Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Batterypowered7 posted:

It was good enough for the Gameboy and the SNES!

And a fair few DOS programs and games. Probably bits and pieces of later software, too; C compilers used to be worse at optimisation and projects used to be smaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Plinkey posted:

Honestly python is the second worst way to learn to program behind Javascript

Pick it up after you can think in something strongly typed.

lol

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I enrolled in computer college due to the pandemic and have been learning C#, JS/Web design, SQL, and Linux

So far C# and SQL have been my favorites. Things are generally sensible and consistent. The biggest struggle is figuring out the correct syntax sometimes.

Javascript on the other hand sucks and I hate it. Debugging is much more difficult and it often feels like I'm dealing with a Frankenstein slapped together language like English

BonerKid
Jan 3, 2002

Chill

Away all Goats posted:

So far C# and SQL have been my favorites. Things are generally sensible and consistent. The biggest struggle is figuring out the correct syntax sometimes.

If you like C# and SQL you should check out LINQ and Entity Framework, they really simplify databases to the point where you barely need to write any actual SQL queries.

Away all Goats posted:

Javascript on the other hand sucks and I hate it. Debugging is much more difficult and it often feels like I'm dealing with a Frankenstein slapped together language like English

Plain JS sucks and I don't like working with it but TypeScript makes it much more approachable and closer to C#. It doesn't help as much with debugging but at least it prevents you from making a bunch of stupid errors that JS would happily let you make until runtime, like passing an array instead of a number or whatever dumb poo poo it doesn't care about.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Away all Goats posted:

This just means you're ready to join us as old men shaking our fists at the youth and their weird culture - skipping directly past the optimistic youth phase. Just wait until we tell you about the state of the frameworks and build tools. (Typescript does look kind of neat, though.)

If you like C# , you may also be reasonably comfortable with Java. It's slightly clunkier, but compared to most other languages they're practically siblings.

BonerKid
Jan 3, 2002

Chill

Computer viking posted:

If you like C# , you may also be reasonably comfortable with Java. It's slightly clunkier, but compared to most other languages they're practically siblings.

I had multiple semesters of Java in college and my main complaint about Java was that all the free IDEs I tried really sucked. Netbeans was slow as hell and the primary purpose of Eclipse was to constantly crash. Nowadays there are more options though, and Visual Studio Code probably supports Java better than any of the programs I used.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

BonerKid posted:

I had multiple semesters of Java in college and my main complaint about Java was that all the free IDEs I tried really sucked. Netbeans was slow as hell and the primary purpose of Eclipse was to constantly crash. Nowadays there are more options though, and Visual Studio Code probably supports Java better than any of the programs I used.

I must have been fortunate. I used Eclipse all throughout college to program in both C++ and Java without any issues.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BonerKid posted:

If you like C# and SQL you should check out LINQ and Entity Framework, they really simplify databases to the point where you barely need to write any actual SQL queries.

Just be careful with this because it can scale terribly for a lot of data. If things seem slow check out what the linq is compiling to on your sql server.

Linq is great for in memory data manipulation and filtering though.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I thought Netbeans was ok when I used it on ca 2008 vintage hardware - but yes, a little bit slow. I liked it better than Eclipse at the time, but I haven't written any Java for years. Java people I have talked to all love IntelliJ, but that's obviously not free.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Computer viking posted:

I thought Netbeans was ok when I used it on ca 2008 vintage hardware - but yes, a little bit slow. I liked it better than Eclipse at the time, but I haven't written any Java for years. Java people I have talked to all love IntelliJ, but that's obviously not free.

IntelliJ community edition is free, just not as many bells and whistles as paid, and its what all the developers use where I work. Well except for 2 that use eclipse, and no one can help. Or just do it old school and do it all command line and the text editor of your choice.

Scald
May 5, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 years!

MarxCarl posted:

IntelliJ community edition is free, just not as many bells and whistles as paid, and its what all the developers use where I work. Well except for 2 that use eclipse, and no one can help. Or just do it old school and do it all command line and the text editor of your choice.

IntelliJ products (looking at you, RubyMine) are bloated piles of trash that hog inordinate amounts of system resources. I spent a few weeks setting up VIM, and ZSH, and never looked back.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Scald posted:

IntelliJ products (looking at you, RubyMine) are bloated piles of trash that hog inordinate amounts of system resources. I spent a few weeks setting up VIM, and ZSH, and never looked back.

Did it take you a few weeks because you couldn't figure out how to exit out of Vim?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

the ballmer peak is real and i utilize it often
that might help

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://github.com/hakluke/how-to-exit-vim

Scald
May 5, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 years!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Did it take you a few weeks because you couldn't figure out how to exit out of Vim?

Rebinding the meta key is but a part of the process.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

was about to say "just do :q" but then i realized That's The Joke

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
[esc]wq!

gently caress I INSERTED SOMETHING SOMEHOW

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Plinkey posted:

[esc]wq!

gently caress I INSERTED SOMETHING SOMEHOW

surely you dont need the ! if youre also doing w

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I remember when I first learned how to exit vim. What a day!

