Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

The world doesn't stop bleeding during Covid. Blood stores are being depleted and there are shortages. Don't take my word for it, look at this image:

What can we do? Glad you asked. Take a knife, poke yourself just above the elbow. See that? It's blood. That blood is valuable right now.

If you are Canadian you can set up a Frequent Bleeder account here:
https://myaccount.blood.ca/en/user
It's as easy as selecting a date and Bam!

If you are American, start here
https://www.redcrossblood.org/give.html/find-drive

If you live in Europe or anywhere else, then google "Hey how do I give blood where I live?" and you'll be pointed in the right direction I'm sure.

I just saw bread where donuts should be.

This is serious and people need our blood.

Here are the blood types and how they help:

If you are O Negative like me then definitely get your rear end in a chair and save the world.

Of course, practice safety and good sense. Read this mod disclaimer
I do request however that you include a very strong and prominently displayed warning to posters asking them to practice extreme caution and maintain social distancing while giving blood. There is some concern that people showing up at locations that take blood goes against the logic of 'flatting the curve'. I think in this case it might be a worthwhile tradeoff because we can't ignore all other medical issues while we're fighting Covid-19 but I do not want us to do anything that might inadvertently spread the pandemic further.

And get Poked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

I donated a bit before the lockdown in France, and I’ll probably donate again in late April when a donation site pops up in my town again

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I gave my triple platelets yesterday, they've been low since christmas on those where I'm at. They said they haven't noticed a dip in donations when I talked to the phlebotomist, but I imagine that will change in the coming week. I'll have to see what things are like in 2 weeks when I can donate again. Assuming I'm not sick or something.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
They don't want my cancerous blood, so instead I shoved money in their faces.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Here's some eligibility requirements (USA)
I donated a "full blood" on account of not knowing anything about giving blood. Took like 5-10 minutes, and anyone not part of the staff there was like 55+. Don't let the olds be the only ones FILLING THE STREETS WITH BLOOD. :dehumanize:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

:dehumanize:

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Just gave my bag of blood. They took social distancing seriously and there are spots for maybe half the people that they could normally fit. Expect longer wait times, but don't be too concerned about being packed in a room with other people. About every 5 or 10 minutes, a cleaning crew went through the whole space and wiped everything down. Expect to be asked if you feel sick, if you've travelled, if you know anyone who's been sick, etc.

They said they've been busier lately since getting the word out. That's good! We need to bleed.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Signed up for one of the "Power Red" drives in the area for next Saturday. Hopefully it still happens.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Plat or new avatar to the next poster who shows proof of blood donation :regd20:

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

feel better asking here than at the clinic: can you still donate blood if you're high as balls on edibles?

assuming no, how far back do you have to have started your tolerance break before you can give blood? I mean, it takes a month for me to pass a piss test, I hope its not a month.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

MightyBigMinus posted:

feel better asking here than at the clinic: can you still donate blood if you're high as balls on edibles?

assuming no, how far back do you have to have started your tolerance break before you can give blood? I mean, it takes a month for me to pass a piss test, I hope its not a month.

You should be good. Cannabis is non toxic so it isn't like your coming in with a hot shot of meth or heroin

You could always call a donation place you don't plan to donate at and just ask them

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

MightyBigMinus posted:

So, google search suggests that use of marijuana does not preclude you from giving blood. (Intravenous drug use ever does) If the donation station determines you are intoxicated at the time of giving you will be turned away. (due to inability to give consent, or answer the quick questionnaire they run you through as accurately as possible.) My advice: just do it! :dehumanize:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tnega posted:

So, google search suggests that use of marijuana does not preclude you from giving blood. (Intravenous drug use ever does) If the donation station determines you are intoxicated at the time of giving you will be turned away. (due to inability to give consent, or answer the quick questionnaire they run you through as accurately as possible.) My advice: just do it! :dehumanize:

Remember the people writing this article or guideline are boomers who's only idea of marijuana is REEFER MADNESS

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Tnega posted:

Yeah, this is the case. I'm on suboxone maintenance and it wasn't a problem for the donation (and I don't think any questions asks about marijuana either). Just anything intravenous.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Does anyone know if there’s been a lifting of the prohibition on gay men donating? If not I’ll just have to donate money.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Badger of Basra posted:

Does anyone know if there’s been a lifting of the prohibition on gay men donating? If not I’ll just have to donate money.

