Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
It’s hard to stay home every day. We have to be logged into teams at all times so they can see who is actually at their desk. Also just frustrating not having enough work to do to stay busy. I only needed to be in the office from 9-4, but working from home I have to be online from 8-5 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

There are things you can do to make it a lot more pleasant, OP. The person who suggested you emulate your commute makes a good joke and a good point: I'm serious, try walking around the block before and after work. Setting up psychological boundaries, even token ones, is the way to keep WFH from trashing your whole life.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Icept posted:

All that AND you have to spend time with your girlfriend and kids...

lol yeah...

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
so you work from home, OP?

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.
On one hand, working from home is awesome because I’m saving lots of money on gas and I can roll out of bed at 7:30 instead of 6am. On the other hand, my daughter keeps bugging me to play with her and help her with stuff, and I have to concentrate on what I’m doing.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

remigious posted:

It’s hard to stay home every day. We have to be logged into teams at all times so they can see who is actually at their desk.

lol @ control freak companies who don't trust their employees to do work and have to have constant reassurance that their people aren't jerking off or w/e

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

I'm gonna go grab my office chair this afteroon. The one I jerk off in isn't comfortable enough for a whole day.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Most important wfh question: does anyone have a good way to fake a permanently active/available status in Outlook and Jabber?

I know there are mouse wiggler programs, but I'd rather let the monitor go idle if that's a possibility

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
But I'm a male erotic dancer. Working from home just wont pay the bills.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Oscar Wild posted:

But I'm a male erotic dancer. Working from home just wont pay the bills.

find a rich man and work from his home.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Anne Whateley posted:

Most important wfh question: does anyone have a good way to fake a permanently active/available status in Outlook and Jabber?

I know there are mouse wiggler programs, but I'd rather let the monitor go idle if that's a possibility

desktop or laptop monitor? If desktop, turn it off, if laptop, turn the brightness all the way off.

xdirtypinkox
Aug 12, 2004

And it gets easier as I pass the Edward Scissorhands village where privileged white kids date rape girls and taunt me in their SUV's.
I work from home everyday in my industry you kind of have to (I'm unemployed.)

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

Keyboard macros are how I cheat at Celtix, if that helps. I have collected many "productivity medals" from leaving the machine typing "gently caress you, spy" and then an RNG staggers thirteen delete strokes in a naturalistic fashion, over and over for hours. Probably only works if your job is just typing all day though, sorry.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Yeah, sounds like OP doesn't hate working from home - he hates working from a place with a garbage workstation setup. I totally get that.

I cobbled together a workstation for home and have slowly been upgrading it over the years. For a time, it was actually superior to my setup at work.

I figure as far as personal and work life bleeding into each other, I already have that a lot so this new reality isn't really any different for me. I am pretty good at mentally compartmentalizing stuff too, so when I lock my work computer for the evening, I'm really not distracted by the thought that I need to check it again. (Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.)

Someday, I'd like to upgrade to a true work-from-home office, but that'll require moving first I think.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I like everyone working from home cause now it only takes me like 30 minutes to get to my office and there is always a ton of parking

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

remigious posted:

It’s hard to stay home every day. We have to be logged into teams at all times so they can see who is actually at their desk. Also just frustrating not having enough work to do to stay busy. I only needed to be in the office from 9-4, but working from home I have to be online from 8-5 :(

Real great company dynamic there, doesn't have enough work to give to people, but is also paranoid that people will just sit there at a computer for 9 hours doing nothing when given the option.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I thought I was going to enjoy working from home, but yesterday my boss said we need to start keeping a daily log of what we are doing. We had an earthquake this morning so I’ve just been fretting. to be fair I wouldn’t be working hard anyways.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

WFH would be cool if all the extroverts would just admit that talking sucks as a method of communication and giving status updates via text is a million times better. Instead they go insane and start requiring everyone to dial into every 5 minute chat because “it’s good to talk”

the absolute bane of my working life. my job has improved so much since i climbed high enough on the totem pole to tell most people who want me to get on voice chat for trifling poo poo "no, we're going to talk about this over slack using words and there will be a written record"

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Oh boo hoo I get to stay home instead of taking public transit into the plague zone 6 days a week

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Colonel Cancer posted:

Oh boo hoo I get to stay home instead of taking public transit into the plague zone 6 days a week

Plague zone is my home and also he worst Sonic area.

teraman
Dec 11, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

Make a custom status also named Available and use that instead of the default.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
The main thing I gather from all the replies itt is that you all like working from home because it makes it super easy to skip work . Thus, proving my initial statement, working from home sucks.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
My dick, balls and prostate are screaming for help. I can't do this much longer. I think there was blood today

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Icochet posted:

My dick, balls and prostate are screaming for help. I can't do this much longer. I think there was blood today

No pain no gain Icochet! America is counting on you!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Icochet posted:

Maybe only tug it 7 times a day?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Maybe only tug it 7 times a day?

How?? Workday is EIGHT HOURS

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

pram posted:

it actually owns op. gas and ban for good measure

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
You can get used/refurbed Aeron chairs on ebay.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

How am I supposed to jerk off with my wife here all day?

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

shut up blegum posted:

The main thing I gather from all the replies itt is that you all like working from home because it makes it super easy to skip work . Thus, proving my initial statement, working from home sucks.

Yeah, but in the corona thread, goons are citing studies that working from home increases productivity 1437%.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

central dogma posted:

Yeah, but in the corona thread, goons are citing studies that working from home increases productivity 1437%.

I think you mean 42,069%.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

make a trade bro

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I've been working from home for years and it owns.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Sex Skeleton posted:

I think you mean 42,069%.

Nice!

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

remigious posted:

What is this poo poo. Your management structure seriously feels the need to waste energy on making sure you're at your desk?

The only two worthwhile metrics for someone's effecacy in office work is
1. Is their poo poo done on time
2. Are they available when you need to ask them something
1 doesn't require any sort of fixed schedule and 2 can be done over chat/IM/slack 90% of the time. Hell I answer questions all the time via the slack app while out running errands. This "butts in seats" ethic is outdated as poo poo and pisses me off.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

FogHelmut posted:

https://twitter.com/JanetSKWatson/status/1239686913411481603?s=19

Fuckin hate it when the wife puts me on blast.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

sudonim posted:

What is this poo poo. Your management structure seriously feels the need to waste energy on making sure you're at your desk?

The only two worthwhile metrics for someone's effecacy in office work is
1. Is their poo poo done on time
2. Are they available when you need to ask them something
1 doesn't require any sort of fixed schedule and 2 can be done over chat/IM/slack 90% of the time. Hell I answer questions all the time via the slack app while out running errands. This "butts in seats" ethic is outdated as poo poo and pisses me off.

Yeah. And I just learned that many of my coworkers just have skype on their phone so they are “available” when they are out and about. A nice idea, but I’d rather not integrate my personal phone in any way with work. Besides this always online business, I actually like my job quite a bit and I’m still grateful that I escaped retail hell.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I would way rather sit at a desk for 8 hours than have anyone from work ever contact me on off hours.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Icochet posted:

Nice. Self lubricating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

remigious posted:

Yeah. And I just learned that many of my coworkers just have skype on their phone so they are “available” when they are out and about. A nice idea, but I’d rather not integrate my personal phone in any way with work. Besides this always online business, I actually like my job quite a bit and I’m still grateful that I escaped retail hell.

Pretty irresponsible of them to be out and about when there’s a pandemic going on.