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

https://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/ed-msg.html

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hbag posted:

surely you dont need the ! if youre also doing w

i dont even know what the ! means, its just habit from vxworks on test flight radar systems

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Plinkey posted:

i dont even know what the ! means, its just habit from vxworks on test flight radar systems

it basically means "gently caress you do it anyway", particularly when vi starts bitching that you have unsaved work when you try and exit

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hbag posted:

it basically means "gently caress you do it anyway", particularly when vi starts bitching that you have unsaved work when you try and exit

that makes sense, since it was the manual for the system and we were spending like 20k an hour flying around

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

w is write, q is quit, so q! Is "quit, even if there are unsaved changes" and wq is "save and quit". Presumably wq! is "try to save, then quit even if it fails"?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Computer viking posted:

w is write, q is quit, so q! Is "quit, even if there are unsaved changes" and wq is "save and quit". Presumably wq! is "try to save, then quit even if it fails"?

Wouldn't have to worry about all that if you just used Ed.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Batterypowered7 posted:

I was going to make a joke of some ridiculous way to exit vim by killing the process in another window but it turns out there is an entire github page just to that. lmao

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Who else owns a laminated vim cheat sheet??

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
re: Vim chat, what's up with the Vim vs. Emacs factions that I seem to see all over the internet? What's so great about either?

For reference, I mostly do Python stuff in Windows for science-related tasks, but I've been meaning to learn Linux since I know the command line tools are really powerful and whatnot.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Zugzwang posted:

re: Vim chat, what's up with the Vim vs. Emacs factions that I seem to see all over the internet? What's so great about either?

For reference, I mostly do Python stuff in Windows for science-related tasks, but I've been meaning to learn Linux since I know the command line tools are really powerful and whatnot.

https://xkcd.com/378/

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i use doom emacs so i can piss off everyone at the same time

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

Plinkey posted:

Honestly python is the second worst way to learn to program behind Javascript

Pick it up after you can think in something strongly typed.

Not everyone desires to be a c++ developer, maybe they want to have a job in an easier language??

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
JavaScript and Python are fun, I use them in production code at my job in Data Visualization

Why yes, Goons did call me a hipster not-real-developer when I asked for advice in the Newbie thread 7 years ago

One more reason I started the OG thread

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Muk Dumpster posted:

Not everyone desires to be a c++ developer, maybe they want to have a job in an easier language??

:hmmyes:

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

Which is better is just personal preference, so at its core it’s just a nerd fight. It’s been going on since at least the 70’s. Just use what you like and move on.

This has a decent comparison of the 2 https://linuxhint.com/vim_vs_emacs/

TLDR nerds fight over anything. Both have benefits and weaknesses, though vim is superior cause it’s not a bloated freaking operating system and Richard Stallman isn’t attached to it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Zugzwang posted:

These days, I think the emacs/vim animosity is sort of a standing joke; they're both marginal and hardcore enough that it no longer feels like a culture war.

Historically, vim was the "I just want a small text editor that's smart enough to not be annoying to program in" choice. The keybindings have a learning curve, but they allow you do do a lot of text operations very fast when you know them.

Emacs is heavier, though to a degree you won't notice anymore - I think it the joke used to be "Eight Megabytes [of RAM] And Constantly Swapping". What you get for that mind-boggling waste of memory is something vaguely related to a modern IDE: You can have multiple documents (including temporary ones to dump text in for a bit), the UI is kind-of menu and drop-down inspired, and the entire program is written in a real programming language that you can interact with and extend from inside the editor. This means you can write your own macros and give them keyboard shortcuts, for one thing. There are also emacs addons that add things like an email client, a calendar, a (supposedly good) project tracking system, and of course you can use it as a calculator, just to start somewhere.

In modern parlance, vim is kind of towards the Notepad++/Sublime text/BBedit end of things - it edits text well, does highlighting and indentation, and if you're adventurous I guess you can bolt on some form of code completion.
Emacs is somewhat akin to using Visual Studio for everything, I guess? The ability to poke around in the internals and add code while running, and working with your document as data is more unusual (though not something you need to use) - it's kind of a LISP hallmark.

(I use ee as my CLI editor, but can fall back to vim if needed. This gives me about the same street cred as only programming in Visual Basic for Applications.)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 26, 2021

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Muk Dumpster posted:

what? the difficulty of using C++ isn't that it's strongly typed, it's that it forces you to do a lot of your own memory management (the better to give you flexibility and the ability to write extremely performant code), and doesn't come with a lot of conveniences out of the box.

you can have a strongly typed language with a large standard library, for example C#

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Muk Dumpster posted:

If you don't learn c++ how are you going to disassemble a dll and modify a single function for a goon private game server of a 20 year old game?

This and nothing else is the purpose of being a programmer.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Everyone who programs seriously should learn how to use a statically typed language at some point, but there's no need for that to be your first language. In my experience it's easier for people who started with a statically typed language to switch to something dynamically typed than it is to go the other way, but it's also easier to get started with something dynamically typed, so there's no really clear best choice there.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Muk Dumpster posted:

Everyone should feel the pain and triumph of seeing how much faster it is to sort an array of structs by pointers vs moving the objects in memory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Plinkey posted:

Everyone should feel the pain and triumph of seeing how much faster it is to sort an array of structs by pointers vs moving the objects in memory

What language are you thinking of that has c style passed-by-value structs but doesn't have pointers available.

Lisp?