They'll ask the last time you had gay sex.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

I know gays who lie about it when it shows up on Canadian touch screens

They test and treat the blood anyway.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

They'll ask the last time you had gay sex.

In the US it's a one year limit by federal guidelines. But as said, they test it either way.

I went in last week. Regular Red Cross center was definitely on advanced precautions. Temperature taken at the door, no more than 1-2 people in the whole waiting area, and donors two beds apart in the regular donation area. Since I showed up a bit early I had to wait outside on the bench for a bit.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It's a really silly question. They've been asking women now at my blood bank if they've ever had sex with a man who's had sex with another man. There's no science behind it, it's just homophobia and I ignore those questions. gently caress'em.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

sweet thursday posted:

Plat or new avatar to the next poster who shows proof of blood donation :regd20:

O Neg crew checking in.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I went in to donate earlier today! :buddy: I don't get a receipt or confirmation slip, so you will all just have to take the call-in card as confirmation.

It was unusually busy at the clinic, so I guess a lot of people answered the call to come donate blood. Hell yeah!

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
the only way to donate makes corps money. gently caress them.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Depending on where you live, you can find actual charity hospitals you can donate directly to, rather than going through a blood bank.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Vinestalk posted:

O Neg crew checking in.

You have won an Avatar!

100 years too late, am I right?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
If someone makes a good gangtag for people who donate blood, I'll purchase that gangtag for the next 3 people who donate. Take a picture of your donating arm, middle finger extended, gripping whatever item they tell you to squeeze.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i want another gangtag but I can't donate again till may 4th :smith:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'm talking with the admins about doing gangtags and/or avatar raffles for people who donate blood or 10bux.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

fool of sound posted:

I'm talking with the admins about doing gangtags and/or avatar raffles for people who donate blood or 10bux.

Thank you.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

sweet thursday posted:

Here are the blood types and how they help:

If you are O Negative like me then definitely get your rear end in a chair and save the world.
Please note that the inverse is true if you are giving platelets or plasma - they definitely want your A/B/AB+ component donation!

Platelets in particular only last a week or so and thus are particularly likely to be short in the next few weeks. I'm not the best at going regularly and the Red Cross was really pestering me lately due to massive need.

One more thing: your donation is generally sold to its destination hospital at a slight or significant markup to cover costs of collecting the donation. Think of it as not just donating blood to the Red Cross, but as donating money too.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

fool of sound posted:

:siren:OK so this is going to happen and I'll post the rewards Soon (tm). In the meantime, if you want to enter post some kind of proof of you either giving blood or a 10+ dollar donation to a medical organization.:siren:

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

fool of sound posted:

:siren:OK so this is going to happen and I'll post the rewards Soon (tm). In the meantime, if you want to enter post some kind of proof of you either giving blood or a 10+ dollar donation to a medical organization.:siren:

Thanks for doing this work fool of sound, and thanks for starting this thread sweet thursday.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

O- checking in, the earliest appointment I could make was Sunday for a double red cell donation.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Hello.
I am a conscientious goon who would like to report, I gave a double red cell donation shortly before beginning of California's shelter in place order.
I am also in the gallon club at the San Diego Blood bank, but I tend to give at American Red cross when I see their bloodmobiles too.
I am extremely happy to see that people are giving what they can, to people who need the most.

God speed fellow goons, if you cant give blood, if you don't have money to give, give someone a call and ask them how they're doing.
Practice listening to people as if you have no concern for anything other than what they have to say.
Please get some cardio in. Jump ropes are cheap and awesome for this reason.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

fool of sound posted:

Hi I don't know if you have a tag ready yet but I donated today and thought of a contrast to the previous one-

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gently caress, this chart is everything I ever wanted and didn't know. Thank you.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i will bleed on the 11th of april

universal donor, me

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

V. Illych L. posted:

i will bleed on the 11th of april

universal donor, me

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Type O-, did the needful today, was so anxious about *gestures at everything* that I filled the bag in record time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

:dehumanize: