office.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I work like 2 hours max per day WFH. Aside from monitoring emails.

Nobody chasing up, no need to fake or slowroll busywork. Does feel pretty aimless if you do it for long enough though.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I think most of you are missing the point.

Being at home owns.

Working from home, not so much.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
being at work and working at work both suck though

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

shut up blegum posted:

Hell, I even miss walking around sipping coffee and annoying my dumb-rear end colleagues.

You are one of the reasons I enjoy working from home, sorry to sound like a douche

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Ah yes being able to lean back in my chair and let rip a really nasty fart whenever I feel like it sure does suck OP.

Make sure you drive around for 45 minutes twice a day to simulate that commute you miss so dearly.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I feel greasier after spending a day working at home than working in an office. But I think that might just be a me problem.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I need to get a nice office chair for my home office since i'll be working here for the next few weeks

At work they buy everyone an aeron and it owns. the several years old generic office chair I got for 50 quid at Argos is not cutting it

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

shut up blegum posted:

I probably don't have to tell you there's a pandemic going on right now. As a consequence, a ton of people are (voluntarily) working from home.
I am one of them.

At first I was optimistic about it. After all, I have spent hours sitting at my desk at work, thinking about how much I'd rather be home. I'd read countless posts about how much rear end working from home kicks.
But now that I actually have to work from home, it sucks. I don't have a cosy ergonomic office chair at home. I'm just sitting at my stupid table, on a stupid chair.
Same thing goes for monitors. At work I have a handy dual monitor setup, here I'm staring at my tiny laptop screen all day.

But the worst part is, my home doesn't feel like a home anymore. It's like work has infected that once peaceful place. It feels tainted now.
Like when your CEO would decide to sleep in your bed or brush his teeth with your toothbrush. Ugh. Just get out of here, gross bastard!

How do you feel about working at home goons?

I've been doing it for 13 years so uh, pretty alright I guess?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

The Walrus posted:

does the rabbit get high off your weed smoke

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
*holding a blunt like a carrot, blowing out a cloud of marijuana smoke* Ehhh... when you think about it... what really is up, doc?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Me hiding in the bathroom for 20 minutes so I can scroll through Facebook: "sure glad I'm not WFH with all those distractions"

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hammerite posted:

does the rabbit get high off your weed smoke

I vape but no way. poor little girl. she basically acts like shes stoned 247 anyway though.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I agree OP, working from home ruins home.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Realize that you've removed your commute, you can enjoy an actual lunch break at home, and you no longer need to wear pants.

If you get really good at working from home you'll learn how to get all of your work done and still enjoy loving around on the internet, jerking off, or watching TV all day. It rules.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I have to be available from 9-11am and 1-2pm for emails from students. All of my lessons for today released at 9am and at 9:03am I got a message from an 8th grader that a YouTube link to a Sketchup tutorial won't open on her chromebook. Same link we've used for 2-3 years, the toggle in YouTube shows its approved for everyone in our domain, but now that I can't check it out or send her to IT, it doesn't work. It always works...until our very first E-learning day.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

the virgin "boohoo i have to work at home away from the plague beasts" vs the chad "i am stuck in this interminable healthcare hellscape that is my job, i fear nothing anymore, existence is pain"

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

You are one of the reasons I enjoy working from home, sorry to sound like a douche

I'd talk about beers with you

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I'm in college for mechanical engineering and we just switched to doing the rest of the term from home, I'm pretty stressed about it. Normally I'd be pretty happy about the arrangement but I was feeling burned out before all this and now I have to attend "class" from home where all my distractions are, also I'm a single father of 2 and all childcare is shut down lmao

:sigh:

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
WFH would be cool if all the extroverts would just admit that talking sucks as a method of communication and giving status updates via text is a million times better. Instead they go insane and start requiring everyone to dial into every 5 minute chat because “it’s good to talk”

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

leaving the office is one of the best parts of the day, when I work from home the workday ends and I'm still in the same place. My lizard brain is like "why not leave? no happy feeling"

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I actually get quite a bit more done from home because I don't have people popping into my office every two seconds. Now they have to use the proper channels :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
If you don’t have the proper setup it sucks, but over the years I slowly accrued extra monitors, proper desk and chair etc. Pretty much just as productive as at the office except my co-workers are lazy as hell